View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 21st, 2014, 11:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Akers amoung 5 cuts 
RIP Killer

Post Akers amoung 5 cuts
I'm a little surprised about Wendling...

MLive wrote:
INDIANAPOLIS -- Embattled Detroit Lions kicker David Akers is among five veterans who were informed by general manager Martin Mayhew they will not return next season.

Safety John Wendling, defensive end Israel Idonije, offensive lineman Dylan Gandy, and linebacker Rocky McIntosh also are out.

Mayhew would not discuss the future of players who he has not yet personally talked to. That includes cornerback Rashean Mathis, who is set to become a free agent next month after starting most of his one season with the team.

Akers is the most notable player of those who will not return. He signed with the Lions last offseason, but fell out of favor after struggling with his accuracy.

He was 19-of-24 on the season, good for a 79.2 percent hit rate that was his second-worst mark since 2007.

Mayhew said he expects kickers John Potter and Giorgio Tavecchio to compete for the job after signing futures deals this offseason, though the club could pursue veterans in free agency.

Wendling spent the past four seasons with Detroit as a special teams ace, and was a captain the past two years.

"He's a heck of a guy," Mayhew said Friday morning in Indianapolis during a breakfast session with local reporters. "Spoke to him and told him I appreciated his efforts the past few years. I certainly wish him the best."

Idonije, Gandy, and McIntosh spent one season with Detroit as reserves.

Mayhew did not say whether the club would try to re-sign backup quarterback Shaun Hill, but did say the Lions will explore their QB options in free agency.

February 21st, 2014, 10:26 am
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Post Re: Akers amoung 5 cuts
no surprises here, wendling was going to be receiving more money than the lions can pay for a special teamers. they picked up dejon gomes who s better in a pinch on defense, not quite as good on special teams but more importantly costs less and that will be the type of player that replaces wendling. they also signed another safety to a no guaranteed one year deal

February 21st, 2014, 11:01 am
Varsity Captain

I too was surprised to see Wendling among the cuts.

The Lions also resigned SS Isa Abdul-Quddus to a 1 year contract for $695K. Maybe I haven't paid enough attention but I have never heard of this guy.

My question is, who are the Lions looking at to replace these role players? Except for Ackers(not a role player, just a washed up kicker). Obviously an important position. Kickalisious(sp?) maybe. Who else could they be looking at? In house, FA, draft or undrafted? T.O. wants to play bad. Bring him in and see how he acts.

Thoughts?

February 21st, 2014, 9:28 pm
Team MVP

Just to clear up, these weren't cuts. All of these guys were free agents as of March 11. Lions simply informed them they wouldn't be brought back.

February 22nd, 2014, 10:23 am
Varsity Captain

Thanks for that, I can't keep all this crap straight as I don't trust most of the sports writers in the nation...lol

February 22nd, 2014, 4:32 pm
National Champion

I hope they bring in Kickalicious.

February 22nd, 2014, 10:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]