View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 1st, 2014, 9:47 am



Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Next up: Cleveland Browns 
Author Message
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3333
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Next up: Cleveland Browns
njroar wrote:
lol I saw the same reports. I wasn't trying to be an badonkadonk. There were a few upset that Schwartz told them he doesn't talk about it, and then Schefter reports that. And then CJ went out and practiced making them all look like fools.


I wonder if Calvin feels pressured to play, seeing how that offense crumbles without him.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


October 10th, 2013, 3:04 pm
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 11968
Post Re: Next up: Cleveland Browns
ESPN wrote:
What Detroit might do if Johnson can't play
October, 10, 2013
By Michael Rothstein | ESPN.com

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- At least the Detroit Lions will legitimately have a week this time to prepare if Calvin Johnson is unable to play Sunday against the Cleveland Browns.

The Lions said all the right things after Sunday’s loss to Green Bay, that they had contingency plans if Johnson could not play and they practiced without him. But Johnson was close to playing and against a divisional rival, on the road, a team would hope they would have their best player.

Especially if the player really wants to be out there, too. That was maybe the most difficult part of last Sunday for Johnson -- the watching while his team struggled without him.

“Yeah, it sucks,” Johnson said. “Especially a division opponent, up there at Green Bay, like to play there. Just because of the history behind it, it’s a great environment to play in.

“It’s tough to sit out any game, but it’s for the better.”

This week, though, Detroit seems to have a contingency plan if Johnson cannot play.

One guy is new receiver Kevin Ogletree, a player picked up last week on waivers who impressed coaches in his short, very limited appearance against the Packers on Sunday.

Offensive coordinator Scott Linehan said the team gave Ogletree 10 things and that he “handled that well.”

The other potential contingency plan might also be one the Lions had all along. His name is Ryan Broyles and for the past few weeks he has wanted more snaps, more targets, basically more chances.

Yet he was on a different plan than what his coaches may have wanted for him.

“We hadn’t been planning on him playing really in the month of September,” Linehan said. “He’s done a nice job of stepping in and playing a little earlier than expected because of happened with Nate (Burleson).”

Linehan said the initial comeback plan for Broyles was similar to the one they had a season ago for him, when he didn’t see his real action until the sixth game of the season, and now the Lions are in Week 6.

In the preseason, Linehan said he saw Broyles was ready. It then became an issue of sticking with the plan or not. Yet Broyles’ snaps have fluctuated in games he has been active for this season. He played 17 snaps in his debut against Washington, 41 snaps in a win against Chicago and then just 27 snaps against Green Bay last Sunday.

For his part, Broyles said he is “100 percent to get on the field and play well,” and that he feels “capable of going out there and making plays.”

This week, whether or not Johnson plays, expect to see more of Broyles.

“I think he’s ready for a full load now,” Linehan said. “As far as just what you want to do as far as a plan for a guy, bringing a guy back from what he had to come back from a year ago.

“He’s right on track so we’re real happy he’s been able to get this time and progress. Certainly if somebody else isn’t available, his availability is going to be leaned on a little bit more.”

Even if Johnson plays, Broyles could see more action if tight end Tony Scheffler sits. Scheffler suffered his third concussion in four seasons on Sunday and has not practiced Wednesday or Thursday.

The Lions would potentially look to use more three wide receiver sets in that instance -- opening up more snaps for Broyles -- or inserting rookie tight end Joseph Fauria into Scheffler’s role.

No matter what, though, it would appear Detroit has a plan this week if Johnson can’t play. The Lions, obviously, would rather have Johnson healthy and ready.

“It certainly helps to have him out there,” Linehan said. “That’s the understatement of the day.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/detroit-lions/p ... -cant-play
It'll be nice to see Broyles play more and if Ogletree can improve upon what, IMO, was a good first showing, then it might allow CJ to 'rest' a bit (during the game, preferably :wink: )

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


October 10th, 2013, 4:20 pm
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 11968
Post Re: Next up: Cleveland Browns
ESPN wrote:
Fantasy injury report: Calvin Johnson
October, 10, 2013
By Stephania Bell | ESPN.com

Last week, Detroit Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson was a surprise inactive for Sunday’s game.

In retrospect, perhaps it shouldn’t have come as such a big surprise. We’ve become accustomed to seeing Johnson on the weekly practice injury reports, the result of a big, physical player often going up high and falling hard in an effort to make those spectacular catches. But we’ve also become accustomed to his playing through various ailments, rarely missing games no matter what the injury.

In fact, prior to Sunday, Johnson had missed only four games in his career, the most recent being the season finale in 2010. Over the past few years, Johnson has been troubled by a sore knee intermittently and has often been limited in practice early in the week -- even given an extra day off routinely -- to enable him to play on game day.

Last week, however, the pattern changed. Johnson did not practice at all Wednesday or Thursday and did only limited work Friday. He also came into last week’s game as “questionable,” not the “probable” status usually associated with his name. It turned out that the questionable tag was indeed legitimate, as Johnson said he could not get comfortable with his knee during warm-ups, which ultimately became the deciding factor to hold him out.

This week, Johnson again sat out Wednesday but returned to practice Thursday on what appears to be a very limited basis. He engaged in positional drills only and was wearing a brace, according to the Detroit Free Press. At the start of this week, Johnson said he was close to playing last Sunday, hinting at a return for this week, but if swelling continues to be a problem, it may be something he is not able to overcome.

The Lions have not offered any clues as to the specifics of the injury, and the incidence of swelling only tells us that something within the joint remains enough of an irritant to produce increased fluid. Swelling will block range of motion and can inhibit the quadriceps muscle from firing at full strength, in addition to whatever mechanical problems the actual source of the swelling can cause.

The biggest concern beyond being able to function effectively is the risk of further injury, something the Lions clearly have to take into consideration when determining whether it is safe to let Johnson play. If the injury is not a serious one, trying to get that swelling under control can still be tricky and could take us up to game time for a decision on Johnson again this week.

http://espn.go.com/blog/stephania-bell/ ... in-johnson
If this is indeed that same 'issue' with the same knee as the past couple of years, then why don't/can't they fix it? Seems to me (obviously a layman when it comes to medicine) that if something's 'wrong' with the knee they could scope it, have surgery, whatever to fix the damn thing. What am I missing?

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


October 10th, 2013, 4:23 pm
Profile
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1352
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Next up: Cleveland Browns
TheRealWags wrote:
ESPN wrote:
Fantasy injury report: Calvin Johnson
October, 10, 2013
By Stephania Bell | ESPN.com

Last week, Detroit Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson was a surprise inactive for Sunday’s game.

In retrospect, perhaps it shouldn’t have come as such a big surprise. We’ve become accustomed to seeing Johnson on the weekly practice injury reports, the result of a big, physical player often going up high and falling hard in an effort to make those spectacular catches. But we’ve also become accustomed to his playing through various ailments, rarely missing games no matter what the injury.

In fact, prior to Sunday, Johnson had missed only four games in his career, the most recent being the season finale in 2010. Over the past few years, Johnson has been troubled by a sore knee intermittently and has often been limited in practice early in the week -- even given an extra day off routinely -- to enable him to play on game day.

Last week, however, the pattern changed. Johnson did not practice at all Wednesday or Thursday and did only limited work Friday. He also came into last week’s game as “questionable,” not the “probable” status usually associated with his name. It turned out that the questionable tag was indeed legitimate, as Johnson said he could not get comfortable with his knee during warm-ups, which ultimately became the deciding factor to hold him out.

This week, Johnson again sat out Wednesday but returned to practice Thursday on what appears to be a very limited basis. He engaged in positional drills only and was wearing a brace, according to the Detroit Free Press. At the start of this week, Johnson said he was close to playing last Sunday, hinting at a return for this week, but if swelling continues to be a problem, it may be something he is not able to overcome.

The Lions have not offered any clues as to the specifics of the injury, and the incidence of swelling only tells us that something within the joint remains enough of an irritant to produce increased fluid. Swelling will block range of motion and can inhibit the quadriceps muscle from firing at full strength, in addition to whatever mechanical problems the actual source of the swelling can cause.

The biggest concern beyond being able to function effectively is the risk of further injury, something the Lions clearly have to take into consideration when determining whether it is safe to let Johnson play. If the injury is not a serious one, trying to get that swelling under control can still be tricky and could take us up to game time for a decision on Johnson again this week.

http://espn.go.com/blog/stephania-bell/ ... in-johnson
If this is indeed that same 'issue' with the same knee as the past couple of years, then why don't/can't they fix it? Seems to me (obviously a layman when it comes to medicine) that if something's 'wrong' with the knee they could scope it, have surgery, whatever to fix the damn thing. What am I missing?


It could be something like missing cartilage and may not have anyway to really be fixed. He has almost always been on the injury report for a knee issue, so I'm sure if it was something surgery could fix he would have had it done years ago.


October 10th, 2013, 9:21 pm
Profile
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2748
Post Re: Next up: Cleveland Browns
When this popped up in the Bears game, he said it wasn't the same issue as last year, so i'm not even sure it's the same knee. They should rest him as much as possible during the week.


October 10th, 2013, 9:30 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7315
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Next up: Cleveland Browns
TheRealWags wrote:
ESPN wrote:
Fantasy injury report: Calvin Johnson
October, 10, 2013
By Stephania Bell | ESPN.com

Last week, Detroit Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson was a surprise inactive for Sunday’s game.

In retrospect, perhaps it shouldn’t have come as such a big surprise. We’ve become accustomed to seeing Johnson on the weekly practice injury reports, the result of a big, physical player often going up high and falling hard in an effort to make those spectacular catches. But we’ve also become accustomed to his playing through various ailments, rarely missing games no matter what the injury.

In fact, prior to Sunday, Johnson had missed only four games in his career, the most recent being the season finale in 2010. Over the past few years, Johnson has been troubled by a sore knee intermittently and has often been limited in practice early in the week -- even given an extra day off routinely -- to enable him to play on game day.

Last week, however, the pattern changed. Johnson did not practice at all Wednesday or Thursday and did only limited work Friday. He also came into last week’s game as “questionable,” not the “probable” status usually associated with his name. It turned out that the questionable tag was indeed legitimate, as Johnson said he could not get comfortable with his knee during warm-ups, which ultimately became the deciding factor to hold him out.

This week, Johnson again sat out Wednesday but returned to practice Thursday on what appears to be a very limited basis. He engaged in positional drills only and was wearing a brace, according to the Detroit Free Press. At the start of this week, Johnson said he was close to playing last Sunday, hinting at a return for this week, but if swelling continues to be a problem, it may be something he is not able to overcome.

The Lions have not offered any clues as to the specifics of the injury, and the incidence of swelling only tells us that something within the joint remains enough of an irritant to produce increased fluid. Swelling will block range of motion and can inhibit the quadriceps muscle from firing at full strength, in addition to whatever mechanical problems the actual source of the swelling can cause.

The biggest concern beyond being able to function effectively is the risk of further injury, something the Lions clearly have to take into consideration when determining whether it is safe to let Johnson play. If the injury is not a serious one, trying to get that swelling under control can still be tricky and could take us up to game time for a decision on Johnson again this week.

http://espn.go.com/blog/stephania-bell/ ... in-johnson
If this is indeed that same 'issue' with the same knee as the past couple of years, then why don't/can't they fix it? Seems to me (obviously a layman when it comes to medicine) that if something's 'wrong' with the knee they could scope it, have surgery, whatever to fix the damn thing. What am I missing?


This isn't the same issue. I bet this is from the Bears game when that thug went after Calvin's knee.


October 10th, 2013, 9:50 pm
Profile
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 649
Post Re: Next up: Cleveland Browns
Not liking this game at all if Calvin's out. If he's in, we win. If he's out, no shot. Haden will eat up his side of the field and they'll completely take away the run game.

_________________
Image


October 11th, 2013, 10:33 am
Profile
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3755
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Next up: Cleveland Browns
Shotty wrote:
Not liking this game at all if Calvin's out. If he's in, we win. If he's out, no shot. Haden will eat up his side of the field and they'll completely take away the run game.


I dont know about us not having a shot if Calvin is out. Their D is pretty good, but lets not forget that we held GB to 6 points in the first 1/2 without Calvin...and Cle Offense is not even 1/2 as good as Rodgers and crew. Our O will struggle but our D will keep us in the game. we have to play better than last week on offense to win for sure, but it's not real hard to be better than we were last week...we set the bar pretty dang low.

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


October 11th, 2013, 11:55 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9850
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Next up: Cleveland Browns
regularjoe12 wrote:
Shotty wrote:
Not liking this game at all if Calvin's out. If he's in, we win. If he's out, no shot. Haden will eat up his side of the field and they'll completely take away the run game.


I dont know about us not having a shot if Calvin is out. Their D is pretty good, but lets not forget that we held GB to 6 points in the first 1/2 without Calvin...and Cle Offense is not even 1/2 as good as Rodgers and crew. Our O will struggle but our D will keep us in the game. we have to play better than last week on offense to win for sure, but it's not real hard to be better than we were last week...we set the bar pretty dang low.


I'd say that Cleveland doesn't have the running threat or passing threat that Green Bay does, but I'd rank their offensive line higher. Also, their receivers are about on par with Green Bays. Jordan Cameron is a damn good TE, Gordon is a really good outside receiver, and I think Greg Little is pretty good as well. As such, I think their offensive may not quite be as good as Green Bay's, but it's not far off.

To win, we have to score points. And field goals aren't going to cut it. The offense has to find a way to put the ball into the end zone, with or without Calvin. Plain, simple and to the point.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


October 11th, 2013, 12:23 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3333
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Next up: Cleveland Browns
m2karateman wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
Shotty wrote:
Not liking this game at all if Calvin's out. If he's in, we win. If he's out, no shot. Haden will eat up his side of the field and they'll completely take away the run game.


I dont know about us not having a shot if Calvin is out. Their D is pretty good, but lets not forget that we held GB to 6 points in the first 1/2 without Calvin...and Cle Offense is not even 1/2 as good as Rodgers and crew. Our O will struggle but our D will keep us in the game. we have to play better than last week on offense to win for sure, but it's not real hard to be better than we were last week...we set the bar pretty dang low.


I'd say that Cleveland doesn't have the running threat or passing threat that Green Bay does, but I'd rank their offensive line higher. Also, their receivers are about on par with Green Bays. Jordan Cameron is a damn good TE, Gordon is a really good outside receiver, and I think Greg Little is pretty good as well. As such, I think their offensive may not quite be as good as Green Bay's, but it's not far off.

To win, we have to score points. And field goals aren't going to cut it. The offense has to find a way to put the ball into the end zone, with or without Calvin. Plain, simple and to the point.


I agree, except about the WR's. I think GB has better WR's hands down. Gordon is good, but I dont think Greg Little is on par with Cobb, Nelson, or Jones.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


October 11th, 2013, 2:30 pm
Profile
Red Shirt Freshman
User avatar

Joined: April 8th, 2010, 3:24 pm
Posts: 502
Post Re: Next up: Cleveland Browns
This game is a must win, IMHO. I can't see them making the playoffs without winning this one, and if they can't beat a Weeden-led Cleveland, with or without CJ, then they won't be winning to many other games.


October 13th, 2013, 4:58 am
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3572
Location: WSU
Post Re: Next up: Cleveland Browns
Quote:
Quote:
If this is indeed that same 'issue' with the same knee as the past couple of years, then why don't/can't they fix it? Seems to me (obviously a layman when it comes to medicine) that if something's 'wrong' with the knee they could scope it, have surgery, whatever to fix the damn thing. What am I missing?



It could be something like missing cartilage and may not have anyway to really be fixed. He has almost always been on the injury report for a knee issue, so I'm sure if it was something surgery could fix he would have had it done years ago.


the reports i ve seen say that johnson has had swelling in his knee which implies a mechanical problem inside the knee. if he had a meniscus injury then its simple like Wags said - then one can scope the knee clean it up and his knee should be feeling pretty good. If that were the case one would think it would have been addressed already given that its bothered him a few years. my concern is the same as rao's that it could be a cartilage issue in which case the cartilage procedures arent really great options depending on the size of the cartilage defect and require a long rehab yet might not get his knee feeling that much better than it is now. on the other hand he may have a more minor issue like a patellar tendinitis (shouldnt cause knee swelling) or patellar bursitis (swelling but not in the joint) that flares up from time to time


October 13th, 2013, 9:18 am
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3572
Location: WSU
Post Re: Next up: Cleveland Browns
Browns offense: The OL is pretty good, not world beaters but they dont feature great runners. Willis McGahee isnt what he once was but he s a pretty tough runner and Ogbonnaya can catch the ball but he s a pretty marginal threat as a 3rd down back. What Cleveland will do is give big looks, with multiple TEs to force run defensive personnel on the field and try to set up the pass. Jordan Cameron is the most reliable weapon that Cleveland features and gave the Lions trouble in the preseason. He s got speed to slip past LBs and can use his size to outmuscle safeties and even outrun some of them at times. It ll be interesting to see how the Lions try to cover this. Josh Gordon on the outside is going to be big trouble for a banged up Chris Houston. The Lions should probably try to matchup Houston on Greg Little and let Slay battle it out Gordon with safety help. Gordon may have too much speed for Rashean Mathis. Davone Bess is a crafty possession receiver and Travis Benjamin is there big play threat reserve. Bill Bentley should be able to match up well with either. I think the Lions will play a lot of zone early and see if the 4 man rush can get to Weeden, if it cant than there are some potential matchup problems and the Lions might be forced to play 3 deep and give up the flats and whatever McGahee can take in the run game.

Browns defense: This group is extremely talented. They have big yet active DTs who can also get after the passer and yet play with discipline to run responsibilities. Bryant, Taylor, Rubin - its a tough group. They are all better than Neal from GB that destroyed Riley Reiff last week. The LBs arent quite as good. ILB Jackson has great instincts and is a great player and Robertson is a good player also even though he s an undrafted FA and both can make plays in coverage or vs the run. The outside rushers are just okay, Kruger is above average but not a big speed threat. He s a smart player and plays the run well also. Mingo is more of the matchup nightmare after the Lions struggled with Nick Perry, I think Perry is more powerful than Mingo but I see some similarities. Joe Haden at corner can pretty much shut down anybody, the Lions need to use motion to identify who he is covering and see if they can get him off of Calvin Johnson. Buster Skrines is the guy that gets picked on at corner but he gets his hands on a lot of balls and can bring guys down. He s better than you think. Nickle corner Chris Owens should have his hands full with Broyles, Edwards, or Bush and I think any of those guys can beat him. Kris Durham if he s the outside guy has a huge size advantage on Skrines which is always the case for Durham but maybe this time he can take advantage of it. Ward is a very good safety and Gipson is average. As is typical of many 3-4s the Browns will mix up there blitz packages, walk LBers up to and off the line, send corners etc. So far the Lions havent done well vs 3-4s this year and it makes sense given the new players on the OL. I d like to see some deep routes up the middle to split the safeties and open up the sidelines. Pettigrew needs to be involved in the flats and continue to make progress from last week, he s been used so much in the run game as a blocker that it should be pretty easy to get him the ball on play action. The game plan will focus on Bush but unlike last week it shouldnt be about just getting him touches, the Lions need to be more creative in getting things to open up for him. Calvins presence will be a big factor.

ST: Cleveland doesnt have the best kicker in Cundiff. The punter is decent with his placement but they ve given up a few returns where opponents looked like they had a chance to break them longer. Benjamin is having a good year returning punts and looks to be one of the top returners in the NFL. The kick returner Rainey isnt as good and Martin will probably be pinning him to touch backs anyway but the Lions may want to challenge this kid to bring it out with squibs or shorter popup kicks and see if they can tackle him inside the 20 or strip the ball.

Summary: With Calvin Johnson on the field the offense changes dramatically. Matchups are there for slot WRs and for Bush out of the backfield. I dont think the passrushers are as good as GBay's and with Johnson on the field the Lions will be less predictable. Bell should have a good game as kind of the forgotten factor in the backfield but I think this is the game where we see what Ryan Broyles can do. He should be a bigger part of the gameplan today working against nickel corner Owens who Broyles should be able to beat. Stafford may benefit from Scheffler being out and seeing less of Pat Edwards and Kris Durham on the field, Using a more consistent group of WRs should help with timing, accuracy. Defensively there are some matchup problems but Weeden is mistake prone. I think the Lions will let the Browns move the ball in the run game and through short passes to Bess and Cameron but take away the big play. The Lions will generate pressure particularly if they get ahead early and force turnovers. There will be opportunities for a defensive TD.

Calvin playing: Lions 27 Browns 13
Calvin out: Browns 17 Lions 16


October 13th, 2013, 10:21 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Touchdown Jesus, Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.