View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 3:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 20  Next
 Lions Have the Talent, Schwartz Needs to Go 
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Re: Lions Have the Talent, Schwartz Needs to Go
Not to blindly defend Stafford, but the Lions lead the league in dropped passes:

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats ... tage/2013/

Bring in an offensive-minded coach, work with Stafford to get things fixed. Haven't seen Stafford improve much since his first full season.

December 17th, 2013, 12:58 pm
National Champion

Ok.

I'm officially on the "Fire Schwartz" bandwagon. That guy can't leave soon enough.

December 17th, 2013, 1:02 pm
Junior Varsity

Since we can't fire the refs, I think we need some changes in the coaching staff. I wouldn't be against giving Schwartz another year, if we got rid of Linehan and Downing.

Can we bring in a QB whisperer?

December 17th, 2013, 2:00 pm
Varsity Captain

There is NO excuse for not shuffling the coaching staff this off season. I'm not saying "Fire Schwartz," but there needs to be some serious consideration to replacing other coaches.
What bites me is watching KC. Underachieved last year, bring in Andy Reid and look at them. Why the hell can't that be us?? Just one time...

December 17th, 2013, 2:19 pm
Team MVP

NJLION wrote:
Since we can't fire the refs, I think we need some changes in the coaching staff. I wouldn't be against giving Schwartz another year, if we got rid of Linehan and Downing.

Can we bring in a QB whisperer?

Screw that, can Schwartz...hes a moron.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 17th, 2013, 3:17 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Blueskies wrote:
Not to blindly defend Stafford, but the Lions lead the league in dropped passes:

Bring in an offensive-minded coach, work with Stafford to get things fixed. Haven't seen Stafford improve much since his first full season.

" Haven't seen Stafford improve much since his first full season "

Agree, Stafford isn't the problem. I don't believe he's played very well all season. But I think he will bounce back and play better next year. Hopefully with a new coaching staff.

December 17th, 2013, 3:21 pm
RIP Killer

liontrax wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

Agree, Stafford isn't the problem. I don't believe he's played very well all season. But I think he will bounce back and play better next year. Hopefully with a new coaching staff.

Stafford has been wildly inconsistent the entire season. I was saying this back in week three or four, and people jumped on me like I was beating on their mothers. The thread that was questioning whether Stafford was the best QB in Lions history was one place where the same thing was happening. People defending Stafford, saying that it wasn't his fault due to the dropped passes. I agree, SOME of the dropped passes are not his fault. But some of them ARE his fault. Why? There are times when he is throwing the ball from weird angles and it is difficult for the receiver to pick up the path of the ball. Instead of being above the heads of defenders the ball is level with their heads or just barely above, and I can tell you that it's not easy to pick that up.

I think Stafford IS part of the problem. You can't deny that these past five games it has been his extremely poor play, particularly in the final quarter of each game, that has hurt this team. I mean, 31 turnovers and 21 of them are committed by him. Sorry, but he's flat out sucked and has shown himself to be a player who wilts under pressure. Yes, he may have led the team to a come from behind victory a time or two. But that was usually preceded by some terrible plays on his part that put the team in position to have to come from behind rather than already having a comfortable lead. And as many times as his receivers have dropped passes that clearly should have been caught, they have made brilliant catches on balls that probably should never have been thrown.

At this point the Lions simply can't be rid of Stafford. He signed an extension that guaranteed him $94M. You don't toss that aside. But the franchise won't go anywhere unless he pulls his head from his rectum.

December 17th, 2013, 4:12 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Bill Obrien, John Gruden, or Mike Shanahan?

December 17th, 2013, 5:03 pm

m2karateman wrote:
liontrax wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

Stafford has been wildly inconsistent the entire season. I was saying this back in week three or four, and people jumped on me like I was beating on their mothers. The thread that was questioning whether Stafford was the best QB in Lions history was one place where the same thing was happening. People defending Stafford, saying that it wasn't his fault due to the dropped passes. I agree, SOME of the dropped passes are not his fault. But some of them ARE his fault. Why? There are times when he is throwing the ball from weird angles and it is difficult for the receiver to pick up the path of the ball. Instead of being above the heads of defenders the ball is level with their heads or just barely above, and I can tell you that it's not easy to pick that up.

I think Stafford IS part of the problem. You can't deny that these past five games it has been his extremely poor play, particularly in the final quarter of each game, that has hurt this team. I mean, 31 turnovers and 21 of them are committed by him. Sorry, but he's flat out sucked and has shown himself to be a player who wilts under pressure. Yes, he may have led the team to a come from behind victory a time or two. But that was usually preceded by some terrible plays on his part that put the team in position to have to come from behind rather than already having a comfortable lead. And as many times as his receivers have dropped passes that clearly should have been caught, they have made brilliant catches on balls that probably should never have been thrown.

At this point the Lions simply can't be rid of Stafford. He signed an extension that guaranteed him $94M. You don't toss that aside. But the franchise won't go anywhere unless he pulls his head from his rectum.

I agree that he's been inconsistent which has led to being a problem for the team, but I wonder how much have that has been because of the way they've been calling the games. Last year he threw more than anyone in league history. I wonder if they aren't putting too much on him, which is leading to the inconsistencies. The running game has been effective and they go away from it. 3rd and 2 and they empty the backfield and put it on Stafford.

Yes, he's paid a lot and he's paid to live under that pressure, but if you put him under that pressure the entire time, it can overwhelm even the best. He is definitely having a bad season and I think even he'd admit to having to simply play better, but I think some of the blame has to fall on the coaching staff for what they're putting on him or not coaching him to improve in the obviously weak areas.

December 17th, 2013, 5:11 pm

Killwill25 wrote:

Chris Burke from SI was hearing O'Brien's name thrown around, but maybe it's just me that I cringe about another Penn State name in the front office...

December 17th, 2013, 5:11 pm
QB Coach

njroar wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

Chris Burke from SI was hearing O'Brien's name thrown around, but maybe it's just me that I cringe about another Penn State name in the front office...

Well if it makes you feel any better he was with the Patriots before that, so he's been around a winning NFL organization before.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

December 17th, 2013, 5:14 pm
Junior Varsity

Killwill25 wrote:

Gruden.

December 17th, 2013, 5:15 pm
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:
liontrax wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

If that were true, Then Bret Favre would have had the same problems with his receivers. If your making Calvin Johnson money, you better catch the damn ball regardless what trajectory it's coming from if it hits you in the hands.

December 17th, 2013, 9:59 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

There are three big problems with Stafford and the passing game. The first is he is trying to hard and trying to make the perfect throw every time and it is actually causing him to miss receivers and force balls where he shouldn't. The second is the inexcusable drops on those passes where Stafford does put the ball right on the money. The third is teams don't fear the run even when the Lions are running the ball well; because they know they are going to abandon it and throw the ball 40+ times a game regardless of the situation.

Stafford needs to settle down and let the game come to him and start throwing to spots and let the receivers do their part of the job. With that said the coaching staff needs to do their job and put Stafford and the offense in a position to succeed. Linehan has a high powered offense but it is so rigid and seems completely lacking of any ability to alter. Where are the plays under C that would allow for some playaction plays that are actually believable instead of that pathetic shotgun fake? Stafford was actually a pretty good playaction QB in college and was successful when he was under C. Where are bootleg plays? Stafford isn't RGIII but he is athletic enough to get out in space and move. They need to take advantage of that and stack one side and allow Stafford to roll out to the weak side where he can take advantage of single coverage or tuck and run. Where are the pre snap shifts and men in motion?

To get back on topic about Schwartz in my opinion from what I've seen he just doesn't have the "it" factor to take a team to the top. Take the time and watch him on the sideline, he is usually either standing their looking confused and/or dumbfounded or simply angry and looking to erupt. As a HC he can't at any point allow himself to have that deer in the headlights look that he often has. Schwartz is a good HC but in today's NFL a great HC is needed. I think Schwartz could be a great HC but in college not in the NFL. I'm leaning towards Bill O'Brien as the top canidate to replace Schwartz. He is a no nonsense coach that will clean up the Lions and isn't afraid to let players know when they f'd up, just ask Brady. Which leads to his ability to coach and develop QBs. Next on the list is Darrell Bevell and his ability to run a potent yet balanced offense. The last offensive minded guy is Josh McDaniel. He is a brilliant offensive minded guy and actually was looking like he had a future as a HC as long as he isn't allowed to make any draft day decisions. My top defensive guy is Ray Horton but he would have to find an effective OC to help grow the offense and make them more consistent and reliable. If they go with an offensive minded HC, I'd wouldn't mind seeing Rex Ryan brought in as the DC if he is let go by the Jets.

At the end of the day the potential is there this team just needs somebody that can tap into that talent and not just scratch the surface.

December 17th, 2013, 11:34 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
for all the schwartz knocking had to just get this one in on mayhew. cliff avril has 8 sacks and 5 forced fumbles on the season for seattle. chris houston has had an alphonso smith like season and jason jones injury is one where he will make it back but wont ever be the same. mayhew acted quickly with houston, far overpaying him compared to equally talented CBs that went later in FA. with that constellation of moves the Lions went away from there philosophy of buidling through the DL on defense. worst part of it is that avril didnt cost nearly as much as mayhew feared. ziggy ansah when healthy has been a clear upgrade over KVB but what the Lions have gotten from Willie Young and company is nowhere near Avril s production - particularly in forcing turnovers and bringing the QB to the ground. Young is not a liability by any means but Suh and Fairley make a lot of plays for the ends to clean up even more so this year than in years past but the ends arent there to bottle it up.

Sorry Legend, but you can't blame Mayhew for Avril leaving. Avril was offered a 3 year, $30 million deal in 2011 and turned them down. He got tagged and played for $10.6 million. He then CHOSE to leave the Lions and go to Seattle to play on a contract paying him $15 million over two years. Sorry, but Avril made a choice to go elsewhere. And I have a feeling it has to do just as much with the team and coaching as it did with the front office. Our need at cornerback was far greater than our need at DE. And Houston isn't costing this team near what Avril would have. I'm sure to keep him the Lions would have had to give him a long term, high priced deal. And sorry, but he's just not worth that, even if he does have 8 sacks and 5 fumbles forced. I agree that Houston has been disappointing, but based on his production from previous years there was no way to see this coming. Avril's production does not warrant $10 million a season.

it appears to me that mayhew is the one that burned the bridge, avril wanted to come back - he was even jealous of Tulloch's contract the previous year even though it was for far less money than Avril got per year. as for Houston there were many other corners of equal talent that went for peanuts on the open market compared to what he got. fact is mayhew blew his wad on the open market before getting a feel for how that market was going to play out at cornerback. so yes there was a need but Houston didn't have a great season last year - certainly not as good as avrils and this season he s flat out awful. for some reason a 5yr/$25 million deal that has yielded next to zero production cant be criticized? yes avril would be getting paid more than Houston but the Lions should be paying for production rather than filling a need by massively overpaying a guy who can no longer produce. they could have been throwing in jonte green all season and gotten the same amount of productivity as Houston this year. Mayhew had a good offseason but his best moves were made for the future (rookies picks and undrafteds) not for immediate success (except Bush) and that is Schwartz best argument in front of the Fords to keeping his job.

December 18th, 2013, 3:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 20  Next