View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 26th, 2014, 10:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 The situation..... 
Team MVP

Post Re: The situation.....
Because Schwartz is the coach, I dont have as much confidence as I should.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 11th, 2013, 4:43 pm
Div 1 - Starter

[quote="Growler"]Detroit Lions
Baltimore
NY Giants
@ Minnesota

Chicago Bears
@ Cleveland (win for Chicago, 38-31)
@ Philthydelphia
Green Bay

Green Bay FudgePackers
@Dallas (win for Fudgies, 37-36)
Pittsburgh
@Chicago

Don't look now, but the Fudgepackers beat the Cowpokers and are still hanging in there. They host Pittsburgh (who look much better than they did earlier in the season) and then end the season at Chicago. If they win both games, a 9-6-1 record would definitively beat 9-7 (Lions go 2-1).

If both Chicago and Green Bay win again next week, the Lions would absolutely have to win out because one of those two would be guaranteed to finish either 10-7 (Chicago) or 9-6-1.

Between Dallas and Philthydelphia, I'm rooting for Philly to win the division because Dallas has disappointed us by losing to both the Bears and Fudgepackers in back-to-back weeks.

December 15th, 2013, 11:11 pm
RIP Killer

Suddenly those losses to Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh that some of you thought were no big deal because the Lions were winning the division are starting to loom pretty large. Chicago and Green Bay aren't wilting like you thought.

In the NFL, EVERY game is important. Those losses are inexcusable, and should cost Schwartz his job. Combine those two losses with the Lions pitiful second half performance against the Eagles, and I feel the writing is on the wall.

December 16th, 2013, 12:53 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

m2k, are you not happy with Schwartz?!?!?!

December 16th, 2013, 3:34 am
3rd Round Selection

m2karateman wrote:
losses to Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh that some of you thought were no big deal

Who has ever said they were no big deal?

Just because someone hasn't become 100% convinced Schwartz should be fired because of those results, doesn't mean they don't think those results are a big deal.

December 16th, 2013, 5:13 am
Pop Warner Vet

I was a long time Schwartz supporter but with the problems we've had and being consistently inconsistent, I believe the problems come down to coaching. I think Schwartz has taken us as far as he can, unfortunately I have no idea who would be an ideal coach to replace him.

Like may Lions fans I am setting my expectations very low so that I am not emotionally hurt when we lose out. After some careful thought I believe we will be strung along with wins against Ravens & Giants only to have those dreams dashed by getting our asses handed to us by Minnesota (no they will not just lay down and play for draft position). Green Bay beats Chicago to take the division with a healthy (ish) Rodgers.

If we by some crazy chance win the division I think we stand a good chance against SF at home, not so much against Carolina. Winning a playoff game should save Schwartz's position though it won't do anything to help us next year accept maintain the status quo - we will be a team with all the pieces that shoots itself in the foot whenever they get some traction.

December 16th, 2013, 3:00 pm
RIP Killer

UK Lion wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

Just because someone hasn't become 100% convinced Schwartz should be fired because of those results, doesn't mean they don't think those results are a big deal.

There were a number of folks on here who took the stance 'but they are in first place in the divisioin'. There were folks defending Schwartz and the Lions despite those losses. There were folks who were perfectly content in the middle of the season to watch the sloppy play, the questionable decisions and the boneheaded penalties because the Lions were, at the time, leading the NFCN division.

Not any more. All that crap has caught up to them. You don't defend a coach after losses like that if you feel like the losses are a big deal.

December 16th, 2013, 11:45 pm
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:
UK Lion wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

There were a number of folks on here who took the stance 'but they are in first place in the divisioin'. There were folks defending Schwartz and the Lions despite those losses. There were folks who were perfectly content in the middle of the season to watch the sloppy play, the questionable decisions and the boneheaded penalties because the Lions were, at the time, leading the NFCN division.

Not any more. All that crap has caught up to them. You don't defend a coach after losses like that if you feel like the losses are a big deal.

There was not 1 single person content with the turn overs. That statement is BS. We hated the Turn Overs. But, Schwartz is not at fault when a pass gets tipped and then bounces off 4 players hands and lands in a defensive players hands. Schwartz did not fumble the ball. Schwartz did not throw into double coverage. And if you think he didn't stress ball security to his players, then you are being unreasonable. Any coach would be harping about it to his players. And I am sure Schwartz is no different. It's just some of us are more patient than to give up on the season when we are still in 1st place. Well guess what? We are no longer in 1st place. And I said that if we miss the playoffs, I would support firing Schwartz.

December 17th, 2013, 12:49 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

BillySims wrote:
There was not 1 single person content with the turn overs. That statement is BS. We hated the Turn Overs. But, Schwartz is not at fault when a pass gets tipped and then bounces off 4 players hands and lands in a defensive players hands. Schwartz did not fumble the ball. Schwartz did not throw into double coverage. And if you think he didn't stress ball security to his players, then you are being unreasonable. Any coach would be harping about it to his players. And I am sure Schwartz is no different. It's just some of us are more patient than to give up on the season when we are still in 1st place. Well guess what? We are no longer in 1st place. And I said that if we miss the playoffs, I would support firing Schwartz.

Not arguing if ppl were content with the turnovers, but there were plenty that said "relax, were in 1st place..... it's just 1 game... etc".

Just so tired of watching us drastically under-perform with solid talent. Ready to try something new, even if it fails.

December 17th, 2013, 1:46 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Hall of Fame Player

DJ-B wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Not arguing if ppl were content with the turnovers, but there were plenty that said "relax, were in 1st place..... it's just 1 game... etc".

Just so tired of watching us drastically under-perform with solid talent. Ready to try something new, even if it fails.

My point is that some of us just aren't ready to jump out of the airplane before it's time to jump. We were trying to enjoy a season for once. And all the negative nancy's have now gotten their wish. Rejoice, rejoice, the wicked Scwartz is dead. Enjoy your friggin rebuild. Don't say it won't happen. This is the Lions. It most certainly will happen. Congratulations to the blood thirsty crowd. You got your wish.

December 17th, 2013, 1:54 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

they need a software upgrade and a reboot - not a rebuild. there is enough talent to win the division when the top 2 contenders are crippled with injuries. schwartz cant squeeze out extra victories but does squeeze out extra losses each year. its obvious he needs to go. even if they make the playoffs by some fluke of continued misery by the pack/bears i would still be in favor of firing schwartz. he should only come back if the lions win a playoff game.

December 17th, 2013, 3:25 am
Div 1 - Starter

m2karateman wrote:

Even more bad coaching: You have the ball 3rd and 1 on the opponent's 30 (or so) yard line and you're down by 2 points and it's the 3rd quarter. You know that you have players who tend to drop passes. Easy decision, right? Run the ball! It's your best chance for converting the first down. Play call is...pass. Result is interception that kind of bounces off of a player's hands. No field goal attempt.

December 17th, 2013, 6:34 am
Div 1 - Starter

The Legend wrote:
they need a software upgrade and a reboot - not a rebuild. there is enough talent to win the division when the top 2 contenders are crippled with injuries. schwartz cant squeeze out extra victories but does squeeze out extra losses each year. its obvious he needs to go.

What exactly does Schwartz bring to the table that some other coach would not bring? Given the talent on this team, 7 losses (and the season is not over yet) is under-performing. I'd like to try out a new coach. What do we have to lose? It seems like the upside of a new coaching staff would be higher than downside. We have to give Schwartz credit for taking them from horrific to mediocre, but I think that's as far as he can take them.

December 17th, 2013, 6:38 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Growler wrote:
The Legend wrote:
they need a software upgrade and a reboot - not a rebuild. there is enough talent to win the division when the top 2 contenders are crippled with injuries. schwartz cant squeeze out extra victories but does squeeze out extra losses each year. its obvious he needs to go.

What exactly does Schwartz bring to the table that some other coach would not bring? Given the talent on this team, 7 losses (and the season is not over yet) is under-performing. I'd like to try out a new coach. What do we have to lose? It seems like the upside of a new coaching staff would be higher than downside. We have to give Schwartz credit for taking them from horrific to mediocre, but I think that's as far as he can take them.

" We have to give Schwartz credit for taking them from horrific to mediocre "

Have to disagree. Believe the Lions would have improved record wise under just about any coach, with the improved talent base that we've acquired over the last five years. I'm not saying Schwartz is a bad coach, it's just that he may not be a head coach.
The inconsistency, lack of discipline, and game mismanagement that we've witnessed over the last few years should be a strong enough argument to remove him and search for someone with previous head coaching experience.

Agree with what Legend said " they need a software upgrade and a reboot - not a rebuild "

There is enough talent on this team to compete for our division title every year. We just need a better director.
Look at what happened to the Saints last year. Sean Payton comes back and they are back to winning.

December 17th, 2013, 10:22 am
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
BillySims wrote:

My point is that some of us just aren't ready to jump out of the airplane before it's time to jump. We were trying to enjoy a season for once. And all the negative nancy's have now gotten their wish. Rejoice, rejoice, the wicked Scwartz is dead. Enjoy your friggin rebuild. Don't say it won't happen. This is the Lions. It most certainly will happen. Congratulations to the blood thirsty crowd. You got your wish.

You are missing the point Billy. Are YOU happy with how this season has played out? Are you happy with all the crap that this team has dished out in the last five games? You want to say Schwartz isn't to blame for players actions. I say he is to blame for putting them in a position where one bad play costs them the game. Stafford threw two picks in situations where the Lions could and should have been running the ball. EVERYONE on the planet knows he's been struggling in the second half of games these past few weeks. The Lions were running the ball successfully, and then they suddenly move away from that strategy. Why? It is maddening to see them pull this crap all the time. They get into a rhythm doing one thing, and they inexplicably change it up. Good teams don't do that. They stick with what works.

You and others got warnings much earlier in the season NOT to hang your hopes on this squad winning the division or getting into the playoffs. They were playing sloppy from the word go, and some of the wins they got were fortunate. While it is true they often outplayed their opponents, the boneheaded mistakes and play calls cost them games they should have won. Last night, for instance. There is over a minute on the clock, and Schwartz declines to call time out and allows the Ravens to burn almost 25 seconds more than what they should have. WTF?!?! You call THAT good coaching? If Tucker makes the kick, the Lions have much more time to work with. If Tucker misses the kick, the Lions can EASILY run out the clock.

SCHWARTZ IS PAID WELL TO KNOW THESE THINGS. HE'S NOT DOING HIS JOB!

I don't know what more to tell you. You think those of us being critical want this team to fail. Nothing could be more wrong. We just knew enough about how they were playing to realize they couldn't keep winning if they stayed status quo. So shoot us for understanding that better than others.

December 17th, 2013, 11:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next