View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 6:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Lions Hire Jim Caldwell as HC 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Lions Hire Jim Caldwell as HC
I don't know how much say he had in Indy or how much he will have in Detroit, but his draft classes were less than impressive. With that said I can only hope he proves me wrong and can straighten out this team.

January 14th, 2014, 3:09 pm

sweetd20 wrote:
I don't know how much say he had in Indy or how much he will have in Detroit, but his draft classes were less than impressive. With that said I can only hope he proves me wrong and can straighten out this team.

As far as I know, he didn't have any real say in who they took. Polian was a respected, established GM--I think he just got lazy having Manning around.

January 14th, 2014, 3:22 pm

Agree with M2k. Incredibly underwhelmed and Honestly don't see him as the guy who can "Control" this locker room. That said, his Coordinators will have to be very good for me not to consider this a likely failure, so we will see what type of team he assembles.

January 14th, 2014, 4:25 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

The lead candidates are Clyde Christensen (OC) and Teryl Austin (DC). A couple more "ehh" moves in my opinion, they both have nice resumes for what they have done but neither has been in charge of everything on their side of the ball.

January 14th, 2014, 4:37 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Bill Lazor is the new OC. He was Philly's QB coach this season and Washington and Seattle's in the past, as well as OC for Virginia few years back. He's interviewed around the league for OC positions as well.

January 14th, 2014, 5:29 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

ok more on Lazor.

Joined NFL with Falcons under Dan Reeves as quality control.

Joined Redskins with Joe Gibbs and was QB coach and offensive assistant.

Joined Seahawks under Holmgren and Mora Jr. Coached Hasslebeck.

Went to Virginia and raised them from 269 yards per game to 400 yards per game the next two seasons.

Returned to NFL last season as QB coach for Nick Foles and the Eagles.

January 14th, 2014, 5:45 pm
Modmin Dude

The old man released a statement...
Quote:
William Clay Ford: Jim Caldwell fit “specific plan and profile”
Posted by Josh Alper on January 14, 2014, 4:31 PM EST

The Lions settled on their new head coach on Tuesday, hiring Jim Caldwell to take over the job that opened when Jim Schwartz was fired after the end of the regular season.

The team announced that they will formally introduce Caldwell at a 4 p.m. ET press conference on Wednesday and team owner William Clay Ford released a statement about the hiring on Tuesday afternoon.

“On behalf on my entire family, I want to express how thrilled we are with the appointment of Jim Caldwell as our new head coach,” Ford said. “We believe Jim is the right man to lead our team and deliver a championship to our fans. I also want to commend [team president] Tom [Lewand] and [General Manager] Martin [Mayhew] on the thoroughness of the coaching search. We had a very specific plan and profile for our next head coach, and I am convinced that we found that man in Jim Caldwell.”

That specific profile is outlined on the team’s website, which highlights Caldwell’s experience as a head coach with a background on the offensive side of the ball. There are also references to the ringing endorsement of Caldwell given by Tony Dungy, who called Caldwell a “great match” for a team talented enough to go to the Super Bowl.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... d-profile/

January 14th, 2014, 6:04 pm
Modmin Dude

Said profile:
    He won two Super Bowl titles as an assistant head coach (Indianapolis) and offensive coordinator (Baltimore), respectively, and also coached Indianapolis Colts to a Super Bowl XLIV berth as a head coach during the 2009 season.

He holds a 26-22 (.542) regular-season record in three seasons as an NFL head coach, including two seasons with at least 10 wins.

An offensive-minded coach, Caldwell helped the Colts rank in top 10 in the NFL in total offense eight of his 10 seasons with the team. He helped Baltimore to a Super Bowl title last year as his playmaker.
http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions- ... 2c4e78ff5d

meh

January 14th, 2014, 6:06 pm
Junior Varsity

rao wrote:
You would think WCF would be trying a little harder to win. The guy will be like 89 this year, euthanasia may not even be an option in 2 years.

Hang on. He's a few years older than me. I may be too old to pick up college chicks, (okay, 30 is out as well), but I am not too old to run a football team.
I was going to come on and complain about the hire, but now I have to say, give the old timer a chance. If he can't come to attention, they have a pill for that.

January 14th, 2014, 6:07 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Actually I'm somewhat intrigued to see what he can do.with the offense. But even more excited to see what Teryl Austin does with the defense.

January 14th, 2014, 7:30 pm
QB Coach

I hate the Caldwell hire, it has me underwhelmed, but again I wasn't thrilled with any of the prospects. I would have tolerated Whisenhunt more than the others.

Now it's time to give it a chance and see what happens. I think our success in the next year or two will be despite Caldwell not because of him. I do like this Lazor as OC hire. If he can make Nick Foles look good he should be able to help Matt.

January 14th, 2014, 7:34 pm
Junior Varsity

Since most the posts are generally negative, that may signal a bit of a change. Most times everyone is excited about the new hire, only to be disappointed when the Lions hit the field. What the heck, if we start out disappointed, we have no where to go but up. Then again, that's pretty much it in a nutshell.

January 14th, 2014, 8:55 pm

Definitely warming up to this hire a bit. Seems to have a good, even temperament that demands respect. Pair that with some up and coming coordinators, and we could be onto something. Plus, he knows quarterbacks. I'm willing to give him a shot, though I'm the first to admit I'm not super thrilled.

January 14th, 2014, 10:28 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Bad hire - even in Indy he struck me as guy who was in over head. He never looked like he knew what he was doing on the sideline. So much so I never believed he was a serious candidate just a Rooney Rule interview. But I guess when the guy you wanted goes somewhere else and Tony Dungy is calling you on the phone begging you to hire his friend you listen.

All the 'experts' calling this a good hire will be picking the Lions to finish 3rd or 4th in the NFC North next year - so I really don't care what they have to say today.

January 14th, 2014, 10:45 pm
Veteran General Manager

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Definitely warming up to this hire a bit. Seems to have a good, even temperament that demands respect. Pair that with some up and coming coordinators, and we could be onto something. Plus, he knows quarterbacks. I'm willing to give him a shot, though I'm the first to admit I'm not super thrilled.

Exactly. He is everything everyone that was on the fire Schwartz bandwagon wanted. I think he's a far better fit for us than Wisenhunt. But, the fire Schwartz crowd gets what they want and they still hate the Lions for it. here's an idea. If you hate the Lions so darn much, FIND ANOTHER TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 14th, 2014, 11:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next