View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 21st, 2014, 5:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 The Detroit Lions, Jim Caldwell, being a fan, and the truth 
Pop Warner Vet

Post The Detroit Lions, Jim Caldwell, being a fan, and the truth
I was born in 1977. Since then, the Lions have compiled a dog poo record of 223-357. They have won the division three times. They have won a playoff game once. They have had 9 head coaches. Tommy Hudspeth, Monte Clark, Darryl Rogers, Wayne Fontes, Bobby Ross, Marty Mornhinweg, Steve Mariucci, Rod Marinelli, and Jim Schwartz. Not one of those coaches has been able to string together back to back 10 win seasons.

The Fords have owned the team since 1963.

Today they hired Jim Caldwell. I don't know whether Jim Caldwell is the next Tony Dungy, or the next Ray Rhodes.

I cannot, for the life of me, muster any reason to continue to invest energy of any sort into following the Lions, or care about the "prospect" of them turning it around. I certainly can't justify spending money on tickets or merchandise. So, I am officially off the bandwagon. Call me what you'd like. I don't care. I don't see the point in rooting for a franchise that frankly does not care if it loses, and epitomizes losing. So, I will root for no one.

When they win their second consecutive ten win season, or make the playoffs for a second year in a row, I'll be back. That's right. I WILL JUMP ON THE BANDWAGON OF A WINNING TEAM. Until then, I've done my time. Have a good life folks.

Detroit deserves better.

January 14th, 2014, 4:53 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Post Re: The Detroit Lions, Jim Caldwell, being a fan, and the tr
I think if there be any reporters that attend this fan forum, then this should be HIGHLIGHTED and somehow given to the Ford family. Not that they would care, but they should! Once again, they have proven that being a laughing stock of the NFL means nothing to them, after all they have a Motor Company that makes them more money.

I'm saddened as a fan, not because of the hire but because this organization doesn't appear to care enough about the very people who occupy the seats of the place that carries their name. The only way the Ford's are going to pay attention is if the fans organize and refuse to attend any Lions game, even via television. Start hitting them in the wallet, and you'll start to see the ownership start to care. I live in the shadow of Notre Dame, and this area is INSANELY Chicago fans, or Indy. I have not asked Indy fans what their thoughts are, but I'm afraid to ask Bears fans. I'm thinking we'll be a laughing stock for more years, or will continue in mediocrity. Much to the disgrace of the fans.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

January 14th, 2014, 8:07 pm
Player of the Year - Offense

I know Caldwell seems like a meh hire, but do you guys remember Baltimore last season before and after he took over the OC position from Cam Cameron? They were stagnant offensively and then turned it around once Caldwell took it over. No personnel changes, just a change in tempo and play calling. This year, their OL stunk, they couldn't get a running game going and were one dimensional. Pitta was gone the majority of the season and they still were a win away from the playoffs.

And when you talk to players... he's only low key on the field and in front of the media. He acts like a professional. In the locker room, he's passionate and gets the message across. And a Black coach on a majority black team is going to get something more out of the players with the respect factor. The players know it takes more effort for a minority coach to get hired. You might think it means nothing, but it does.

At least give it a few games before you write it off as a train wreck and failure.

January 15th, 2014, 1:10 am
All State

WarEr4Christ wrote:
I think if there be any reporters that attend this fan forum, then this should be HIGHLIGHTED and somehow given to the Ford family. Not that they would care, but they should! Once again, they have proven that being a laughing stock of the NFL means nothing to them, after all they have a Motor Company that makes them more money.

I'm saddened as a fan, not because of the hire but because this organization doesn't appear to care enough about the very people who occupy the seats of the place that carries their name. The only way the Ford's are going to pay attention is if the fans organize and refuse to attend any Lions game, even via television. Start hitting them in the wallet, and you'll start to see the ownership start to care. I live in the shadow of Notre Dame, and this area is INSANELY Chicago fans, or Indy. I have not asked Indy fans what their thoughts are, but I'm afraid to ask Bears fans. I'm thinking we'll be a laughing stock for more years, or will continue in mediocrity. Much to the disgrace of the fans.

I just noticed your location Warer, you're in Elkhart huh? I'm in Goshen, IN actually! Maybe we can get together at BW3s in Goshen sometime and swear at the Lions because misery loves company. :P I'll be there for the NFL draft I'm sure.

January 15th, 2014, 3:10 am
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

Born in 1977? Kids these days are so impatient.

January 15th, 2014, 8:34 am
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

DisgruntledFan wrote:
I just noticed your location Warer, you're in Elkhart huh? I'm in Goshen, IN actually! Maybe we can get together at BW3s in Goshen sometime and swear at the Lions because misery loves company. :P I'll be there for the NFL draft I'm sure.

Goshen has a deli downtown with the best meats and sandwiches. I think it was called Matterns. It makes me wish I lived closer.

January 15th, 2014, 8:42 am
QB Coach

Goshen has a lot of nice places on the surface, but there is an undertone to the town that sucks eggs. Think of it as the little town trying to be European in look, nature, thought and attitude. In some ways they are even un-American for what that's worth.

However, they are knit together pretty well, and do respond to helping people in large numbers of volunteers and financially if able. So it is what it is I guess.

Elkhart, is much more little Chicago. Not so much the crime, but more of the hideout when the heat is too high in the big city. But it's starting to come around in redoing downtown. More Bistro's and little restaurants, which is nice.

Again, life in the shado of the Golden dome, which is tough if you're a Michigan/Michigan State sports fan.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

January 15th, 2014, 10:53 am
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

WarEr4Christ wrote:
Again, life in the shado of the Golden dome, which is tough if you're a Michigan/Michigan State sports fan.

Huge Michigan State fan, but Army and Notre Dame are my #2 and #3. (Sadly, Army too often plays like #2. Go Army, beat somebody.)

January 15th, 2014, 1:47 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

jcmessing, I feel your pain. Been a fan since I was born (according to my parents) in 1959. Haven't really cared what the Lions do since the year they went 0-16. Not because they went 0-16, but because of what went down during that season and what happened after that. Look, Ford is the owner and as such he is ultimately responsible for how this team performs. With that said, it should be noted that Ford is a hands off owner that relies on his Front Office personnel to run the team. Or should I say ruin.

The problem, as I see it, is the FOG (Front Office Geniuses) make marketing based decisions that should be football based. Monte Clarke use to complain that Russ Thomas was interferring. Wayne Fontes seemed to change co-ordinators like shirts as fans demanded, and got, new schemes, tightends, fullbacks and free agent darling turned scumbag Scott Mitchell. We go from player coaches to disciplinarians and back again as fans 'see' the problem with the current head coach. Fans were giddy over a playoff apearance and cried out for Schwartz to be exended so we wouldn't lose such an awesome coach. Fans cried out for Stafford to be extended so we would not lose such an awesome quarterback. in two years Schwartz went from hero to bum and Stafford has played poorly for two seasons (yet he was extended only last off season). As fans, we know it all. We spend all of one game time hour watching this team each week of the season, focused almost exclusively on the ball and in that short period of time we know what management should do. Sadly, management listens. Our 'insights' are great on forums, but not necessarily for running a team.

Don't tell me they have to listen to the fans or fans won't support the team. Have you seen the stands over the last fifty years? The only time fans didn't show up was '88. Besides, to quote a movie line, "If you build it they will come." (it being a winning team even if you didn't listen to the fans in the process)

January 19th, 2014, 7:14 pm
QB Coach

Ok, I think I need to go on record here and say that I'm starting to warm up to the idea of Caldwell. Based upon my original response, I was and continue to be tired of a Lions team that is perpetually the laughing stock of the NFL. I'm embarrassed to wear a lions shirt, or sweatshirt in public, ESPECIALLY in Bears country. This year was the first year that I was OVERJOYED to do so, and then came the last half of our season.

For all of those beatings I took verbally from Bears fans, it was such sweet justice to have the Lions beat them twice in one year. But then the Lions fell on their own sword, kept spewing the same mediocrity about I / we just need to play better, and I watched a twice defeated Bears team vie for the Division Championship. WHAT!!!!

So when Caldwell was hired, I got that sick in the gut feeling like I did during the Millen meltdown. BUT, I have had the chance to review some of Caldwells statements, and heard from many about his character, and watched how he put his team of coaches together, especially keeping coaches that were already producing on our current team.

I'm interested to see where this will go, but I don't know how quick of a turn around it could possibly be. If we're that close, do I dare hope that it will be quicker than usual? Is that even a possibility? Time will tell.

January 21st, 2014, 12:20 pm
Modmin Dude

Like many, I was in favor of Whiz, then I started doing some research on Caldwell and noticed that he fit almost exactly what they said they were looking for. The more I read and hear about him, the more I like. So far he's seems to be saying a lot of the right things; time will tell whether or not he's the guy to lead this team into the playoffs. If they are truly in 'win now' mode, then we should know by Turkey Day if he was the right hire to accomplish that.

I'm sold. Let's do this.

Go Lions!!!
headbang.gif

January 21st, 2014, 1:10 pm
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
I'm sold. Let's do this.

Yes, he meets some of the check boxes. You have to wonder, however, if the Lions already had Whiz in mind when they developed those check boxes. You also have to remember the "honeymoon" phase has just begun. The Lions predictably went for the anti-Schwartz.

While Caldwell says the "right things", they way he says them is so uninspiring in a sport where being inspired matters. Perhaps he will evoke the "spirit" of Vince Lombardi or perhaps his grandson is enough to light a fire under these Lions.

It better start well or things could get ugly real fast like Caldwells 0-13 start in his last season in Indy. That said, if things do start well, I don't see Caldwell as being so arrogant that things collapse at the end because everyone gets so full of themselves.

Good luck Jim, we hope you do better than our last Jim...

January 21st, 2014, 2:49 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

From Tony Dungy to former players all singing the praise of this man, I'm comfortable with "Actions speaking louder than words."

Because if we followed the pathway of the words spoken last season, I can't count how many times we had to listen to Schwartz say they needed to play better, or we just didn't execute, or this or that; only to be followed up the following week with more of the same. In the space of one week, you get thumped by a team you should have dismantled, and you don't spend that week beating it into the players on how good they had better play the next week? Seriously?

It's almost as if beating Chicago twice, and Green Bay on Turkey Day was our Superbowl, season's over, we're going to Dizzyland, what? What's that? We still have another quarter season of football to play? Aw shoot! Now what do we do?

January 21st, 2014, 5:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]