View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 16th, 2014, 1:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next
 Coaching Candidates 
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post Re: Coaching Candidates
And just for the record book both Ken Whisenhunt and Gunther Cunningham come from the Marty Schottenheimer coaching tree as does Bill Cowher. Even though neither of them have worked to together they have worked with many of the same coaches over the years. So it's possible.

January 3rd, 2014, 1:07 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Leo wrote:
Why do people keep suggesting coaches that are west coast offense coaches? John and Jay Gruden, Darrell Bevell, Greg Roman, Brian Billick, etc.

The number one requirement of the WCO QB is ACCURACY - Stafford's strength is not ACCURACY it's having a strong arm in vertical passing game.

I know what you're saying, but Trestman is a pure WCO guy and he got good results with Cutler this year (another big arm with less than perfect accuracy). And don't forget about Favre...

January 3rd, 2014, 1:10 am
Heisman Winner

There's some misinformation about when coaches can interview in this thread so here's an explanation:

http://www.freep.com/article/20131231/S ... candidates

San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt has emerged as an early candidate for the Detroit Lions coaching vacancy, but Whisenhunt isn’t eligible to interview for any NFL jobs until next week at the earliest.

NFL rules prohibit assistant coaches whose teams play on wild-card weekend from meeting with prospective employers during the opening week of the playoffs. They can interview with teams, if they’re granted permission, only next week in the days between the wild-card and divisional round.

Assistants with teams who have a first-round bye can interview only up until the conclusion of the wild-card games on Sunday, and no interviews of any assistants are allowed during conference championship week.

The Chargers play the Cincinnati Bengals, who have three assistants who could garner head-coaching interest of their own, at 1:05 p.m. Sunday.

Lions president Tom Lewand said Monday he received a number of inquiries from interested parties shortly after the team announced the firing of head coach Jim Schwartz around noon.

The Lions did not officially ask permission to interview any current assistant Monday, but Lewand said he expects an expedient search process.

“We’re not going to put any artificial timelines on it,” he said. “But as I said, the process is already started.”

Playoff teams have the right to deny assistant coaches interviews during the postseason, but if they allow an assistant to interview for one opening they must grant permission for all inquiring teams.

Teams cannot hire an assistant from a playoff team until the coach’s season is over.

New Orleans Saints offensive coordinator Pete Carmichael, San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman and Bengals assistants Jay Gruden, Mike Zimmer and Hue Jackson are in the same situation as Whisenhunt.

The Lions have temporarily retained all but two of Schwartz’s assistants, offensive coordinator Scott Linehan and receivers coach Tim Lappano. The remaining assistants have contracts that expire either next Tuesday or after next season, and teams that wish to interview them for lateral or other moves must submit a formal request.

Contact Dave Birkett: dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @davebirkett.

January 3rd, 2014, 9:23 am
Hall of Fame Player

Quote:
Jim Caldwell says there's a lot to like about Detroit's vacant head coaching job

Jim Caldwell said working with Peyton Manning in Indianapolis could serve him well in Detroit with Matthew Stafford

Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator Jim Caldwell interviewed for the Detroit Lions head coaching position on Friday and admitted the next coach is stepping into an atypical situation.

"This is an unusual situation because of the fact that you don’t typically walk into a place that has a talented quarterback, one of the best receivers in all the game and just a fine nucleus," he said.

"Then a defense that has an extremely talented front four. I saw them up close and personal (Week 15)."

It took six field goals by Caldwell's Ravens to beat the Lions, 18-16, on Monday Night Football Dec. 16.

Caldwell, 58, was a longtime assistant with the Indianapolis Colts, working closely with Peyton Manning as his quarterback coach, and spent three seasons as the Colts’ head coach before joining the Ravens in 2012.

Caldwell guided the Colts to a 14-2 record and a Super Bowl appearance in his first year as head coach as Tony Dungy’s successor. He went 10-6 the following year and then 2-14 in 2011, when Manning missed the season with a neck injury. He was let go after that season and that's been the one knock on him, that he couldn't win without Manning.

"Jim Caldwell had a tremendous influence on me as my quarterbacks coach," Manning told reporters (via denverbroncos.com) last year before the Broncos played the Ravens in the regular season.

"He was very organized, very detail-oriented, which I’m a fan of that philosophy, and he and I got into a good routine in meetings and on the practice field every day for the time we were together when he was my quarterbacks coach. I really felt he took my game to another level. He’s also been a tremendous friend to me and mentor. I miss being around him every day and I miss his friendship every day. That’s how I feel about Jim."

Caldwell took over play-calling duties for Baltimore towards the end of last year and helped them to a Super Bowl title.

He told detroitlions.com that experience of working with Manning has served him well in Baltimore and could serve him well in Detroit, too.

"(Manning) is a guy with a lot of drive and ability," he said. "But he’s also a guy that has talent, but works extremely hard and sets a great standard for the individuals that want to perfect their craft.

"I think that bodes well for a number of the younger guys that are in this business and playing that position. Guys with talent, but are certainly looking for opportunity to get better, and obviously Matthew is as well."

Caldwell is known around NFL circles for being a detail-oriented coach with importance played on some of the most basic principles.

Asked what his coaching philosophy is:

"You have to look at what wins," he said. "That’s the important thing. You have to be very good in terms of your fundamentals and techniques ruling the day. Those are the things that are going to carry you when times are difficult. Those are the things that are going to put streaks together. Those are the things that certainly will help you win games and get you enough games to get you into the postseason.

"When you look at it, that’s what it boils down to. The basics and the rudiment of it all is to make certain you’re very good at the things you have to do most often, you block, tackle, catch run and throw accurately."

The Lions are expected to interview a number of other candidates for their head coaching position in the coming days, including assistants on current playoff teams.

January 3rd, 2014, 6:46 pm
Heisman Winner

So what is it about Caldwell that makes everyone think he's a nobody? Or maybe some sort of token interview... Why is Dungy a hero for what he did in Indy and this guy is a bum? I don't see it that way personally..

January 3rd, 2014, 10:44 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

It might be that he had success with Peyton but as soon as Manning went down so did Caldwell's success, he was also 37 games under .500 in college as a HC . I'm also not sure too many people are hoping for Dungy to be the next HC.

January 3rd, 2014, 11:15 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

And he won a ring in Baltimore last season with an offense that didn't really scare anyone, and was constantly saved by defense or ST TD's. I don't think his quiet demeanor will do much to instill discipline...

January 3rd, 2014, 11:21 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Caldwell is the Dave Lewis of NFL coaches - a guy who was handed a cushy job all he had to do was not screw it up. It was clear that the team had taken a step back in his second year and without Peyton Manning in year 3 he looked like he was in over his head. His record in college as head coach at Wake Forest was a dismal 26-63. He's probably a better coordinator than head coach. I would be shocked if he wasn't more than a Rooney rule interview.

January 4th, 2014, 2:18 am
Walk On

How does people feel about Hue Jackson? He seem stearn as a H.C. and 8-8 with a dismal Raider team. His only knock is the Carson Palmer deal which he wouldn't have that kind of say on team moves.

January 4th, 2014, 3:27 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Mufasa wrote:
How does people feel about Hue Jackson? He seem stearn as a H.C. and 8-8 with a dismal Raider team. His only knock is the Carson Palmer deal which he wouldn't have that kind of say on team moves.

Like Cable I don't want any Raiders stink here.

January 4th, 2014, 11:10 am

Hue is from the Marty Shottenheimer tree also and he got the shaft in Oakland. Had them 7-4 before Jason Campbell and McFadden went down for the season and they grabbed Palmer in a desperation move. They dealt with Al's death, New Owner, and all that distraction that year, so it wasn't Raider stink on him that season. When Al Davis died, his son gave control to Hue because he himself knew nothing at all. If a team just doesn't give personnel control to Hue, you'll be fine.

January 4th, 2014, 11:25 am
NFL Team Captain

Too bad Marty wasn't past his prime, I'd love to have Marty in Detroit. Some good ole fashioned Marty ball would be great. I heard Ladanian Tomlinson talking about Marty Schottenheimer and how detailed and how much respect he had for him.

As for Caldwell - not no, but HELL no. He never struck me as a true Head Coach, I can't put my finger on it, but I hated watching him try to lead the Colts team during his tenure there. Like someone said earlier, he appeared to be in over his head.

I'd also love to see Cowher come out of retirement, he'd be my #1 choice, probably won't happen. I'm down with Wisenhunt if he is the choice, I thought he did a commendable job in AZ.

Does anyone else feel like this year's HC choices are slim pickins? I do feel like there are some solid College HC's that will move up the ladder over the next 5 years, just not sure they are ready today.

Last edited by TNLionsFanatic on January 4th, 2014, 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 4th, 2014, 12:47 pm

I don't think it's slim pickings as much as the names the media constantly puts out there over and over isn't the same. No one knows what the list from the advisory board looks like. They added a lot more minority names and ranked them better, so there's probably some names the media isn't throwing out there that could be legitimate choices.

January 4th, 2014, 1:24 pm
Walk On

njroar wrote:
Hue is from the Marty Shottenheimer tree also and he got the shaft in Oakland. Had them 7-4 before Jason Campbell and McFadden went down for the season and they grabbed Palmer in a desperation move. They dealt with Al's death, New Owner, and all that distraction that year, so it wasn't Raider stink on him that season. When Al Davis died, his son gave control to Hue because he himself knew nothing at all. If a team just doesn't give personnel control to Hue, you'll be fine.

I agree, he got a raw deal @ Oakland and probably would of been the better coach since Gruden in Raider land. Someone will get a solid H.C. in him.
Especially if he can get a solid guy at the Qb position.

if he an

January 4th, 2014, 5:10 pm
QB Coach

Apparently Caldwell met with Stafford as part of his interview. I thought he wasn't supposed to have any input?

January 4th, 2014, 8:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next