View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 2:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 I think we need to devise a strategy.... 
NFL Veteran

Post Re: I think we need to devise a strategy....
BillySims wrote:
At the time I posted this topic, I was away from my radio and Washington hadn't started their comeback yet. Glad to see that Philly's offense petered out. But, it's really more than just Philly. It won't be long and the huddle will be a thing of the past and I think using 2 Different D-lines will become common practice.

Teams don't just use the huddle on offense to call a play, some teams want a slow moving game. If no huddle got big you are more than likely to see the return of the power running attack to keep the opposing offense off the field and to beat up the smaller defensive players that become prevalent with the fast speed offenses. None of the stuff happening today is new strategies, it's just old stuff that's come back around like things always do in the NFL.

September 10th, 2013, 5:53 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Manning in Denver and Indy as well as Brady already run a no-huddle offense. It's purpose is to get right back to the line of scrimmage and not let defenses make substitutions. Having 2 lines doesn't help since they're not able to swap in and out between plays. We already run a very effective rotation. The only difference is how quickly philly was snapping the ball. Brady ran 13 more plays than the Eagles offense did. Manning always lines up right away but audibles until the play clock is low.

Any defense that is on the field for a full drive, run back a fumble, stay on another drive, have your offense fumble, stay on for a drive, have your offense throw interception, stay on for drive, have your offense give up safety and then go out for another drive would be gassed. They could have been playing the Jaguar's offense and they'd be tired.

I am not scared of Philly's offense or defense against us. They'll score, but they can't stop us either. We can stop them. Same with Washington. They aren't the threat they were last year until RG3 is the running threat he was, and that'll be awhile.

September 10th, 2013, 6:14 pm
Hall of Fame Player

njroar wrote:
Manning in Denver and Indy as well as Brady already run a no-huddle offense. It's purpose is to get right back to the line of scrimmage and not let defenses make substitutions. Having 2 lines doesn't help since they're not able to swap in and out between plays. We already run a very effective rotation. The only difference is how quickly philly was snapping the ball. Brady ran 13 more plays than the Eagles offense did. Manning always lines up right away but audibles until the play clock is low.

Any defense that is on the field for a full drive, run back a fumble, stay on another drive, have your offense fumble, stay on for a drive, have your offense throw interception, stay on for drive, have your offense give up safety and then go out for another drive would be gassed. They could have been playing the Jaguar's offense and they'd be tired.

I am not scared of Philly's offense or defense against us. They'll score, but they can't stop us either. We can stop them. Same with Washington. They aren't the threat they were last year until RG3 is the running threat he was, and that'll be awhile.

The idea of 2 different d-lines is not to swap them in the same defensive series. It's to use 1 of them for 1 defensive series and then use the other one on the next defensive series. That way both lines stay fresh and get time to catch their wind.

September 10th, 2013, 7:05 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

But that's what our rotation does now. All of the Dline ran about 50% of the snaps, except for Suh, who played about 80%.

September 11th, 2013, 11:02 am
Hall of Fame Player

njroar wrote:
But that's what our rotation does now. All of the Dline ran about 50% of the snaps, except for Suh, who played about 80%.

And our current rotation only works if we have the opportunity to swap players during a drive. The no huddle doesn't offer the opportunity unless the offense swaps players.

September 11th, 2013, 11:53 am
QB Coach

BillySims wrote:
njroar wrote:

And our current rotation only works if we have the opportunity to swap players during a drive. The no huddle doesn't offer the opportunity unless the offense swaps players.

So how is what you're proposing accomplishing anything different than the current rotation? In both cases, changes won't be able to be made during a drive (except when the offense makes a change), and different players could rotate in for different drives. So what changes? Am I missing something?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

September 11th, 2013, 12:02 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
BillySims wrote:
njroar wrote:

So how is what you're proposing accomplishing anything different than the current rotation? In both cases, changes won't be able to be made during a drive (except when the offense makes a change), and different players could rotate in for different drives. So what changes? Am I missing something?

While 1 of the D-lines are in the game, the other Dline would be on the sideline getting their wind back. What the heck is so difficult to understand about this concept? 1 D-line would be in the game the whole defensive series until our Offense goes back into the game. Thereby, allowing the other D-line to rest and catch their breath. That way, our Defense never gets completely exhausted like Washington's did in the 1st half. And Philly likely doesn't build as big of a lead due to the defense being exhausted.

Keep the D-line fresh and play zone with the Linebackers so that they, ( the LBers), aren't playing sideline to sideline, and the defense should stay relatively fresh.

September 11th, 2013, 12:28 pm
QB Coach

BillySims wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
BillySims wrote:
njroar wrote:

While 1 of the D-lines are in the game, the other Dline would be on the sideline getting their wind back. What the heck is so difficult to understand about this concept? 1 D-line would be in the game the whole defensive series until our Offense goes back into the game. Thereby, allowing the other D-line to rest and catch their breath. That way, our Defense never gets completely exhausted like Washington's did in the 1st half. And Philly likely doesn't build as big of a lead due to the defense being exhausted.

Keep the D-line fresh and play zone with the Linebackers so that they, ( the LBers), aren't playing sideline to sideline, and the defense should stay relatively fresh.

A couple things:

1. This is still no different than rotating guys. Guys currently rotate in on given plays, but against a team like Philly they'd be rotating less frequently, and guys would have a chance to catch their breath while they waited to rotate back in. Whether it's an entirely different line or just a rotation, the end result is the same. Some guys will have time to catch their breath between playing rotations.
2. It wasn't Washington's defense getting tired that allowed Philly to build a big lead. It was Washington making dumb mistakes. Once they cleaned it up and made some adjustments on the defensive side of the ball, they dramatically slowed Philly's offense in the second half.

In the end, I think the idea of a second line is unnecessary. Guys get breaks through rotating, so another line or lineup doesn't accomplish anything new. Also, Philly isn't very good, so there's no need to create a whole new thing just because of them. When Philly plays a good team they're going to get stomped. Plus, it's very likely Vick gets injured, and then that offense will really struggle.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

September 11th, 2013, 12:37 pm
NFL Veteran

The worst part of the 2 line idea is now you have become deficient on your defensive line 100% of the game because you never have all your best players on the field.

The Lions ran just as many plays on offense as the Eagles did in their game, there is absolutely no reason to even look at the Eagles offense as something special. Teams already play faster than they do and they almost gave that game back to the Redskins because they left their own defense out on the field to much. The Eagle have the same problem the Lions have, they can't run on short yardage and they can't run to closeout a game.

September 11th, 2013, 1:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2