View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 21st, 2014, 2:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Free Agent Possibilities 
Player of the Year - Offense

Post Re: Free Agents
Jones is a returner, not a #2. He's not a great route runner and he made splash plays once in a blue moon on offense. He didn't make it in Houston and besides his return skills, he wouldn't be a mainstay in Baltimore either.

January 16th, 2014, 1:24 pm
RIP Killer

LionHawk66 wrote:
Any thoughts on FAs you would like to see come to Detroit? What's the cap space like? I personally would like to see Jacoby Jones. Great number 2 so Calvin can do his thing plus punt/kick returner and he will know Jim Caldwells system. Great fit! Thoughts?

We have roughly $131,568,965 in allocated cap money for 2014 (51 players). In December, the league told teams to expect a 2.68% increase in the cap to $126.3M but won't be able to verify that number until late Feb at the earliest. The biggest cap hit is Suh at $22.412M, but that will have to be renegotiated as he gets extended (Staff is 2nd at $15.8M).

The number I've heard is we are a little over $4.6M over the cap this year, my rudimentary calcs has it a bit above $5M so let's estimate it about there right now.

As for Jones, I agree with njroar in that he wouldn't be the answer. I'd be interested in seeing if Caldwell has any plans to reunite with Boldin (they had pretty good success together in Baltimore in the run to the SB). He lacks the speed of some other FAs (Maclin, Heyward-Bey, Emmanuel Sanders, Nicks, Ginn, Hester, etc.) that could be used to stretch the field opposite of CJ.

January 16th, 2014, 1:48 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Can we merge this into other free agents thread?

January 16th, 2014, 2:19 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Baton Girl

Jones fills two positions and he can make plays. We need another deep threat and the transition would be close to seamless. Anquan Boldin is a great passion receiver but we need someone to take some pressure off CJ. He would be a great pick up then Ol' Nate has to go. To me they're one in the same "Boldin/Burleson"

Our friends will be drinking all our beer

January 16th, 2014, 3:50 pm
Baton Girl

I see the other post now sorry

January 16th, 2014, 6:20 pm
Team MVP

LionHawk66 wrote:
Jones fills two positions and he can make plays. We need another deep threat and the transition would be close to seamless. Anquan Boldin is a great passion receiver but we need someone to take some pressure off CJ. He would be a great pick up then Ol' Nate has to go. To me they're one in the same "Boldin/Burleson"

Needing another deep threat is old news, but we need someone who is more than just fast. We need an ACTUAL receiver to be that #2. Calvin isnt gonna last forever and any time he goes down we need someone to step up or else its obvious this offense suffers. Jones isnt that guy in my opinion.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 16th, 2014, 6:29 pm
Baton Girl

True but unfortunately a receiver like that is gonna cost to much. I just hate to see us draft another WR high in the draft. We have to many other areas of need to fill. Caldwell is probable going to want to bring some of his own guys to town.

January 16th, 2014, 7:40 pm
Team MVP

LionHawk66 wrote:
True but unfortunately a receiver like that is gonna cost to much. I just hate to see us draft another WR high in the draft. We have to many other areas of need to fill. Caldwell is probable going to want to bring some of his own guys to town.

You think a WR2 ISNT a big need? I see CB, SLB, TE, and WR as our biggest needs.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 16th, 2014, 7:48 pm
Baton Girl

It is but look at our track record on receivers. CJ is the only one we hit on. Either there Lazy, Crazy, Injury Prone or a flat out BUST. I don't think the top 2 WRs will be there at 10. That leaves SLB or CB. Lions Credo best player available.

January 16th, 2014, 8:19 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

LionHawk66 wrote:
It is but look at our track record on receivers. CJ is the only one we hit on. Either there Lazy, Crazy, Injury Prone or a flat out BUST. I don't think the top 2 WRs will be there at 10. That leaves SLB or CB. Lions Credo best player available.

Well, I see 3 QBs, 2 OTs, and 2 LBs that easily fill up 7/9 of the first 9 picks. Sammy Watkins will be off the board most likely, but there is more than one top-10 receiver in this draft. If you're going to draft in the top 10 (barely), draft a playmaker. Mike Evans will probably be there.
If those 3 QBs don't go top ten, then Detroit's #10 pick becomes really valuable. The #10 pick is actually a really good pick to have if you want to trade down. Moving up to #10 won't cost the world, but it might be worth the Lions getting more picks and possibly still getting a top flight WR.

January 16th, 2014, 8:43 pm
Baton Girl

If Ands and Buts Were Candy and Nuts, Everyday Would Be Christmas. Its a long time till the draft. A lot can happen but I say 2 WRs only because of St Luois is kind of a wild card. There set at QB, DE, OT. So Wr could be the pick there. I personally want to see us drop out of the top 10 if we cant get Watkins.

January 16th, 2014, 9:24 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

The Lions can't afford to get a levit veteran #2 WR and expect to keep a team that is competitive past the next season. The best case scenario is if the Lions prayers to the football gods were answered and Watkins fell to #10. I highly doubt that happens and if it doesn't I'd welcome a trade back to get Jordan Matthews (my favorite prospect behind Watkins) or hope he was there in the 2nd round. He doesn't have the elite speed but he does have good speed and nice burst off the line. What I really like about him is he is already a good route runner and can get separation with his strength and that ability to run crisp routes. The way he plays reminds me of Irvin and Carter and how they found ways to get open. As far as FA WRs I think they have to look at cheaper guys that will be more of a #3 like LaFell or Ginn from Carolina.

January 16th, 2014, 9:45 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

LionHawk66 wrote:
If Ands and Buts Were Candy and Nuts, Everyday Would Be Christmas. Its a long time till the draft. A lot can happen but I say 2 WRs only because of St Luois is kind of a wild card. There set at QB, DE, OT. So Wr could be the pick there. I personally want to see us drop out of the top 10 if we cant get Watkins.

Some mock drafts don't even have a receiver being drafted until #17, so we'll just see. One thing is for sure, those top 3 QBs should be taken before #10 and so will at least 2 OTs, which shouldn't affect the Lions' draft at all. Plus, Clowney is considered to be a top 5 talent. That leaves 3 picks ahead of the Lions that could potentially target Watkins. Nobody knows what will happen in the draft, but I think it's common sense that the top QBs and OTs will get picked before #10.
Watkins or Evans are a real possibility for the Lions. If either player lives up the the draft position, the Lions are set on offense for a very long time.

January 16th, 2014, 9:46 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Free Agent Possibilities
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2014/01/detroit_lions_begin_talking_ne.html

Lions and Suh starting to talk about a long term deal. Article mentions Geno Atkins got 5 years $55M, so Suh would have to top that. I think it'll also depend on what Henry Melton gets on the market (yes he was injured and arrested this year but he's 26 or 27 and a really good DT) I'm guessing it'd probably have to be about $12M per year so something like a 7 year 80-84M deal just based on the market and his rookie contract. Hopefully we can get him a little cheaper overall, but if we can cut that cap number of 22.5M in half this season it'll give us some space to play with free agents.

Question with Atkins deal is, how much bonus money, how much guaranteed and how much was backloaded?

If they give Suh a 6 year, $68M deal, with a signing bonus of around $24M, then they could structure the deal so that he could have a cap hit of around $9M in 2014 ($5M salary with $4M prorated bonus). Figure salaries of $5.5M in 2015, $6.5M in 2017, $7.75M in 2018, $8.75M in 2019 and $10.5M in 2020. I think that's a fair deal. That would average slightly more than Atkins', but it's longer and may have a bigger paycheck up front.

January 16th, 2014, 10:28 pm
RIP Killer

I believe that what the Lions do in FA is going to have a big impact on what they do with their first pick in the draft. I'd take Anquan Boldin over Jacoby Jones all day long. Boldin is a RECEIVER. Jones is a return may who is put into the receiver role from time to time. Big difference.

With Boldin you know that if a team decides they will double up on Calvin, he's going to HURT them. That is, provided Stafford can throw him the ball on target. And if Calvin were to go down to injury, Boldin can step in as the #1 receiver and hold his own as well as anyone.

Getting rid of Burleson would be foolish. I'd hold onto him until after the draft, at least. If the Lions were to land Sammy Watkins, then his days would likely be numbered. But as I've said before, having depth at receiver is something this team NEEDS. Beyond Calvin we got nothing. If we punch Nate's ticket after signing a FA like Boldin, there is no guarantee we'll land Watkins, or any other top receiver in the draft. And then guess what? Burleson is gone, and if either DJ or Boldin go down to injury, our second receiver is Kris Durham (if he's still on the roster). Is that what you want?

Burleson being the team guy that he is, I think he'd accept a slot receiver role and flourish in it for a year or two. And if the Lions were to draft Watkins or another speed receiver, Burleson would be a great tutor for him.

Jeremy Ross is our return man, and I'll take him over Jacoby Jones. Less salary, just as good a return man.

As for CB...there isn't one worth the 10th pick that I can see. If the Lions were to trade down, I like Justin Gilbert or Dennard. But not until after pick 16 or so. I don't think two receivers will go top ten, and I definitely don't think a CB will go in the top ten.

January 16th, 2014, 10:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next