View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 24th, 2014, 5:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Leshoure not demanding trade, but other teams want him 
Modmin Dude

Post Leshoure not demanding trade, but other teams want him
Freep wrote:
Frustrated RB Mikel Leshoure not demanding trade from Detroit Lions, but other teams want him
3:07 PM, September 25, 2013

In the span of nine short months, Mikel Leshoure has gone from starter to security blanket.

Leshoure, the Detroit Lions’ little-used third-year running back, said he’s frustrated by his reduced role this fall but has not asked the Lions for a trade.

As for reports that he’s open to a deal, well, Leshoure didn’t exactly deny it.

“I just want to play,” he said. “I want to play. Like I said before, there’s a lot of speculation just because of the fact that I’m not on the field and people just wondering what’s going on. But I want to play, and that’s it.”

With Reggie Bush sidelined by a sprained knee, Leshoure was active for the first time this year in last week’s 27-20 win over Washington. But he never saw the field, with the Lions relying exclusively on Joique Bell and rookie Theo Riddick at running back.

A second-round pick in 2011 who missed his entire rookie season with a torn Achilles tendon, Leshoure led the Lions with 798 rushing yards and nine touchdowns in 14 games last fall.

He said he talked with Lions general manager Martin Mayhew at the start of the season and was told he’s not on the trading block.

The Indianapolis Colts inquired about acquiring Leshoure before they traded for Trent Richardson last week, and several other teams reached out about Leshoure during training camp.

“Last time I talked to him, he pretty much said that he wants me here, he doesn’t have any intentions on trading me, and it’s a long season, and he just wants me to be here, just in case,” Leshoure said of Mayhew. “You never know what happens. Like I said, it’s a long season, backs get banged up, somebody can go down and I guess (I’m) more so a security blanket.”

Bush returned to practice today and is expected to play Sunday against the Chicago Bears. Bell and Riddick, both superior pass catchers to Leshoure, remain in the running back rotation, meaning Leshoure probably will be inactive for the third time in four games Sunday.

Leshoure said he’s healthy, available and feels “like I’m better than a reserve player and I have more to give.”

“It’s frustrating,” he said. “You want to play, obviously, and you want to be out there, especially knowing that you can help. It’s frustrating. I don’t really know what the issue is, why I wouldn’t be out here and why I didn’t play. But I didn’t. That’s pretty much it.”

Contact Dave Birkett: dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @davebirkett.

Beat writer Dave Birkett will answer your Lions questions in a live chat at 10 a.m. Friday at freep.com/sports. Submit early questions here. Then join special writer Nick Meyer for a live blog of the Lions-Bears game Sunday. Enter here to win tickets to the Thanksgiving game. And play NFL Pick 'Em each week to win valuable cash and prizes.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130925/S ... oure-trade

September 25th, 2013, 3:18 pm
NFL Veteran

Post Re: Leshoure not demanding trade, but other teams want him
If rumors are true other teams tried to get him during training camp and they keep refusing the offers makes it seem more like he will be traded. It could just be the fit issue since he's not a great pass catcher, but with the rumors it seems likely they just don't want him to get hurt while they try to get decent value for him.

September 25th, 2013, 4:01 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

rao wrote:
If rumors are true other teams tried to get him during training camp and they keep refusing the offers makes it seem more like he will be traded. It could just be the fit issue since he's not a great pass catcher, but with the rumors it seems likely they just don't want him to get hurt while they try to get decent value for him.

Fingers crossed here, but hopefully we can use him to get a solid WR.

September 25th, 2013, 4:08 pm

gotta think if anything of value was offerred the Lions would take it. leshoure doesnt have a lot of value and its hard to believe that a team would trade a No 2 WR for a 3rd/4th RB

September 25th, 2013, 5:07 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Sick of this bum.

September 25th, 2013, 5:17 pm

The Legend wrote:
gotta think if anything of value was offerred the Lions would take it. leshoure doesnt have a lot of value and its hard to believe that a team would trade a No 2 WR for a 3rd/4th RB

Agreed, but if packaging him with the deal means a trade would cost us say a 4th or 5th instead of a 3rd, I'd say we got pretty good value out of him.

September 25th, 2013, 5:29 pm

regularjoe12 wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Agreed, but if packaging him with the deal means a trade would cost us say a 4th or 5th instead of a 3rd, I'd say we got pretty good value out of him.

i dont see why a rebuilding team would want anything other than draft picks and leshoure probably isnt good enough to help good teams that think they are a starting RB upgrade away from a playoff run.

September 25th, 2013, 5:46 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

serious question, would you take Kevin Smith right now over Leshoure?

September 25th, 2013, 10:48 pm

Killwill25 wrote:

probably not. i think the Lions have found a role in there offense for Bell that works nicely to complement Bush. Riddick has a similar profile as Bush and can do some of the same things but to a lesser degree. LeShoure has a similar profile to Bell, powerful runner inside the tackles and though i ve seen his pass catching ability criticized lately he can make a catch. if bell misses some time, they can go to leshoure without making too many scheme adjustments. smith is a difft type of player, he doesnt have leshoure s power and probably not even his straight line speed but he has much better vision and is more elusive but goes down pretty easy and isnt a good player for quick hit the hole type of plays. he s also a pretty good receiver and in a vacuum i think he s better than leshoure overall if i had to give a "madden" like numerical grade but i understand why leshoure fits the lions better than kevin smith for the 2013 season.

September 25th, 2013, 11:44 pm
NFL Veteran

The Legend wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

probably not. i think the Lions have found a role in there offense for Bell that works nicely to complement Bush. Riddick has a similar profile as Bush and can do some of the same things but to a lesser degree. LeShoure has a similar profile to Bell, powerful runner inside the tackles and though i ve seen his pass catching ability criticized lately he can make a catch. if bell misses some time, they can go to leshoure without making too many scheme adjustments. smith is a difft type of player, he doesnt have leshoure s power and probably not even his straight line speed but he has much better vision and is more elusive but goes down pretty easy and isnt a good player for quick hit the hole type of plays. he s also a pretty good receiver and in a vacuum i think he s better than leshoure overall if i had to give a "madden" like numerical grade but i understand why leshoure fits the lions better than kevin smith for the 2013 season.

Other than size I really don't see anything similar in Bell and Leshoure. They run completely different and in the very limited time Leshoure has been on the field I don't remember him ever displaying the ability to make a big play like Bell.

September 25th, 2013, 11:58 pm

rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

Other than size I really don't see anything similar in Bell and Leshoure. They run completely different and in the very limited time Leshoure has been on the field I don't remember him ever displaying the ability to make a big play like Bell.

im not arguing who is better or worse just the running styles. bell reads blocks better thats the biggest difference. otherwise they are EXTREMELY similar runners and if Bell goes down it wont be Riddick taking Bell's reps it ll be LeShoure.

September 26th, 2013, 2:52 am
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

im not arguing who is better or worse just the running styles. bell reads blocks better thats the biggest difference. otherwise they are EXTREMELY similar runners and if Bell goes down it wont be Riddick taking Bell's reps it ll be LeShoure.

Both are power runners, but I think Bell runs lower to the ground. LeShoure has a little more lateral movement ability, but that gets him in trouble at times. Bell has MUCH better vision and his decisions running the ball are better as a result. He takes what the line gives him, even if it means no yards. LeShoure seems to be taken down easier than Bell, and I believe that is because Bell runs lower to the ground.

September 26th, 2013, 10:02 am
NFL Veteran

m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

Both are power runners, but I think Bell runs lower to the ground. LeShoure has a little more lateral movement ability, but that gets him in trouble at times. Bell has MUCH better vision and his decisions running the ball are better as a result. He takes what the line gives him, even if it means no yards. LeShoure seems to be taken down easier than Bell, and I believe that is because Bell runs lower to the ground.

I don't think Bell is a power runner really. He'll lower his head, but he always makes small shallow cuts to get angles when getting hit so that he wont get knocked off balance. Leshoure just tries to knock the other guy down or dance around and ends up going nowhere. They are both north/south runners but I think Bell's running style has a lot more finesse and technique to it than power. If something happens to Bell I think there will be a noticeable difference in the offense that they wont be able to replicate with anyone on the roster.

September 26th, 2013, 11:16 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

The Legend wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
The Legend wrote:

i dont see why a rebuilding team would want anything other than draft picks and leshoure probably isnt good enough to help good teams that think they are a starting RB upgrade away from a playoff run.

Yeah I don't see Leshoure going to a Rebuilding team, I see us waiting for a at least mid level contender team already thin at RB to lose a starter to Injury, then trade Leshoure with leverage. He is better than plenty of backs sitting on couches right now, or those backs would be signed, he just isn't better than our starters, primarily because he cant catch in addition to not being the same player we drafted (hard runner).

September 26th, 2013, 11:45 am
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

DJ-B wrote:

Yeah I don't see Leshoure going to a Rebuilding team, I see us waiting for a at least mid level contender team already thin at RB to lose a starter to Injury, then trade Leshoure with leverage. He is better than plenty of backs sitting on couches right now, or those backs would be signed, he just isn't better than our starters, primarily because he cant catch in addition to not being the same player we drafted (hard runner).

Is the trade deadline still week 6? Or did that change?

I don't think the Lions are going to move LeShoure. Just my gut instinct. I think they enjoy having that much depth at the position, and prefer to keep it that way.

September 26th, 2013, 2:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next