View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 6:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Free Agent Possibilities 
Varsity Captain

Post Free Agent Possibilities
Obviously nothing concrete but I have been seeing lists of possible cap and salary casualties everywhere, mostly KFFL. Most mentioned so far are DBs and Olinemen. Only a few names have stuck in my head,it's been beer30 since I left the dentist's office yesterday at about 3:00.

CBs Dunta Robinson, Asante Samuel, Cortland Finnegan, Champ Bailey, Kerry Rhodes and a couple others. Nnamdi is still out there, I think.

OL David Bass, Dave Diehl (may retire), Jon Martin could be had for a song, there are other good players out there, just can't remember names right now

DL Kameron Wimbley

The Olinemen I only brought up were because I wondered if any could be moved to G or C. Riola maybe done and Rob Sims (how old?) won't be around forever. Jonathan Martin could be a hell of a steal! I don't think we will ever know what really happen there.

Wimbley I would love to have in place of Young.

99% of these guys I only mention as i or 2 year types not long term solutions. We won't be able to fill all of the gaps through the draft. Even 1 really good FA signing would be a great help.

How dou you guys think should be FA targets and why?

December 31st, 2013, 5:17 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: Free Agent Possibilities
Rob Sims just turned 30 a couple of weeks ago which isn't bad for an OL, he is quite a bit younger than most of those corners you mentioned that rely on youthful speed.

December 31st, 2013, 9:47 am
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Thanks for starting this. i Like Wimbley also, but not sure he is a fit for our D. Nnamdi is retiring a Raider and as Pablo mentioned Sims is only 30 and still playing good, but it is time to get Doms replacement (1st 3 rds of draft) or pay a good OC to come here. With the Right OC we could actually have a strong rushing attack (to the Center/Right side) and can stop going empty backfield on the goaline/3rd & 1 (oh wait, we fired the idiots who kept doing that).

December 31st, 2013, 12:34 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Rookie Player of the Year

This is a good FA season for the C position if they hit the FA market. Some of the bigger names are Mack, Cook, Wendell, and Goodwin.

December 31st, 2013, 12:43 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

sweetd20 wrote:
This is a good FA season for the C position if they hit the FA market. Some of the bigger names are Mack, Cook, Wendell, and Goodwin.

Mack could be a prime opportunity here. Id Prefer Drafting "the next Alex Mack" but if we are a "2-3 yr window" team based on the current roster, signing Vet makes more sense since C's arent as plug and play as guard are (QB Exchange/Line Calls/Etc). Pretty sure Cleveland wont franchise Mack since OL shares the same Pricepoint and top 5 LTs get paid very Highly, so Mack has some Leverage and if the FO over there isnt willing to pay it, he could be worth a decent sized OC Contract for 4-5 years.

December 31st, 2013, 12:46 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Rookie Player of the Year

After the draft we had this past year it's hard to get excited about overpaying old dudes.

That being said, we could finally solve the #2 receiver issue. What's Malcolm Floyd's contract status in SD? I know he was hurt this year, but I always thought he would be a great compliment to CJ.

December 31st, 2013, 12:54 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

thelomasbrowns wrote:
After the draft we had this past year it's hard to get excited about overpaying old dudes.

That being said, we could finally solve the #2 receiver issue. What's Malcolm Floyd's contract status in SD? I know he was hurt this year, but I always thought he would be a great compliment to CJ.

If the Lions hire a coaching staff that can develop a wide receiver, I really want them to draft Mike Evans out of A&M if he's there at #10. 6'5", 225, He's no speed demon, but he's fast and physical. Normally, a first round wr has bust written all over him around here, but two big physical WRs and a speedy slot guy and Bush out of the backfield sounds really nice.
I think it's cheaper on the cap to draft that #2 than to pay for him on the market. I guess I'd be putting my FA money into the defense and C. If Dom comes back for another year, draft a project C this year to groom when he leaves.

December 31st, 2013, 2:46 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Boz wrote:
Obviously nothing concrete but I have been seeing lists of possible cap and salary casualties everywhere, mostly KFFL. Most mentioned so far are DBs and Olinemen. Only a few names have stuck in my head,it's been beer30 since I left the dentist's office yesterday at about 3:00.

CBs Dunta Robinson, Asante Samuel, Cortland Finnegan, Champ Bailey, Kerry Rhodes and a couple others. Nnamdi is still out there, I think.

OL David Bass, Dave Diehl (may retire), Jon Martin could be had for a song, there are other good players out there, just can't remember names right now

DL Kameron Wimbley

The Olinemen I only brought up were because I wondered if any could be moved to G or C. Riola maybe done and Rob Sims (how old?) won't be around forever. Jonathan Martin could be a hell of a steal! I don't think we will ever know what really happen there.

99% of these guys I only mention as i or 2 year types not long term solutions. We won't be able to fill all of the gaps through the draft. Even 1 really good FA signing would be a great help.

Scrabble retired.

My #1 FA Target is a pipe dream. Jarred Allen, DE, Minn.

Can you imagine a Defensive Line like this? Allen ---------- Fairley ------------ Suh ------------ Ansah

Someone coming free each and every play. Our DB's would only have to cover for less than 3 seconds.

December 31st, 2013, 7:43 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

BillySims wrote:
Boz wrote:

DL Kameron Wimbley

Scrabble retired.

Can you imagine a Defensive Line like this? Allen ---------- Fairley ------------ Suh ------------ Ansah

Someone coming free each and every play. Our DB's would only have to cover for less than 3 seconds.

Allen HATES Detroit...he has publicly said so several times. No way he comes here.

December 31st, 2013, 7:53 pm
Hall of Fame Player

regularjoe12 wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Boz wrote:

DL Kameron Wimbley

Scrabble retired.

Allen HATES Detroit...he has publicly said so several times. No way he comes here.

Harrison Loathed Baltimore.
Brainfarting on the name. But a former Dolphin Detested NE and then signed with them.

It's contrived. Your supposed to detest your rivals innards.

December 31st, 2013, 8:15 pm
League MVP

thelomasbrowns wrote:

yeah, um no thanks to michael floyd

December 31st, 2013, 8:46 pm
RIP Killer

HechePipe wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

If the Lions hire a coaching staff that can develop a wide receiver, I really want them to draft Mike Evans out of A&M if he's there at #10. 6'5", 225, He's no speed demon, but he's fast and physical. Normally, a first round wr has bust written all over him around here, but two big physical WRs and a speedy slot guy and Bush out of the backfield sounds really nice.
I think it's cheaper on the cap to draft that #2 than to pay for him on the market. I guess I'd be putting my FA money into the defense and C. If Dom comes back for another year, draft a project C this year to groom when he leaves.

I have no interest in Mike Evans. He's got an real attitude problem, if you ask me. And I could foresee him making the same bonehead statement that Titus did ('I'm better than Calvin'). Please, no more headcases or divas at WR. I like his size and his physical play, but I don't like his mentality.

January 1st, 2014, 6:45 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

m2karateman wrote:
HechePipe wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

I have no interest in Mike Evans. He's got an real attitude problem, if you ask me. And I could foresee him making the same bonehead statement that Titus did ('I'm better than Calvin'). Please, no more headcases or divas at WR. I like his size and his physical play, but I don't like his mentality.

ESPN wrote:
... Evans enjoyed two 1,000-yard receiving seasons. He has 147 career catches for 2,427 yards and 17 touchdowns in his two-year career. And he's done it without saying much.

"He doesn't talk a whole lot," receivers coach David Beaty said. "I'll tell you this: When he gets fired up, he gets fired up. He's a tough kid, and he demands a lot from people around him. He will not stand for people [who] are not success people. If you're a mediocre guy, he's not a fan. You have to be a high-achieving guy."

Beaty called Evans "humble" and "coachable."

"I'll tell you what, you won't find a more humble guy," Beaty said. "And he allows me to coach him, and sometimes that doesn't happen. Sometimes guys push [back]. But Mike's one of those guys that will come up to me, just out of the blue, randomly and say 'Coach, I need you to stay on me. I need to get better than what I am today' and that's refreshing."

Eh?

January 1st, 2014, 6:50 pm
RIP Killer

HechePipe wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
HechePipe wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

ESPN wrote:
... Evans enjoyed two 1,000-yard receiving seasons. He has 147 career catches for 2,427 yards and 17 touchdowns in his two-year career. And he's done it without saying much.

"He doesn't talk a whole lot," receivers coach David Beaty said. "I'll tell you this: When he gets fired up, he gets fired up. He's a tough kid, and he demands a lot from people around him. He will not stand for people [who] are not success people. If you're a mediocre guy, he's not a fan. You have to be a high-achieving guy."

"I'll tell you what, you won't find a more humble guy," Beaty said. "And he allows me to coach him, and sometimes that doesn't happen. Sometimes guys push [back]. But Mike's one of those guys that will come up to me, just out of the blue, randomly and say 'Coach, I need you to stay on me. I need to get better than what I am today' and that's refreshing."

Eh?

It is the job of the coaching staff at his college to talk him up. I've watched some games and the cameras have shown him on the side lines, and he didn't seem so damn humble to me. I've seen him walk away from coaches who were talking to him, as well as other players. Last night he pulled a boneheaded play that hurt his team, and some time later was trying to walk away from Manziel while he was trying to talk to him. Seems to me he's a Dez Bryant. "I'm better than you, and I want you to be as good as me. If you aren't, I'm going to badger you about it." That's Bryant. Mike Evans may not be that bad, but he just doesn't seem like the type of player who would be a good fit.

Besides which, I'd rather have a speed guy. Calvin has lost a step or two, and the Lions can use a guy who forces the opposing defenses to be concerned with that deep strike threat.

January 1st, 2014, 9:46 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

m2karateman wrote:
HechePipe wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
HechePipe wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

ESPN wrote:

Eh?

It is the job of the coaching staff at his college to talk him up. I've watched some games and the cameras have shown him on the side lines, and he didn't seem so damn humble to me. I've seen him walk away from coaches who were talking to him, as well as other players. Last night he pulled a boneheaded play that hurt his team, and some time later was trying to walk away from Manziel while he was trying to talk to him. Seems to me he's a Dez Bryant. "I'm better than you, and I want you to be as good as me. If you aren't, I'm going to badger you about it." That's Bryant. Mike Evans may not be that bad, but he just doesn't seem like the type of player who would be a good fit.

Besides which, I'd rather have a speed guy. Calvin has lost a step or two, and the Lions can use a guy who forces the opposing defenses to be concerned with that deep strike threat.

Fair enough. Clearly you were on that sideline listening to what was said. None of he scouting reports on him have said anything at all about his attitude. Whichever team gets him is going to have a monster WR if he can be polished just a little more than he currently is. Lots of jump balls, but he needs to run smoother routes. I think he'll be very good #2, maybe even a #1 for a lot of teams on day 1, just because of his physicality. And I think you put your speed into the slot and TE positions... As fast as a TE could be and still effectively block. But hey, I'm not the coach. It's just what I would do as GM.

January 1st, 2014, 10:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next