View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 1st, 2014, 9:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Coaching Candidates 
Heisman Winner

Post Re: Coaching Candidates
All this 3-4 conversion talk makes me less than happy. The lions for years have been drafting and signing big players to run a size based 4-3. they don't have a big DT to take over the NT role in this scheme. fairly is too small for that. Sammie Lee Hill might have been that size but you need a 345lb wide body for that D to work right. They still won't have a decent secondary if they spend time looking for new LB and DL to fit the new scheme.

January 12th, 2014, 10:30 pm
Team MVP

jrd66 wrote:
All this 3-4 conversion talk makes me less than happy. The lions for years have been drafting and signing big players to run a size based 4-3. they don't have a big DT to take over the NT role in this scheme. fairly is too small for that. Sammie Lee Hill might have been that size but you need a 345lb wide body for that D to work right. They still won't have a decent secondary if they spend time looking for new LB and DL to fit the new scheme.

Im not even worrying because I have my doubts Mayhew would ever want to switch to a 3-4.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 12th, 2014, 10:58 pm
NFL Veteran

jrd66 wrote:

Jay Ratliff made a pretty nice career as an undersized NT in a 3-4. As long as the guy is strong and can get push his body type isn't super important. Also guys like Aubrayo Franklin come available every year and there wouldn't really be a need to get an all pro NT with Suh and Fairley as ends. IMO the Lions have the same amount of holes on defense whether they stay the same or change schemes.

I think a switch to a 3-4 is a legit possibility because both Houston and New Orleans have both recently made the switch over an offseason with great results. I really see Mayhew going along with it if a coach like Whisenhunt were to make a good argument for the change.

January 13th, 2014, 1:49 am
Heisman Winner

I don't see it that way. I think they'd need at least I new Olb to be the rush guy plus the NT and then would be left with a pile if young DE talent that doesn't fit in. Ziggy is a DE 280 lb. Not a LB. Not cat quick. Taylor is the same thing. The defense as built was actually coming together in the front 7. It would be stupid to blow that up now I think. Fix the back end and you have something. If Stafford plays a bit better or some of the other guys make an extra play or two that were there the Lions are in the postseason and this thread doesn't happen. The D played well enough to win. The offense collapsed to blow the season. The lions need fixing. Not a reconstruction.

January 13th, 2014, 8:19 am
NFL Veteran

jrd66 wrote:
I don't see it that way. I think they'd need at least I new Olb to be the rush guy plus the NT and then would be left with a pile if young DE talent that doesn't fit in. Ziggy is a DE 280 lb. Not a LB. Not cat quick. Taylor is the same thing. The defense as built was actually coming together in the front 7. It would be stupid to blow that up now I think. Fix the back end and you have something. If Stafford plays a bit better or some of the other guys make an extra play or two that were there the Lions are in the postseason and this thread doesn't happen. The D played well enough to win. The offense collapsed to blow the season. The lions need fixing. Not a reconstruction.

Both Young and Ansah could transition to a 3-4. Ziggy is more than athletic enough and 280lbs isn't even out of the ordinary for 3-4 OLBs. Taylor could actually make a great 3-4 DE like Calais Campbell if he keeps learning like he did this season. The Lions already need 1 more OLB and the type everyone was looking for is a big bodied guy that can rush the passer and play coverage which is the same as a 3-4 OLB. If they really wanted to you could easily have Suh play NT with Fairly and Jones/Taylor at DE. Your LBs could be Ansah and Young on the outside with Tulloch and Levy inside. Depth at LB is already a problem so it's not any different than their 4-3. Also the 3-4 would only be their base defense, you would still see a lot of the same nickle and dime stuff you already see when they play the many pass happy teams around now.

I don't think they should change to a 3-4, but I also don't think it should be a major concern because the transition wouldn't be a large overhaul as much as some minor personnel additions very similar to what they already need to make.

January 13th, 2014, 11:22 am
Modmin Dude

FWIW:

January 13th, 2014, 1:08 pm
Modmin Dude

Update:

January 13th, 2014, 2:30 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

January 13th, 2014, 2:49 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

The plane is still on the Tarmac. The word is his interest is real for Tennessee, but it could just be a leverage play, which is normal.

January 13th, 2014, 4:37 pm
Hall of Fame Player

The Whiz to the Titans

January 13th, 2014, 7:24 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Saw this on PFT.COM

Lions aren’t locked on to Whisenhunt, yet
Posted by Mike Florio on January 13, 2014, 6:10 PM EST
Whisenhunt Getty Images

Many believe that the Detroit Lions are simply waiting to hire Ken Whisenhunt as their next head coach. They believe that for two reasons.

First, multiple reports have pointed in that direction. Second, the Lions have said nothing publicly or privately to counter it.

Basically, the Lions have said nothing.

But we’ve managed to finagle a sliver of information. And the information we’ve finagled is that no one should assume that the Lions will simply be hiring Whisenhunt.

It doesn’t mean Whisenhunt has been eliminated. But he also hasn’t been selected. Yet.

To date, the Lions have interviewed Whisenhunt, Ravens offensive coordinator Jim Caldwell, former Titans coach Mike Munchak, and former Texans coach Gary Kubiak. The common thread is that each guy has been a head coach at the NFL level.

As we understand it, however, that’s not a mandatory requirement. The Lions have interest in men who haven’t been head coaches — including Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn.

Yes, even though the Lions didn’t interview Quinn during the initial bye-week window for doing so, the Lions may decide to wait for Quinn to finish his season before interviewing him, which may take three weeks. (Like the Titans, the Lions can’t conduct a pre-Super Bowl interview of Quinn because Quinn wasn’t interviewed by the Lions during the bye week after the regular season).

The overriding goal, whether it’s Whisenhunt or Quinn or someone else, will be to find a head coach who can step in and take control of a talented team that needs to have that talent maximized. The Lions seem to be committed to finding the right guy — and to not saying much if anything about it.

UPDATE 6:14 p.m. ET: And now Whisenhunt is definitely off the list in Detroit. Per ESPN, he will become the next coach of the Titans.

January 13th, 2014, 8:18 pm
RIP Killer

ENOUGH with the Lions moving to the 3-4 defense. It shows just how LITTLE some of you know about the different defenses and the skill set needed for the players to make it work. Ziggy Ansah has played football for 3 or 4 seasons, all as a DE. Now, some of you are expecting because he's athletic, he can automatically make the switch. Same thing with Willie Young. Some of you went on and on about how he's marginal as a DE, but now think he can play an even more complex position on the defense than DE. And who is going to play nose tackle? Nick Fairley? Nice. Take a player who is known for his quickness and ask him to be a space eater instead.

The Lions do not have the players to pull off a 3-4 defense, and they don't have a ton of cap space to sign the free agents necessary to get it going. Their efforts on defense should be to improve their horrid secondary, and hopefully find another playmaking OLB. You don't quibble with a solid defensive line when that is the strongest part of your defense. You don't change the scheme because it would be 'interesting' to do.

January 13th, 2014, 10:47 pm
RIP Killer

m2k - chill a bit. i dont see where anyone was suggesting a switch to a 3-4. I see where people were concerned over coaches coming in and trying to push the switch or even trying packages here and there.

January 13th, 2014, 11:14 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

m2karateman wrote:
ENOUGH with the Lions moving to the 3-4 defense. It shows just how LITTLE some of you know about the different defenses and the skill set needed for the players to make it work. Ziggy Ansah has played football for 3 or 4 seasons, all as a DE. Now, some of you are expecting because he's athletic, he can automatically make the switch. Same thing with Willie Young. Some of you went on and on about how he's marginal as a DE, but now think he can play an even more complex position on the defense than DE. And who is going to play nose tackle? Nick Fairley? Nice. Take a player who is known for his quickness and ask him to be a space eater instead.

The Lions do not have the players to pull off a 3-4 defense, and they don't have a ton of cap space to sign the free agents necessary to get it going. Their efforts on defense should be to improve their horrid secondary, and hopefully find another playmaking OLB. You don't quibble with a solid defensive line when that is the strongest part of your defense. You don't change the scheme because it would be 'interesting' to do.

Saw a tweet that suggested that no 3-4 and tough NFC North were dealbreakers for Whiz. Those occurred to me, but I'm not entirely sure I buy them.

January 13th, 2014, 11:38 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

I saw the same tweets but heard them from others too. Whiz was adamant about running a 3-4 and like M2 said, we aren't equipped for it. When Ray Horton's name was thrown out, he runs a 4-3 hybrid so some thought it could work, but if Whiz wanted it full time, I can see that being a problem.

January 13th, 2014, 11:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next