View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 19th, 2014, 7:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Coaching Candidates 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Coaching Candidates
liontrax wrote:
Gruden has no previous HC experience. Thought that was a prerequisite. On top of that his offense didn't go yesterday.

True, but the bigger question would be if the Lions would be willing to offer Gruden the OC position, with the added title of Assistant Head Coach. If he is not currently listed as the AHC in Cincinnati, then the Lions could make him that offer and Cincy can't stand in the way, unless they make him an AHC, or fire Marvin Lewis and give Gruden the HC position. At least that's my understanding of how it would work.

Besides, the Lions have to interview a number of candidates so that at least they have some form of bargaining position with Whisenhunt. I highly doubt that they would hire Gruden.

January 6th, 2014, 1:23 pm
RIP Killer

picture of Dungy this morning headed to Detroit according to passengers on the plane.

Then again, Dave Birkett of the Freep tweeted
Quote:
just got a text from Tony Dungy, said he's in town for reasons that are "totally non FB."

January 6th, 2014, 3:19 pm
Profile WWW
All State

*sigh* We can only dream that it would be Dungy. Out of anyone out there available or recently retired I'd take him. IMO you couldn't find a better example of a level headed, determined, poised, and character driven coach. He's like the NFL coach version of Ghandi or the Dali Lama.

January 7th, 2014, 3:19 am
Modmin Dude

More on Gruden:
Quote:
Lions want to talk with Jay Gruden
January, 6, 2014
By Michael Rothstein | ESPN.com

The Detroit Lions have officially asked for permission to talk with Cincinnati offensive coordinator Jay Gruden, a source has told ESPN Insider Adam Schefter.

Schefter reported the Lions are one of four teams to request to talk with Gruden, the brother of ESPN analyst and former Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden, joining the Titans, Vikings and Redskins.

Gruden fits the profile of what Detroit is looking for in its next head coach. He has head coaching experience, albeit at the Arena Football League and United Football League levels, but was successful in the AFL, winning two league titles.

He is an offensive mind, having run the Cincinnati offense since 2011, and helped develop quarterback Andy Dalton over his first three seasons. Dalton is a 60.9 percent career passer with 11,360 yards, 80 touchdowns and 49 interceptions during his first three seasons.

The Bengals were the No. 10 offense in the NFL this season in yards per game, but were 20th in 2011 and 22nd in 2012. So there is some question about his productivity there.

"Jay has done an incredible job with Andy but also with implanting all of our young players and to me, that's where we are in the NFL right now," Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis said in October. "You've got to interject the young guys, you can't draft them and have them stand behind us. We have to get them in there, get them going and making them productive."

Presumably, Gruden had done that, as he was the coordinator for both Dalton and receiver A.J. Green, a combination that could make him familiar with using Matthew Stafford and Calvin Johnson.

Gruden would be an interesting choice for the Lions, who have appeared to make head coaching experience a priority for them during this cycle because the team believes they have the pieces in place to win now, just with some fine-tuning.

The 46-year-old Gruden played college football at Louisville, where he was a quarterback. He then played in NFL Europe and in the Arena League. Other than Cincinnati, his other NFL experience came with Tampa Bay, where he worked under his brother, Jon.

He split time between coaching and playing in the AFL from 2002 to 2008 while also coaching with the Bucs, according to his bio on the Cincinnati website.

He is the second candidate to officially surface with the Lions, joining Baltimore offensive coordinator Jim Caldwell, who interviewed with the team Friday.

http://espn.go.com/blog/detroit-lions/p ... jay-gruden

January 7th, 2014, 9:09 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

January 7th, 2014, 10:51 am
QB Coach

thelomasbrowns wrote:

This strikes me as the Lions just being diligent and kicking the tires on every candidate. I don't see Munchak as a top tier candidate. But I could be wrong.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

January 7th, 2014, 11:59 am

January 7th, 2014, 4:36 pm
QB Coach

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions- ... 1da325f792

Looks like we interviewed Kubiak today. Not thrilled with what he did in Houston.

January 8th, 2014, 12:07 am
Hall of Fame Player

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-insider/article-1/TWENTYMAN-Gary-Kubiak-interviewed-for-Lions-head-coaching-vacancy/86ea3b63-674c-4ef7-9649-d11da325f792

Looks like we interviewed Kubiak today. Not thrilled with what he did in Houston.

He had Matt Schaub as his QB. Schaub on his best day, is very average.

January 8th, 2014, 12:50 am
RIP Killer

Kubiak is a decent coach, but I don't see the Lions making a serious play for him. I don't think he's the right fit to develop Stafford. Also, isn't he a big supporter of having a 3-4 defense? Not interested in that here in Detroit.

January 8th, 2014, 9:23 am
Heisman Winner

m2karateman wrote:
Kubiak is a decent coach, but I don't see the Lions making a serious play for him. I don't think he's the right fit to develop Stafford. Also, isn't he a big supporter of having a 3-4 defense? Not interested in that here in Detroit.

He has health concerns as well as he collapsed during the season. Coming to this franchise and the stress it puts you under is not going to help that!

January 8th, 2014, 10:10 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Lions interview former Tennessee Titans head coach Mike Munchak

Posted 1 hour ago

Tim Twentyman Senior Writer Follow Tim on Twitter Follow Tim on Google+

Mike Munchak spent more than 30 years with the Oilers/Titans organization as a player and coach

The Detroit Lions continued the search for their new head coach Wednesday by interviewing former Tennessee Titans head coach Mike Munchak.
Mike MunchakMike Munchak (Photo: AP Images)

The Titans fired Munchak on Saturday, after he went 22-26 in three seasons, when he declined requests by the Titans front office to make changes to his coaching staff.

"I can’t fire someone when I don’t believe they should be fired," Munchak told The Tennessean on Sunday. "Firing someone is awful. Too many people were going to be affected.

"I didn’t do anything to look like I was a great, loyal guy who went above and beyond the call of duty by not firing coaches. I did what you should do and what I thought was right. For me to maintain a job and a lot of guys lose jobs on a plan I didn’t think was right, I couldn’t do that."

Munchak, 53, is a nine-time All Pro guard who spent his entire playing and coaching career with the Oilers/Titans organization.

It’s been reported Munchak has also interviewed for the coaching vacancy at his alma mater, Penn State, and is a finalist for that job.

The Lions have already interviewed Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator Jim Caldwell and former Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak and are expected to talk to San Diego offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt this week as well.

Like Caldwell, Kubiak and Whisenhunt, Munchak has previous head coaching experience, which is a big plus for the Lions in their search to replace Jim Schwartz, who was fired last week after a 29-51 record in his first head coaching job.

Munchak is a little different than the other candidates who the Lions have already interviewed, and are believed to be interested in interviewing in the near future, in that he doesn’t have a background working with quarterbacks, which Caldwell, Kubiak and Whisenhunt do.

January 8th, 2014, 5:20 pm

FYI:

January 9th, 2014, 10:45 am
Player of the Year - Defense

And Zimmer is the fav in Minnesota now.

January 9th, 2014, 11:13 am
League MVP

why are the lions making it so obvious that whisenhunt is who they want? are they even taking these other interviews seriously? they will look like idiots if whisenhunt gets a sweetheart deal with someone else and the lions miss out. just a bad organization, setting itself up for egg on the head again

January 9th, 2014, 7:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next