View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 22nd, 2014, 4:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Trade Calvin Johnson? 
Div 1 - Starter

Post Trade Calvin Johnson?
I know it sounds like sacrilege, but should we consider trading Calvin Johnson? We could probably get a lot for him and with his knee problems and age, now seems like a good time to do it. It would be like making a long-term investment.

What if we could get the 2014 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 2015 1st from another team? It would also free up some cap space so that we could sign someone. Obviously we'd have to go find two receivers somewhere (perhaps with one or both of those picks) to make up for the loss.

Realistically, what could we get for him and would it be worth it?

December 22nd, 2013, 9:12 pm
League MVP

Post Re: Trade Calvin Johnson?
no idea how that would work with cap rules.

December 22nd, 2013, 9:21 pm
Butkus Award Winner

Ha! If a team ever offered that I'd accept it immediately and sign the best MF'n cornerback on the market, then build a dynasty with those picks.

I don't think he's going anywhere, though.

December 22nd, 2013, 9:32 pm
RIP Killer

Might as well. They throw to him for about a quarter or two and get a lead then they ignore him the rest of the game.

December 22nd, 2013, 9:33 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I suggested this in chat. But, due to the cap excelleration, they would have to also trade Stafford, Suh, and Fairely. Maybe even more. But, with a coaching change, we might as well get our cap back in control also.

The Bears paid 2 first round picks, a 2nd rounder and Kyle Orton for Cutler. We should be able to get at least that for Stafford. You think Houston would like him? He would still have a Johnson to throw to and he is from Texas.

The Cowboys gave us 2 first round picks and a 3rd rounder for Roy Williams. We should get more for Calvin. NE could certainly use him.

Suh could net us a 1st and 3rd this year and a 2nd next year. Atlanta could use a DT.

Fairley could get us a 1st and 4th. Not sure of a good place for him. KC?

But, trading all 4 nets us some good picks. More than enough to replace them with cheap rookies to go with the other players we have drafted since the new CBA went into effect.

That would give us 5 first round picks this year and 3 first round picks next year. 2 second rounders this year and 2 next year. 3 third rounders this year, and 2 fourth rounders this year.

It would clean up our cap in 1 year time while we replace all of them with new rookies. It also allows the next HC to help build the team in his image.

December 22nd, 2013, 9:40 pm
QB Coach

Not only is it a bad idea, they couldn't if they wanted to, unless the cap rose by about $30M next season. Calvin has $29M in bonuses remaining that would accelerate to the cap. Forget if they could spread it out over 2 years or not anymore, but they can't take a hit that big.

December 22nd, 2013, 9:41 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

We are capable of success with the players we have. COACHING HAS FAILED THE PLAYERS

December 22nd, 2013, 9:48 pm
Team MVP

Let's get a new HC first, then we will talk crazy ideas.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 22nd, 2013, 9:48 pm
Hall of Fame Player

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Not only is it a bad idea, they couldn't if they wanted to, unless the cap rose by about $30M next season. Calvin has $29M in bonuses remaining that would accelerate to the cap. Forget if they could spread it out over 2 years or not anymore, but they can't take a hit that big.

The excellerators are there. No doubt. That's why I said, you would also have to trade Stafford, Suh, and Fairley also.

But, the excellerations could be offset somewhat by a combination of no longer owing the regular portion of his pay amd replacing them with cap friendly rookies. We would probably have to release players like Nate also.

December 22nd, 2013, 9:50 pm
QB Coach

Burleson would save about $3M. Trading nearly the entire team wouldn't help, from a financial standpoint or a team building standpoint.

Stafford's base salary that we'd save is $2M next year but $32M would accelerate onto the cap, for a total of -30M. Suh's base is $12M and $20M would accelerate onto the cap. Its not possible or plausible.

December 22nd, 2013, 10:08 pm
Div 1 - Starter

I didn't realize that trading Calvin would create such a huge salary cap penalty. I guess he's ours.

December 23rd, 2013, 12:21 am
Player of the Year - Defense

CJ's had the dropsies lately, but it's all due to the knee. Have you seen how many times Stafford has placed it just low enough at times where he's planting on that bad knee when the ball arrives and the drop happens? Shut him down, let him heal and be back 100% for next season.

Even with him on the field hurt, defenses have to play differently. It's not his fault that Durham, who had a few good games early, now can't catch. Nate's cap hit will cause him to be released, but i'm not worried about the 3&4 receivers... Ogletree, Ross.. we're ok there. We need a decent #2 and Durham isn't it.

And stop talking about trading all the players like that will solve the cap. We HAVE to spend 89% of the cap. So that gives 13 million to play with and I'd rather the team spend it instead of pocketing it. Mayhew is gradually getting the younger talent and spending on FA, but before it becomes a natural order of things, you will have a few overprices FA's, especially the ones from the old draft system. They could decide to only pay one of Suh or Fairley, and depending on what defensive scheme a new coach would run, they could sign both to cap friendly deals IF they even want to stay.

The team is full of talent, it just hasn't been coached yet. The only thing that needs to be blown up is the coaching staff, not the entire roster.

December 23rd, 2013, 2:02 am
All State

I'm sorry but this is nuts. The core problem for this team (although plenty of us would argue that it always has been and will be until there is new ownership) is the coaching and not the players. While Linehan isn't fumbling, and Schwartz isn't throwing INT, and Cunningham isn't wiffing tackles, a lot of the blame should fall on them for poor schemes, a lack of adjustments, and bad game management, and a lack of discipline.

There's a lot of good pieces here, even if they are being overpaid. The offense can be absolutely explosive and dominant at times, the front 4 on defense are brutal, and even special teams are coming around. As much as I hate to give him credit because I still hate his guts, look at what Jim Harbaugh did for San Francisco. The talent was there before him, but Singletary just wasn't the person to coach them. He stepped in and he turned them around. The same goes for the Chiefs this year with Reid.

To try and have a "fire sale" right now would be ridiculous. Baring serious injury Calvin will still give us 5 more years of excellent play. Stafford still has the potential to be a great QB, should he find the right coaching and a good OC to run this offense. Fairley has started to deliver and I would keep him over Suh. Of anyone I would offload it would be Suh. Clean up the image of the team, save a bunch of money, and continue to develop through the draft. 2015 is a voidable year for him and after that his contract is up. If they let him walk it saves a ton of money.

In general though this is a team with a talent base that is starting to come around. If Mayhew (although I'd like to do a full purge and get rid of him for being guilty by association) has another draft like this year and discovers talent like Waddle, Ross, and Fauria then they can finally have some depth and become a solid team. If you sell off the pieces they have right now then you only have the "SAME OLD LIONS" who will have to go through another rebuilding process. I'm tired of seeing them perpetually suck, and I don't want to watch them get rid of the best talent pool they have had in over a decade.

The key thing right now though is coaching staff. This will make or break them at this juncture if they don't find the right person to lead this team. If not we're going to be look at this time period feeling bad for CJ, the same way we did for Barry watching an elite athlete getting squandered on a terrible franchise.

December 23rd, 2013, 3:15 am
Team MVP

Growler wrote:
I didn't realize that trading Calvin would create such a huge salary cap penalty. I guess he's ours.

Gee, sucks for us :roll:

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 23rd, 2013, 6:12 am
QB Coach

DisgruntledFan wrote:
I'm sorry but this is nuts. The core problem for this team (although plenty of us would argue that it always has been and will be until there is new ownership) is the coaching and not the players. While Linehan isn't fumbling, and Schwartz isn't throwing INT, and Cunningham isn't wiffing tackles, a lot of the blame should fall on them for poor schemes, a lack of adjustments, and bad game management, and a lack of discipline.

There's a lot of good pieces here, even if they are being overpaid. The offense can be absolutely explosive and dominant at times, the front 4 on defense are brutal, and even special teams are coming around. As much as I hate to give him credit because I still hate his guts, look at what Jim Harbaugh did for San Francisco. The talent was there before him, but Singletary just wasn't the person to coach them. He stepped in and he turned them around. The same goes for the Chiefs this year with Reid.

To try and have a "fire sale" right now would be ridiculous. Baring serious injury Calvin will still give us 5 more years of excellent play. Stafford still has the potential to be a great QB, should he find the right coaching and a good OC to run this offense. Fairley has started to deliver and I would keep him over Suh. Of anyone I would offload it would be Suh. Clean up the image of the team, save a bunch of money, and continue to develop through the draft. 2015 is a voidable year for him and after that his contract is up. If they let him walk it saves a ton of money.

In general though this is a team with a talent base that is starting to come around. If Mayhew (although I'd like to do a full purge and get rid of him for being guilty by association) has another draft like this year and discovers talent like Waddle, Ross, and Fauria then they can finally have some depth and become a solid team. If you sell off the pieces they have right now then you only have the "SAME OLD LIONS" who will have to go through another rebuilding process. I'm tired of seeing them perpetually suck, and I don't want to watch them get rid of the best talent pool they have had in over a decade.

The key thing right now though is coaching staff. This will make or break them at this juncture if they don't find the right person to lead this team. If not we're going to be look at this time period feeling bad for CJ, the same way we did for Barry watching an elite athlete getting squandered on a terrible franchise.

=D>

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

December 23rd, 2013, 6:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next