View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 21st, 2014, 6:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 MNF Game Day Thread: Baltimore Ravens vs Detroit Lions 
Div 1 - Starter

Post Re: MNF Game Day Thread: Baltimore Ravens vs Detroit Lions
I feel badly for the defense. Overall, our defense did a pretty good job. This loss is on the offense. When the bulk of the team's talent is on the offense, the offense needs to produce more than two touchdowns and one field goal. After that final touchdown, I pretty much predicted that the Ravens would either kick a long field goal to tie it or a long field goal for the win. Heck, when the Ravens scored their third field goal right before the Half, I was saying to myself, "They could kick their way to victory if the Lions offense doesn't start producing." 61 yard field goal to end the game. In computer gamer lingo, that was GG.

December 17th, 2013, 6:45 am
Div 1 - Starter

So, I thought I'd look at the stats in the Box score in response to someone saying (in another thread) that Stafford outplayed Flacco.

Flacco was 20-38 with no TD's and no picks and 215 passing yards.

Stafford was 18 for 34 with 2 TD's an 3 picks for 230 passing yards.

Flacco seemed to keep some plays that should have been dead alive and ran a couple times. I think Flacco outplayed Stafford IMHO. It just seemed like he did more for his team (that didn't appear to have much offensive talent other than a field goal kicker).

One big stat from this game. Turnovers. Lions 3. Ravens 0. Even if you discount the turnover at the end of the game when Stafford was under pressure and perhaps trying to force something, the stat line would still be Lions 2, Ravens 0. Why the hell can't our defense get one single turnover? We must have the fewest number of opposing turnovers in the league.

December 17th, 2013, 7:10 am
League MVP

Growler wrote:
I feel badly for the defense. Overall, our defense did a pretty good job. This loss is on the offense. When the bulk of the team's talent is on the offense, the offense needs to produce more than two touchdowns and one field goal. After that final touchdown, I pretty much predicted that the Ravens would either kick a long field goal to tie it or a long field goal for the win. Heck, when the Ravens scored their third field goal right before the Half, I was saying to myself, "They could kick their way to victory if the Lions offense doesn't start producing." 61 yard field goal to end the game. In computer gamer lingo, that was GG.

defense did give up 6 scores, thats not all that great but stafford put them in great position on one of them. they did a good job holding to FGs but the passrush was not working, they did not force any turnovers, they didnt come up with any of the balls that flacco sailed, and there 2 minute defense at the end of the first half was a big joke

December 17th, 2013, 9:25 am
RIP Killer

Wow, people are finally starting to come around. I've pretty much stopped watching. Too much talent to be so pathetic.

Stafford looks like he doesn't care or that he's too good to give a damn. Can we actually get a real QB coach?

The coaching licks butthole, except gunny has been pretty solid when the offense has gotten vanilla and stale. He seems to be calling a much better game as of late.

Shorts is a punk if he doesn't call out the refs as of late. AP did and there was no fine.

December 17th, 2013, 9:49 am
League MVP

I really don't understand how people aren't upset with durham on the non-PI call. the guy did nothing to sell the interference. Instead of fighting for use of that held arm he just made a pathetic attempt at making a one handed catch. that's a bad player who is poorly coached not knowing how to sell a penalty, instead he s trying to make an impossible catch rather than showing the ref that hey I need my arm to catch this ball and this a-wipe is holding it. I think the PI should ve been called but I can see why Durham didn't get the call and its his own fault.

December 18th, 2013, 3:35 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

The Legend wrote:
I really don't understand how people aren't upset with durham on the non-PI call. the guy did nothing to sell the interference. Instead of fighting for use of that held arm he just made a pathetic attempt at making a one handed catch. that's a bad player who is poorly coached not knowing how to sell a penalty, instead he s trying to make an impossible catch rather than showing the ref that hey I need my arm to catch this ball and this a-wipe is holding it. I think the PI should ve been called but I can see why Durham didn't get the call and its his own fault.

To take this even further, you can also argue that Kris Durham is another product brought in to stroke Matthew Stafford's ego which is also on the coaching. Durham is 6'6 and has not ever won a jump ball. He has no business playing in the NFL and would probably not make any other roster. He has stayed on Detroit for no cause other than to help in the effort to coddle Matthew Stafford.

The more I think about it, the more I've got to blame Schwartz. He absolutely needs to go after this season. Hopefully our next coach will be someone who demands the best out of ALL of his men.

December 18th, 2013, 7:47 am
Hall of Fame Player

The Legend wrote:

A PI is a PI. It is the refs job to have his eyeglass prescription up to date. it is not the players responsibility to point out what the ref is supposed to see.

December 18th, 2013, 9:42 am
Modmin Dude

DetNews wrote:
Don't blame luck, Lions sealed their fate with their own mistakes
December 17, 2013 at 7:10 am
John Niyo

Detroit — Keep looking over your shoulder long enough and eventually you’ll find yourself playing catch-up.

And that’s where the Lions find themselves now, having finally and fitfully — and perhaps fatally — coughed up the division lead they’d held oh-so-carelessly for the last month.

You can throw up your hands if you want about the officiating — a phantom flag here, a blown call there — but that’s life in the NFL, particularly this season.

And you can curse your luck when see a 61-yard field goal run a fade route just inside the goalpost and over the crossbar in the final minute, as Justin Tucker’s winner did with 38 seconds left Monday night, giving Baltimore an 18-16 victory and leaving the Ford Field crowd of 64,742 with a massive stomach ache.

But you can’t argue with the rest of it. Or with the postgame analysis from ESPN’s Trent Dilfer, who noted, “It was all there for them, and they threw up on themselves."

Yep, pass the Pepto-Bismol. And brace yourselves for another coaching search in Detroit. Because if Monday night wasn’t the final verdict on this 2013 season in Detroit, the deliberations can’t be long now. And barring a heck of a fourth-quarter comeback here, Jim Schwartz’s tenure as the Lions’ head coach won’t be much longer, either.

Errant throws, dropped passes, ill-timed penalties. The Lions make so many mistakes of their own — Matthew Stafford’s third interception of the night finally sealed their fate and capped one of his worst games — they can’t take advantage of the mistakes their opponents make against them.

Owning up
Mistake-prone. The Lions’ playoff hopes might not be dead yet — remember, this is the NFC North we’re talking about — but that’ll be the epitaph for this season and Schwartz’s five-year run.

Not that he’s biting publicly on any of that playoffs-or-bust discussion right now. Asked about his job security after Monday’s stunning loss, Schwartz called a misdirection play.

“The only assurance we need is we’ve got two games to play and we’re one down in our division,” said Schwartz, whose next defeat will be his 50th in five seasons in Detroit. “That’s the only thing we need to worry about. That’s the only thing that we need to concern ourselves with right now.”

But right now, the biggest concerns are the same as they’ve been throughout Schwartz’s time in Detroit. Only now they’re even more glaring because of the talent on this roster and the opportunity it has squandered, losing four of five after a 6-3 start and turning what was effectively a two-game division lead into a one-game deficit.

“Nobody’s gonna feel sorry for us,” said Reggie Bush, whose early touchdown run proved to be one of the Lions’ few offensive highlights Monday. “We had it right there in front of us. We had it all right there in front of us, laid out. And we didn’t go take it. We didn’t go get it. That’s our fault.”

There was plenty of blame to go around after this one.

Sure, the Lions were beaten by a leg Monday night — six field goals, to be exact. A whopping 248 yards worth of field goals from Tucker, if you want to really break it down.

But as usual, they were left kicking themselves afterward.

The Lions took the opening kickoff and marched down the field in impressive fashion. Eight plays, 83 yards, and a 7-0 lead that had the revved-up crowd ready for a rowdy night. But by halftime, the fans were understandably booing as the home team trotted off trailing 9-7 after a head-shaking display.

Six penalties for 74 yards in the first half had something to do with it, from a helmet-to-helmet hit by Louis Delmas to a facemask by Jonte Green to an admittedly questionable pass interference call on Don Carey.

So did two surprising drops — both of them drive-killers — by Calvin Johnson. And some wild throws from Stafford, like that sidearm slider to Joique Bell on a would-be screen pass. And a strange disappearing act by Reggie Bush, who started fast and then apparently got lost somewhere on the sideline.

Asked why he only got one carry — one touch, in fact — in the second quarter, Bush simply shrugged after the game. He said it wasn’t due to the calf injury that kept him out of last week’s loss in Philadelphia, and Schwartz confirmed as much.

61 and done
But what no one could honestly answer after the loss was why the Lions keep torturing themselves with turnovers and undisciplined play.

The Lions’ defense actually did a fair job Monday, limiting Baltimore to 305 yards and 4-for-14 on third-down conversions. But while the Lions didn’t allow a touchdown, they also didn’t force any turnovers. And that vaunted front four managed just one sack — actually safety Glover Quin got credit for it — after last week’s goose egg against the Eagles.

The offense fared far worse, following up that opening drive with five first downs and four punts the rest of the first half. And then more interceptions (three) than scores (two) in the second half. Stafford admitted he “didn’t play my best game, by any means.” And while Schwartz finally dared to criticize his quarterback, however briefly — “Some of it’s decision-making,” the coach said — that has been another recurring theme here.

Lots of mistakes, but nobody to fix them.

Look, some of the calls Monday night were inexcusable. And the non-call on Baltimore’s Lardarius Webb in the end zone when he had a vise grip on Kris Durham’s arm on a third-down pass play was brutal. (Former NFL officiating czar Mike Pereira politely called it a “bad miss” Monday night.) But the good teams find a way to overcome that. Playoff teams certainly do. And if the Lions aren’t good enough by now — we’ll find out soon enough — somebody’s going to have to answer for that.

The Lions now find themselves looking up at the taillights of two teams they’d put in their rear-view mirror a little more than a month ago. Despite getting swept by Detroit, Chicago controls its own destiny in the division race. And if the Bears falter, the Packers, who went 0-4-1 in the month of November, are next in line at the moment.

“You wait around long enough,” Lions center Dominic Raiola said, and he didn’t even have to finish his sentence.

The Ravens had just done it for him, really. It wasn’t much of a 2-minute drive for Baltimore. A big kick return by Jacoby Jones, and then a long pass play from Joe Flacco to Jones got the ball across midfield.

Then Ravens coach John Harbaugh had everyone thinking he’d gone cuckoo with a third-down run to set up a 61-yard attempt by Tucker. Turns out he knew what he was doing, though. And honestly, most diehard fans in Detroit probably knew it, too.

The kick was up, and it kept going and going. And as the Lions players turned and looked — over their collective shoulder, of course — it fell like a dagger.

“I thought it wasn’t going in,” defensive tackle C.J. Mosley said. “I thought it wasn’t good the whole time.”

When it was good, though, the feeling was hard to describe.

“Just blank,” Mosley said. “It was kind of a blank feeling.”

Surreal, maybe?

No, Bush said, “It’s not surreal. It’s reality.”

And no matter what they say, from the head coach on down, that’s a feeling that’s going to be hard to shake now that they’ve left their fate in someone else’s hands.

john.niyo@detroitnews.com
twitter.com/JohnNiyo

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2013 ... z2npzdnixh

December 18th, 2013, 10:49 am
RIP Killer

Here is the general game plan the Ravens and everyone else is using to beat the Lions...

Play conservative, take care of the football, win the turnover battle, win the game - that simple!

Now you can supplement this general philosophy by taking a couple of deep shots to open things up which results in one of three things: 1) huge play, 2) major defensive penalty, 3) turnover deep down the field which is almost the same as a punt.

The Lions haven't won the turnover battle once since the Cleveland game (half a season ago), since then we have played the Ravens, Eagles, Packers, Bucs, Steelers, Bears, Cowboys and Bengals.

December 18th, 2013, 11:45 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:

A PI is a PI. It is the refs job to have his eyeglass prescription up to date. it is not the players responsibility to point out what the ref is supposed to see.

EXACTLY BILLY! Legend, do you ACTUALLY expect that Durham is to concern himself, during the course of the play, with selling a pass interference rather than trying to take that out of the equation and actually make the catch? You expect him to think about all that in what amounts to around half a second?

I think your expectations border on the preposterous. He's a football player, not an actor. Players shouldn't have to be coached on selling penalties. I'm more concerned with the Lions receivers getting coached on how to catch a phucking ball. I'm more concerned with the fact that our COACHES weren't screaming bloody murder, particularly when the play was showed on the screen. Catching a ball one handed is not even close to impossible. It happens all the time. Durham not getting the call is his fault? That's one of the most assanine things I've heard on this forum.

December 18th, 2013, 6:15 pm
League MVP

m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:

EXACTLY BILLY! Legend, do you ACTUALLY expect that Durham is to concern himself, during the course of the play, with selling a pass interference rather than trying to take that out of the equation and actually make the catch? You expect him to think about all that in what amounts to around half a second?

I think your expectations border on the preposterous. He's a football player, not an actor. Players shouldn't have to be coached on selling penalties. I'm more concerned with the Lions receivers getting coached on how to catch a phucking ball. I'm more concerned with the fact that our COACHES weren't screaming bloody murder, particularly when the play was showed on the screen. Catching a ball one handed is not even close to impossible. It happens all the time. Durham not getting the call is his fault? That's one of the most assanine things I've heard on this forum.

absolutely, just like in any sport. if you are playing basketball and getting hacked on the arms you are taught to raise those arms so that its obvious the hacking is stopping you from doing something. that way you get the call - otherwise it appears to be incidental contact and you will not get a call. if you know anything about playing on the lines in football its the same philosophy - a guy is holding you you are supposed to try to push his arms off of you or move in the opposite direction so that its obvious. WRs and DBs are taught the same thing - if a guy is holding you or that arm you should fight through it so its seen as not just being incidental contact. on the durham play - durham makes no attempt to use the arm being held. after watching that replay a few times im not at all convinced durham was even going to try to use that arm to make a play on the ball. if he tries to use his left arm to catch the ball and then gets restricted the ref is much more likely to make the call. same concept is present across all contact sports and without an effort by durham thats just contact only slightly more than what the refs see happening on almost every play. durham rolls with the contact instead of opposing it and its a setup for a missed call.

December 18th, 2013, 11:08 pm
League MVP

Quote:
EXACTLY BILLY!

agreeing with billy! always a good move!

Quote:
Legend, do you ACTUALLY expect that Durham is to concern himself, during the course of the play, with selling a pass interference rather than trying to take that out of the equation and actually make the catch? You expect him to think about all that in what amounts to around half a second?

not exactly in that misleading sense that you are stating it but rather he should be a football player, fight contact with the opposite contact. this is not boxing where you just roll with a punch to lessen the blow. as you say he s supposed to be a football player (will be debatable in a few months) - if he were a football player that was worth a damn he wouldn't spin his weight away like a ballerina but rather at least try to push through that contact and try to catch the ball with 2 hands.

Quote:
I think your expectations border on the preposterous. He's a football player, not an actor. Players shouldn't have to be coached on selling penalties. I'm more concerned with the Lions receivers getting coached on how to catch a phucking ball. I'm more concerned with the fact that our COACHES weren't screaming bloody murder, particularly when the play was showed on the screen. Catching a ball one handed is not even close to impossible. It happens all the time. Durham not getting the call is his fault? That's one of the most assanine things I've heard on this forum

thats great blah blah blah, swear word blah blah insult. you are right im insane and stupid and you are so smart. good show hope you feel better and superior as usual.

December 18th, 2013, 11:24 pm
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
Quote:
EXACTLY BILLY!

Quote:
Legend, do you ACTUALLY expect that Durham is to concern himself, during the course of the play, with selling a pass interference rather than trying to take that out of the equation and actually make the catch? You expect him to think about all that in what amounts to around half a second?

not exactly in that misleading sense that you are stating it but rather he should be a football player, fight contact with the opposite contact. this is not boxing where you just roll with a punch to lessen the blow. as you say he s supposed to be a football player (will be debatable in a few months) - if he were a football player that was worth a damn he wouldn't spin his weight away like a ballerina but rather at least try to push through that contact and try to catch the ball with 2 hands.

Quote:
I think your expectations border on the preposterous. He's a football player, not an actor. Players shouldn't have to be coached on selling penalties. I'm more concerned with the Lions receivers getting coached on how to catch a phucking ball. I'm more concerned with the fact that our COACHES weren't screaming bloody murder, particularly when the play was showed on the screen. Catching a ball one handed is not even close to impossible. It happens all the time. Durham not getting the call is his fault? That's one of the most assanine things I've heard on this forum

thats great blah blah blah, swear word blah blah insult. you are right im insane and stupid and you are so smart. good show hope you feel better and superior as usual.

Well obviously you are some kind of superior athlete that has inhuman body control and reflexes faster than any living creature on Earth. It surprises me that you aren't playing professional football yourself, since you seem to know EXACTLY what a person can do in that exact situation, in that short amount of time.

Talk about blah, blah, blah. Last time I checked, Calvin Johnson dropped more passes in that game than Durham, and has more dropped passes on the season than Durham. Guess Megatron sucks too, huh?

December 19th, 2013, 12:52 am
Hall of Fame Player

The Legend wrote:
Quote:
EXACTLY BILLY!

Quote:

Quote:

At least you are finally admitting that no matter what I say, you disagree with it. That makes your opinion worth nothing.

December 19th, 2013, 1:21 am
League MVP

Quote:
Well obviously you are some kind of superior athlete that has inhuman body control and reflexes faster than any living creature on Earth. It surprises me that you aren't playing professional football yourself, since you seem to know EXACTLY what a person can do in that exact situation, in that short amount of time.

so in order to criticize a fundamental technique common to almost all contact sports one must be standing on the firm ground of either being a professional athlete or a former one? there is no reason for you to get defensive and offensive just bc you don't understand football technique.

Quote:
Talk about blah, blah, blah. Last time I checked, Calvin Johnson dropped more passes in that game than Durham, and has more dropped passes on the season than Durham. Guess Megatron sucks too, huh?

when did I say anything about durham dropping a ball? people want to cry about the Lions not getting a call but it doesn't change a thing, in this case there s a flaw with how durham went after that ball that has something to do with not getting the call. should they have called it? - yes absolutely and I wish they did. should durham be coached differently on how he s supposed to counter an arm bar? or should everyone in that lockerroom start crying about how "the refs are so biased against the Lions"? hopefully Schwartz doesn't have the m2k and billy coaching handbook but given how this season has gone maybe he does...

December 20th, 2013, 1:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next