View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 21st, 2014, 4:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Coaching Candidates 
Div 1 - Starter

Post Coaching Candidates
...The kicked ball that wobbled through the uprights at Ford Field should be Jim Schwartz's butt being kicked out of town.

Assuming that the Fords fire Schwartz, who would be our coaching candidates? (The Fords are members of the Lucky Sperm Club and I would not trust them to own a Taco Bell, but for better or worse, they own the Lions. Hopefully they'll make a good management decision this time.)

December 22nd, 2013, 9:19 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Coaching Candidates
I'd take Bill O'Brien. Gruden and Cowher sound good but I'm not comfortable with begging someone out of retirement

December 22nd, 2013, 9:21 pm
League MVP

i nominate billy

December 22nd, 2013, 9:23 pm
Hall of Fame Player

The Legend wrote:
i nominate billy

I wouldn't want the job. It doesn't matter what decision a coach makes, there is always about 10 thousand Lions "Fans " that will hate the decision.

December 22nd, 2013, 9:43 pm

BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:
i nominate billy

I wouldn't want the job. It doesn't matter what decision a coach makes, there is always about 10 thousand Lions "Fans " that will hate the decision.

I think he meant Bill O'Brien

December 22nd, 2013, 9:46 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Killwill25 wrote:
BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:
i nominate billy

I think he meant Bill O'Brien

No, he was being funny nominating me because he takes the opposite side of everything I say.

December 22nd, 2013, 9:52 pm
League MVP

BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:
i nominate billy

that is true. IMO its definitely time for Schwartz' crew to leave town but what you said has merit. we wont know if Schwartz was the problem until we see if the next coach can make a difference. we ve seen Schwartz flip from being conservative to ultra aggressive w some of his decisions in games and the end result was really no different. maybe this team is talented, maybe its not. I think it probably is far less talented than most of us believe, lots of flash but substantially less substance. will Schwartz ever be an nfl head coach again? im thinking probably not. (assuming the ford's actually fire him)

December 22nd, 2013, 9:56 pm
RIP Killer

The terrible give up play to end halves is gym shorts in a nut shell. The no balls to go for the jugular, ever. Just like running the clock out to end the half. Accepting not throwing to the highest paid WR in the league who can win jump balls and triple coverage. That's on shorts.

December 22nd, 2013, 10:18 pm
Div 1 - Starter

There's been some questionable play calling. Fake punt instead of kicking a field goal. Pass on third-and-one without even suggesting the threat of a run. Horrible clock management at the end of halves.

Ironically, if Detroit had won today like they should have, they would be in first place and all they would need to do would be to beat Minnesota to win the division. Of course, that's so much easier said than done for a team whose record is 1-5 in their last six games. I hope Minnesota wins next Sunday. It will give us a better draft pick.

December 23rd, 2013, 12:20 am
RIP Killer

Or if the run is remotely working, run, run and incompletion to Durham

Why is Durham on the roster and why is he getting so many F'ing targets?

December 23rd, 2013, 12:24 am
All State

At this point I'm hoping that they are smart enough to seek out someone with real previous head coaching experience. Something Schwartz didn't have, or MORONelli, or Mornhinweg. I'm tired of the idea of them taking a completely unknown commodity coordinator and promoting them to a head coach.

I'd love to see the "dream scenario" of coaxing Cowher or Dungy out of retirement, but let's face it, it just isn't going to happen. I also think that Gruden isn't the right fit, because his success in Tampa was largely because of the team he assembled. I think he also has a personality that can make players turn on him.

I think the smartest thing they could do is chase after some former head coaches who at least have had the experience of running a successful team and aren't working their way into understanding their role to begin with.

I'd like to see them look at Wisenhunt, Del Rio, Kubiak, and Lovie Smith. Of those coaches I think Wisenhunt or Kubiak would be the best options because they have served as OC as well.

And this is just crazy talk at this point, but the top of my "wish list" for a coach would be Tom Coughlin if he got fired for this season. I say that because he has dealt with adversity in seasons and come back to win Super Bowls when it was least expected of his team and he doesn't take anybody's crap. He would provide the discipline they need.

December 23rd, 2013, 4:12 am

Quote:
And this is just crazy talk at this point, but the top of my "wish list" for a coach would be Tom Coughlin if he got fired for this season. I say that because he has dealt with adversity in seasons and come back to win Super Bowls when it was least expected of his team and he doesn't take anybody's crap. He would provide the discipline they need.
I would love to see him break Matthew Stafford.

December 23rd, 2013, 5:45 am
3rd Round Selection

The Legend wrote:
I think [this team] probably is far less talented than most of us believe, lots of flash but substantially less substance.

Agree. I think we may be disappointed if we are hoping for a 49ers or Cheifs style turnaround - not sure our roster is as talented as theirs.

Stafford the first half of the season looked potentially elite, the second half he looked like a scrub.

Bush looks like a liability. Bell is the better RB right now.

CJ is still great, but needs to shake the dropsies. The rest of the receivers are sub-par.

Pett is a FA and his commitment is questionable (ducking that pass). Fauria is a nice find, but his blocking means he may always be situational rather than starting.

The o-line has been a surprise, and looks like it could be set for some time with some good (and surprising) young talent coming through in Reiff, Warford and Waddle. Who'd have thought this unit would be looking the best on offense?

The d-line looks to have a good starting 4 in Taylor, Ansah, Fairley and Suh. Decent depth in Mosley, Young and Jones.

LB looks ok.

Secondary is horrible. Safety is ok, but really we have been lucky with Delmas' health (I expect him to break down next year, now he will cost us a fortune thanks to him performing this year when he had the incentives). Corner looks horrible.

It's a decent roster, but I don't think it's just a change of coach away from being a SB contender unfortunately.

December 23rd, 2013, 9:24 am
Heisman Winner

I know Gruden is polarizing but think he's the best candidate for this job. He brings NFL experience, a ring and QB knowledge. This team as constructed will go only as far as Stafford takes them. He could straighten him out.

Gruden is chirping about coming back to coaching and I think this is the type of team he'd gravitate to. A talented but misguided roster.

December 23rd, 2013, 9:30 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

I like Del Rio the best, and Wisenhunt would be an interesting choice as well. Both with previous HC experience, which I think should be paramount in selecting a new coach.

December 23rd, 2013, 11:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 249 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next