View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 5:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Ken Wisenhunt the new HC..... 
NFL Veteran

Post Re: Ken Wisenhunt the new HC.....
TheRealWags wrote:
rao wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
More fuel to fire...I've been reading/hearing Xanders is interviewing for the Dolphins GM position... ](*,)

EDIT:
Quote:
Dolphins add Brian Xanders to G.M. search list

Posted by Darin Gantt on January 14, 2014, 9:40 AM EST
Brian Xanders
AP
The Dolphins continue to add candidates to their deliberate search for a General Manager, and have found a guy who has held the job before.

According to Chris Mortensen of ESPN, former Broncos G.M. Brian Xanders will meet with the Dolphins about their vacancy.

Xanders worked for the Lions as a senior personnel director, after he was fired by the Broncos in 2012. He was the odd man out when John Elway took over as El Jefe there, and the parting was portrayed as mutual.

Xanders also worked for the Falcons for 14 years prior to joining the Broncos.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... arch-list/

The systems he was putting in place should all be set and as long as he wasn't the guy actually picking the players(no reason to think he was) Mayhew should be able to continue without him.
Mayhew mentioned he was instrumental in signing UDFAs...Waddel & Fauria...not good IMO. Its a shame the Fords won't clean house........ ](*,)

He could have been referring to the fact that Xanders system identified them. Xanders job from the very beginning was to help the staff make sense of the scouting info they already had and create a more organized system to sort through the data in house. The real question will be does Xanders system need him there running it to continue to work or is it so well organized the next guy up can pick up where he left off.

January 14th, 2014, 12:23 pm
Modmin Dude

rao wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
rao wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
More fuel to fire...I've been reading/hearing Xanders is interviewing for the Dolphins GM position... ](*,)

EDIT:
Quote:

Brian Xanders
AP
The Dolphins continue to add candidates to their deliberate search for a General Manager, and have found a guy who has held the job before.

According to Chris Mortensen of ESPN, former Broncos G.M. Brian Xanders will meet with the Dolphins about their vacancy.

Xanders worked for the Lions as a senior personnel director, after he was fired by the Broncos in 2012. He was the odd man out when John Elway took over as El Jefe there, and the parting was portrayed as mutual.

The systems he was putting in place should all be set and as long as he wasn't the guy actually picking the players(no reason to think he was) Mayhew should be able to continue without him.
Mayhew mentioned he was instrumental in signing UDFAs...Waddel & Fauria...not good IMO. Its a shame the Fords won't clean house........ ](*,)

He could have been referring to the fact that Xanders system identified them. Xanders job from the very beginning was to help the staff make sense of the scouting info they already had and create a more organized system to sort through the data in house. The real question will be does Xanders system need him there running it to continue to work or is it so well organized the next guy up can pick up where he left off.
FWIW:
Quote:
ALLEN PARK -- For those eager to credit or blame new Detroit Lions senior personnel executive Brian Xanders for the team's draft class, you may be disappointed.

Xanders, the former Denver Broncos general manger, was hired by the Lions in January. One of his first responsibilities was to develop an internal scouting database to help the team better process information during the draft.

According to general manager Martin Mayhew, the database was helpful, but had little impact on the players Detroit selected.

"The information flow was faster," Mayhew said. "We've got some output from our new system where we're able to consolidate a lot of information, which was very helpful. I don't think that that made a huge difference in terms of who we picked, but it certainly helped us to get information a little bit quicker."

Xanders had a bigger impact in the moments after the draft, as the Lions scrambled to sign targeted prospects who went undrafted.

"We changed the process up this year a little bit," Mayhew said. "We got some input from Brian from things that they had done in Denver and we changed it up a little bit and we'll see how it goes."

Mayhew declined to elaborate on the specific changes.

Although the Lions have yet to release an official list of undrafted free agent signings, reports indicate as many as a dozen prospects have agreed to terms, led by 6-foot-7 tight end Joesph Fauria, who caught 12 touchdowns for UCLA in 2012.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... _bria.html
Thinking I would rather have Xanders than Mayhew..........

January 14th, 2014, 12:39 pm
NFL Veteran

TheRealWags wrote:
rao wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
rao wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:

EDIT:
Quote:

Brian Xanders
AP

FWIW:
Quote:
ALLEN PARK -- For those eager to credit or blame new Detroit Lions senior personnel executive Brian Xanders for the team's draft class, you may be disappointed.

Xanders, the former Denver Broncos general manger, was hired by the Lions in January. One of his first responsibilities was to develop an internal scouting database to help the team better process information during the draft.

According to general manager Martin Mayhew, the database was helpful, but had little impact on the players Detroit selected.

"The information flow was faster," Mayhew said. "We've got some output from our new system where we're able to consolidate a lot of information, which was very helpful. I don't think that that made a huge difference in terms of who we picked, but it certainly helped us to get information a little bit quicker."

Xanders had a bigger impact in the moments after the draft, as the Lions scrambled to sign targeted prospects who went undrafted.

"We changed the process up this year a little bit," Mayhew said. "We got some input from Brian from things that they had done in Denver and we changed it up a little bit and we'll see how it goes."

Mayhew declined to elaborate on the specific changes.

Although the Lions have yet to release an official list of undrafted free agent signings, reports indicate as many as a dozen prospects have agreed to terms, led by 6-foot-7 tight end Joesph Fauria, who caught 12 touchdowns for UCLA in 2012.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... _bria.html
Thinking I would rather have Xanders than Mayhew..........

Again that is as vague a statement as you can get as in what way he had a big impact. In previous years the only UDFAs you would see them really look at were local and this year it was different. It's very likely Xanders bigger impact was that his system gave them the ability to sort through a wider range of UDFAa after the draft than their previous system did before. The speed at which they are able to identify and sort through the trash seems to have increased exponentially and Xanders deserves a lot of credit for that, but it does not mean he was the guy pointing out the prospects they signed.

January 14th, 2014, 12:53 pm
Pop Warner Vet

sweetd20 wrote:
I actually like the idea of Munchak over Caldwell but I fear his laws might be too much of a culture shock in Detroit. I know the player in Tennesee for the most part liked Munchak but they weren't coming from a Google office type of atmosphere either. Munchak has strict rules and those supersede everything even play on the field. A player can be hands down the best on the field but mess up and use a cell phone in the locker room and you will be sitting on the bench. It's what the Lions need but it might be too much of an extreme to get the players to buy in.

I like a little more because his young OC Dowelling Loggains intrigues me with what he might be able to do with Detroit. His philosophy this past season as to speed up the offense by keeping things simple especially in the passing game. From all account the players especially the receivers loved it and were impressed with Loggains. He stressed the receiver run their routes as designed and not try to out think the room and for the QB to throw to the spot. It's actually pretty similar to what Martz use to teach. Martz groomed a lot of QBs into pretty capable NFL caliber material and his biggest thing was that the QB was to throw a ball to the called upon spot and it was the receiver's responsibility to get to that spot on time and make the catch.

No matter which candidate they end up choosing I wouldn't mind seeing Cam Cameron brought in to work with Stafford whether it be as the OC, an assistant, or as the QB coach. He has a nice history of developing NFL QBs and that is what Detroit needs just about more than anything.

I feel the same, the popular pick is seldom the best choice. As far as Caldwell goes, we can't forget all those years of Peyton Manning breaking records just because the team collapsed when he was injured. I already kind of liked Munchak but after reading this, I am almost ready to make him my fav - someone who was willing to be fired to stick to what he felt was the right decision?
Interesting info about Loggains.

January 14th, 2014, 1:12 pm
RIP Killer

sweetd20 wrote:
As far as an earlier comment made bt M2 about Flacco having a better season than Stafford this year really? So 59% completion rate and 19/22 TDs to INTs is a better season? Caldwell has done nothing that gets me excited when thinking about what might be with him as the HC. If he is the guy I hope I'm proven wrong but I was not a fan of any of the recent hires when they were announced and you can see where the Lions still are. A big problem people have with Dtafford is his "ah shucks" attitude, well I get that same sort of vibe from Caldwell.

Let's see...one QB got his team to a better record than the Lions, and his team went 5-3 in the second half of the season. Matt Stafford sh!t the bed the second half of the season and ensured that the Lions wouldn't win the division title or make it into the playoffs. And in that second half stretch the Ravens beat three teams the Lions could NOT beat, and then went ahead and beat the Lions.

Yes...I think Flacco had a better season. I could care less about passing yards, or TD to INT ration. Stafford is the one who phucked up the season on the field while Schwartz blew him at every opportunity, afraid to hurt Mattie's feelings.

Flacco got sacked 48 times this season. His offensive line isn't that great, and neither are his receivers. He didn't have a banner year, I'll give you that. I watched some Ravens games, and I wasn't impressed with him. However, he certainly didn't throw games away like Stafford did. Like it or not, Flacco at least didn't fold down the stretch.

January 14th, 2014, 1:31 pm
QB Coach

To bring this back to Wisenhunt:

I'm seeing reports the Titans offered $1 million more than Detroit, and also gave hime more control (or at least the promise of more control) than he would have in Detroit. Things like more input on draft picks, the option to change to the 3-4, etc. I've also seen a report that his contract with Tennessee is longer than normal and is fully guaranteed. So it may just be that Tennessee paid way over the market price for him.

I thought that was interesting...

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

January 14th, 2014, 6:47 pm
Modmin Dude

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
To bring this back to Wisenhunt:

I'm seeing reports the Titans offered $1 million more than Detroit, and also gave hime more control (or at least the promise of more control) than he would have in Detroit. Things like more input on draft picks, the option to change to the 3-4, etc. I've also seen a report that his contract with Tennessee is longer than normal and is fully guaranteed. So it may just be that Tennessee paid way over the market price for him.

I thought that was interesting...
I saw reports where Detroit didn't offer him anything. Apparently the plan was to have the final 2 candidate meet w/WCF, then decide.

Could it be damage control? Yup.

January 15th, 2014, 9:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3