View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 3:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 I'm done... 
RIP Killer

Post I'm done...
Y'all know I'm Mr. Positive around here - I got nothin...

I used to love the NBA and the Pistons, for a long time it was my favorite sport. I'd watch the important games all come down to the last minute or so. It always seemed close and a key call here or there seemed to dictate the game one way or another. You just knew the "star" on the other team would get the key call at the end - game over. I've stopped watching the NBA altogether.

As for the NFL, I've just reached the same point. There seem to have been a couple of phantom calls on our defense that lead to a FG or two against the Ravens. The no call in the end zone was inexcusable - the ref was looking right at them. I expect that once in a while on the road, but at home, on MNF, with the playoffs on the line - really. The league is set up for mediocrity and that's exactly what they deliver.

As for the Lions, we've spent how much money on Staff and CJ - they need to step up at crunch time. We get drops and picks instead. The 0-16 season about killed me, last year wasn't any better, and now this year. I could go on and on about this team, but there isn't much point. Why do I put myself through this?

Do you hear that noise DirecTV, that is me cancelling the Sunday Ticket. Yup, after 10+ years I'm out. I'm only going to probably watch the Thanksgiving game going forward. I think I can probably handle about one Lions game per calendar year.

After so many years of futility, the city and the faithful fans deserve better. Hell, I deserve
better and all you guys on LB certainly deserve better. I hope this team will one day win a Super Bowl, I hope that day is soon, but for the Lions "hope" is a 4-letter word. I'll still be a fan of the team, but from a distance.

I'm going to be spending Sundays in the fall with my wife and playing with my two sons going forward. I'm turning in my fanatical Lions fan card for a casual one now. OK, there I said it and I already feel better!

December 17th, 2013, 10:47 am
Profile WWW
Butkus Award Winner

Post Re: I'm done...
I completely understand where you're coming from. The three things that grind my gears most are:

1. Weekly biased refs always hurting us in one way or another
2. Why on earth is Calvin Johnson dropping passes? Why do we lead the league in drops? It's almost unfixable, and can only be explained by it being the Lions
3. Why can't the offense score more points when we're spending $45 million on two players annually?

I want to scream FIRE SCHWARTZ, but then rationality hits me; did he throw into double coverage and get picked? Did he throw a ball that got tipped 3 times and picked? These little things have nothing to do with him. The only thing I'd blame Schwartz for is the neutral zone infractions. I still don't understand why they haven't been made a non-issue yet.

Whether Schwartz is fired or not, I'd like a offensive coordinator who can score TDs within the 30 far more often than Linehan has. Linehan's red zone work is below average.

I don't have much interest in this team as of now, but I am hoping for brighter days to come.

December 17th, 2013, 11:10 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Im far from done. I had to learn years ago to not let my lovable losers not have that big of an effect on my daily life. I'll still watch..I'll still root. But I'm certainly not thrilled with them right now.

December 17th, 2013, 11:19 am
RIP Killer

Shotty wrote:
I completely understand where you're coming from. The three things that grind my gears most are:

1. Weekly biased refs always hurting us in one way or another
2. Why on earth is Calvin Johnson dropping passes? Why do we lead the league in drops? It's almost unfixable, and can only be explained by it being the Lions
3. Why can't the offense score more points when we're spending $45 million on two players annually?

I want to scream FIRE SCHWARTZ, but then rationality hits me; did he throw into double coverage and get picked? Did he throw a ball that got tipped 3 times and picked? These little things have nothing to do with him. The only thing I'd blame Schwartz for is the neutral zone infractions. I still don't understand why they haven't been made a non-issue yet.

Whether Schwartz is fired or not, I'd like a offensive coordinator who can score TDs within the 30 far more often than Linehan has. Linehan's red zone work is below average.

I don't have much interest in this team as of now, but I am hoping for brighter days to come.

It has everything to do with Schwartz. Why are we throwing on 3rd and 1? We were running the ball effectively and suddenly veered away from that game plan. Why? Schwartz has to answer for that. He is the one responsible for putting the team in that position. He is the one responsible for coddling Stafford and his players, rather than holding them accountable for the mistakes. The Lions don't have all the calls from the officials fall their way, I agree. But good teams, well coached teams, don't allow the officials to steal a game from them with a couple bad calls. Good teams overcome all of that to win.

Chicago and Green Bay have lost their starting quarterbacks for weeks, and their back ups came in and got wins. Many feel the Lions have the best back up QB in the league. I think that with Stafford struggling and a division championship on the line, Schwartz should have pulled the trigger and taken Stafford out and let Hill play until he shows he can't get the job done. There is no way that Schwartz should still have a job at the end of all this. The teams performance is accountable to him. That's how the NFL works. I am tired of his excuse making, I am tired of his passive view of a loss. He's better suited to be a coordinator.

December 17th, 2013, 11:27 am
Pro Bowl Player

You can't blame the refs for losing when the other team literally doesn't score a TD.

December 17th, 2013, 11:40 am
Heisman Winner

While I was at the game, I was completely amazed at how personally people seemed to take the events that were unfolding. There was a guy next to me who seemed as if he would have literally killed a few of the Lion's players if he had gotten his hands on them at the time. He was shaking and so enraged (not drinking mind you) that it was disturbing.

There was a couple behind me at the end of the game who sat there in with such shock, disbelief and horror written all over their faces you would have thought that they had just witnessed a murder. Faces in their hands, would not speak to each other and the whole 9 yards. Their lives appeared ruined.

I'm a Lions fan (35+ years) and I enjoy the NFL but I think that this source of entertainment (and I stress entertainment) has gotten out of control for some people. Take a breath. It's just a game and these people playing are only human. It's not an excuse for the way they played but man o man, why take it so personally? There were lives ruined yesterday and I think some people take it too far.

Not a dig at you Pablo, I completely understand and agree with your sentiments. I need to learn to get busier on Sundays doing more fruitful things as well. I just think people need to step away from the ledge and just allow it to be a source of entertainment and nothing more.

December 17th, 2013, 1:39 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

but it was not entertaining.

December 17th, 2013, 1:51 pm
Heisman Winner

Killwill25 wrote:
but it was not entertaining.

Actually, if you keep it in perspective, it can be comical and still entertaining. How many different ways can the Lions lose a football game that it seems like they should win? Stay tuned..... :D

December 17th, 2013, 2:07 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Luckily, hope springs eternal for Lions fans. Even if we usually end up looking like this:

December 17th, 2013, 3:12 pm
RIP Killer

yostevo wrote:
While I was at the game, I was completely amazed at how personally people seemed to take the events that were unfolding. There was a guy next to me who seemed as if he would have literally killed a few of the Lion's players if he had gotten his hands on them at the time. He was shaking and so enraged (not drinking mind you) that it was disturbing.

There was a couple behind me at the end of the game who sat there in with such shock, disbelief and horror written all over their faces you would have thought that they had just witnessed a murder. Faces in their hands, would not speak to each other and the whole 9 yards. Their lives appeared ruined.

I'm a Lions fan (35+ years) and I enjoy the NFL but I think that this source of entertainment (and I stress entertainment) has gotten out of control for some people. Take a breath. It's just a game and these people playing are only human. It's not an excuse for the way they played but man o man, why take it so personally? There were lives ruined yesterday and I think some people take it too far.

Not a dig at you Pablo, I completely understand and agree with your sentiments. I need to learn to get busier on Sundays doing more fruitful things as well. I just think people need to step away from the ledge and just allow it to be a source of entertainment and nothing more.

It really is all about wanting to see the team succeed and having your hopes dashed. People love a winner, and they become emotionally involved to the point of what you witnessed. I can say that at one time, I was the same way. Yelling at the TV, screaming at games so much so that I would see red. I want this team to win, I want them in the playoffs, and I want them to win a Super Bowl. Having a team that is depleted of talent is one thing. But having a team that has the talent necessary to succeed, only to watch them piss away their chances week after week can be maddening.

Yes, it is just a game. But the Detroit fans have been slapped around by this franchise long enough. The football fans want to enjoy what the hockey, basketball, baseball and other area fans have enjoyed. They want to be able to erase the 50+ years of crap this franchise has put on the field.

The best thing I could have done for myself was to become emotionally detached from this franchise. I don't feel compelled to purchase jerseys or shirts, I don't buy game tickets, and if they are sucking on TV, I simply turn the channel. Life is so much easier that way.

December 17th, 2013, 3:59 pm
Junior Varsity

Pablo wrote:
Y'all know I'm Mr. Positive around here - I got nothin...

I used to love the NBA and the Pistons, for a long time it was my favorite sport. I'd watch the important games all come down to the last minute or so. It always seemed close and a key call here or there seemed to dictate the game one way or another. You just knew the "star" on the other team would get the key call at the end - game over. I've stopped watching the NBA altogether.

As for the NFL, I've just reached the same point. There seem to have been a couple of phantom calls on our defense that lead to a FG or two against the Ravens. The no call in the end zone was inexcusable - the ref was looking right at them. I expect that once in a while on the road, but at home, on MNF, with the playoffs on the line - really. The league is set up for mediocrity and that's exactly what they deliver.

As for the Lions, we've spent how much money on Staff and CJ - they need to step up at crunch time. We get drops and picks instead. The 0-16 season about killed me, last year wasn't any better, and now this year. I could go on and on about this team, but there isn't much point. Why do I put myself through this?

Do you hear that noise DirecTV, that is me cancelling the Sunday Ticket. Yup, after 10+ years I'm out. I'm only going to probably watch the Thanksgiving game going forward. I think I can probably handle about one Lions game per calendar year.

After so many years of futility, the city and the faithful fans deserve better. Hell, I deserve
better and all you guys on LB certainly deserve better. I hope this team will one day win a Super Bowl, I hope that day is soon, but for the Lions "hope" is a 4-letter word. I'll still be a fan of the team, but from a distance.

I'm going to be spending Sundays in the fall with my wife and playing with my two sons going forward. I'm turning in my fanatical Lions fan card for a casual one now. OK, there I said it and I already feel better!

I was there last year, mind you, I am almost 54. I have been watching this pile of dung for many many years. I live out of state, and I cancelled Sunday Ticket this year after the mess they put on the field last year. A few games have been on locally, enough for me to see nothing has changed. I still get mad, but what the heck, you know how it is going to end so why watch? I left the house during the Cowboy's game, only to miss the impossible comeback against a team we all know now sucks too.
Watching from a distance is good, works for me. I mean really, in my lifetime I have seen one playoff win by the Lions. One. Every other Detroit Franchise (big four) have won at least two championships in the last 50 years. The Lions can't hardly make the playoffs, let alone advance.
How about we start here; when the Lions play disciplined fundamental football, we all get on board. Until then, they're just taking our time and money.

December 17th, 2013, 5:39 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

you guys go ahead..Ill keep the seats warm and the engine running...Im a glutton for punishment :arrow:

Mark my words..you'll all be back next year! we always are

December 17th, 2013, 6:15 pm
RIP Killer

Blueskies wrote:
You can't blame the refs for losing when the other team literally doesn't score a TD.

I want to make sure I'm clear, it isn't just the refs - they are part of the equation...

Here is the bottom line for me and why I am really done. This year marks the 50th anniversary since WCF bought this team (actually last month did - 11/22/63). A team that was well respected and won hardware before he took ownership. What has this team accomplished since 1963? One playoff win. End of story! I along with many other die hard fans have lined his pockets with our hard earned dollars and I refuse to do that any longer. He has made his $4.5 million how many times over? What is his investment worth today? Time to sell buddy!

Why have the Tigers, Pistons, and Wings won multiple championships since Ford bought the Lions - take a look at top.

Let's look at a quote he once told his son - "I don't care if you get straight A's. I don't care if you score three goals. But I do care that you give your best effort every day, and in everything you do."

Listen up buddy boy, effort is great but how about ?

We never had the Bobby Layne curse, we have had the curse of William Clay Ford for 50 years!!! It sucks and I don't see it changing. Again, I'm still a fan of my home town Lions. But for me, I'm no longer fanatical until WCF is no longer the owner because I know how things are going to play out. I've got 50 years of empirical evidence on my sides and I've got better things to do than support your I only care about giving your "best effort every day" attitude. That's for losers and that's what the Lions have been and will continue to be with you in charge.

December 17th, 2013, 6:32 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

I encourage everyone to read or read about WCF theisis/book about owning a pro sports team....written before he owned the Lions......interesting.

Frok

December 17th, 2013, 10:04 pm
Veteran General Manager

yostevo wrote:

=D> :Idea:

I used to be like that myself. But, after the Tigers won the WS in 84, I was sitting there in my living room about to go crazy wild. And suddenly, I thought, why am I about to party like there's no tomorrow? I didn't do anything but watch on TV. The WS win was suddenly kind of unfulfilling. I was glad we won, but, I didn't do anything but be a fan.

December 17th, 2013, 10:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next