View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 1st, 2014, 10:43 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Mayhew... Tony Dungy says you should jump off a bridge 
Towel Boy

Post Mayhew... Tony Dungy says you should jump off a bridge
:cry: :cry:
Horrible hire.

January 15th, 2014, 3:49 pm
Team MVP

Post Re: Mayhew... Tony Dungy says you should jump off a bridge
Horrible first post.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 15th, 2014, 4:58 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

10/10

would read again

January 15th, 2014, 5:33 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Beer wrote:
Horrible hire.

Horrible 1st post.

He fits everything the fire Schwartz crowd wanted. And they still hate the pick. I hope it's not because he is black.

January 15th, 2014, 5:43 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

Can confirm. I am a bridge.

January 15th, 2014, 6:53 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

But everything I've read from Birkett says that Peyton Manning called Mayhew and Stafford gushing about Caldwell and Dungy, Polian and others have given the Lions a thumbs up for the hire.
I do think this hire lacks the "wow" factor. It's not a sexy choice. I wanted a big name and so did everyone else. I was thinking O'Brien or Whis, but we got what we got. I also wanted Polian as GM and got Mayhew instead. I wasn't wow'd at the time, but I think Mayhew is doing a great job filling the roster with talent from 0-16. It all started with the sodomizing of Jerry Jones for Roy Williams and drafting Suh.
I'm not excited about Caldwell, but I wasn't thrilled about Mayhew and Schwartz. Say what you want, but at least Schwartz showed them they could win. Maybe he was the first stepping stone they needed to get to be a champion team under Caldwell? Gotta give him 2 seasons to really make that assessment. However, if he doesn't hit 8-8 in 2014, I think it's the wrong move.

January 15th, 2014, 7:02 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

BillySims wrote:
Beer wrote:
Horrible 1st post.

He fits everything the fire Schwartz crowd wanted. And they still hate the pick. I hope it's not because he is black.

Humor? Cause if you are serious, Lionbacker please bounce this to Off Topic and we can start flaming. I really don't need to see any 'It's just because he is Black' here. I'm fairly intolerant of Black or White people disparaging Black or White people.

Blueskies is my hero. I worship the ground he walks on.

January 16th, 2014, 4:02 am
Hall of Fame Player

TruckinMack wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Beer wrote:
Horrible 1st post.

Humor? Cause if you are serious, Lionbacker please bounce this to Off Topic and we can start flaming. I really don't need to see any 'It's just because he is Black' here. I'm fairly intolerant of Black or White people disparaging Black or White people.

No. Not an attempt at humor. I just see far more negativity over the hiring of Caldwell then I have ever noticed over any other HC the Lions have ever hired. Since Caldwell is everything the fire Schwartz crowd claimed they wanted, I don't know what else could be feuling the amount of venom I have seen spewed all over the web.

January 16th, 2014, 4:35 am
QB Coach

BillySims wrote:
TruckinMack wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Beer wrote:
Horrible 1st post.

No. Not an attempt at humor. I just see far more negativity over the hiring of Caldwell then I have ever noticed over any other HC the Lions have ever hired. Since Caldwell is everything the fire Schwartz crowd claimed they wanted, I don't know what else could be feuling the amount of venom I have seen spewed all over the web.

I think the issue is two things. First, it was reported that Whisenhunt was the guy and everyone started getting excited about that, and then when it didn't happen, they are disappointed. Second, Caldwell isn't necessarily everything people wanted. Yes, he brings experience and certainly should be a calming force on the team to try to eliminate in game mistakes. But, speaking only for myself, I wanted to see someone brought in who has shown good in-game coaching decision making (clock management, not wasting timeouts, etc). Caldwell has historically not been good at those things. In fact, I'd say his biggest weaknesses have been that he manages the clock terribly and wastes timeouts. Most notoriously he twice called timeouts while the opposing team was driving to try to tie/win the game at the end, with the rationale that he wanted to make them snap the ball as many times as possible (as described here: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/09/jim-caldwells-timeout-explanation-doesnt-make-sense/, and here http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/04/jim-caldwell-wouldnt-let-the-jaguars-play-for-overtime/). Those types of things are what give me the most apprehension about this hire. I hope he's learned from those mistakes, but I fear he hasn't. I hope I'm wrong.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

January 16th, 2014, 5:42 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Quote:
However, if he doesn't hit 8-8 in 2014, I think it's the wrong move.

Your standards are disgustingly low.

Should win one playoff game, minimum next season.

January 16th, 2014, 10:19 am
Pop Warner Allstar

Blueskies wrote:
Quote:

For a team with no starting quality cornerbacks, no #2 or #3 receiver that can catch, a question mark at TE and Delmas at safety? I'll gladly take 8-8. If the talent level changes in those areas, I might go to 10-6 and a playoff win. But right now, who could coach this Detroit Lions team to a playoff win? This is an 8-8 team. After the FA and the draft, I hope it's not, but you're also playing the Bears and Packers twice.
If you watch playoff football, teams that have such glaring holes do not win playoff games. I hope those holes are fixed, but that remains to be seen.

January 16th, 2014, 9:32 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

HechePipe wrote:
Blueskies wrote:
Quote:

For a team with no starting quality cornerbacks, no #2 or #3 receiver that can catch, a question mark at TE and Delmas at safety? I'll gladly take 8-8. If the talent level changes in those areas, I might go to 10-6 and a playoff win. But right now, who could coach this Detroit Lions team to a playoff win? This is an 8-8 team. After the FA and the draft, I hope it's not, but you're also playing the Bears and Packers twice.
If you watch playoff football, teams that have such glaring holes do not win playoff games. I hope those holes are fixed, but that remains to be seen.

As far as the Lions go, this seems the smallest number of holes to fill since before Millen.

Blueskies is my hero. I worship the ground he walks on.

January 16th, 2014, 9:42 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

TruckinMack wrote:
HechePipe wrote:
Blueskies wrote:
Quote:

As far as the Lions go, this seems the smallest number of holes to fill since before Millen.

Without question. And for that, I'm very optimistic.
If Darius Slay becomes the guy we want him to be and Chris Houston can return to his 2011 form, and the Lions grab a #2 WR somewhere, I have no problem putting them at 10-6. This is, of course, assuming that HC, OC and DC are competent and can call a game. But with those glaring holes as of now, I wouldn't bet a plugged nickel on the Lions winning a playoff game.

Playoffs? You're talking about playoffs?

January 16th, 2014, 9:54 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
Beer wrote:
Horrible hire.

Horrible 1st post.

Yes, that's it Billy. Brilliant deduction.

Because the same people slamming the hiring of Caldwell were the ones BEGGING for Tony Dungy to come out of retirement to take the job.

So, that's it. MUST be because Caldwell is black.

](*,) #-o =P~

January 16th, 2014, 10:47 pm
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Beer wrote:
Horrible hire.

Horrible 1st post.

Yes, that's it Billy. Brilliant deduction.

Because the same people slamming the hiring of Caldwell were the ones BEGGING for Tony Dungy to come out of retirement to take the job.

So, that's it. MUST be because Caldwell is black.

](*,) #-o =P~

I simply said that I hope it's not because he is black. I didn't specifically accuse anyone of anything. There is no reason at all for anyone to get upset about what I said. People are far too hyper sensitive.

January 17th, 2014, 1:34 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 15 posts ]