View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 4:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Lions Have the Talent, Schwartz Needs to Go 
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Lions Have the Talent, Schwartz Needs to Go
Hate to say it, but this game has finally put me over on that side of the debate. A loss to the Steelers might have been excused as dome team playing against a desperate opponent in bad weather on the road; this game was a debacle.

November 24th, 2013, 5:13 pm
3rd Round Selection

Post Re: Lions Have the Talent, Schwartz Needs to Go
Talent throws the ball to Tampa Bay DBs on 2 occasions?

Talent fumbles the ball for no reason on the sideline?

Talent whiffs on blocks on the punt team?

Talent allows receivers to get behind them, catches them up and then whiffs on the tackle?

Schwartz has his issues, but today was 100% on the players IMO. Awful, awful performance.

November 24th, 2013, 5:16 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I agree that today was on the players, but most of those are Discipline in assignment or Fundamentals error. Something we commit week in and week out (Just twice as many as normal today) and that tells me we as a team don't have a focus on those 2 necessary items, and that partially falls on the coaches.

November 24th, 2013, 5:25 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

UK Lion wrote:
Talent throws the ball to Tampa Bay DBs on 2 occasions?

Talent fumbles the ball for no reason on the sideline?

Talent whiffs on blocks on the punt team?

Talent allows receivers to get behind them, catches them up and then whiffs on the tackle?

Schwartz has his issues, but today was 100% on the players IMO. Awful, awful performance.

You're missing the point. You can't fire an entire team. But the fact is, a coach can have a huge impact on how well the talent on the team is used, and put them into a position to win. I agree that the players were terrible today. But we've seen numerous instances where a team with talent that can't perform well under on coach, suddenly performs great under a different regime. A change needs to be made, and it needs to come from the head coaching position and his staff. Sorry, I don't like the constant rotation at the coaching position either, but it is VERY aware to me that the status quo just isn't working, and there is no way this guy will get us deep into the playoffs, let alone to a Super Bowl. Just not gonna happen.

November 24th, 2013, 5:43 pm
3rd Round Selection

We miss the playoffs, fine fire Schwartz.

But for this game to be what tips you over the edge? I don't get that, sorry.

November 24th, 2013, 5:51 pm

UK, your logic doesn't hold up. What you're saying is that the coach never touches the ball, therefore it's never his fault?

Schwartz has a talented roster -- the most talented since the 1990s. Over the last 15 years or so, any given Lions team has had very few other players that would start on other squads. This team has many players that would start on opposing teams. The talent to win is there. But they aren't getting it done. You lose to TB, one of the worst teams in the league, at home?

November 24th, 2013, 6:04 pm

UK Lion wrote:
We miss the playoffs, fine fire Schwartz.

But for this game to be what tips you over the edge? I don't get that, sorry.

thank you

November 24th, 2013, 6:11 pm
3rd Round Selection

Blueskies wrote:
What you're saying is that the coach never touches the ball, therefore it's never his fault?

No, I'm not saying that at all.

I don't think this game was his fault.

November 24th, 2013, 6:17 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Blueskies wrote:
UK, your logic doesn't hold up. What you're saying is that the coach never touches the ball, therefore it's never his fault?

Schwartz has a talented roster -- the most talented since the 1990s. Over the last 15 years or so, any given Lions team has had very few other players that would start on other squads. This team has many players that would start on opposing teams. The talent to win is there. But they aren't getting it done. You lose to TB, one of the worst teams in the league, at home?

Agree! Schwartz should be canned, and take Mayhew with him. One obviously can't coach and the other can't draft. But none of this will happen as long as Ford owns the team. Mediocrity and a full house is perfectly acceptable.

November 24th, 2013, 6:25 pm

Mayhew's talent acquisition has been OK. Except CJ and Raiola, all the players on the team were signed/drafted/traded for by him, and many of them are pretty talented.

This isn't 2004 where Mooch couldn't get anything done because Millen just kept giving him bust after bust; Schwartz has got guys to win with.

November 24th, 2013, 6:37 pm

How come no one is putting any of this loss of Calvin Johnson? He monumentally choked at the end. As bad as things were today, we probably win the game is Johnson does his job at the end. The playcalling was fine today

November 24th, 2013, 6:40 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Blueskies wrote:
Hate to say it, but this game has finally put me over on that side of the debate. A loss to the Steelers might have been excused as dome team playing against a desperate opponent in bad weather on the road; this game was a debacle.

Man, Schwartz really sucked today by throwing 4 picks and fumbling once.

November 24th, 2013, 6:47 pm
League MVP

Killwill25 wrote:
How come no one is putting any of this loss of Calvin Johnson? He monumentally choked at the end

maybe bc pettigrew ducked a ball that was going to hit him in the helmet instead allowing it go for a pick 6, bc the lions cant block for a punt, bc kris durham fumbled in amazing fashion switching the ball from his outside to inside arm on the sideline when all he needed to do was go out of bounds, bc nate burleson was taking balls off the facemask, bc the Lions false start on 3rd and 1 on crucial drives, bc schwartz wont challenge INTs when the replay looks like the ball might ve hit the ground, bc stafford misses guys when they are open and bc his guys drop balls when the throws are on, bc the defense extends drives with unnecessary penalties, bc the safety bites on an underneath route and the corner catches up to a guy and doesnt tackle him, bc another corner can bump, hold, and interfere with a guy but still let him get in front in the end zone for a td catch. but still you are right, calvin gets blame there ar the end - he had a chance to be the hero yet again but failed. lets face it this is a bad team, not bc they dont have talent but bc they are inconsistent with focus and make an extremely high number of mistakes

November 24th, 2013, 6:51 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Blueskies wrote:
Mayhew's talent acquisition has been OK. Except CJ and Raiola, all the players on the team were signed/drafted/traded for by him, and many of them are pretty talented.

This isn't 2004 where Mooch couldn't get anything done because Millen just kept giving him bust after bust; Schwartz has got guys to win with.

Disagree. Not counting last years draft, I think his record is poor. He obviously struggled making intelligent picks in the 2nd thru 5th rounds.

November 24th, 2013, 6:52 pm

There's a lot more to being a GM than just late round draft picks.

Ultimately, the GM's responsibility is to construct a talented roster. Has Mayhew done that? I think he has. The ways in which he acquires the talent (FAs, trades, whatever) are largely irrelevant.

Likewise, Schwartz's job is to get the most out of the talent that he has. Has he done that? I don't think so.

November 24th, 2013, 6:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 289 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next