View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 9:14 am



Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Lions v Browns 
Author Message
QB Coach

Joined: January 13th, 2006, 4:18 am
Posts: 3214
Location: Maryland
Post Lions v Browns
So we look pretty terrible in all phases of the game right now. I know it's the preseason, but the Browns?


August 15th, 2013, 8:09 pm
Profile
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 652
Post Re: Lions v Browns
Well we now know one thing; we are beyond awful without Calvin. Defense looks pathetic, ST still below average.

_________________
Image


August 15th, 2013, 8:31 pm
Profile
Post Re: Lions v Browns
How's that new OL working out? Remember when I said that we've grossly mismanaged the OL over the last decade, and that it's ridiculous that under Mayhew's mismanagement and solely because of Mayhew's fault we have to replace 3 guys on the OL in one season, and everyone blew up at me?

Hmmm... How's that new RT/LT/LG/ combo working out, with that bum of an OC.


August 15th, 2013, 8:37 pm
National Champion

Joined: August 13th, 2006, 11:04 pm
Posts: 871
Location: Washington, DC
Post Re: Lions v Browns
wjb21ndtown wrote:
How's that new OL working out? Remember when I said that we've grossly mismanaged the OL over the last decade, and that it's ridiculous that under Mayhew's mismanagement and solely because of Mayhew's fault we have to replace 3 guys on the OL in one season, and everyone blew up at me?

Hmmm... How's that new RT/LT/LG/ combo working out, with that bum of an OC.



In this game?

I'd say that O-line is doing a piss poor job on defense... oh wait they don't play defense.

Hmmm....


August 15th, 2013, 8:50 pm
Profile
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3814
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Lions v Browns
wjb21ndtown wrote:
How's that new OL working out? Remember when I said that we've grossly mismanaged the OL over the last decade, and that it's ridiculous that under Mayhew's mismanagement and solely because of Mayhew's fault we have to replace 3 guys on the OL in one season, and everyone blew up at me?

Hmmm... How's that new RT/LT/LG/ combo working out, with that bum of an OC.


I'm sorry.....who said the O-line was going to be good this year? You should start your posts with " Com'ere dead horse, I wanna kick your badonkadonk"

You can single out the o-line all you want, but we look TERRIBLE in all phases of today's game. staff was a tad off, Pett was being Pett, no one tackled for jack, the list goes on.

The only thing positive I can say is Reggie will fill the Best role very nicely when Linehan opens the play book in week one.

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


August 15th, 2013, 8:55 pm
Profile
National Champion

Joined: August 13th, 2006, 11:04 pm
Posts: 871
Location: Washington, DC
Post Re: Lions v Browns
Hey, Rugland is 3 for 3 so far in preseason. Anyone else want to see him make the team.


August 15th, 2013, 9:45 pm
Profile
Post Re: Lions v Browns
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
How's that new OL working out? Remember when I said that we've grossly mismanaged the OL over the last decade, and that it's ridiculous that under Mayhew's mismanagement and solely because of Mayhew's fault we have to replace 3 guys on the OL in one season, and everyone blew up at me?

Hmmm... How's that new RT/LT/LG/ combo working out, with that bum of an OC.


I'm sorry.....who said the O-line was going to be good this year? You should start your posts with " Com'ere dead horse, I wanna kick your badonkadonk"

You can single out the o-line all you want, but we look TERRIBLE in all phases of today's game. staff was a tad off, Pett was being Pett, no one tackled for jack, the list goes on.

The only thing positive I can say is Reggie will fill the Best role very nicely when Linehan opens the play book in week one.


1) it's not that I'm saying that anyone said the OL would be good this year. I said three years ago that Mayhew was grossly neglecting the OL, watching Backus and Dom get older (and Sims), watching their careers decline, and continuously passing on players like Alex Mack, Stefan Wisenweski, David DeCastro, and Peter Kontz. Only to take a project OT two year ago that hasn't looked good, relied on a crummy RT that everyone said "would be fine," and yet AGAIN rolled with a crappy, washed up OC. And everyone blew up at me and told me that Mayhew had this "great plan" and I was "just pouting because we didn't draft my players" (not true, I would have been happy filing those positions, even without the guys I wanted, so long as they worked out), and that I couldn't see it just yet. Hmmmm... How's that worked out?

2) Who said the OL would be good? Uhmmm MOST EVERYONE ON HERE. Probably you too. Go check the thread discusing the composition of the OL this year where people said that Nagy would be our OC, that we may sign a LT still, that Reiff may play RT, that our RT spot was filled with any one of three guys, all of whom were going to play great, etc. In that thread I said that everyone was crazy, Dom was going to start, Dom was going to suck, Reiff was going to start at LT (well, I technically said "who is going to start at LT, Reiff isn't ready, but I believe I speculated that he would be the starter, but it would be a bad move... and looks like I was right so far.).


August 15th, 2013, 9:51 pm
Post Re: Lions v Browns
Hystrix wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
How's that new OL working out? Remember when I said that we've grossly mismanaged the OL over the last decade, and that it's ridiculous that under Mayhew's mismanagement and solely because of Mayhew's fault we have to replace 3 guys on the OL in one season, and everyone blew up at me?

Hmmm... How's that new RT/LT/LG/ combo working out, with that bum of an OC.



In this game?

I'd say that O-line is doing a piss poor job on defense... oh wait they don't play defense.

Hmmm....


OL has looked horrible since I turned the game on (close to the end of the first Q). How can you say otherwise? We've scored two FGs, cant' move the ball, Cleaveland isn't even pass rushing (Hill is out there running the ball for God's sake), and our first team offense has yet to score, all preseason. Yea, OL is doing great.


August 15th, 2013, 9:53 pm
National Champion

Joined: August 13th, 2006, 11:04 pm
Posts: 871
Location: Washington, DC
Post Re: Lions v Browns
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
How's that new OL working out? Remember when I said that we've grossly mismanaged the OL over the last decade, and that it's ridiculous that under Mayhew's mismanagement and solely because of Mayhew's fault we have to replace 3 guys on the OL in one season, and everyone blew up at me?

Hmmm... How's that new RT/LT/LG/ combo working out, with that bum of an OC.



In this game?

I'd say that O-line is doing a piss poor job on defense... oh wait they don't play defense.

Hmmm....


OL has looked horrible since I turned the game on (close to the end of the first Q). How can you say otherwise? We've scored two FGs, cant' move the ball, Cleaveland isn't even pass rushing (Hill is out there running the ball for God's sake), and our first team offense has yet to score, all preseason. Yea, OL is doing great.


No. I totally understand.

I mean, I see us giving up 3 TDs to the friggin Browns. Yeah, that's all about the O-line.

Plus, the pizza I ordered had burnt crust! BURNT CRUST. I blame the Lions O-line for that too!


August 15th, 2013, 10:06 pm
Profile
Post Re: Lions v Browns
Hystrix wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
How's that new OL working out? Remember when I said that we've grossly mismanaged the OL over the last decade, and that it's ridiculous that under Mayhew's mismanagement and solely because of Mayhew's fault we have to replace 3 guys on the OL in one season, and everyone blew up at me?

Hmmm... How's that new RT/LT/LG/ combo working out, with that bum of an OC.



In this game?

I'd say that O-line is doing a piss poor job on defense... oh wait they don't play defense.

Hmmm....


OL has looked horrible since I turned the game on (close to the end of the first Q). How can you say otherwise? We've scored two FGs, cant' move the ball, Cleaveland isn't even pass rushing (Hill is out there running the ball for God's sake), and our first team offense has yet to score, all preseason. Yea, OL is doing great.


No. I totally understand.

I mean, I see us giving up 3 TDs to the friggin Browns. Yeah, that's all about the O-line.

Plus, the pizza I ordered had burnt crust! BURNT CRUST. I blame the Lions O-line for that too!


I get that, but when the O is constantly going 3 and out, it kills the D. If our O could constantly sustain drives, like most good teams, our D would be significantly better.


August 15th, 2013, 10:33 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: March 5th, 2009, 8:42 pm
Posts: 2230
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Post Re: Lions v Browns
I won't overreact to a preseason game but I think our the staff severely overrated Don Carey. He is no better than Spievey. The fact that we didn't draft a capable safety because we were confident in him speaks volumes about the stupidity of our FO. Don't you think Jacksonville could've used a solid safety? Yet they got rid of this scrub. How could anyone possibly think this guy is starting material. Or did we really think we were in a position to go all in on Delmas and his degenerate knees.

Stafford really needs to get his **** together because he has played like crap ever since last season. CJ is a stud but Stafford has done nothing IN HIS CAREER to make anyone else better. He is probably the biggest disappointment of the preseason so far. I can't shake the feeling that behind closed doors, our coaches do nothing but tell Stafford how perfect he is every week because he has not shaken ANY of his bad habits.

_________________
Matthew Stafford is the only player in NFL history who is allowed to smoke cigarettes in the team huddle. He just chooses not to


August 16th, 2013, 12:14 am
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3682
Location: WSU
Post Re: Lions v Browns
Overall terrible performance by the Lions.

QB - Stafford looked better with his reads and throws were crisp but it didnt result in a lot of production. Hill is doing a good job with the 2nd group. Kellen Moore really doesnt look he belongs, I see more promise in Thaddeus Lewis and maybe he ll play more in the final preseason game. I dont understand the 2 training camp investment in Moore, it needs to stop.
RB - Bush flashed some signs of how he will help. I cant help but think the team might be better off with him taking more snaps with another back with him or spreading him out to a wide out slot with another back in the game rather than out of empty backfield. Maybe we ll see it in the regular season. LeShoure didnt have a great game, he runs hard but doesnt get a lot of extra yards. Bell was solid. Riddick and Miller did fine late in the game but were playing vs soft defenses with backups.
WR - This group especially without Calvin is a disgrace. How many short WR/PRs can a team have? Burleson struggled to get open but when Stafford threaded the needle anyway couldnt hold on to the ball. Broyles didnt get much of an opportunity. Patrick Edwards made some catches but was blanketed by a very good corner in Joe Haden. Things would perhaps be different if Calvin Johnson was on the field but still nobody in the first group had a strong performance. Terrence Austin and Matt Willis were decent with the second unit and might be fighting for a roster spot. Did Mike Thomas even play? Spurlock isnt showing to be a threat in the return game. Corey Fuller plays so little he might be a cut.
TE - Pettigrew s drop was classic but he s going to be an important target. Even the 4-5 yard plays on first down are valuable with the lack of run blocking that the OL can generate. Didnt see Scheffler get involved. WIlliams was used as an extra blocker and could ve been better but did play some with the first unit meaning he s probably in the running to make the team.
OL - Raiola and SIms played pretty well. RG Scott was okay. Fox did okay but nothing that stood out in a positive way. Reiff is overmatched at LT even against low level competition. Hilliard and Warford seemed significantly worse than Fox and Scott. Warford did play better later on but had a penalty. Communication bw the lineman seems to be a problem - not a surprise given the turnover, inexperience and the 3-4 scheme Cleveland had with a lot of zone type blitzes. Gandy and Austin did okay later in the game.

DL - Suh makes some plays but still overall seems to not be playing within anytype of scheme. He doesnt seem to have any responsibiilities and makes no read other than to follow the ball or to seize an opportunity to take a cheap shot. I thought that Fairley played extremely well, much better than Suh within a team concept. CJ Mosley does not appear to be good enough to be the 3rd tackle. Israel Idonije and Jason Jones were pretty good vs the run at DE but didnt get a lot of pressure. Ansah seems to be holding his own but again not really any pressure and got fooled by the screen game. Willie Young played poorly enough to warrant a cut except one play where he jumped the snap and made a tackle for loss. Ronnel Lewis seems be getting better and Devin Taylor showed some speed and hustle. Sadler-McQueen and Fluellen might have a shot at the 4th DT spot. Maybe they keep 5 DEs and let Jones or Idonije take some tackle reps.

LB - Tulloch seemed to be only one on any of the units that is worth anything. Levy didnt play very well but is clearly much better than the rest. Ashlee Palmer didnt appear worthy of being an NFL starter but had a much better game than either of Travis Lewis or Whitehead who was blowing tackles and coverage all over the place. Cory Greenwood got some PT and so did Hepburn - anyone has a shot. Lions have 1 starter and no depth at the position.

CB - Even Chris Houston got beat deep but the pass was dropped. Bartell had a bad game which by default would make Darius Slay the starter? Except he didnt stand out but at least was tackling and not making penalties. Bill Bentely got some PT. The rest of the guys probably dont a shot unless there are injuries considering that Jonte Green and Chris Greenwood will probably make the team.

S - Don Carey was slow to react in coverage. Its hard to believe that alll of the coverage problems were his fault given the abuse Bartell took and the overall lack of quality LB support in coverage. I think Im just giving Glover Quinn a free pass for now. Hopefully Delmas is out just precautionarily bc he will be needed. Hope did have decent coverage and was better than a week ago.

K - Akers looks fine, Rugland has been good but I dont see any reason why he would beat out Akers. Rugland s leg power doesnt seem to translate to kickoffs for some reason.
P - Martin didnt have a good day and was basically 1/4 on punts but got deep kickoffs. Clingan maybe had an opportunity but didnt really boom the kicks any better.


August 16th, 2013, 1:24 am
Profile
Varsity Captain
User avatar

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 11:24 am
Posts: 310
Post Re: Lions v Browns
Hystrix wrote:
Hey, Rugland is 3 for 3 so far in preseason. Anyone else want to see him make the team.


Absolutely.

_________________
Just a thought...


August 16th, 2013, 7:08 am
Profile
National Champion

Joined: August 13th, 2006, 11:04 pm
Posts: 871
Location: Washington, DC
Post Re: Lions v Browns
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
How's that new OL working out? Remember when I said that we've grossly mismanaged the OL over the last decade, and that it's ridiculous that under Mayhew's mismanagement and solely because of Mayhew's fault we have to replace 3 guys on the OL in one season, and everyone blew up at me?

Hmmm... How's that new RT/LT/LG/ combo working out, with that bum of an OC.



In this game?

I'd say that O-line is doing a piss poor job on defense... oh wait they don't play defense.

Hmmm....


OL has looked horrible since I turned the game on (close to the end of the first Q). How can you say otherwise? We've scored two FGs, cant' move the ball, Cleaveland isn't even pass rushing (Hill is out there running the ball for God's sake), and our first team offense has yet to score, all preseason. Yea, OL is doing great.


No. I totally understand.

I mean, I see us giving up 3 TDs to the friggin Browns. Yeah, that's all about the O-line.

Plus, the pizza I ordered had burnt crust! BURNT CRUST. I blame the Lions O-line for that too!


I get that, but when the O is constantly going 3 and out, it kills the D. If our O could constantly sustain drives, like most good teams, our D would be significantly better.


Hey, man. I admit, the o-line wasn't great. But 3 out of 5 are relatively new. They need to gel. Playing parts of 2 preseason games isn't going to do that.

The Defense, on the other hand, concerns me. Giving up 24 points to Cleveland. It's like no one even tried.


August 16th, 2013, 7:39 am
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12130
Post Re: Lions v Browns
Falkes wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
Hey, Rugland is 3 for 3 so far in preseason. Anyone else want to see him make the team.


Absolutely.
Agreed. I would like to see the Lions make another bold move involving kicker.

Kickalicious headbang.gif

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


August 16th, 2013, 9:11 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Killwill25 and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.