View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 3:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Detroit Lions fire Jim Schwartz 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Detroit Lions fire Jim Schwartz
slybri19 wrote:
Needless to say, I'm happy about this, but they only swept out 1/3rd of the house. I don't have much of a problem with Mayhew, but Lewand has got to go.

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You used to worship Lewand. LOL.

December 30th, 2013, 10:48 pm
RIP Killer

What really grinds my gears is that Stafford seems to have no intention or motive in trying to improve. Its like he doesnt recognize the reason they lost so many leads or turned the ball over was directly his fault. He doesnt want a real QB coach, he said firing schwartz was a mistake (for lack of better words), he doesnt think he needs a real QB coach to help with mechanics and reading Ds, he thinks that he can win and dominate the record books with any coordinator and staff, and that he should have some say in the coaching hire.

OK...the record/stat comment. That pisses me off. Hes more concerned with stats than winning and making the playoffs. He totally passes off the blame. It shows with his expressions on the field.

He accepted Durham as the #2 and the only reason he was there was because of Stafford. Ugh.

Why should he have any say in the next coach? Who the hell is he? Hes no leader like Favre, Brady, or Manning. Hes looking like a one-hit 2011 wonder at this point.

December 30th, 2013, 11:53 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

BillySims wrote:
slybri19 wrote:
Needless to say, I'm happy about this, but they only swept out 1/3rd of the house. I don't have much of a problem with Mayhew, but Lewand has got to go.

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You used to worship Lewand. LOL.

I don't think so, Billy. I USED to appreciate some of the manipulative things he did with the salary cap, but he ended up taking them to the extreme. At that point, he became a hindrance, rather than a positive in moving the team forward. Besides, he's been there something like 17 years without achieving any significant results, so why keep him? He's been the one constant, besides Ford, through decades of failure.

Clean house.

December 31st, 2013, 12:22 am
Rookie Player of the Year

conversion02 wrote:
What really grinds my gears is that Stafford seems to have no intention or motive in trying to improve. Its like he doesnt recognize the reason they lost so many leads or turned the ball over was directly his fault. He doesnt want a real QB coach, he said firing schwartz was a mistake (for lack of better words), he doesnt think he needs a real QB coach to help with mechanics and reading Ds, he thinks that he can win and dominate the record books with any coordinator and staff, and that he should have some say in the coaching hire.

OK...the record/stat comment. That pisses me off. Hes more concerned with stats than winning and making the playoffs. He totally passes off the blame. It shows with his expressions on the field.

He accepted Durham as the #2 and the only reason he was there was because of Stafford. Ugh.

Why should he have any say in the next coach? Who the hell is he? Hes no leader like Favre, Brady, or Manning. Hes looking like a one-hit 2011 wonder at this point.

In Stafford's defense, he only said he wouldn't want to work with an outside QB guru, not an internal quarterbacks' coach. His blase attitude goes back to Schwartz IMO. Hopefully a new coach can instill better habits/attitudes.

Mayhew already said players won't be involved in selecting the coach.

December 31st, 2013, 12:23 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

There is no defense in this issue. Stafford sucked, Schwartz hitched his ride to Stafford with his comment about a great quarterback hiding a lot of holes. He could not 'draft' him and then throw him under the bus ala Mariucci and Harrington. Schwartz unable to say anything and Stafford sitting pretty on an extension. Hmmm.

M2K is right though, we needed a clean house. Mayhew and Lewand are saying the right things, but it is the same old crap of the higher management blaming lower management foe their combined incompetence.

December 31st, 2013, 3:25 am
Varsity Captain

I'm still waiting for the other shoe(s) to drop for the assistance.
OL-stays
DL-stays
QB-already gone
WR-already gone
DB-needs to go
ST-needs to go
RB-don't know
TE-needs to go
SP asst. for attitude and self control....Hire about 10 old school players and 10 shrinks ( mine is a hot Indian lady that loves The Lions)...lol. I can laugh cause Schwartz and Linehan are finally gone.

We don't need wizards for coaches. We need Smart, Commensenseno BS football guys. They need to respect a players talents and respect where that player has come from. Then teach these what they need to do and how they need to act to EARN the respect of the fans, coaches, their teammates and most of all the rest of the NFL. The other players and coaches don't have to like them but they need to respect them. Not because they demand it but because thry have earnded it!

This is a hallmark of great coaches. They "command" respect, they don't demand respect. Respect that is demanded will not last. Respect that is commanded will last forever. These are coaches that can teach players the difference. The hard working ground crew guy that does his job every day to the best of his ability, for whatever reason, commands respect. The bigmouthed, wealthy drunk in the frontrow demands respect and will probably get some form of it as long as his wallet is out.

Once these players learn the difference, the real players and leaders will step forward and some won't even realize why it just happens. The rest will follow the leaders with all their hearts or join folks like CRog or Titus Young and a great opportunity for them will be lost forever.

There are guys out there that can fit everyone of our needs as coaches and leaders. They won't be found by reading a reporters list or listening to all of the "TV" analysts, owners or even the fans.

Take your time, investigate everything. These guys may well be football Eienstiens or football legends but the must be respected men if they are to ever lead our Lions to be the team that we all want.

THE END.

Happy New Year Everybody.

Please be safe. Hope you and yours have a Happy and Healthy 2014.

Joe

December 31st, 2013, 4:23 am
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

I have mixed feelings. In a preseason prediction I said the Lions would go 4 - 12 and Schwartz would get fired. I based my opinion on a revamped O-line and a revamped D-line. No way did I expect this team to be anywhere near competitive.

So, 7-9 seems pretty good under the circumstances. Still, might as well go with, 'Called it! Schwartz fired.'

December 31st, 2013, 2:04 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

Well, dudes:

I really thought Schwartz would win more than 1 of the final 8 games... With that said, that was a monumental collapse, but not really that monumental if you've been a Lions fan for 25+ years. Schwartz did indeed have to go. I thought Linehan and the offense was the biggest problem. Not enough "players making plays." Or really not enough playcallers calling plays. Or ballcatchers catching balls. Or Interceptors intercepting interceptions. Or ball carriers carrying balls.

Either way, with another draft equivalent to last year's, a play caller calling plays and a few more interceptors intercepting interceptions, and I think the Lions will be over the hump. Hopefully this time next year, we're all talking about how the new HC should be Coach of the Year.

The 2014 Lions: Because at least they're not the 2013 Lions.

December 31st, 2013, 2:30 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Heche kinda touched on my biggest gripe with Swartz. The only two years he saw success here, the year ultimately had a "monumental collapse". If this team can go on an eight game win streak, or start 6-3 then there is no excuse to lose 6 outa 10 or 6 outa 7.

Swartz showed a trend, and that trend says he needs to go beyond all other reasons IMO.

December 31st, 2013, 6:38 pm
Hall of Fame Player

thelomasbrowns wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

In Stafford's defense, he only said he wouldn't want to work with an outside QB guru, not an internal quarterbacks' coach. His blase attitude goes back to Schwartz IMO. Hopefully a new coach can instill better habits/attitudes.

Mayhew already said players won't be involved in selecting the coach.

On Sirius/XM NFL Radio today, Rich Gannon said he would love the chance to work with Stafford and fine tune his footwork and mechanics. It sounded like if Mayhew dialed his phone Rich would be stepping off the plane in Detroit before the call was over.

December 31st, 2013, 7:55 pm

Jafo wrote:
There is no defense in this issue. Stafford sucked, Schwartz hitched his ride to Stafford with his comment about a great quarterback hiding a lot of holes. He could not 'draft' him and then throw him under the bus ala Mariucci and Harrington. Schwartz unable to say anything and Stafford sitting pretty on an extension. Hmmm.

M2K is right though, we needed a clean house. Mayhew and Lewand are saying the right things, but it is the same old crap of the higher management blaming lower management foe their combined incompetence.

I agree. To some extent we know that the coaching staff had some input on personnel acquisitions. Free agents like Tulloch, KVB were Schwartz guys and Burleson, Shaun Hill were Linehan guys. Also whats the reason for the strong rookie class. Was it the coaching staff getting up front evaluations by coaching the Senior Bowl and then developing guys, was it the Xander hire or was it just plain Martin Mayhew finally figuring things out? I like the Lions roster - they dont seem to be in need of a major overhaul - but if Schwartz and his staff were a big part of the decisions to get many of these players then maybe the team isnt in good hands with Mayhew and Lewand. Personally, I dont have a lot of confidence in that duo but have no choice but to give em the benefit of the doubt and hope for the best.

January 1st, 2014, 11:27 pm
3rd Round Selection

The Legend wrote:
To some extent we know that the coaching staff had some input on personnel acquisitions.

There was an interesting tweet from Rapoport on Monday:

January 2nd, 2014, 5:57 am

UK Lion wrote:
The Legend wrote:
To some extent we know that the coaching staff had some input on personnel acquisitions.

There was an interesting tweet from Rapoport on Monday:

Jason Jones was a former Schwartz player. Ansah was a guy they had at the senior bowl and so was Warford. Warford was not well liked by the team's scouting department which some of the beat writers lightly touched on. Looking further back, its really hard to speculate and I dont remember all the details but one guy that the coaching staff did have forced on them was Amari Spievey who they didnt think could be a solid corner, Mayhew brought him in anyway and the coaches immediately had to move him to safety. Obviously, the coaching staff did have some say on personnel moves as they should have. We wont really be able to sort through all the details but if Rapoport's tweet is true - I dont find it reassuring. Mayhew might be frustrated and for that reason looking for a coach that will accept from the beginning to not have say on personnel. Philosophically I dont buy into the front office and coaching staff being completely independent entities and I hope thats not the way its trending for the Lions.

January 2nd, 2014, 9:21 am
Player of the Year - Defense

If the Lions had completely cleaned house, it would starting over once more. A new GM might be pragmatic enough to keep the current roster largely intact and go from there, but more than often than not, new GMs like to blow up the team and start over with "their" guys.

Ultimately, that might need to happen. But I'd like to see a new coach get another 3 years with this team before we completely demolish it.

January 2nd, 2014, 9:58 am
3rd Round Selection

The Legend wrote:
Jason Jones was a former Schwartz player. Ansah was a guy they had at the senior bowl and so was Warford. Warford was not well liked by the team's scouting department which some of the beat writers lightly touched on.

Yeah, but Ansah, Warford and Jones were three of our bigger personnel successes last season (before his injury, Jones was playing well IMO). if those three decisions were examples of the coaching staff "medling", it would be odd to consider that meddling to have led to a firing, given they worked out pretty well.

The Legend wrote:
Philosophically I dont buy into the front office and coaching staff being completely independent entities and I hope thats not the way its trending for the Lions.

Completely agree.

January 2nd, 2014, 10:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next