View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 21st, 2014, 2:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Broyles out for season again 
1st Round Pick

Post Re: Broyles out for season again
Interesting thoughts, M2.

My random thoughts on each of the guys you mention:

Second pick group:
2009 - Brandon Pettigrew; 20th overall
2010 - Jahvid Best; 30th overall
2011 - Titus Young; 44th overall
2012 - Ryan Broyles; 54th overall

I'm cool with the process on each one of these picks, although obviously very disappointed with the result on 3 of them. Best and Broyles are NFL talents who were unfortunate with injuries (with Best - I think the collage red flags would ring alarm bells now, in 2010 it was different, it's amazing how much the concussion issue has come along these past couple of years). Young - yes, there were character issues, but did anyone think he was that insane? Pettigrew I'm cool with - I agree with you that he's not Jimmy Graham or Gronk and that with a 1rd pick you could hope for that, but I'd say he's a better than average starting TE. For our offence, I think his flexibility between blocking and passing is a big plus.

Third pick group:
2009: Louis Delmas; 33rd overall
2010: Amari Spievey; 66th overall
2011: Mikel LeShoure; 57th overall (cost us a 4th rounder, plus 5th round swap to move up from third round to get him)
2012: Dwight "Bill" Bentley; 85th overall

Delmas is great when healthy. Lesure I'm ok with the decision making, the injury was unfortunate. Spievey was awful. Bentley looks borderline. Not the greatest group here.

Fourth pick:
2009: DeAndre Levy; 76th overall
2010: Jason Fox; 128th overall
2011: Doug Hogue; 157th overeall
2012: Ronnell Lewis; 125th overall

1 good pick. 1 unfortunate pick (Fox, with injuries). 2 awful picks.

I don't think the above is that bad. I think we've been very unfortunate with health in that group. Of the 12, I think 8 had starting calibre talent - just 5 didn't live up to it because of injuries (or mental health).

This year's crop of late round picks (or UDFAs) looks good so far (way to early to evaluate really, but hey - speculation is fun). Warford is playing well. Taylor has been way more solid than you would expect for a rookie 4th rounder. Waddle looked solid in his first start. Fauria's been a great redzone threat (although needs to develop the rest of his game - for an UDFA, I'll take the return). Riddick's been worked into more and more snaps. Williams was considered good enough in camp to use the designated return slot on. Martin (one shank aside) has played well. Slay looks to have potential, albeit raw at this stage (although his play reminds me too much of Bentley).

So I wouldn't be so down on the FO's late round picking. Has it been great? No. But I wouldn't say it's been awful, either.

October 30th, 2013, 5:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3