View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 10:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Ken Wisenhunt the new HC..... 
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Re: Ken Wisenhunt the new HC.....
m2karateman wrote:
Wow. I really wanted Whisenhunt, but perhaps his interview with the Lions front office didn't go too well, which should be telling. The Lions should have had made a better offer, or done more to get him if he was their guy. And to judge Whisenhunt on one game is kind of foolish, don't you think? It's not like San Diego has a wealth of talent there, particularly their offensive line. They got into the playoffs, and their offense came to play in the second half of the season instead of crapping the bed.

As for Caldwell, he doesn't thrill me, but I don't think he's a bad guy either. Ravens won the SB last season, and their offense had something to do with that. You can't blame Caldwell for the organization letting Boldin go in FA. His loss was more telling than what some may admit to. Flacco doesn't have the raw skills some other QBs do, but he sure played a damn sight better than Stafford did this season. He's not the gunslinger, he's the game manager who can throw a deep ball. Different type of player.

Still, I think Whisenhunt going to Tennessee instead of Detroit should be very telling on just how real coaching talent feels about working in Detroit. The roster may have talent, but I guess they don't think the front office or ownership does.

The Lions fan in me wants to abandon all hope. But to play devil's advocate:

O'Brien: Texans got an early jump on things by firing Kubiak mid-season. O'Brien wanted out from Penn State.
Lovie: Got veto power over personnel in Tampa. Not sure many orgs would give him that.
Gruden: Not clear if he was ever a serious candidate.
Whiz: Reportedly wanted the 3-4, liked the easier division of the Titans, and Tenn. threw a boatload of money at him.

I have to say, though: today was the first time it occurred to me that things might get worse than they were with Schwartz. Let's hope things work out.

January 13th, 2014, 11:45 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Why did Ken Whisenhunt pick Titans over Lions?

By Sean Yuille @SeanYuille on Jan 13 2014, 10:39p 15
Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

Why did the Detroit Lions finish second in the Ken Whisenhunt sweepstakes? Here are some possible reasons.
Tweet (4) Share (5) Share 15 Comments

It's pretty amazing how quickly things can change. After the Detroit Lions fired Jim Schwartz two weeks ago, Ken Whisenhunt emerged as their top coaching candidate. He was viewed as the best fit for the job, and by all accounts, Whisenhunt viewed the Lions as the best fit for him.

Fast forward to Monday night and it's clear that only half of that was true. The Lions clearly had Whisenhunt at the top of their list considering they had a plane ready to go to San Diego to pick him up, but they were not at the top of his list. Whisenhunt instead decided to accept the Tennessee Titans' head coaching job, leaving Lions fans stunned and forcing the team to go to their backup plan.

So why exactly did Whisenhunt pick the Titans over the Lions? Despite the fact that the Lions seemingly have more talent on paper, it seems there were some philosophical differences on the defensive side of the ball.

Switching to a 3-4 simply doesn't make sense for the Lions, so it's no surprise that they were so adamant about sticking with a 4-3 setup. As for the location angle, it's worth nothing that Whisenhunt spent a couple years in Nashville as a Vanderbilt assistant in the 90s, so that may have played a factor in his decision as well.

The strength of the NFC North also apparently played a factor in Whisenhunt's decision to take the Titans' job.

The NFC North was far from tough this year, but I suppose you can't count on Aaron Rodgers and Jay Cutler suffering injuries every season. Also, the Minnesota Vikings were recently a playoff team and could get a boost from their new head coach, and the NFC in general is a pretty tough conference. Then again, with Andrew Luck in place for the Indianapolis Colts, the Jacksonville Jaguars heading in a positive direction and Bill O'Brien leading the Houston Texans, the AFC South could very well be a difficult division in the future.

Whatever the case may be, it's clear that Whisenhunt wasn't comfortable with the idea of being head coach of the Lions. That's too bad considering the Lions had him pegged as their top choice, but now it's time to simply move on and find somebody else to lead this team.

January 14th, 2014, 12:05 am
RIP Killer

Given the information, I'm glad that the Lions didn't take Whisenhunt. I really don't trust a coach who can't work with the personnel they have, and are afraid of the competition level in the division they will be going in. I wanted Whisenhunt, but I didn't realize he was such a pussy.

You don't force a team to rebuild a defense. He could hire a DC to run the 4-3, since he's an offense guy anyways. And taking the Titans job because he feels the division is weak is pretty sad. Seems to me, he's afraid of challenges.

Guess he isn't the guy afterall. And maybe it's for the best.

January 14th, 2014, 12:10 am
Hall of Fame Player

DJ-B wrote:
Caldwell might be a good ppl person, and maybe he even can help Stafford, but with Whiz I knew what kind of offense wed get. With Caldwell, IMO his success or failure will primarily depend on the OC and DC he brings.

I kind of like the idea of Caldwell putting the Colts coaching staff back together in Detroit. Including, Special Consultant to Mathew Stafford, Tom Moore. See if Moore can transform Stafford into P. Manning over the next couple years.

January 14th, 2014, 1:21 am
Hall of Fame Player

sweetd20 wrote:
I think the Lions are going to end up making the classic mistake of going from one extreme to the other. That is to say they are going to go from a guy that's buddy buddy with the players to a dictator, instead of finding the right coach. With that said I think they are going to go with Munchak. If they go to that extreme they might end up with a Tampa Bay situation where the players basically boycotted Schiano out of town. I think the only thing worse might be if the Stoops rumor comes to fruition. I mean heck they have had so much success with all the Stoops players they have drafted, why not sign the coach as well. If it is Caldwell I really hope it isn't because Dungy the guy who said, "same old Lions" said he was the right coach. The same guy that named Caldwell as his successor and the Colts promptly dissolved into the worst team in the league when Manning was lost to injury.

Who played QB for the Colts the year Peyton was inactive? Can you even name the guy? I can't without looking it up. Nuff said.

January 14th, 2014, 1:24 am
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:
Given the information, I'm glad that the Lions didn't take Whisenhunt. I really don't trust a coach who can't work with the personnel they have, and are afraid of the competition level in the division they will be going in. I wanted Whisenhunt, but I didn't realize he was such a pussy.

You don't force a team to rebuild a defense. He could hire a DC to run the 4-3, since he's an offense guy anyways. And taking the Titans job because he feels the division is weak is pretty sad. Seems to me, he's afraid of challenges.

Guess he isn't the guy afterall. And maybe it's for the best.

Vince Lombardi was the Packers 3rd choice. And now the championship trophy is named after him. You just never know.

January 14th, 2014, 1:33 am

BillySims wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:
I think the Lions are going to end up making the classic mistake of going from one extreme to the other. That is to say they are going to go from a guy that's buddy buddy with the players to a dictator, instead of finding the right coach. With that said I think they are going to go with Munchak. If they go to that extreme they might end up with a Tampa Bay situation where the players basically boycotted Schiano out of town. I think the only thing worse might be if the Stoops rumor comes to fruition. I mean heck they have had so much success with all the Stoops players they have drafted, why not sign the coach as well. If it is Caldwell I really hope it isn't because Dungy the guy who said, "same old Lions" said he was the right coach. The same guy that named Caldwell as his successor and the Colts promptly dissolved into the worst team in the league when Manning was lost to injury.

Who played QB for the Colts the year Peyton was inactive? Can you even name the guy? I can't without looking it up. Nuff said.

I know one was the great Dan Orlovsky that so many fans said was good enough to be the Lions starter. I remember because my buddy is a Colts fan and when Peyton went down I joked with him about Orlovsky. I'm also pretty sure Painter got some play that season as well.

As far as an earlier comment made bt M2 about Flacco having a better season than Stafford this year really? So 59% completion rate and 19/22 TDs to INTs is a better season? Caldwell has done nothing that gets me excited when thinking about what might be with him as the HC. If he is the guy I hope I'm proven wrong but I was not a fan of any of the recent hires when they were announced and you can see where the Lions still are. A big problem people have with Dtafford is his "ah shucks" attitude, well I get that same sort of vibe from Caldwell.

January 14th, 2014, 8:03 am
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

I wonder if there are a few coaches suddenly interested in Motown. Maybe the phone will ring with a new candidate on the line?

January 14th, 2014, 8:07 am

I actually like the idea of Munchak over Caldwell but I fear his laws might be too much of a culture shock in Detroit. I know the player in Tennesee for the most part liked Munchak but they weren't coming from a Google office type of atmosphere either. Munchak has strict rules and those supersede everything even play on the field. A player can be hands down the best on the field but mess up and use a cell phone in the locker room and you will be sitting on the bench. It's what the Lions need but it might be too much of an extreme to get the players to buy in.

I like a little more because his young OC Dowelling Loggains intrigues me with what he might be able to do with Detroit. His philosophy this past season as to speed up the offense by keeping things simple especially in the passing game. From all account the players especially the receivers loved it and were impressed with Loggains. He stressed the receiver run their routes as designed and not try to out think the room and for the QB to throw to the spot. It's actually pretty similar to what Martz use to teach. Martz groomed a lot of QBs into pretty capable NFL caliber material and his biggest thing was that the QB was to throw a ball to the called upon spot and it was the receiver's responsibility to get to that spot on time and make the catch.

No matter which candidate they end up choosing I wouldn't mind seeing Cam Cameron brought in to work with Stafford whether it be as the OC, an assistant, or as the QB coach. He has a nice history of developing NFL QBs and that is what Detroit needs just about more than anything.

January 14th, 2014, 8:27 am
RIP Killer

I was OK, not thrilled, with Wisenhunt. Hummm, going with Jake Locker over Stafford at the QB spot is kind of telling.

As for the new Lions leading candidate. Yeah, lets take an offensive guru who couldn't even muster a single TD against the Lions defense in December, despite getting 3 gift INTs from Staff. Let's take the guy in charge of the 29th ranked offense in the league and you can't blame it on the QB going down for the season because that didn't happen (the Lions ranked 23 spots higher if you care). OK, they were a little better in scoring offense (25th LOL).

As for discipline, his offense drew the 6th most penalties (112) in the league (yes, even a couple of more than the undisciplined Lions). Does Caldwell really come across as a guy who can change a culture?

In a pretty telling stat I like on offense, total yards per play, he was in charge of the team that had the lowest average (32nd) in the league (the Lions ranked 8th).

THAT'S OUR GUY! Start the plane engine again boys, we might actually take off today unless you really want to go with another DC from Tenn to try to take our franchise QBs game to a new level (hey, at least his defense ranked middle of the pack even if Penn State didn't think you were good enough).

Thanks once again Ford family, celebrating 50 years of ineptitude!!!

January 14th, 2014, 10:34 am
Profile WWW
Player of the Year - Defense

Thanks for summing that up, Pablo.

January 14th, 2014, 10:49 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Blueskies wrote:
Thanks for summing that up, Pablo.

Yea, that was pretty good. If the Lions do nothing within the next day or two, we'll know that their waiting on play-offs to end to pursue other potentials.

January 14th, 2014, 10:59 am
Modmin Dude

More fuel to fire...I've been reading/hearing Xanders is interviewing for the Dolphins GM position... ](*,)

EDIT:
Quote:
Dolphins add Brian Xanders to G.M. search list

Posted by Darin Gantt on January 14, 2014, 9:40 AM EST
Brian Xanders
AP
The Dolphins continue to add candidates to their deliberate search for a General Manager, and have found a guy who has held the job before.

According to Chris Mortensen of ESPN, former Broncos G.M. Brian Xanders will meet with the Dolphins about their vacancy.

Xanders worked for the Lions as a senior personnel director, after he was fired by the Broncos in 2012. He was the odd man out when John Elway took over as El Jefe there, and the parting was portrayed as mutual.

Xanders also worked for the Falcons for 14 years prior to joining the Broncos.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... arch-list/

January 14th, 2014, 11:34 am
NFL Veteran

TheRealWags wrote:
More fuel to fire...I've been reading/hearing Xanders is interviewing for the Dolphins GM position... ](*,)

EDIT:
Quote:

Brian Xanders
AP
The Dolphins continue to add candidates to their deliberate search for a General Manager, and have found a guy who has held the job before.

According to Chris Mortensen of ESPN, former Broncos G.M. Brian Xanders will meet with the Dolphins about their vacancy.

Xanders worked for the Lions as a senior personnel director, after he was fired by the Broncos in 2012. He was the odd man out when John Elway took over as El Jefe there, and the parting was portrayed as mutual.

The systems he was putting in place should all be set and as long as he wasn't the guy actually picking the players(no reason to think he was) Mayhew should be able to continue without him.

January 14th, 2014, 11:39 am
Modmin Dude

rao wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:

EDIT:
Quote:

Brian Xanders
AP

The systems he was putting in place should all be set and as long as he wasn't the guy actually picking the players(no reason to think he was) Mayhew should be able to continue without him.
Mayhew mentioned he was instrumental in signing UDFAs...Waddel & Fauria...not good IMO. Its a shame the Fords won't clean house........ ](*,)

January 14th, 2014, 11:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next