View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 12:34 am



Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 NFL Bullying 
Author Message
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: October 26th, 2005, 11:48 pm
Posts: 3039
Location: Elkhart, In.
Post NFL Bullying
Since being a "bully" is the new key word phrase of American society, at what point in time are we Lions fans, or the Detroit Lions organization going to step up and call the NFL front office out for using bully tactics? I know this is probably a perspective thing, but there appears to be a very concentrated effort to soften the very game that we all love. Injuries happen, it's the nature of the game, but repeated targeting by an NFL front office on one particular player, and not following the same standards with prima donna teams like Green Bay basically boils down to Bullying. Are there any JOURNALISTS, or people who KNOW JOURNALISTS that are willing to put this idea before them? Following is an article from the Freep.com concerning Suh's hit on Weeden that was NOT FLAGGED, or found to be outside the lines of normal football play, but NOW the NFL front office has decided they are going to review the video and target Suh for financial penalties if not worse.

Quote:
Another big hit by Ndamukong Suh is under review by the NFL.

A video posted on NFL.com Tuesday showed Dean Blandino, the league’s vice president of officiating, ordering a hit Suh put on Cleveland Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden to be reviewed for further discipline.

The play in question occurred late in the first quarter, when Suh, rushing from the left defensive end spot, looped around Ziggy Ansah and hit Weeden in the chest as he delivered a late pass to Davone Bess.

Suh was not flagged on the play, but the NFL video shows Blandino in a Monday meeting discussing the hit with league executives.

“No. 90 hit the quarterback, lowered his head, that was not called,” Blandino said in the video. “Potential helmet to the body.”

Suh was fined $100,000 in Week 1 for a low block he threw against Minnesota Vikings center John Sullivan during a DeAndre Levy interception return.

Suh lost the appeal of that fine, the sixth of his NFL career. He’s been fined $177,500 since entering the league in 2010, and was suspended two games in 2011 that cost him an additional $165,294 in missed game checks.

Fines are typically issued mid-week and announced on Fridays. An NFL spokesperson did not respond to an email seeking comment on whether Suh was disciplined for the play.

SLEEP TIGHT: The last time Dorin Dickerson played for Lions coaches, at the Senior Bowl in 2010, he split out wide and spent the week at receiver, at the request of game organizers.

Dickerson, who signed with the Lions late Monday, said Tuesday he hasn’t had time to talk with coaches about what his role will be going forward, but as he sat in front of a stall in the corner of the locker room reserved for tight ends, there really wasn’t much doubt.

“I see myself doing a bunch of different things,” Dickerson said. “I’ve only been here not even 24 hours, so it’s just going to take some time to figure out. But just want to contribute to the team, that’s all.”

Dickerson said he ran a 4.5-second 40-yard dash at his workout Monday. The Lions project him to be field-stretching threat at tight end while Tony Scheffler recovers from a brain injury.

BRIEFLY: Receiver Patrick Edwards cleared waivers. He locker was still full Tuesday and he could rejoin the Lions’ practice squad today. … Cornerback Chris Greenwood, who the Dallas Cowboys signed off the Lions’ practice squad last month, was waived on Tuesday. … Tight end Joseph Fauria is one of five nominees for the Pepsi NEXT Rookie of the Week. Voting runs through Friday on NFL.com.


Maybe this needs to be posted in another thread, but it seemed to be football related so I made a new thread.

1. Does this appear to be bullying by the front office?
2. GB's linebacker has made no bones about being a QB hunter, and even did his own ILLEGAL hit out of bounds with NO REPRICUSSIONS, and yet Suh may be on his 2nd in a year, and he has been humble, and putting up good defensive numbers without being dirty.

Thoughts?

_________________
2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."


October 15th, 2013, 8:18 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3334
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: NFL Bullying
Frustrates the living crap out of me. Green Bay is a perfect example of how the NFL allows certain teams to basically do that they want, while other teams such as the Lions are targeted. Its very, very disappointing.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


October 15th, 2013, 9:27 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: March 5th, 2009, 8:42 pm
Posts: 2185
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Post Re: NFL Bullying
PURE BULLSHIT

_________________
Matthew Stafford is the only player in NFL history who is allowed to smoke cigarettes in the team huddle. He just chooses not to


October 15th, 2013, 10:40 pm
Profile
3rd Round Selection

Joined: October 19th, 2005, 1:24 pm
Posts: 1140
Location: Nottingham, England
Post Re: NFL Bullying
I've rewatched the play and read this NFL definition of when helmet to the body can be illegal (see here: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... lmet-rule/ ):
Quote:
The first rule change prohibits a runner or tackler from initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet outside the tackle box,” the video’s narrator says. “There are three components to this foul: First, the player must line up his opponent. Second, he must lower his head. And third, he must deliver a forcible blow with the crown of his helmet to any part of his opponent’s body. The crown is the very top of the helmet. This rule was designed not only to protect the player receiving the blow, but also the player delivering it. Violations of this rule will result in 15-yard penalties for unnecessary roughness, and potential discipline. If the contact occurs in the tackle box, or if all three components are not present, there is no foul.

Bold my emphasis.

The ball was snapped on the left hash mark. Weeden was on the left hash mark when he was hit. He was clearly in the tackle box.

So no way they can discipline Suh for this.


October 16th, 2013, 1:38 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9400
Location: Dallas
Post Re: NFL Bullying
WarEr4Christ wrote:
but repeated targeting by an NFL front office on one particular player, and not following the same standards with prima donna teams like Green Bay


So Suh is the ONLY player being targeted repeatedly by the NFL? I could give you a list of guys that would disagree. And honestly, I thought the Saints were one of those "prima donna" teams after the hurricane and SB win - look what the NFL did to them.

WarEr4Christ wrote:
I know this is probably a perspective thing


glimmers of hope thru those blue and silver tainted glasses we all wear!

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


October 16th, 2013, 8:47 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9850
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: NFL Bullying
Pablo wrote:
WarEr4Christ wrote:
but repeated targeting by an NFL front office on one particular player, and not following the same standards with prima donna teams like Green Bay


So Suh is the ONLY player being targeted repeatedly by the NFL? I could give you a list of guys that would disagree. And honestly, I thought the Saints were one of those "prima donna" teams after the hurricane and SB win - look what the NFL did to them.

WarEr4Christ wrote:
I know this is probably a perspective thing


glimmers of hope thru those blue and silver tainted glasses we all wear!


I agree that other players are being targeted Pablo. However, you cannot possibly deny that the NFL has its crosshairs on Suh more than any other player in the NFL, bar none. Even the hits that don't get flagged are now under review for possible fines or disciplinary action. He can't tie his shoelaces without the NFL wanting to know if he did it in a correct manner.

It. Is. Ridiculous.

Whether or not the NFL decides to fine Suh is not the point. It's the fact that they are making it publicly known that they are reviewing it. That is a scare tactic, pure and simple. And it is one of their own people, the VP of officiating, that is instigating this review. Out of ALL THE PLAYS in the NFL over the weekend, that's the one that stood out?!

I have seen multiple plays per game where a runner is OUTSIDE the tackle box, and lowers his head to take on a defender. That never gets flagged, but it is considered illegal now.

Read the rule UK Lion posted. It prohibits a RUNNER OR TACKLER from lowering his head outside the tackle box. Now, I don't know about you and what you see in the games you watch, but I see that being done CONSTANTLY on both sides of the ball.

The fact that Suh is being reviewed on this one play, and it happens to be on a QB, is more than enough for me to say that there IS a target on his back and that the league office is indeed trying to bully him into becoming a pansy style player. There are numerous other defensive linemen out there that lower their heads and drive the crown of their helmet into a QB during a sack. I have yet to see those players getting it reviewed.

The fact that he was fined $100k for his hit on Sullivan and Clay Matthews only got a $15k fine for the BS he pulled in week one is more than enough evidence for me to know that Goodell enjoys sucking Green Bays prick. Matthews should have been ejected for throwing a punch at Staley, and should have gotten an automatic suspension based on the ejection. There is a distinct double standard coming out of the front office of the league.

Everybody knows this. It's the elephant in the room.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


October 16th, 2013, 10:24 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9400
Location: Dallas
Post Re: NFL Bullying
m2karateman wrote:
There is a distinct double standard coming out of the front office of the league.

Everybody knows this. It's the elephant in the room.


I agree to some point, however, the league has made it very clear that REPEAT offenders will be looked at much closer. Let's face it, Suh is a repeat offender (that is why he is in the crosshairs) and he is a very high profile player like it or not (who has made some high profile plays such as the stomp in front of a Nat'l TV audience).

Is there a double standard, yes, however it is a fairly clearly defined double standard IMO. You see Nick Fairley lining up to Suh, is he looked at the same via the league - no. It isn't because of the logo on his helmet, it is largely due to his track record.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


October 16th, 2013, 12:14 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9850
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: NFL Bullying
Pablo wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
There is a distinct double standard coming out of the front office of the league.

Everybody knows this. It's the elephant in the room.


I agree to some point, however, the league has made it very clear that REPEAT offenders will be looked at much closer. Let's face it, Suh is a repeat offender (that is why he is in the crosshairs) and he is a very high profile player like it or not (who has made some high profile plays such as the stomp in front of a Nat'l TV audience).

Is there a double standard, yes, however it is a fairly clearly defined double standard IMO. You see Nick Fairley lining up to Suh, is he looked at the same via the league - no. It isn't because of the logo on his helmet, it is largely due to his track record.



Sorry, but I disagree. If Suh is being looked at so closely because of being a repeat offender, then why isn't Roman Harper being looked at even closer? He has had more personal fouls over a two season period than Suh has had in his entire career. He had a suspension reduced to a $100k fine earlier, but Suh doesn't get his fine reduced. And let's face facts Pablo. Suh was flagged and fined for some plays that were completely within the rules. Remember the personal foul for a horse collar on Marion Barber that wasn't a horse collar? The hit on Jay Cutler? Flagged for both, fined for one, both were legal.

Clay Matthews committed THREE illegal acts when he tackled Kaepernick earlier this season. Shot to the neck/head area. Tackle out of bounds. Threw not one but two punches. One flag, no ejection (which should have been automatic) and only a $15k fine. And that wasn't the first time Matthews had been flagged for a personal foul in his career either.

Color it any way you want, but this latest 'review' is absolute evidence that the league has an issue with Ndamukong Suh being on the field. He makes a legal play, doesn't hurt the guy in any way, doesn't get flagged, but you still have some anus from the league office saying that he did something wrong.

Goodell won't be happy until every NFL fan tells him to phuck off by no longer watching, attending, or buying merchandise.

What may disappoint me even more is that OUR front office, namely the owner, doesn't go to Goodell and tell him to stop this crap. WCF should carry some level of weight with the other owners, and I believe he should start telling Goodell that the watering down of the league via fines on legal plays is getting out of hand. I understand fining someone for a hit that gets flagged, but not for one that isn't penalized on the field of play. If Ford isn't willing to step up for his franchise, then he needs to step down.

If this were happening to a player in Dallas or Washington, you can bet either one of those owners would be talking Goodell's ear off directly AND through the media.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


October 16th, 2013, 1:32 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9400
Location: Dallas
Post Re: NFL Bullying
We can agree to disagree (no need to apologize, I'm often wrong). I'd bet the NFL is watching Harper very closely. And Dashon Goldson. And <insert repeat offenders name here>.

Suh has brought some of this on himself, not only with his actions on the field but his lame explanations off the field.

Listen, I love Suh as a player. Loved him out of Nebraska. Loved him as the Lions pick. Love the Suh jersey I put on most Sundays when I'm not throwing on the old school Barry or Lionbacker jerseys.

It is funny how you mentioned Dallas and Washington, the two teams the NFL fined for overspending in the uncapped year. Guess those owners didn't have much influence over Roger to start with! :lol:

As stated in other threads, even non-football related ones, if you are looking to find something you probably will. This impacts this case in two ways - first, fans like us are looking to see when the NFL treats Suh unfairly (that means we will find plenty of supporting evidence). It also means that if the NFL is looking for ways in which Suh violates NFL standards or rules, they too will find them.

We aren't going to stop the fines from happening, we can only control our reaction to them (or more importantly, that is all Suh can control).

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


October 16th, 2013, 1:54 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 11968
Post Re: NFL Bullying
Pablo wrote:
We can agree to disagree (no need to apologize, I'm often wrong). I'd bet the NFL is watching Harper very closely. And Dashon Goldson. And <insert repeat offenders name here>.

Suh has brought some of this on himself, not only with his actions on the field but his lame explanations off the field.

Listen, I love Suh as a player. Loved him out of Nebraska. Loved him as the Lions pick. Love the Suh jersey I put on most Sundays when I'm not throwing on the old school Barry or Lionbacker jerseys.

It is funny how you mentioned Dallas and Washington, the two teams the NFL fined for overspending in the uncapped year. Guess those owners didn't have much influence over Roger to start with! :lol:

As stated in other threads, even non-football related ones, if you are looking to find something you probably will. This impacts this case in two ways - first, fans like us are looking to see when the NFL treats Suh unfairly (that means we will find plenty of supporting evidence). It also means that if the NFL is looking for ways in which Suh violates NFL standards or rules, they too will find them.

We aren't going to stop the fines from happening, we can only control our reaction to them (or more importantly, that is all Suh can control).
Well said, sir.
Image

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


October 16th, 2013, 2:20 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9850
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: NFL Bullying
Pablo wrote:
We can agree to disagree (no need to apologize, I'm often wrong). I'd bet the NFL is watching Harper very closely. And Dashon Goldson. And <insert repeat offenders name here>.

Suh has brought some of this on himself, not only with his actions on the field but his lame explanations off the field.


That's fine. Everybody has their own opinion. I'm sure there are other players being watched. And I realize Suh has done things that have brought negative attention to himself, and then failed to own up to what he did. Not a smart move. But it certainly doesn't make him guilty of a crime every time he steps onto the field, and it doesn't mean that every time he hits a QB is should be scrutinized by the league office. Stop and think about it. How many plays take place in any given week across the league? How many hits are made in any given play? Not just the tackling, but the blocking as well? Yet, the league front office is going to worry about a hit that wasn't penalized on the field, because Suh has made some past transgressions? I would imagine that upwards of about 15-20% of players in the league have been flagged for personal fouls on illegal forms of hitting or contact that are subject to fines. You can't sit there and tell me every one of those players has each play they are involved in scrutinized by a league official or representative. It's absolutely ridiculous. They may as well tell him he's barred for life from ever hitting another QB. Because if he does, they will look for something, find it and justify it in some ridiculous way.

Pablo wrote:
It is funny how you mentioned Dallas and Washington, the two teams the NFL fined for overspending in the uncapped year. Guess those owners didn't have much influence over Roger to start with!


What I said was that if it were Jerruh's player or Snyder's player that this was happening to, they would be far more vocal about it in the media and would likely be asking to speak directly with Goodell about it. They may not win the war, but at least they would wage a battle so as to bring attention to the obvious bias against that player. You teach people how to treat you. Act like a doormat, they'll step all over you. Lions ownership is acting like a doormat. They need to tell Goodell to back off scrutinizing legal plays that involve one of their players.

Pablo wrote:
As stated in other threads, even non-football related ones, if you are looking to find something you probably will. This impacts this case in two ways - first, fans like us are looking to see when the NFL treats Suh unfairly (that means we will find plenty of supporting evidence). It also means that if the NFL is looking for ways in which Suh violates NFL standards or rules, they too will find them.


Interesting that you say 'fans like us', because in an article on this very subject on Pro Football Talk there were a number of fans from other teams who even commented on how ridiculous this particular 'review' was. Even Browns fans said it was a clean hit and was far from a dirty play. Weeden himself has commented to that very fact on it. Yet, some league bozo decides he knows exactly what happened and it needs to be reviewed. These idiots defend the referees when they blow OBVIOUS calls, but in a matter like this they decide to second guess them. The bias is so obvious Ray Charles could see it.

Pablo wrote:
We aren't going to stop the fines from happening, we can only control our reaction to them (or more importantly, that is all Suh can control).


I never said fines should be stopped. But everybody knows that Goodell has gone completely overboard. As much as he claims he is doing this to improve safety, along with a host of other rules changes, the safety to the players has not improved. Rules have been changed, penalties have been called, fines have been levied, but there has been no reduction in concussions, and the overall number of injuries has not gone down. However, I would say the quality of the product has declined dramatically because of the penalties being called, and because of the distaste a majority of fans has for what the game has become.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


October 16th, 2013, 3:50 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9850
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: NFL Bullying
So, Suh got fined $31,500 on a play that drew no penalty flag, and the person he hit said was a clean play.

Still wanna say there is no cross hairs on Suh?

I hope Roger Goodell dies. I hope he dies in the most painful way imagineable. And I hope his wife and kids are with him when he dies, and they die with him. I cannot express how much I HATE that mfer right now.

If Suh had acted outside the rules, I would have no issues. But this is simply highway robbery, bullying and absolute bullshit by every standard. If Roger Goodell were in front of me right now, I'd give no second thought to beating him with my fists until he were a mere puddle of blood, flesh and stupid cells congealing on the ground.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


October 16th, 2013, 6:17 pm
Profile
Stadium Announcer

Joined: October 30th, 2011, 8:16 pm
Posts: 82
Post Re: NFL Bullying
At least somebody is taking his side publicly, it may be on bleacher report, but they are usually lion bashers. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1814 ... g-suh-fine


October 16th, 2013, 10:54 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7317
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: NFL Bullying
millam21 wrote:
At least somebody is taking his side publicly, it may be on bleacher report, but they are usually lion bashers. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1814 ... g-suh-fine


He didn't even hit with the crown of his head. He hit with his face mask. Goodell is making himself a whole lot of enemies. He is already the most hated Commissioner of all time. After what he did the the Saints, Cowboys, Redskins, and hosing the Lions on the Rooney rule when they tried to interview black coaches, that's 1/8 of the league owners that I am sure would lobby the other owners to dump him if he doesn't knock it off.


October 17th, 2013, 1:50 am
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2279
Post Re: NFL Bullying
Ill go a step beyond that. Of He doesnt lower his head he possible hits helmet to helmet, gets a flag, a huge fine, and possible suspension. Its obvious he didnt lower his helmet to spear nor lead with the crown of his head, and it was a completely legit tackle hence the lack of a flag and even Weeden's comments on it. What a farce.


October 17th, 2013, 1:57 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.