View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 19th, 2014, 6:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Theyve warmed up: now they must put up 
Pro Bowl Player

Post Theyve warmed up: now they must put up
They've warmed up; now they must put up
Posted: May 31, 2005

Thanks to a bit of chance with Philip Rivers holding out, Drew Brees made the most of his last best chance with the Chargers last season.

This season, a new bunch of disappointing young offensive players are entering the put-up-or-be-shut-out portions of their careers. Here are six face judgments on the 2005 docket.

Joey Harrington, QB, Lions

Prosecution: Despite having good young receivers, a good running back and a good line around him, Harrington has not displayed the poise and skills needed to thrive in Steve Mariucci's West Coast offense.

Defense: A high-character player, Harrington has the smarts to turn things around quickly.

Verdict: The Lions need a quarterback who is ready to make good on their playoff potential. Given his experience playing for Mariucci, backup Jeff Garcia might be a better option.

Patrick Ramsey, QB, Redskins

Prosecution: He has a strong arm, but his intangibles need considerable work.

Defense: The team's decision last year to sign and start Mark Brunell was a big blow to Ramsey's confidence and development.

Verdict: Ramsey will be playing for a shot at a job elsewhere. In Washington, he's only a stopgap until first-rounder Jason Campbell takes over.

Kevan Barlow, RB, 49ers

Prosecution: As the team's feature back last season, he produced only two 100-yard rushing games and was an uninspired bust.

Defense: He received little help from a bad line and an inconsistent passing game.

Verdict: First-year coach Mike Nolan has the challenge of lighting a fire under Barlow. If the spark doesn't take, don't be surprised if rookie Frank Gore gets plenty of playing time.

William Green, RB, Browns

Prosecution: Off-field troubles and overall inconsistency have put the 2002 first-round pick on thin ice with the Browns.

Defense: The Browns haven't exactly been a stable team to play for, and health issues have limited Green.

Verdict: Green will show more for new coach Romeo Crennel, but that won't be good enough to help him beat out Lee Suggs and Reuben Droughns.

Koren Robinson, WR, Seahawks

Prosecution: It's hard to drop the case against him when he drops ball after ball and gets lost in routes.

Defense: Robinson has great speed and poses a dangerous downfield threat.

Verdict: Catch him while you can because if he can't catch the ball more consistently, this season will be his last in Seattle.

Leonard Davis, T, Cardinals

Prosecution: At 6-6, 384, he should be more intimidating to pass rushers.

Defense: Davis has been shuffled between guard and tackle, and the linemen around him also have been moving parts.

Verdict: Davis never will be the dominant player some thought he could be, but he finally will stay put and make his way as a solid left tackle.

Vinnie Iyer is a projects editor for the Sporting News. E-mail him at viyer@sportingnews.com.

June 1st, 2005, 1:14 am
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Prosecution: Despite having good young receivers, a good running back and a good line around him, Harrington has not displayed the poise and skills needed to thrive in Steve Mariucci's West Coast offense.

Defense: A high-character player, Harrington has the smarts to turn things around quickly.

Verdict: The Lions need a quarterback who is ready to make good on their playoff potential. Given his experience playing for Mariucci, backup Jeff Garcia might be a better option.

I have to disagree. Although I do not like Joey at all, he has not had a GOOD line around him, or good young recieverS, and Jeff is definintly not a good option at this point, given his age.

June 1st, 2005, 9:03 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Quote:

I have to disagree. Although I do not like Joey at all, he has not had a GOOD line around him, or good young recieverS, and Jeff is definintly not a good option at this point, given his age.

I agree. Too many of these so called sports writers simply see the names on the roster and forget that many of them were injured and/or didn't play to potential. Although Harrington has not played as well as many of us would like, I can also say that about most of the Lions personnel. And certainly Mariucci has been just as big a disappointment on the sidelines as any of the players have been between the stripes.

June 1st, 2005, 2:04 pm
Baton Girl

Well, there are no excuses for him now. Our line has some what improved, our WR corp has vastly improved, and we have upgraded at TE not to mention Kevin Jones being the #1 option at RB.

June 1st, 2005, 4:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]