View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 10:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 OH GOD NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
Hall of Fame Player

Post OH GOD NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think his statement about SOL started a ball rolling that helped sabotage this season. I lost any respect I have for Dungy because of that statement.

Quote:
Former Super Bowl winning head coach Tony Dungy said the Detroit Lions head coaching vacancy is "the best job out there"

Former NFL coach Tony Dungy, who won a Super Bowl with the Indianapolis Colts, isn't planning on coming out of retirement, but if he did, he says the Detroit Lions' current head coaching vacancy would be the one he would want.

"I will tell you this, Dan, I think the best job out there is the Detroit Lions," Dungy told Dan Patrick in an interview on The Dan Patrick Show Friday.

"That's the job I would want. I think they are the closest to the Super Bowl."

Dungy is currently an analyst for NBC's Football Night in America. He told Patrick that some teams have contacted him to advise them on their coaching search. He did not say if Detroit was one of those teams.

Lions team president Tom Lewand said Monday, after announcing the team had parted ways with head coach Jim Schwartz, the Lions job was the single most attractive on the market. Lewand pointed to a roster ready to win now with names like Matthew Stafford, Calvin Johnson, Reggie Bush, Ndamukong Suh, Nick Fairley and others.

Dungy couldn't have agreed more when talking to Patrick.

"You look for a franchise quarterback in this day and age, you want to have a passing game because this game is all about passing, and you want people who can rush the passer and protect the lead," he said. "Detroit's got all that.

"Now you throw in two really good tight ends, a couple running backs who can make things happen. They've got everything they need."

Minus the head coach, of course, but that could change soon enough.

The Lions interviewed Baltimore offensive coordinator Jim Caldwell for the position Friday and are expected to contact assistant coaches on playoff teams next week -- when they're allowed to do so per NFL rules -- with San Diego offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt at the top of that list.

The Minnesota Vikings, Washington Redskins and Cleveland Browns are also currently looking for head coaches.

"And you've got an owner (in Detroit) who doesn't meddle," Dungy said. "He's not going to come in and tell you, 'Play this guy, cut this guy, draft this guy.' It's a perfect situation. If I was ever coming back, it would be for that job."

January 3rd, 2014, 6:36 pm
Junior Varsity

Post Re: OH GOD NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't know why so many people are calling for Dungy to be the next HC. All I remember about him is he was the coach of a talented Tampa Bay team that couldn't get over the hump until they hired Gruden.

January 3rd, 2014, 8:03 pm
RIP Killer

Wackadoo wrote:
I don't know why so many people are calling for Dungy to be the next HC. All I remember about him is he was the coach of a talented Tampa Bay team that couldn't get over the hump until they hired Gruden.

Dungy put that team together. Gruden just had all the dominoes fall into the right places for him that year. Dungy was extremely successful during his time in the NFL as a head coach. You can't take that away from him.

However, I would prefer that he not be the Lions next head coach. I think at this point he's been out of the game a little too long, and the adjustment period for him would be a little too much.

January 3rd, 2014, 10:07 pm
Heisman Winner

I'm not that high on Dungy myself, but if he brings Tom Moore with him.. I might think differently.

Dungy at Tampa was good, but it was Indy that pumped up his resume.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/c ... ungTo0.htm

Didn't he spend all that time in Tampa trying to win with Shaun King?

January 3rd, 2014, 10:29 pm
League MVP

m2karateman wrote:
Wackadoo wrote:

Dungy put that team together. Gruden just had all the dominoes fall into the right places for him that year. Dungy was extremely successful during his time in the NFL as a head coach. You can't take that away from him.

However, I would prefer that he not be the Lions next head coach. I think at this point he's been out of the game a little too long, and the adjustment period for him would be a little too much.

I disagree about the "been away from the game" too long. The Lions need Dungy's leadership and in game executive decisions moreso than his x's and o's and I dont think those things disappear in 5-6 years anyway. Dungy would have no problem filling out a great coaching staff, he s one of the most well respected men in football.

January 3rd, 2014, 11:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]