View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 16th, 2014, 1:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Coaching Candidates 
Team MVP

Post Re: Coaching Candidates
Mufasa wrote:
How does people feel about Hue Jackson? He seem stearn as a H.C. and 8-8 with a dismal Raider team. His only knock is the Carson Palmer deal which he wouldn't have that kind of say on team moves.

I was thinking the same thing about Hue, just wondering if anyone else would bring his name up. I personally would be cool with him as coach, but his name hasnt been brought up as a possibility.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 4th, 2014, 9:06 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I wasn't crazy about Caldwell (mainly because of this year in Baltimore), but I have to admit this is pretty cool:

PFT wrote:
“You’ve just got to give modern technology credit,” Wooten said. “(Caldwell) had seen every single throw that Stafford made in 2013. He looked at every single one of them and was able to sit with Matt and tell him what he thought the throws and the problems, and the flaw of the throw and what you need to do, what drills we’ll work on to correct it. That’s Jim Caldwell.”
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ith-lions/

Can we at least get this guy as our QB coach?

January 5th, 2014, 12:46 pm
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:
I wasn't crazy about Caldwell (mainly because of this year in Baltimore), but I have to admit this is pretty cool:

PFT wrote:
“You’ve just got to give modern technology credit,” Wooten said. “(Caldwell) had seen every single throw that Stafford made in 2013. He looked at every single one of them and was able to sit with Matt and tell him what he thought the throws and the problems, and the flaw of the throw and what you need to do, what drills we’ll work on to correct it. That’s Jim Caldwell.”
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ith-lions/

Can we at least get this guy as our QB coach?

Well, Caldwell was the QB coach for Peyton Manning when he entered the league. Whether you want to credit Manning for his own success, or give Caldwell some credit for what Manning has been able to accomplish, one would have to think that JC could do nothing but help.

If for whatever reason we couldn't get Whisenhunt, I'd be OK with the Lions extending an offer to Caldwell. Either way, I think both of those guys represent upgrades over Schwartz. And that's the thing the Lions are looking for.

January 5th, 2014, 5:42 pm
QB Coach

Chargers won so we can interview Whisenhunt but can't hire him til their season is over

January 5th, 2014, 6:30 pm

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Chargers won so we can interview Whisenhunt but can't hire him til their season is over

I think you'll also see us bring in Jay Gruden and/or Mike Zimmer out of due diligence, but here's the word on the street:

January 5th, 2014, 10:32 pm
RIP Killer

inheritedlionsfan wrote:

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression we can't interview Whisenhunt unless the team has a bye week.

On a side note, Shefter reporting that the job is Whisenhunt's to lose does not make me feel better. IIRC it was Shefter who reported that the Lions were likely to retain Schwartz. He is notoriously wrong about much of what he reports. I have no idea how he keeps a job.

January 5th, 2014, 10:51 pm
QB Coach

From everything I've heard from multiple sources that's the rule. Can interview this week but can't be hired til his season is over.

January 5th, 2014, 10:58 pm
RIP Killer

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
From everything I've heard from multiple sources that's the rule. Can interview this week but can't be hired til his season is over.

OK. I thought it was different, but I'll take your word for it.

January 6th, 2014, 12:42 am

m2karateman wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

OK. I thought it was different, but I'll take your word for it.

I believe they changed the rules a few years back--you're probably remembering the old system.

January 6th, 2014, 12:45 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Detroit Lions coaching search: Ken Whisenhunt can interview, but can't be hired this week
5:00 PM, January 5, 2014
By Dave Birkett

Detroit Free Press Sports Writer

If the Detroit Lions have their sights set on Ken Whisenhunt as their next head coach, they’ll have to wait at least another week to hire him.

Whisenhunt, the San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator, can interview with the Lions and other teams this week but can’t take a job until the Chargers’ season is over.

■ Related: Whisenhunt’s hallmark is working QBs like Rivers, Roethlisberger, Warner

San Diego beat the Cincinnati Bengals in an AFC wild-card game today, 27-10. The Chargers play the Broncos in Denver next Sunday in the divisional round.

According to NFL rules, assistant coaches whose teams played on wild-card weekend can interview for head-coaching positions only during the week leading up to the divisional playoffs.

■ Related: Other coaching candidates

Teams can conduct a second interview during the week after the conference championship game and before Super Bowl week, if they’re granted permission.

Chargers coach Mike McCoy indicated last week that he would allow his assistants to interview for jobs during the playoffs, like he did last year when he was the Denver Broncos offensive coordinator.

Whisenhunt is one of the Lions’ top candidates to replace Jim Schwartz, and the team is expected to seek an interview with him this week.

He’s also been mentioned as a candidate to fill openings in Washington, Minnesota and Tennessee, and Chargers defensive coordinator John Pagano might attract interviews, too.

“I think it’s important for those guys to do it,” McCoy said on Thursday. “It’s a great opportunity for them. There’s rules in this league for certain reasons on how we do things when you have that opportunity, but they deserve the opportunity to do it. And I think someone from another team, a player, made a good point the other day that, hey, a lot of guys dream to be head coaches in this league and there’s only so many opportunities so when those opportunities present themselves, you take advantage of it.”

Whisenhunt, in his first year with the Chargers, fits the profile Lions general manager Martin Mayhew and president Tom Lewand laid out last week for their next head coach.

He spent six seasons as head coach in Arizona and took the Cardinals to one Super Bowl, won a championship as offensive coordinator with the Pittsburgh Steelers, was a big part of San Diego’s turnaround this year, and has the offensive credentials to help straighten out Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford.

Philip Rivers completed a career-best 69.5% of his passes under Whisenhunt’s tutelage this year, and Whisenhunt previously worked with the likes of Kurt Warner and Ben Roethlisberger.

“I loved him as a coach,” Warner told the Free Press this week. “Just felt like he definitely deserved another opportunity after what he accomplished in Arizona, something that nobody had been able to accomplish before. I think he’s a good leader, I think he comes in with a vision, I think he’s a guy that’s very even keel, which I believe is huge for a head coach. A guy that can always steady the ship.”

The Chargers managed just 318 yards of offense today, but they ran 40 times for 196 yards and kept the Bengals off balance with some no-huddle offense in the second half.

Whisenhunt, who played two seasons with Mayhew in Washington, told the Free Press this week that he wants to be a head coach again.

“I think the competitive nature of everybody wants to always do that,” he said. “But like I said, I’m very fortunate to have been given this opportunity here and I’m really excited about where we are.”

The Lions have conducted just one known formal interview so far, with Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator Jim Caldwell.

Bengals coordinators Jay Gruden (offense) and Mike Zimmer (defense) and 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman also are available to interview for the first time this week, and Gruden and Zimmer can be hired immediately because the Bengals are out of the playoffs.

Contact Dave Birkett: dbirkett@freepress.com . Follow him on Twitter @davebirkett.

January 6th, 2014, 9:54 am
Junior Varsity

I like Whisenhunt for the job. I'll be surprised if he doesn't end up getting hired. I just hope Mayhew doesn't panic if the Chargers continue to win and he can't hire right away. However, other teams will be courting him, so this will be interesting.

January 6th, 2014, 10:11 am

January 6th, 2014, 12:53 pm
Team MVP

Glad to see Jay Gruden's name associated with an interview.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 6th, 2014, 12:57 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Gruden has no previous HC experience. Thought that was a prerequisite. On top of that his offense didn't go yesterday.

January 6th, 2014, 1:12 pm
Modmin Dude

liontrax wrote:
Gruden has no previous HC experience. Thought that was a prerequisite. On top of that his offense didn't go yesterday.
He has plenty of HC experience, albeit in Arena Football...

Quote:
PLAYING AND COACHING HISTORY — 1985-88: Played QB at University of Louisville. 1990: Played QB for Barcelona Dragons and Sacramento Surge (WLAF). 1991-96: Played QB for Tampa Bay Storm (AFL). 1997: Offensive coordinator, Nashville Kats (AFL). 1998-2001: Head coach, Orlando Predators (AFL). 2002-03: Played QB for Orlando Predators. 2004-08: Head coach, Orlando Predators. 2002-08: Assistant coach, Tampa Bay Buccaneers. 2009: Offensive coordinator, Florida Tuskers (UFL). 2010: Head coach, Florida Tuskers. 2011-present: Offensive coordinator, Bengals.

http://www.bengals.com/team/coaches/Gru ... 706069c0b6

January 6th, 2014, 1:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next