View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 20th, 2014, 8:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Steven Hauschka a lion 
Walk On

Post Steven Hauschka a lion
Call me crazy, but we need to target this guy as a free agent acquisition and re-stabilize our kicking position, he's was 92% this past year.

March 2nd, 2014, 11:42 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Post Re: Steven Hauschka a lion
i thought they should of kept him when they had him

March 3rd, 2014, 11:12 am
Heisman Winner

A misleading title. What you want and what is fact are two different things. :wink: Having said that, he's a talented kicker but you don't pay a premium for one of the league's best when you have the top heavy salary structure the Lion's currently have. You have to cut corner's and kicker has to be one of them. You gotta hope to catch a cheap FA rookie or a vet looking to catch back on with something to prove.

March 4th, 2014, 9:49 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

The Martin drafting worked out great IMO. It should encourage the FO to draft a kicker (we were apparently talking to several at the combine).

March 5th, 2014, 12:13 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

yostevo wrote:
A misleading title. What you want and what is fact are two different things. :wink: Having said that, he's a talented kicker but you don't pay a premium for one of the league's best when you have the top heavy salary structure the Lion's currently have. You have to cut corner's and kicker has to be one of them. You gotta hope to catch a cheap FA rookie or a vet looking to catch back on with something to prove.

I actually disagree with you. Paying a little more for an above average kicker REALLY doesn't cost you much more....at least when compaired to other positions. I'd gladly see them pay an additional 1/2 million to the next Eddie Murray / Jason Hanson. Compaired to what you pay for top tallent at other positions, a 1/2 mill is nothing, and absolutley worth it!

March 5th, 2014, 12:18 pm
QB Coach

Top kickers make close to $3M per year while rookies and young guys make under 500,000. That $2.5M can be spent elsewhere.

March 5th, 2014, 12:41 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Top kickers make close to $3M per year while rookies and young guys make under 500,000. That $2.5M can be spent elsewhere.

Ok you inspired me to look it up. The avertage NFL Kicker makes about 1 mill. the two top paid guys are right around 2.5 mill. So i was wrong about a 1/2 mill. To fund paying an uper echilon kicker would cost about an extra 1 million. I'd say the guys I mentioned above are very worth the extra million. Thats about the cost of 1 low end starter or quality backup. For a guy we need to depend on week in and week out, I'd say thats more than worth it.

March 5th, 2014, 3:47 pm
QB Coach

http://overthecap.com/top-player-salari ... Position=K

The top 1/3 of kickers (11 guys) average over $3M per season on their deals. Yes that doesn't mean they're making $3M every season and they may not ever see that money, but to sign a top guy that's what we're going to have to offer.

http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/cap ... /limit-25/

Currently the top 8 have cap hits over $3M for this season and there are 2-3 bigger names free at kicker this year that will add to that.

March 5th, 2014, 11:10 pm
Div 1 - Starter

hey im sure akers will come back for vet minimum and miss every crucial field goal next season. that way you guys can save the extra couple million. i mean really, who cares as long as they can hit an extra point most of the time, rIGHT?

March 6th, 2014, 11:34 am
3rd Round Selection

I would normally agree with those who say go the cheaper route and draft a kicker but while I was researching for a mock I was doing I came to the realization that this is a HORRIBLE draft class for kickers, I wouldn't touch any of the kickers in this draft, would much rather just bring in some camp legs and pick the best one with this draft class.

I personally don't mind spending 2-3 mil on a kicker if he's going to give us a reliable 90+% kicker, especially with the reports of the NFL considering the idea of moving the PAT back to the 30 (or was it the 25? I can't remember), even though I doubt they actually do it.

March 8th, 2014, 7:50 pm
Div 1 - Starter

42 yds which would be the 25 yd line

March 9th, 2014, 1:18 am
League MVP

pay up for eric decker, draft mike evans and say good bye to field goals. let martin, suh and stafford wage a battle for PAT kicker. use the roster spot on another sp teamer.

March 9th, 2014, 12:15 pm
QB Coach

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... year-deal/

Quote:
After playing on a series of one-year deals with Seattle, kicker Steven Hauschka is finally getting a multi-year contract.

The Seahawks and Hauschka have reached a three-year, $9.15 million pact, Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports. According to Rapoport, Hauschka will receive $3.35 million guaranteed.

Since 2011, Hauschka has connected on 89.1 percent of his regular season field goals for Seattle (82-of-92). He was 33-of-35 on field goals in 2013, and 48-of-94 kickoffs resulted in touchbacks.

The 28-year-old Hauschka was 8-of-8 on field goals in the 2013 postseason. However, he may be most famous for a kick he didn’t attempt. In the NFC title game, he told coach Pete Carroll a 53-yard field goal try was out of his range, given the wind. The Seahawks elected to go for it on fourth down, and quarterback Russell Wilson hit Jermaine Kearse for a 35-yard TD pass to give the Seahawks a lead they would not relinquish in a 23-17 victory. Carroll would praise Hauschka for his honesty, and Hauschka would go on to hit both field goals and all five extra points in Super Bowl XLVIII.

And now he's off the market. Another $3M average per year deal for a top kicker.

March 17th, 2014, 12:10 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I would rather send a pick or player to the Bills for Dustin Hopkins. They drafted him in the 5th last year after being a fantastic college kicker. He got hurt in camp and they replaced him with Dan Carpenter, whom they just resigned after having a stellar season. He could be a cheap fix for the next decade.

March 17th, 2014, 1:11 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Consider me as still being on the draft a kicker bandwagon. If you look at immediate impact vs round likely taken, it's a no brainer IMO.

March 17th, 2014, 1:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next