View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 10:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Teryl Austin hired as DC 
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post Teryl Austin hired as DC
Hot off the Wire news, rumors and tips
Lions | Teryl Austin hired as DC

Updating a previous report, the Detroit Lions hired Baltimore Ravens secondary coach Teryl Austin for their vacant defensive coordinator position Wednesday, Jan. 15.

2014-01-15 19:07:14 | Source: The Baltimore Sun - Aaron Wilson
- See more at: http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=889203 ... wxhE8.dpuf

January 15th, 2014, 11:42 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post Re: Teryl Austin
I'm not comfortable with the HC hire and I'm less comfortable with this one.

January 15th, 2014, 11:43 pm
QB Coach

Coordinators have to start somewhere. I would have preferred someone experienced however. It'll depend on which position coaches we keep and who we land as OC. Lazor would have been good, everything I read he was coveted by several teams. Don't know much about Austin. Wonder if he'll try to bring CB Corey Graham with him?

January 16th, 2014, 12:30 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

Wikipedia wrote:
Austin was born in Sharon, Pennsylvania. He played college football at the University of Pittsburgh from 1984 to 1987, where he was a four-year letterman and three-year starter. He played in the 1984 Fiesta Bowl and the 1987 Bluebonnet Bowl. Austin played one season with the Montreal Machine of the World League of American Football in 1991.

Austin then began a career in coaching, landing a position as a graduate assistant at Penn State in 1991. In 1993, he accompanied fellow Penn State assistant Jim Caldwell to Wake Forest where he served as secondary coach.[1] Austin went on to serve on the coaching staffs at Syracuse and Michigan before joining the Seattle Seahawks' staff in 2003, helping Seattle advance to Super Bowl XL in 2006.

He joined the Arizona Cardinals coaching staff as coach of defensive backs in 2007. He helped the team reach Super Bowl XLIII in 2009.

On February 12, 2010, it was announced that Austin had been hired as the defensive coordinator for the Florida Gators.[2] His tenure as defensive coordinator ended following the Gators' 37–24 victory over the Penn State Nittany Lions in the 2011 Outback Bowl, and head coach Urban Meyer's resignation in December 2010.

On January 26, 2011, it was announced that Austin had been hired as the secondary coach for the Baltimore Ravens of the NFL.

On January 16, 2014, it was announced that Austin had been hired as the defensive coordinator for the Detroit Lions of the NFL.

January 16th, 2014, 12:44 am
All State

Caldwell and Austin both give me a "this isn't good enough" negative gut feeling as my first reaction but if I can let go of the pessimism for a minute and look at the positive side of his background a DB coach may be a good background. Lord knows we need help in that department! If he can develop Slay, Green, and Greenwood that would be a plus. I still feel like we're getting shortchanged by not having an established DC but at least his background might help.

January 16th, 2014, 3:30 am
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

A HC with a thin resume in head coaching hiring a DC with a thinner resume. Now if they can just hire Rich Rodriguez or John L Smith for OC and I'll know we a F&%#ed.

Absolutely hate Caldwell's first move. Geez I hope I am wrong.

January 16th, 2014, 4:12 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Give the guy a chance. His area of expertise has been the secondary, and we definitely need improvement in that area. It will be nice to have his presence in the room on draft day in regards to identifying talented prospects. Have felt our D has underperformed under JS and look forward to what someone else can do with the talent we have accumulated.

January 16th, 2014, 9:50 am
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

TruckinMack wrote:
A HC with a thin resume in head coaching hiring a DC with a thinner resume. Now if they can just hire Rich Rodriguez or John L Smith for OC and I'll know we a F&%#ed.

And then a few hours after I wrote this I hear Jim Tressel is being added. Actually, I like this choice, though I don't know what Tressel might be doing. OC? Assistant HC? Scout? GM?

January 16th, 2014, 11:15 am
Pop Warner Allstar

TruckinMack wrote:
TruckinMack wrote:

And then a few hours after I wrote this I hear Jim Tressel is being added. Actually, I like this choice, though I don't know what Tressel might be doing. OC? Assistant HC? Scout? GM?

OC.

January 16th, 2014, 10:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]