View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 2:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Jim Tressel? Yep, Jim Tressel. 
Pop Warner Allstar

Post Jim Tressel? Yep, Jim Tressel.
MLive wrote:
DETROIT -- ESPN is reporting that a deal is in place for the Detroit Lions to add former Ohio State coach Jim Tressel to Jim Caldwell's staff "pending approval from the front office."

And Lions president Tom Lewand, a University of Michigan alum, says he would have no problem adding Tressel to the staff if it makes the team better.

"If it helps us win, I'll tattoo a Buckeye on my forehead," Lewand said.

Tressel was immensely successful as Ohio State's head coach from 2001-10, including going 8-1 against rival Michigan, but has been out of coaching since he was fired by the Buckeyes for trying to cover up a scandal.

He stayed in football for a year by becoming a consultant for the Colts in 2011. That also happened to be Caldwell's final year as a head coach.

Indianapolis went 2-14 that season, Caldwell was fired and Tressel did not return in his advisory role. He has held an administrative position at the University of Akron since 2012, and personally advised school president Luis Proenza.

Caldwell was tight-lipped about the possibility of adding Tressel to his staff.

"I'm not going to start talking about staff at this point in time, until we've got it narrowed it down," he said. "But I can tell you in regard to Jim, I think he's very, very happy with what he's doing right now. He's enjoying it and having a great time.

"He's a great man and very capable. But I think he's very comfortable where he is right now."

That would seem to suggest Tressel prefers to stay put. The only wrinkle is Proenza is set to retire this year, and it's unclear what Tressel's future role is at the school.

Does he have any desire to return to coaching?

"You'll have to ask him that," Caldwell said with a smile.

Caldwell hasn't made any moves yet regarding his new staff, but Ravens secondary coach Teryl Austin is expected to be added as defensive coordinator as soon as Thursday. Gunther Cunningham is still under contract in that capacity.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... essel.html

January 16th, 2014, 8:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]