View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 23rd, 2014, 5:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Next Up: Green Bay Packers 
Pop Warner Allstar

Post Next Up: Green Bay Packers
I know there's another thread but it was about the Vegas odds.

I do think I.E. nailed it. The Packers are going to miss Woodson. As Lions fans, I think we all know what it's like to not have a solid safety, especially as much as the Packers relied on Woodson. Really, Delmas and Quin made Mathis and Houston look like a serviceable CB duo over the last few games.
This is such a winnable game for the Lions, though I'm not picking them to win outright because of the history factor. When the Lions show me they can win at Lambeau, I'll start believing.
I do think these are pretty much the keys to winning the game, as M2K outlined in the point spread thread.
m2karateman wrote:
Three things are going to determine just how close this game will be, and if the Lions can honestly get out of there with a win.

1. Will the real Matt Stafford please stand up?
-Stafford was very inconsistent against Chicago, and he really wasn't being pressured all that much. I could understand being off time with Durham and Broyles, since he has rarely thrown to them this season. But he was missing other receivers as well. And sorry, but it shouldn't matter who is running the pattern, he's gotta get them the ball in a catchable location. If Stafford shows up, and is 'on', then Green Bay could be facing a tough day.

2. One Bush is worth two in the hand.
-Can Reggie slash through the Green Bay defense like he did against Chicago. I'd rate the Packer linebackers as being faster than the Chicago backers, and tougher for our lineman to get to and block in front of Reggie. Should Reggie establish himself, the Packers will have to stack the box and force one on one coverage with our TEs and receivers other than CJ. Should Matt be throwing well, he could carve them up.

3. Cover me, I'm going in.
-Our secondary is a bit banged up, and the Packers have a great QB and a really good receiving corps. They have rested for a week and are likely looking to establish themselves as the true elite team in the NFC North. I don't expect the Lions secondary to shut out their receivers, but if they can hold coverage long enough to allow the pass pressure to get to Rogers, we could be in business. The Packers one true question mark is their offensive line. The Bengals were able to sack Rogers four times, and he threw two picks while under pressure. If the Lions can avoid giving up the chunk plays on the ground and in the air, they'll be in position to win.

October 1st, 2013, 5:55 pm
3rd Round Selection

Post Re: Next Up: Green Bay Packers
If we win this, I'm 90% sure we make the playoffs. 4-1, 3 wins vs the division, a schedule that isn't looking too tough.

And I think we can win this. Feels odd as a Lions fan to feel that way.

If we lose it, I don't think that's season over by any means. Just if we win it, we are very well set.

October 2nd, 2013, 6:43 am
Red Shirt Freshman

If they can make Lions history and beat the Fudge Packers in Green Bay, then they would have a reasonable chance of getting to 7-1 before having to play Chicago again in Chicago. After Green Bay they play:

at Cleveland
Cincinnati
Dallas

Those three teams are all beatable for them (and aren't traditional Lions killers like Green Bay). Heck, if they could be 6-2 at the Bye, I think we'd all be very happy. They wouldn't be in bad shape at 5-3, either. The schedule also lightens up a bit:

@Chicago (going to be a very tough game)
@Pittsburgh (very beatable)
Tampa Bay (very beatable)
Green Bay (always a very tough game)
@Philadelphia (very beatable)
Baltimore (tough game)
New York (looking very beatable)
@Minnesota (at this point, probably very beatable)

I can see them going 5-3 during the second half or even 6-2. A 10-6 record for the season is not out of the question courtesy of an easier last place schedule. They could even get to 11-5. If Reggie Bush stays healthy, 11-5 is doable. :idea:

October 2nd, 2013, 11:43 am
Pop Warner Allstar

Growler wrote:
If they can make Lions history and beat the Fudge Packers in Green Bay, then they would have a reasonable chance of getting to 7-1 before having to play Chicago again in Chicago. After Green Bay they play:

at Cleveland
Cincinnati
Dallas

Those three teams are all beatable for them (and aren't traditional Lions killers like Green Bay). Heck, if they could be 6-2 at the Bye, I think we'd all be very happy. They wouldn't be in bad shape at 5-3, either. The schedule also lightens up a bit:

Baltimore (tough game)

I can see them going 5-3 during the second half or even 6-2. A 10-6 record for the season is not out of the question courtesy of an easier last place schedule. They could even get to 11-5. If Reggie Bush stays healthy, 11-5 is doable. :idea:

11-5 is probably home field advantage in the NFC this year. Giants are gone, if the Packers lose one more game to the Leos their chances aren't looking good. Chicago has a tough part of their schedule coming up, Minny looks out of this... Who in the NFC is looking like they can challenge a 11-5 record right now?

October 2nd, 2013, 11:48 am
NFL Veteran

Growler wrote:

at Cleveland
Cincinnati
Dallas

Baltimore (tough game)

The funny thing about the schedule is that before the season started it was considered one of the hardest schedules in the league with the East and North being looked at as really tough divisions for the NFC along with the AFC West having two tough teams. The schedule looks nice right now, but I could easily see more than a few of the teams flipping a switch at any point and going on a run.

October 2nd, 2013, 12:02 pm
Butkus Award Winner

To win this game we'll probably need all of the following: under 40 penalty yards, a steady ground game to eat up the clock all and keep the ball as far from Rodgers as possible, and solid ST play.

I think we lose this one if Houston is out. If he's in, we can just as well win.

As of now, I say Lions: 20, Packers: 24

October 2nd, 2013, 3:19 pm
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Three starters in Lions’ secondary miss practice
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 2, 2013, 4:07 PM EDT

The Packers are not a team you want to face with a depleted secondary. But that’s what the Lions may have to do on Sunday.

With an NFC North showdown looming on Sunday in Green Bay, three starters in Detroit’s secondary were held out of practice today: cornerback Chris Houston with a hamstring injury, safety Glover Quin with an ankle injury and safety Louis Delmas with a knee injury.

Of those three, Houston seems to be the one in greatest danger of missing Sunday’s game. Houston suffered the injury on Sunday against the Bears, and coach Jim Schwartz didn’t sound optimistic about a quick recovery afterward.

If there’s any good news in the Lions’ secondary, it’s that the other starting cornerback, Rashean Mathis, was back to practice after missing most of Sunday’s win over the Bears with a head injury. If Houston can’t go on Sunday, Mathis and rookie Darius Slay will be the two starting cornerbacks against the Packers.

Lions receiver Calvin Johnson missed practice with a knee injury, but that’s not a cause for concern. The Lions frequently give Johnson time off with minor aches and pains, but he’ll be ready to go on Sunday. The Lions will have to hope Johnson can have a big game because it’s almost a sure thing that Aaron Rodgers and Co. will have a big game against the Lions’ banged-up defensive backs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -practice/
PFT wrote:
Packers rule out Casey Hayward and James Starks
Posted by Josh Alper on October 2, 2013, 3:44 PM EDT

A week off wasn’t enough for two members of the Packers to get healthy enough to play against the Lions this Sunday.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy said that neither cornerback Casey Hayward nor running back James Starks will be in the lineup. Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that McCarthy said he didn’t know when Hayward would be recovered from the hamstring injury that has kept him out for the entire regular season.

Starks hurt his knee in Week Three against the Bengals and McCarthy said Wednesday that it would be a couple of weeks before he’s well enough to return. Eddie Lacy has been practicing this week after recovering from a concussion suffered against the Redskins in Week Two.

Tight end Jermichael Finley was a full participant in practice as he makes his return from his own concussion. Linebacker Clay Matthews was limited by a hamstring injury, but McCarthy said that he’s doing better and the team is hopeful that he’ll do more on Thursday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... es-starks/

October 2nd, 2013, 4:39 pm
Modmin Dude

ESPN wrote:
CB Houston missed practice with hamstring
October, 2, 2013
By Michael Rothstein | ESPN.com

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- Detroit Lions cornerback Chris Houston's leg injury is actually a hamstring, according to the team's official practice report Wednesday.

Houston was one of five Lions held out of Wednesday's practice, joining wide receiver Calvin Johnson (knee), safety Louis Delmas (knee), safety Glover Quin (ankle) and wide receiver Nate Burleson (forearm).

The only surprises on the list from this morning were Quin's ankle and Johnson missing his second straight Wednesday not practicing. The interesting injury to watch is Houston to see if he practices at all this week.

In better news for Detroit, tackle Jason Fox (groin), receiver Patrick Edwards (ankle) and cornerback Rashean Mathis (head) practiced fully Wednesday.

The only limited players were guard Rob Sims (shoulder) and defensive end Ziggy Ansah (abdomen). Both had the same issues last week but played Sunday.

http://espn.go.com/blog/detroit-lions/p ... -hamstring
It'll be nice to have Mathis, Fox & Edwards back.

October 2nd, 2013, 4:47 pm
NFL Veteran

TheRealWags wrote:
ESPN wrote:
CB Houston missed practice with hamstring
October, 2, 2013
By Michael Rothstein | ESPN.com

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- Detroit Lions cornerback Chris Houston's leg injury is actually a hamstring, according to the team's official practice report Wednesday.

Houston was one of five Lions held out of Wednesday's practice, joining wide receiver Calvin Johnson (knee), safety Louis Delmas (knee), safety Glover Quin (ankle) and wide receiver Nate Burleson (forearm).

The only surprises on the list from this morning were Quin's ankle and Johnson missing his second straight Wednesday not practicing. The interesting injury to watch is Houston to see if he practices at all this week.

In better news for Detroit, tackle Jason Fox (groin), receiver Patrick Edwards (ankle) and cornerback Rashean Mathis (head) practiced fully Wednesday.

The only limited players were guard Rob Sims (shoulder) and defensive end Ziggy Ansah (abdomen). Both had the same issues last week but played Sunday.

http://espn.go.com/blog/detroit-lions/p ... -hamstring
It'll be nice to have Mathis, Fox & Edwards back.

After the preseason and the 4 weeks of the season I gotta say I like the way they have been handling injuries this year. Even when it's minor the staff gives these guys a day off and it seems to be doing really well. It wouldn't surprise me to see all of them available by Sunday, although Houston is probably not very likely to make it.

October 2nd, 2013, 5:46 pm
QB Coach

I think the safeties will play and Houston is gonna be out a few weeks. It sucks because we need 3 corners to cover the Packs WRs. Slay better have the game of his life for us to have a shot.

October 2nd, 2013, 11:31 pm
RIP Killer

Fudgies - 34
Lions - 27

October 2nd, 2013, 11:41 pm
Stadium Announcer

If the golden boy doesnt play that cancels out houston not playing in my book. our offenses to this point have been playing pretty equal with our defense getting a slight edge over theirs. We've looked like the better team, have to go out and prove it now. This one looks like another high scoring affair. I dont expect too much pressure on stafford, and while i expect rodgers to be running for his life, he wont give us the opportunities "Same Ol Jay" (in the words of charles woodson) put forth. My homerism compels me to give us the W.

Kitties - 41
Pack - 40

October 3rd, 2013, 12:59 am
Pop Warner Allstar

If the Lions DO win this one against the generous 6.5 spread, I hope they just quietly continue to have a good season. I don't want Mel Kiper to talk about how good they are, I don't want ESPN to do a spotlight on them, just keep quietly winning. Fans, media and Bill Ford Jr., apparently, will do the trash talking. Shut up and keep winning. Win one in the playoffs and then start talking about how Suh gets a bad rap, Calvin is the best and Schwartz is a genius.
When people start giving the Lions all sorts of credit, they somehow think they've achieved something. In the words of Al Davis, "Just win, baby."

October 3rd, 2013, 1:30 am
Heisman Winner

HechePipe wrote:
If the Lions DO win this one against the generous 6.5 spread, I hope they just quietly continue to have a good season. I don't want Mel Kiper to talk about how good they are, I don't want ESPN to do a spotlight on them, just keep quietly winning. Fans, media and Bill Ford Jr., apparently, will do the trash talking. Shut up and keep winning. Win one in the playoffs and then start talking about how Suh gets a bad rap, Calvin is the best and Schwartz is a genius.
When people start giving the Lions all sorts of credit, they somehow think they've achieved something. In the words of Al Davis, "Just win, baby."

If the Lions win, the cover is going to get blown off this little secret we got brewing here. Too much history has been made after that (Wash&GB wins WTF!!!). The media will jump all over it and you just hope they handle it well.

The key to the game for me is our D-line. They simply must hurry Rodger's throws which allows our secondary to cover less no matter who plays.

October 3rd, 2013, 11:22 am
Player of the Year - Defense

I don't care if the media starts covering it more. It'll all be Reggie MVP talk which will just make defenses start playing the run more, which will open up CJ. More importantly, if we win in Lambeau.. I think the team will believe they can win anywhere, which is a good thing.

October 3rd, 2013, 1:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next