View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 18th, 2014, 2:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Detroit Lions fire Jim Schwartz 
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Post Re: Detroit Lions fire Jim Schwartz
Quote:
Jason Jones was a former Schwartz player. Ansah was a guy they had at the senior bowl and so was Warford. Warford was not well liked by the team's scouting department which some of the beat writers lightly touched on.

Yeah, but Ansah, Warford and Jones were three of our bigger personnel successes last season (before his injury, Jones was playing well IMO). if those three decisions were examples of the coaching staff "medling", it would be odd to consider that meddling to have led to a firing, given they worked out pretty well.

exactly the point. i have no confidence in mayhew and lewand. it looks to me some of the better acquisitions might ve been by the coaching staff. who did mayhew have his panties up in a bunch about? kris durham over willis? mad they didnt use spurlock more? is he mad that they didnt play montell owens or leroy harris? was he pissed that idonije stunk?

January 2nd, 2014, 10:16 am
Player of the Year - Offense

Meddling isn't being involved, it's interfering. All coaching staffs are involved in personnel. It's hard to know which coaches were interfering in what way from the speculation, but I very highly doubt it had anything to do with signings. A GM that wants to get rid of his coach doesn't green light his choices if he doesn't like the players. Way too much speculation out of one sentence from Rappaport.

January 2nd, 2014, 10:37 am
Rookie Player of the Year

UK Lion wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Jason Jones was a former Schwartz player. Ansah was a guy they had at the senior bowl and so was Warford. Warford was not well liked by the team's scouting department which some of the beat writers lightly touched on.

Yeah, but Ansah, Warford and Jones were three of our bigger personnel successes last season (before his injury, Jones was playing well IMO). if those three decisions were examples of the coaching staff "medling", it would be odd to consider that meddling to have led to a firing, given they worked out pretty well.

The Legend wrote:
Philosophically I dont buy into the front office and coaching staff being completely independent entities and I hope thats not the way its trending for the Lions.

Completely agree.

I think ideally you want them to work together but the coach has to understand that it's ultimately the GM's call. Maybe Schwartz overstepped his boundaries because of his background in scouting.

January 2nd, 2014, 11:33 am

njroar wrote:
Meddling isn't being involved, it's interfering. All coaching staffs are involved in personnel. It's hard to know which coaches were interfering in what way from the speculation, but I very highly doubt it had anything to do with signings. A GM that wants to get rid of his coach doesn't green light his choices if he doesn't like the players. Way too much speculation out of one sentence from Rappaport.

two years in a row there were reports that mayhew not even talking to coaching staff. its not just the rapoport tweet alone

January 2nd, 2014, 12:00 pm
Hall of Fame Player

The Legend wrote:
njroar wrote:

two years in a row there were reports that mayhew not even talking to coaching staff. its not just the rapoport tweet alone

Exactly. Rappaport's tweet was rather vague. Probably on purpose so that it looked like he had some scoop.

January 2nd, 2014, 12:09 pm
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
Jason Jones was a former Schwartz player. Ansah was a guy they had at the senior bowl and so was Warford. Warford was not well liked by the team's scouting department which some of the beat writers lightly touched on. Looking further back, its really hard to speculate and I dont remember all the details but one guy that the coaching staff did have forced on them was Amari Spievey who they didnt think could be a solid corner, Mayhew brought him in anyway and the coaches immediately had to move him to safety. Obviously, the coaching staff did have some say on personnel moves as they should have. We wont really be able to sort through all the details but if Rapoport's tweet is true - I dont find it reassuring. Mayhew might be frustrated and for that reason looking for a coach that will accept from the beginning to not have say on personnel. Philosophically I dont buy into the front office and coaching staff being completely independent entities and I hope thats not the way its trending for the Lions.

If our scouting department didn't like Warford, then they need to be fired, the whole lot of them. When he was selected in the third round there were a number of analysts who thought he was a steal. But our scouting department thought otherwise? That's a scary thought.

We truly have no way of knowing whether anything coming out of the media is true or not. Remember, Adam Shefter was reporting just the night before Schwartz got fired that the team was likely to retain him, citing 'inside sources'. Shefter is one I'll never believe, because he never seems to get it right. Besides, I thought the Lions brought in Shack to oversee the scouting and drafting.

Any and all coaches SHOULD have a say so in personnel. They are the ones that have to coach these guys. And by say so, I mean allowed to give their opinions and have them weighed without bias along with the opinions of the scouting department and others. That is the GMs job...to get the information available from ALL sources and make a decision based on that. It's what I've heard Millen chose NOT to do, and as such our drafting sucked.

January 2nd, 2014, 1:06 pm

m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Jason Jones was a former Schwartz player. Ansah was a guy they had at the senior bowl and so was Warford. Warford was not well liked by the team's scouting department which some of the beat writers lightly touched on. Looking further back, its really hard to speculate and I dont remember all the details but one guy that the coaching staff did have forced on them was Amari Spievey who they didnt think could be a solid corner, Mayhew brought him in anyway and the coaches immediately had to move him to safety. Obviously, the coaching staff did have some say on personnel moves as they should have. We wont really be able to sort through all the details but if Rapoport's tweet is true - I dont find it reassuring. Mayhew might be frustrated and for that reason looking for a coach that will accept from the beginning to not have say on personnel. Philosophically I dont buy into the front office and coaching staff being completely independent entities and I hope thats not the way its trending for the Lions.

If our scouting department didn't like Warford, then they need to be fired, the whole lot of them. When he was selected in the third round there were a number of analysts who thought he was a steal. But our scouting department thought otherwise? That's a scary thought.

We truly have no way of knowing whether anything coming out of the media is true or not. Remember, Adam Shefter was reporting just the night before Schwartz got fired that the team was likely to retain him, citing 'inside sources'. Shefter is one I'll never believe, because he never seems to get it right. Besides, I thought the Lions brought in Shack to oversee the scouting and drafting.

Any and all coaches SHOULD have a say so in personnel. They are the ones that have to coach these guys. And by say so, I mean allowed to give their opinions and have them weighed without bias along with the opinions of the scouting department and others. That is the GMs job...to get the information available from ALL sources and make a decision based on that. It's what I've heard Millen chose NOT to do, and as such our drafting sucked.

im just worried that not enough people were fired. yes they brought in xanders but then again the best picks were senior bowl players ansah and warford who the coaching staff had to be intimately involved with. so maybe they had a halfway decent eye for talent but problem is they couldnt make the right calls in games.

January 3rd, 2014, 12:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3