View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 7:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Lions Hire Jim Caldwell as HC 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Lions Hire Jim Caldwell as HC
Leo wrote:
Bad hire - even in Indy he struck me as guy who was in over head. He never looked like he knew what he was doing on the sideline. So much so I never believed he was a serious candidate just a Rooney Rule interview. But I guess when the guy you wanted goes somewhere else and Tony Dungy is calling you on the phone begging you to hire his friend you listen.

All the 'experts' calling this a good hire will be picking the Lions to finish 3rd or 4th in the NFC North next year - so I really don't care what they have to say today.

OK. It's time to put the lie to the idea that Wisenhunt was our 1st choice.

Yesterday, 2 full hours before Adam Schefter reported Wisenhunt accepted the Titans HC job, he reported on Sirius/XM NFL Radio that the Lions had been talking with Caldwell all day. Wisenhunt, " spurned " the Lions because the Lions weren't talking to him. We were talking with Caldwell. Caldwell is our 1st choice. Not, plan B.

Wisenhunt was just assumed to be our #1 by the media.

January 14th, 2014, 11:07 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Quote:

Yesterday, 2 full hours before Adam Schefter reported Wisenhunt accepted the Titans HC job, he reported on Sirius/XM NFL Radio that the Lions had been talking with Caldwell all day. Wisenhunt, " spurned " the Lions because the Lions weren't talking to him. We were talking with Caldwell. Caldwell is our 1st choice. Not, plan B.

Yeah - you keep tell yourself that.

January 14th, 2014, 11:37 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Leo wrote:
Quote:

Yeah - you keep tell yourself that.

I don't have to tell myself that, I know it for fact. While the whole world thought the lions would hire Wisenhunt, they were spending the whole day talking with Caldwell.

January 14th, 2014, 11:45 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Also, I don't have any ulterior motive for setting this straight either. I didn't want Schwartz fired. I wanted a new OC and QB coach and leave the rest of the staff in place.

January 14th, 2014, 11:51 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Yet also, it appears we will be changing the defense to a 3-4. So, that is a BS reason for Wisenhunt " Spurning " Detroit.

Fact is Wisenhunt took the Titans gig because he realized he wasn't getting the Detroit job.

January 14th, 2014, 11:55 pm
Div 1 - Starter

i think there were many factors into whis taking the titans job. obviously they offered more money but i think that there will be more patience with that team than with the team detroit has now. detroit has high expectations and there is gonna be pressure on the new coach to succeed sooner rather than later. i think whis believes he will have more time to build that team with his own guys than to win with the players detroit has now...

January 15th, 2014, 1:22 am
Div 1 - Starter

i might not mind this hiring if he brings the peyton manning no huddle offense with him but im not a big jim caldwell fan. 1 thing that really stands out in my mind about him was the blunder in the playoff game against the ravens when he called a time out at the end of the game allowing the ravens to have plenty of time to get the right play to get closer for a field goal and they ended up losing.

January 15th, 2014, 1:30 am
QB Coach

BillySims wrote:
Yet also, it appears we will be changing the defense to a 3-4. So, that is a BS reason for Wisenhunt " Spurning " Detroit.

Fact is Wisenhunt took the Titans gig because he realized he wasn't getting the Detroit job.

Where are you getting your information from? I'm asking seriously, because everything I'm seeing says that Detroit did indeed offer the Job to Wisenhunt, but Tennessee offered $1million more than Detroit did, and they agreed that he could change the scheme to the 3-4, while Detroit wanted him to stick with the 4-3. Perhaps what I'm seeing is wrong, and I'd like to know where your info is coming from.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

January 15th, 2014, 3:40 am
Hall of Fame Player

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Where are you getting your information from? I'm asking seriously, because everything I'm seeing says that Detroit did indeed offer the Job to Wisenhunt, but Tennessee offered $1million more than Detroit did, and they agreed that he could change the scheme to the 3-4, while Detroit wanted him to stick with the 4-3. Perhaps what I'm seeing is wrong, and I'd like to know where your info is coming from.

Sirius Adam NFL radio. I listened to the whole unfolding of events the last 2 days as they happened and got reported.

The switch to the 3-4 was mentioned as a strong possibility. They mentioned which players could play the different positions.

January 15th, 2014, 8:41 am
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

Not to be politically incorrect, which I really enjoy being, but the reason I don't like the guy is his age, he's pushing 60. Do old first time coaches ever work out in the NFL?

January 15th, 2014, 8:51 am
Player of the Year - Defense

He isn't a first time coach.

And there isn't a 3-4 coming:

Quote:
John Wooten, chairman of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, said Caldwell plans to bring Baltimore Ravens secondary coach Teryl Austin with him as defensive coordinator.

Austin, who’s still under contract in Baltimore, spent four seasons coaching defensive backs at Michigan and will keep the 4-3 defense the Lions have run the last five years under Jim Schwartz. The Ravens are expected to let Austin out of his contract.

http://www.freep.com/article/20140114/S ... well-staff

January 15th, 2014, 9:32 am
Rookie Player of the Year

I'm still just hoping there is a new strength and conditioning coach coming in with the new staff. I'm tired of the majority of the team looking small and soft compared to teams they are on the field with. Also don't be surprised if they run a defense like the Ravens, Jets, Cardinals, and Browns are running. They for the most part are listed as 3-4 teams but once they hit the field their defenses share 4-3 and 3-4 looks. If you just look at the Ravens, Suggs is a LB by name alone and is more often than not lined up on the line more like a traditional DE. This is my preferred style of defense because for the most part it gives offenses more to diagnose when figuring out where the pressure is going to come from.

I've was up late last night trying to find out about Lazor and I have to say I'm intrigued. From everything I've read so far I think you can expect to see a team that is going to be a run oriented offense that uses the passing game for big plays. So there could be a FB in the future and a drop to 30-35 pass attempts a game. I'm envisioning a mix between what the Cowboys were running in the '90s and a Gibbs style mixed with a little of what the Eagles ran this year.

January 15th, 2014, 9:55 am
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

Blueskies wrote:

He feels like one. His stint with the Colts after Dungy left seems more of an Assistant Head Coach filling in while he boss was away.

Still, that experience should have him better prepared for taking over the Lions. To quote an AD I once met, "When it comes to taking over as a coach, it's not what you know, or what you know you don't know, it's what you don't know you don't know."

That's sounds like Donald Rumsfeld, but it wasn't.

It's probably true for a lot of management.

And to get back to my point, in the last 20-25 years, have any 58 year old hires turned into successful NFL coaches?

January 15th, 2014, 11:35 am
Rookie Player of the Year

BillySims wrote:
Also, I don't have any ulterior motive for setting this straight either.

Birkett's version--he's seems to have been the best connected beat writer throughout the process:

Dave Birkett wrote:
ESPN reported Tuesday that Ken Whisenhunt, the Lions’ top choice for the job, chose the Tennessee Titans in part because Tennessee offered $1 million more per year than the Lions.

But the Lions never officially offered Whisenhunt their job.

The Lions intended to fly Whisenhunt from San Diego to Detroit by private plane on Monday so he could tour the team facilities and meet with ownership, but they made it clear no offer was forthcoming until that process was complete.

The flight was delayed several times, and eventually cancelled.
http://www.freep.com/article/20140114/S ... well-staff

January 15th, 2014, 11:44 am
QB Coach

TruckinMack wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

He feels like one. His stint with the Colts after Dungy left seems more of an Assistant Head Coach filling in while he boss was away.

Still, that experience should have him better prepared for taking over the Lions. To quote an AD I once met, "When it comes to taking over as a coach, it's not what you know, or what you know you don't know, it's what you don't know you don't know."

That's sounds like Donald Rumsfeld, but it wasn't.

It's probably true for a lot of management.

And to get back to my point, in the last 20-25 years, have any 58 year old hires turned into successful NFL coaches?

Well, here's a few that are current head coaches that are doing ok:

Bruce Arians (61) seems to have Arizona moving in the right direction, and he did well as a fill in head coach in Indy last year.
Trestman (58) in Chicago also seems to have them doing well, at least offensively.
John Fox was named head coach of Denver at 56 and they're kicking butt (Peyton Manning effect).
Tom Coughlin took over the Giants when he was 57 or 58 and has won a couple super bowls.

The bottom line is that if he's a good coach, his age doesn't really matter. Good coaches win at all age levels, and bad coaches lose at all age levels.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

January 15th, 2014, 12:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next