View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 9:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 We need to trade Suh. 
Div 1 - Starter

Post Re: We need to trade Suh.
Personally i would trade him and get anything i could out of him while i still can. for the amount he will cost every year you could add 2 or 3 more solid players plus whatever you get with the picks you get for him. just as an example would you rather have suh or eric decker and aqib talib for the same salary as suh plus whatever you get in the draft from the trade compensation. if you get a mid to late 1st rd out of the deal you could take d. dennard cb at 10 (dont forget, just an example) and get their starting center later in the round with the pick from the trade. so although you dont get a lot out of the trade or even a player as good as suh you can use his saved salary to have better players on the roster and potentially a player as good as him with the pick. i dont know about you guys but i would trade suh for eric decker, aqib talib, and any player worthy of a 1st rd pick over suh any day of the week.

February 14th, 2014, 3:05 am
Pop Warner Allstar

vankman79 wrote:
Personally i would trade him and get anything i could out of him while i still can. for the amount he will cost every year you could add 2 or 3 more solid players plus whatever you get with the picks you get for him. just as an example would you rather have suh or eric decker and aqib talib for the same salary as suh plus whatever you get in the draft from the trade compensation. if you get a mid to late 1st rd out of the deal you could take d. dennard cb at 10 (dont forget, just an example) and get their starting center later in the round with the pick from the trade. so although you dont get a lot out of the trade or even a player as good as suh you can use his saved salary to have better players on the roster and potentially a player as good as him with the pick. i dont know about you guys but i would trade suh for eric decker, aqib talib, and any player worthy of a 1st rd pick over suh any day of the week.

I think one of the main flaws with that position is that you've all taken one tweet from Suh's sister, which may or may not have been about Suh's career in Detroit, and concluding that it means Suh is definitely not going to play in Detroit after his contract.
All of this, coming from a guy (BillySims) who thinks the Lions have a shot at Jared Allen, a guy who openly despises Detroit, mentions Detroiters specifically as scum of the earth and basically says he'd rather die than play here.
But Suh, who has given statements to deny that he wants to leave, and has given no indications himself that he wants to leave, has made millions in Detroit-based endorsements (Chrysler), has made multiple pro-bowls here... He's definitely a goner? Because he wants the same agents that the other elite DT in the NFL (Geno Atkins) has gone with and because like, two years ago, his sister said something about freedom that coincided with the timeline on Suh's contract. I'm not sure that's a sound conclusion to make.
But if it is true that Suh is definitely gone after this year, why take the $19M cap hit? I haven't heard one argument that states why the Lions need to waste 19M on a player that isn't here. Even if your precious Dennard is worth a high 1st rounder, history has shown us that we won't even know that for about 3 years, even with the best DBs. In his first year, if he's as good as Slay or any high round corner, he's gonna ride a lot of pine and make relatively few plays. The dropoff in production at DT, meanwhile, will put even more pressure on a secondary that you want to be even younger than they are now.

If you want to talk about trading Suh for another player that's equal in terms of talent, I'm all ears. But a first and a third round pick are not equal in any way to what Suh brings to the Lions. At all. Without him, that "silver rush" or whatever you dweebs are nicknaming the defensive line, the very thing that teams fear about the Lions, is completely gone. Is anyone really scared of Fairley and Ansah without Suh?
Here's an idea: Let's take the one good thing about the Lions defense and completely destroy it! That's how you win superbowls! Lulz

But I'll offer another solution to the Suh problem that I've not heard in this thread yet - the franchise tag. If he's going to leave, tag him. If he does leave, there's no dead money, the Lions will have had him on the roster as long as possible, AND they get the draft picks. If Suh doesn't leave with the franchise tag, then he gets paid a fair price for a franchise DT, which is all you could ask for. But hey, let's trade him early and risk drafting a player that doesn't play even close to a level that Suh plays while totally losing out on 2014 with a crippling cap hit that could sign some really nice free agents and no Suh. Explain to me how that makes any sense at all. YOU CAN'T! If you want to go through these scenarios, I highly suggest picking up a copy of Madden '13. But this isn't Madden and Millen isn't running the show anymore.

I think the phrase, "a bird in your hand is worth two in the bush" was coined for things like this.

February 14th, 2014, 4:22 am
Varsity Captain

IMO, which most likely matters to only myself and the NSA, we have 2 players that are capable of bringing fair value in a trade. OG Larry Wharton and OT LaDainian Waddle, both starters on the right side of our new OLine. By fair trade, I mean original draft position and alittle more in return, which is hardly fair when you consider their play, salaries and replacement costs for players that are not as good or as promising. Why even think about trades using players that are worth anything unless we come out ahead in capspace and maybe get a 5-7 pick?

There won't be anymore Roy Williams or Ricky Williams trades. I don't see anyone trading the farm for Suh, Stafford or even Megatron.

The players that need to go are the ones that aren't worth the roster spot that they are holding. It's not like we won't have enough players to field a team. We need to spend our picks on the BPA at a position of need. Namely, CB, WR, OLB and C. Most FA's will be stop gaps unless we spend big for a young stud. Keep your stars and bring in more possible stars. I know we can keep them all but we will never get anywhere if we just keep giving them away once the reach stardom. That would be like running a Ford dealership.

February 14th, 2014, 7:07 am
NFL Veteran

People need to just understand that because of the constant contract restructures the Lions can't trade Suh. If they trade him this year they only open up $3M in cap space, so they could sign a mid level FA and whatever they draft with the picks they get in return. It would be almost impossible for them to get a player of substantial value back in return since the player they are receiving would have to fit under the cap saving from Suh plus any space they can create from the other players they release. Now we add to the deal that the team that trades for Suh will also need to extend him for a huge chunk of money and you have just pushed down his value since teams with the cap space aren't one player away. The Franchise tag isn't an option next year since it would cost way too much plus they still have pending cap charges that will hit the cap next season whether he's franchised or walks. The only relatively nice option the Lions have is to extend Suh to create a better cap friendly number for him or they will be throwing this season away and making the hiring of Caldwell as a win now coach completely pointless.

February 14th, 2014, 1:39 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

For giggles and kicks, let us say that we do indeed trade Suh for a first round and third round pick in the upcoming draft. The question then becomes do we actually save any money? Highly doubtful. To begin with, his bonuses that are currently being pro-rated hit the cap immediately. Then we have to sign the players we draft using the picks we got in trade. So, we are getting rid of money in the form of bonuses against our cap and a proven player to pay essentially the same money to a couple of players we draft who are unproven and may not contribute for at least a year... as they eat up cap space that would have been eaten up by a proven player.

Do I want to extend Suh as soon as possible? Not really. I think he is a good player. I think we would do well to keep him. I also think we already overpaid for him and any extension at this time will exacerbate the situation. If the Lions had not overpaid Calvin and Stafford already to the extent that they have then re-signing Suh would not be that much of an issue; we'd have more room. Now, that doesn't mean we don't negotiate. We continue to negotiate in good faith; he may not want the farm. The thing is, the threat of him negating the final year of his contract means he has a monster year. It also does not preclude us from signing him to a new contract. We are not in the best place, but we are in far better position with Suh than we are with Stafford.

(yes, we overpaid Calvin. He is the best in the league at what he does, but it was still too much money. Still, it was better than the contract given to Stafford; that one was simply ridiculous at the time and proven worse as this last season showed.)

February 14th, 2014, 8:28 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

What the Lions need to do to allow themselves to keep Suh and build a contender is get creative and make a contract that makes Suh a cap friendly casualty in four or five years. That is to say give him the deal he is likely going to be looking for and not the contract the fans think he is going to sign. As much as people want him to sign a deal similar to Atkins, I can't see Suh signing a deal worth less than his rookie contract and will more than likely want a Haynesworth deal. I'm envisioning something in the realm of a 7 year $115 million deal with about $40 million in guarantees. If they can pull off that contract and make year five a huge year where he would get about $30 million it would make the first few seasons manageable and allow the Lions to build a little more quality as far as depth of talent.

The 800 pound gorilla in the room is really what they are going to do with Calvin in a few seasons? I get that the Lions had to extend him just because they would have never received anything close to a favorable deal in return for him in a trade but I have never been a fan of paying those #1 WR contracts. In a few seasons his contract will more than likely be higher than his production and not only the Lions but Calvin will have to sit down and discuss his future with the team.

February 14th, 2014, 9:44 pm
Team MVP

sweetd20 wrote:
What the Lions need to do to allow themselves to keep Suh and build a contender is get creative and make a contract that makes Suh a cap friendly casualty in four or five years. That is to say give him the deal he is likely going to be looking for and not the contract the fans think he is going to sign. As much as people want him to sign a deal similar to Atkins, I can't see Suh signing a deal worth less than his rookie contract and will more than likely want a Haynesworth deal. I'm envisioning something in the realm of a 7 year $115 million deal with about $40 million in guarantees. If they can pull off that contract and make year five a huge year where he would get about $30 million it would make the first few seasons manageable and allow the Lions to build a little more quality as far as depth of talent.

The 800 pound gorilla in the room is really what they are going to do with Calvin in a few seasons? I get that the Lions had to extend him just because they would have never received anything close to a favorable deal in return for him in a trade but I have never been a fan of paying those #1 WR contracts. In a few seasons his contract will more than likely be higher than his production and not only the Lions but Calvin will have to sit down and discuss his future with the team.

Well said.

I love Calvin. OBVIOUSLY hes one of a kind. But, I think a huge part of the Lions fan base think he can last forever. I dont see him falling of the face of the earth next year or anything, but I think 2-3 years from now we will start seeing a less-than-Calvin production. Still #1 WR production, but not necessarily worth his contract.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 14th, 2014, 11:54 pm
Div 1 - Starter

HechePipe wrote:
vankman79 wrote:

I think one of the main flaws with that position is that you've all taken one tweet from Suh's sister, which may or may not have been about Suh's career in Detroit, and concluding that it means Suh is definitely not going to play in Detroit after his contract.
All of this, coming from a guy (BillySims) who thinks the Lions have a shot at Jared Allen, a guy who openly despises Detroit, mentions Detroiters specifically as scum of the earth and basically says he'd rather die than play here.
But Suh, who has given statements to deny that he wants to leave, and has given no indications himself that he wants to leave, has made millions in Detroit-based endorsements (Chrysler), has made multiple pro-bowls here... He's definitely a goner? Because he wants the same agents that the other elite DT in the NFL (Geno Atkins) has gone with and because like, two years ago, his sister said something about freedom that coincided with the timeline on Suh's contract. I'm not sure that's a sound conclusion to make.
But if it is true that Suh is definitely gone after this year, why take the $19M cap hit? I haven't heard one argument that states why the Lions need to waste 19M on a player that isn't here. Even if your precious Dennard is worth a high 1st rounder, history has shown us that we won't even know that for about 3 years, even with the best DBs. In his first year, if he's as good as Slay or any high round corner, he's gonna ride a lot of pine and make relatively few plays. The dropoff in production at DT, meanwhile, will put even more pressure on a secondary that you want to be even younger than they are now.

If you want to talk about trading Suh for another player that's equal in terms of talent, I'm all ears. But a first and a third round pick are not equal in any way to what Suh brings to the Lions. At all. Without him, that "silver rush" or whatever you dweebs are nicknaming the defensive line, the very thing that teams fear about the Lions, is completely gone. Is anyone really scared of Fairley and Ansah without Suh?
Here's an idea: Let's take the one good thing about the Lions defense and completely destroy it! That's how you win superbowls! Lulz

But I'll offer another solution to the Suh problem that I've not heard in this thread yet - the franchise tag. If he's going to leave, tag him. If he does leave, there's no dead money, the Lions will have had him on the roster as long as possible, AND they get the draft picks. If Suh doesn't leave with the franchise tag, then he gets paid a fair price for a franchise DT, which is all you could ask for. But hey, let's trade him early and risk drafting a player that doesn't play even close to a level that Suh plays while totally losing out on 2014 with a crippling cap hit that could sign some really nice free agents and no Suh. Explain to me how that makes any sense at all. YOU CAN'T! If you want to go through these scenarios, I highly suggest picking up a copy of Madden '13. But this isn't Madden and Millen isn't running the show anymore.

I think the phrase, "a bird in your hand is worth two in the bush" was coined for things like this.

I don't know what suh's sister said, i was just voicing my opinion. If the lions keep him and sign him long term, how much is he gonna get per year? Lets just say for an example that its 15 million per season for 5 years. now lets say that the lions were able to trade suh and get a 1st and 3rd round pick. now the lions have the additional 15 million per season that they can go out and get more talent. lets say they sign eric decker for 6 million and aqib talib for 8 million and still have money left over. plus they still get a 1st round talent and a 3rd round player out of the deal.

personally i would rather have aqib talib, eric decker, and lets say eric ebron (te out of north carolina) with the 1st round compensation along with whoever they select in the 3rd round. your not gonna tell me that just having suh on the team is gonna be better than having all them players.

all im saying is they can build a much better team without his huge contract. as far as worrying about the dead money in the trade, if you let the trade partner negotiate a contract with him and he signs the new deal with detroit before being traded i would think that could eliminate a lot of the dead money if not all. I have to be honest though, im not sure that its possible and im not gonna tell you it is, but i have heard of teams letting trade partners talk to the player to negotiate contracts before being traded. even if it costs the lions this season in dead money then it wouldn't be the worst thing that ever happened. you still save the 15 million for the other 4 seasons plus you get some real potential in a 1st round pick. I just don't see it being as big a loss as most see it. I see it as a win

February 15th, 2014, 4:38 am
Pop Warner Allstar

vankman79 wrote:
HechePipe wrote:
vankman79 wrote:

I don't know what suh's sister said, i was just voicing my opinion. If the lions keep him and sign him long term, how much is he gonna get per year? Lets just say for an example that its 15 million per season for 5 years. now lets say that the lions were able to trade suh and get a 1st and 3rd round pick. now the lions have the additional 15 million per season that they can go out and get more talent. lets say they sign eric decker for 6 million and aqib talib for 8 million and still have money left over. plus they still get a 1st round talent and a 3rd round player out of the deal.

personally i would rather have aqib talib, eric decker, and lets say eric ebron (te out of north carolina) with the 1st round compensation along with whoever they select in the 3rd round. your not gonna tell me that just having suh on the team is gonna be better than having all them players.

all im saying is they can build a much better team without his huge contract. as far as worrying about the dead money in the trade, if you let the trade partner negotiate a contract with him and he signs the new deal with detroit before being traded i would think that could eliminate a lot of the dead money if not all. I have to be honest though, im not sure that its possible and im not gonna tell you it is, but i have heard of teams letting trade partners talk to the player to negotiate contracts before being traded. even if it costs the lions this season in dead money then it wouldn't be the worst thing that ever happened. you still save the 15 million for the other 4 seasons plus you get some real potential in a 1st round pick. I just don't see it being as big a loss as most see it. I see it as a win

Again, if you want to talk about trading Suh for players that have already proven something in the NFL, I'm cool with it. If there's some sort of guarantee that the Lions will end up with Decker, Ebron and Talib, sign me up.
But again, Suh is an absolute proven talent. If it were guaranteed that the Lions would get a player or players that make an impact like Suh has, I'd be first on the trade Suh bandwagon. I don't care that he's dirty or what fans from GB or Chi say about the Lions because of Suh. I don't care that he gives Jim Rome something to talk about or that he's pretty much fined on a weekly basis. It's not my paycheck that's covering the fines.
What I care about is the Lions' talent level. And we both know that there is not a player in this draft that anyone can guarantee will produce from any position the way Suh has produced at DT.
Yes, he's talented and yes, you pay lots of money for that. You can buy a new Lexus for $60,000 that performs like a $60,000 Lexus or you can pay $13,000 for a new Ford Fiesta that performs like a $13,000 Ford Fiesta. Both serve as a means to get from point a to point b just as any DT will perform his job at least well enough to keep it. The difference is that Suh is proven and a 1st round pick is not. How much is that worth? Well, how much is winning worth?
Reminds me of that old game show or any number of game shows on TV where the contestant has won $10,000 and is faced with the decision to walk away with the 10 g's or take whatever is behind door #1, door #2 or door #3. On one hand, there is a new Cadillac behind one of the doors, but behind the other two is a steaming pile of Doberman sh!t. Sorry guys, but I'm taking the cash and going home.

If this is such a good business model and a guarantee for success, do us a favor and drain all of your savings and take it to your nearest horse racing track and bet it all on Poppa's Little Prince. Let us know how it works out for you.

TL;DR - Trade Suh for players that are equal in terms of talent? Sign me up. Trade Suh for a pocketful of wishes and potential? No thanks, dumb idea. That's the thing about expensive items; generally speaking, you get what you pay for. Pay a lot, get a lot. Spend cheap, get cheap.

Answer me this: if there's so much potential to get a player at Suh's talent level in the draft, why wouldn't a team just draft that player with their own 1st round pick themselves instead of paying Suh's price tag? If the Lions have the ability to take that pick that's given from the other team and turn it into a player that can perform at Suh's level, why wouldn't that team just keep the draft pick and sign the player at the 1st round rookie price tag and save boatloads of money themselves?
I think we all know the answer to that question.

Sure, teams trade talent for picks sometimes. There's a word for that. That word is "rebuilding." The Lions are 7-9 with some good talent. ADD to the talent, don't take it away and start from scratch. There's no need to blow up the team and start from scratch with rookies. Fill holes, don't create them. Correct deficiencies, don't add to them.

February 15th, 2014, 6:03 am
Div 1 - Starter

your not getting my example, it might be some other players they spend the money on. either way the lions would lose something at defensive tackle but gain in other spots. lets say they get jason hatcher, rilley cooper, and vontae davis. hakeem nicks and brent grimes. tj ward and alterraun verner. dominique rodgers cromartie and jarius byrd. chris clemons, eric decker, captain munnerlyn. there are all kinds of good players that could be picked up with the money saved by not signing him to a long term deal and trading him away.

every one of them scenarios are wins but on top of that you still have the draft picks you got in return for suh which is a first round pick. but your not trading suh for just the 1st and 3rd round picks. your also signing guys with what would have been his salary which are proven talent.

February 15th, 2014, 12:12 pm
NFL Veteran

vankman79 wrote:
your not getting my example, it might be some other players they spend the money on. either way the lions would lose something at defensive tackle but gain in other spots. lets say they get jason hatcher, rilley cooper, and vontae davis. hakeem nicks and brent grimes. tj ward and alterraun verner. dominique rodgers cromartie and jarius byrd. chris clemons, eric decker, captain munnerlyn. there are all kinds of good players that could be picked up with the money saved by not signing him to a long term deal and trading him away.

every one of them scenarios are wins but on top of that you still have the draft picks you got in return for suh which is a first round pick. but your not trading suh for just the 1st and 3rd round picks. your also signing guys with what would have been his salary which are proven talent.

I think he understands your point just fine, you can't be sure you'll sign any of those guys. You could be stuck signing the 5th or 6th best FA at every position your trying to fill. You also don't know how those guys will play with the rest of your defense, but you know right now that Suh makes 3 guys on your Dline better. The other thing you have to add into the equation is your throwing away a season(which Mayhew can't afford to do) just to get this space to try to sign these types of players in 2015.

February 15th, 2014, 1:24 pm
Hall of Fame Player

rao wrote:
vankman79 wrote:

I think he understands your point just fine, you can't be sure you'll sign any of those guys. You could be stuck signing the 5th or 6th best FA at every position your trying to fill. You also don't know how those guys will play with the rest of your defense, but you know right now that Suh makes 3 guys on your Dline better. The other thing you have to add into the equation is your throwing away a season(which Mayhew can't afford to do) just to get this space to try to sign these types of players in 2015.

Throw away 1 season or throw away 4 or 5. Because if we resign Suh, it will be for 4 or 5 years. And we will continue with severe cap problems and gradually get worse and end up with nothing to show for it.

February 15th, 2014, 4:20 pm
Team MVP

Just because other guys on your roster dont make a ton of money doesnt mean they can being big contributors.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 15th, 2014, 4:51 pm
NFL Veteran

BillySims wrote:
rao wrote:
vankman79 wrote:

Throw away 1 season or throw away 4 or 5. Because if we resign Suh, it will be for 4 or 5 years. And we will continue with severe cap problems and gradually get worse and end up with nothing to show for it.

Even if they gradually got worse over the length of the contract they still would have the next 2-3 years to compete with the guys they have now and the rookies they can add in those off seasons. In addition to that we still don't know what will happen with the cap in the future with possible larger increases in coming seasons helping to alleviate the cap pressure. Lets be real, CJ is going to be 29 this season and given his freakish size along with constant knee trouble over the years he wont be the huge force he has been in the next couple years. They need to win now, not build for the future. Mayhew and the team are going all in, so trading Suh will help absolutely nothing.

February 15th, 2014, 5:17 pm
Div 1 - Starter

how are they gonna win now? they cant get the players they need because they have a defensive tackle that accounts for 22 million against the cap. sure you might get to the playoffs but probably not getting to the superbowl or winning it with just suh. they need to be able to cover recievers because obviously the pass rush that suh puts up isnt good enough to make up for the suspect secondary. they need other wide recievers because calvin just cant do it all by himself. trading suh wouldnt be a setback or building for the future it would allow the team to pursue the players they need to get to be the winner you all look for now.

February 15th, 2014, 7:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next