View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 4:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Lions Win!!!!!! The 10th overall pick in the 2014 Draft. 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Lions Win!!!!!! The 10th overall pick in the 2014 Draft.
Lions lost to the Vikings. And the Giants and Titans both won. So, the Lions should have wrapped up the 10th overall pick in the draft.

I hop the 4th QB goes at #9 and we can get someone to move up to #10 for the 5th QB expected to go in the 1st round.

According to WalterFootball.com Here is where the QBs rank on the big board. ( But, QB's almost always get drafted higher than they should. )

#5. Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
#9. Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
#13. Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
#15. Brett Hundley, QB, UCLA
#29. Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida
#30. Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson

Personally, I think Carr will suffer because of his brothers NFL track record and fall to the 2nd round.

December 29th, 2013, 9:05 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Lions Win!!!!!! The 10th overall pick in the 2014 Draft.
This is from Bleacher Report.

Quote:
2014 NFL Draft Order: Full List of Picks for Every Team
By
Richard Langford
(Featured Columnist) on December 29, 2013

After entering the season with serious hopes of advancing to the Super Bowl and then starting the season at 2-0, the Houston Texans dropped their 14th straight game to lock up the No. 1 pick in the 2014 NFL draft.

The draft isn't scheduled to begin until May 8, but with the season coming to an end for all but 12 lucky teams, there are plenty of thoughts shifting towards draft orders and prospects.

The Texans draft position, as well as all of the top 18 picks, are set in stone.

The top 20 will be set upon the conclusion of the battle for the NFC East crown between the Philadelphia Eagles and Dallas Cowboys on Sunday Night Football. The rest of the order will determined by the results from the playoffs.

Here is how things stand now:

2014 NFL Draft Order as of Dec. 29 Pos. Team
1 Houston Texans
2 St. Louis Rams (from Redskins)
3 Jacksonville Jaguars
4 Cleveland Browns
5 Oakland Raiders
6 Atlanta Falcons
7 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
8 Minnesota Vikings
9 Buffalo Bills
10 Detroit Lions
11 Tennessee Titans
12 New York Giants
13 St. Louis Rams
14 Chicago Bears
15 Pittsburgh Steelers
16 Baltimore Ravens
17 New York Jets
18 Miami Dolphins
19 Loser of Cowboys-Eagles
20 Arizona Cardinals
21 Green Bay Packers
22 San Diego Chargers
23 Winner of Cowboys-Eagles
24 Kansas City Chiefs
25 Cincinnati Bengals
26 Cleveland Browns (from Colts)
27 New Orleans Saints
28 New England Patriots
29 San Francisco 49ers
30 Carolina Panthers
31 Denver Broncos
32 Seattle Seahawks

In a season where nearly everything unraveled into disaster for Houston, at least the Texans didn't find a way to blow their shot at the coveted first pick.

Texans interim head coach Wade Phillips had this to say, via Brian T. Smith of the Houston Chronicle, following his team's 14th straight loss: "We got in a whirlwind and it never ended."

The ironic/evil twist to all of this is that one of the top quarterbacks in this draft is Fresno State's Derek Carr. He is the younger brother of David Carr—who the Texans selected first overall in their first draft.

In case I have to remind anyone, David Carr's career never lived up to the expectations that come along with being taken No. 1 overall.

Before Texans fans shrivel up into a ball of post traumatic stress, however, there aren't a lot, if any, projecting the younger Carr to go No. 1. It would appear that Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater and South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney are the two most likely targets for the top spot.

Of course, the Texans may also look to add some talent to the offensive trenches. Especially considering that tackle Jake Matthews of Texas A&M is rated by CBS as the best prospect in this class:

Rank Player Pos. School Class
1 Jake Matthews OT Texas A&M Sr
2 Jadeveon Clowney DE South Carolina Jr
3 Anthony Barr OLB UCLA Sr
4 Teddy Bridgewater QB Louisville Jr
5 Sammy Watkins WR Clemson Jr
6 Cyrus Kouandjio OT Alabama Jr
7 Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State Sr
8 Mike Evans WR Texas A&M So (redshirt)
9 Cameron Erving OT Florida State Jr (redshirt)
10 Khalil Mack OLB Buffalo Sr (redshirt)

Source: CBS Sports

In the end, I expect the Texans to take a long look at all quarterbacks given Matt Schaub's regression this past season. Also, while Case Keenum did an admirable job as a rookie starter, his 78.2 quarterback rating doesn't exactly scream "future franchise quarterback."

Meanwhile, the Washington Redskins (3-13) finished with the NFL's second-worst record, which is amazing news for the St. Louis Rams.

Thanks to the trade that netted the Redskins the right to draft Robert Griffin III, the Rams will be drafting second this season.

Whom should the Texans draft?
Bridgewater Clowney Matthews Other Submit Vote vote to see results

The Jacksonville Jaguars, Cleveland Browns and Oakland Raiders will round out the top five of the draft. With all three of those struggling franchises in need of identifying their quarterback of the future, there is going to be a big emphasis on signal-callers early in this draft.

That should set up for an entertaining draft, as there will undoubtedly be teams, which draft a little lower but are also looking for a quarterback, exploring the opportunity to move up.

The too-short regular football season may be over, but at least for playoff-robbed fans like myself, we can start thinking about the draft.

December 29th, 2013, 10:23 pm
Div 1 - Starter

The Rams must be pretty happy with how this worked out. They have the 2nd pick from Washington.

December 30th, 2013, 2:27 am
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
Lions lost to the Vikings. And the Giants and Titans both won. So, the Lions should have wrapped up the 10th overall pick in the draft.

I hop the 4th QB goes at #9 and we can get someone to move up to #10 for the 5th QB expected to go in the 1st round.

According to WalterFootball.com Here is where the QBs rank on the big board. ( But, QB's almost always get drafted higher than they should. )

Personally, I think Carr will suffer because of his brothers NFL track record and fall to the 2nd round.

I don't think Carr will suffer at all. He goes along with Bridgewater, Manziel and Bortles in the top 10, I don't see there being as much demand for either Hundley or Boyd at #10 either.

As for the #10 pick, the Lions will likely have their choice of the #1 CB or S in the draft, maybe the #1 WR, or an interesting LB or two. That is unless a certain DE slips ala Fairley a few years ago who at this time was slotted at the top of the draft.

December 30th, 2013, 9:48 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Pablo wrote:
BillySims wrote:

I don't think Carr will suffer at all. He goes along with Bridgewater, Manziel and Bortles in the top 10, I don't see there being as much demand for either Hundley or Boyd at #10 either.

As for the #10 pick, the Lions will likely have their choice of the #1 CB or S in the draft, maybe the #1 WR, or an interesting LB or two. That is unless a certain DE slips ala Fairley a few years ago who at this time was slotted at the top of the draft.

Who is going to take Manziel? I see him slipping due to his lack of size. Now, I know people are going to point to Russell Wilson and say that he has proven shorter QBs can still win in the NFL. But he is the exception, not the rule. And Manziel has had some controversy as well. I think he slips into round two.

December 30th, 2013, 11:19 am
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:
Pablo wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Who is going to take Manziel? I see him slipping due to his lack of size. Now, I know people are going to point to Russell Wilson and say that he has proven shorter QBs can still win in the NFL. But he is the exception, not the rule. And Manziel has had some controversy as well. I think he slips into round two.

How about the Raiders? Seems like an Oakland kind of guy to me. How about the Vikes after Bridgewater, Carr and Bortles are gone? Did you have Ponder going that high to Minn a few years back? We are talking about the QB position right? How tall is Drew Brees?

Manziel is one guy I'm having a real hard time targeting where he might go, but I see a lot of QB demand in the top 10 and 3-4 guys that could be taken. The more the better as far as the Lions are concerned.

December 30th, 2013, 11:50 am
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I think the Vikings will take manzeil if they can. Got to manufacture excitement for the new stadium. They might sit him behind Cassel for 1 year

December 30th, 2013, 1:47 pm
RIP Killer

Again, Drew Brees is an exception to the rule. Manziel is not an NFL prototype QB. He doesn't have the accuracy of Brees, or the arm strength of Wilson. He does have good scrambling ability, but I just don't think he's a player that will be worthy of a first round selection, unless it happens later in the round.

As for the Christian Ponder selection, everyone knew that was a huge reach. Cincinnati played it right that year when they waited and took Dalton in the second round. Same thing with Tebow. Everyone knew that was a ridiculous pick by Denver when it happened. I think if some team selects Manziel in the top 20, we'll be stating the same thing...stupid pick, huge reach.

I think Oakland may still want to give Terrelle Pryor another shot as starting QB. But who knows? They are more screwed up than the Lions.

December 30th, 2013, 3:32 pm
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:
Again, Drew Brees is an exception to the rule. Manziel is not an NFL prototype QB. He doesn't have the accuracy of Brees, or the arm strength of Wilson. He does have good scrambling ability, but I just don't think he's a player that will be worthy of a first round selection, unless it happens later in the round.

As for the Christian Ponder selection, everyone knew that was a huge reach. Cincinnati played it right that year when they waited and took Dalton in the second round. Same thing with Tebow. Everyone knew that was a ridiculous pick by Denver when it happened. I think if some team selects Manziel in the top 20, we'll be stating the same thing...stupid pick, huge reach.

I think Oakland may still want to give Terrelle Pryor another shot as starting QB. But who knows? They are more screwed up than the Lions.

"huge reach, ridiculous pick" - welcome to the world of drafting NFL QBs. As for Johnny Football, I think his accuracy/ball placement has improved this year and he is still really young. As for arm strength, I don't have the same issues with arm strength that others seem to as it appears more technique issues to me. When I watch him play my bigger issue is with his footwork and the trunk rotation that generates power - he needs some work here which will improve the power on his throws.

As for size, well you can't coach that and I expect him to measure in at the combine a hair under 6 foot. What he really needs to do, again technique, is to raise his release point on his throws. As a team interested in selecting him, I'd be very curious as to how he prepares for games. In college he obviously could rely on his legs, in the NFL he will really need to understand his opposing defenses (filmwork) and have his pre-snap hot reads down pat.

Yes there are issues, but his skill set can work in today's read-option or Chip Kelly style offense. There are so many teams in the top 10 looking for QBs, I still wouldn't be surprised if one called his name. If a guy like Doug Flutie could make it in the NFL years ago, Manziel can make it today. His style reminds me a bit of Tony Romo in Dallas and it just takes one team to fall in love...

December 30th, 2013, 4:02 pm
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

If Clowney falls, he is just too good of a talent to pass up. I also like the two top LB's, Barr from UCLA and Mack from Buffalo. CJ Mosely is also a good choice. However, if Dennard is still there at #10, he should be the pick. Either way, I would go defense.

Tim

December 30th, 2013, 4:52 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

We need a CB or WR depending on which one fits best on who's available. The offense becoming stagnant with CJ on sidelines requires a #2 that can be a #1 when he's the only option on the field. CJ isn't going to be putting these numbers up forever. And while WR is deep, i'm not sure you get the type of WR needed in the 2nd.

December 30th, 2013, 5:23 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Sammy Watkins lining up next to CJ would look pretty nice next year. There are a few others I like but not sure any are in the top 15 range and we don't want to reach. Mike Evans is excellent as far as Size, but doesnt have top end speed, but he is a Long strider. I like his game a lot as well.

December 30th, 2013, 7:08 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Player of the Year - Defense

Sammy Watkins or Darqueze Dennard.

December 30th, 2013, 7:15 pm
League MVP

wouldnt mind seeing a big time passrushing DE/OLB or another WR though I think there is decent talent at WR to be had in 2nd and 3rd rounds also. i dont think dennard will be a big time CB

December 30th, 2013, 9:57 pm
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:
Pablo wrote:
BillySims wrote:

I heard on Sirius/XM NFL radio today that the Browns front office is in love with Johnny Football.

December 30th, 2013, 10:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next