View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 2:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Free Agent Acquisitions 
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Re: Free Agent Acquisitions

March 13th, 2014, 10:10 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

thelomasbrowns wrote:

Quote:
In need of safety help, the Detroit Lions look to be adding one very familiar with new defensive coordinator Teryl Austin.

Free-Agent Tracker

Follow all the developments on the NFL's open market with our up-to-the-minute tracking of 2014's free agents. More ...

The Lions are expected to sign ex-Baltimore Ravens safety James Ihedigbo, Pro Football Talk reported Thursday, citing a league source.

The Lions needed to add a safety after parting ways with Louis Delmas -- who signed with the Miami Dolphins earlier this week.

Ihedigbo, 30, is a very good run defender, but he struggles in coverage. After spending the past two seasons together in Baltimore, his familiarity with Austin should help provide depth at the position. Ihedigbo also can play on special teams.

We still expect the Lions to add a safety through the draft, as Lions general manager Martin Mayhew needs to get younger and quicker at the position.

The Lions also are adding veteran defensive tackle Vaughn Martin, according to his agent.

This on NFL.com

I dont know much about the guy, but NFL.com's take on it has me less than thrilled

Last edited by regularjoe12 on March 13th, 2014, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 13th, 2014, 10:56 am
Player of the Year - Defense

For the unseen dynamics of synergy.... last year Quinn was better against the pass than he was against the run... Ihedigbo was better against the run than he was the pass. Good compliments against each other.

March 13th, 2014, 10:58 am
RIP Killer

You know new coaches always sign a few former players who know their systems. This is just one of those signings.

March 13th, 2014, 1:04 pm
Profile WWW

Pablo wrote:
You know new coaches always sign a few former players who know their systems. This is just one of those signings.

Yep, I guess so far im looking for something to get excited about this offseason. so far (IMO) we have a MEH coach, and faster Nate 2.0 and everything else falls under the MEH category as well. I sound like im complaining (and maybe i am...a little) but i dont mean to. I'm simply just not excited so far by anything thats been done. If we score Emanual Sanders, or end up with Watkins in the draft, my opinion will probably change, but for now.....MEH!

March 13th, 2014, 1:53 pm
NFL Veteran

regularjoe12 wrote:
Pablo wrote:

Yep, I guess so far im looking for something to get excited about this offseason. so far (IMO) we have a MEH coach, and faster Nate 2.0 and everything else falls under the MEH category as well. I sound like im complaining (and maybe i am...a little) but i dont mean to. I'm simply just not excited so far by anything thats been done. If we score Emanual Sanders, or end up with Watkins in the draft, my opinion will probably change, but for now.....MEH!

I don't think they are even looking at Sanders at this point except just as due diligence. I think you can get everything Sanders would give you from Golden Tate and I'd like to see them sign another tall WR since Stafford seems to have a better time when he can throw high.

March 13th, 2014, 2:03 pm
Varsity Captain

So why not ditch both of them and use the money for a more complete S?

As for Martin, he has less than 80 tackles and 3(?) sacks in 5 years. He's played in 16 games once and he is coming off season ending sports hernia surgery. His camp says he's 100%. What the hell is a "Sports Hernia"? Is it different than a hernia that an engineer would get? Just messing with you engineering types.

I really think that the money that was spent on those 2 could have been used to keep Willie Young from going to the F*&$%* Bears. Besides signing these guys we still need to replace Delmas(with a starter), Willie Young, more than likely Pett, resign Wendling, find a kicker that is more accurate than my mom, a edge rushing SLB and CHEERLEADERS!!! With Bill Sr. gone (RIP Bill) maybe we have a chance or was Martha the reason we don't have half naked ladies?

Ford spends million on advertising that uses very classy and hot ladies but not in Ford field?

Change the food for the average fan. $8.00 dogs and $10.00 watered down beers are bull. I've been to Baltimore to a minor league baseball game where owner Cal Ripken Jr. see's to is that they have a place that the average fan can sit around a table with a great view of the game and have your table covered with fresh steamed crab and the beverage of choice.

I can bitch about this because the Lion's org. gets a min. of $2500 a year from me. It's a family thing so at times it could reach $10,000. No sense it getting a suite because the food is only alittle better, the drinks come from the original containers and you best view of the game is on the multiple TVs in the room.

What I'm saying is beside my love for the Lions and my monetary contributions, what I recieve is an overpriced hotdog and sausage BBQ with beer, obnoxious fellow fans and a long drive home.

I can stay home, whipout the 60" flat screen , buy a keg, play decent music at half time,have all the costume malfunctions we like and send the kids to bed at 7:00.

All I'm saying and I could have done it sooner, is that the fans are not getting much of a bang for their multiple bucks, but we all keep coming back.

Please join me and email the Fords and at least demand cheerleaders. The rest we can deal with after we see what the cheerleaders look like [-o< =D>

March 13th, 2014, 2:09 pm

rao wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
Pablo wrote:

I don't think they are even looking at Sanders at this point except just as due diligence. I think you can get everything Sanders would give you from Golden Tate and I'd like to see them sign another tall WR since Stafford seems to have a better time when he can throw high.

ya know what, you are right....for some reason I was thinking Sanders was 4-5 inches taller. so I take that back. another FAST tall WR that allows us to put Tate in the slot.......that would change my MEH feelings.

(I do think Sanders would have been much MUCH cheaper though...he is honestly who I thought we would end up with)

March 13th, 2014, 2:15 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Complete safeties are rare. Troy Malaluhair, Ed Reed... they don't come around that often. It's not that Quin or Iheldigbo are bad at their weak area, it's just the strong areas were much better. Delmas wasn't good at either, but he aced whiffing on flying tackles.

Martin is a DT. They traditionally don't get a ton of sacks in a Miami's system. The DE's did.

As for Willie Young... he's already 28, and he's one dimensional. When we play the Bears, I'd expect a lot of runs right at his side. He was always decent when he could just go at the QB, but every big run we gave up was traditionally run at his side. With Gun still advising, expect to see his weaknesses exploited.

Back to Iheldigbo - Imma call him iggy, so we have a Ziggy and an iggy... he hasn't signed yet, but even with him signing, expect them to draft a young safety for depth or to push to start. Just not at 10 unless the scouts are weighing someone above the available WR's or CB's. And expect them to move DE into a higher priority for either FA or 2nd to 3rd round in the draft. We have Jones, Ziggy and Taylor so one more should do it, unless they go with a rushing OLB that's big enough to mix up with a hybrid system.

March 13th, 2014, 2:23 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

njroar wrote:
Complete safeties are rare. Troy Malaluhair, Ed Reed... they don't come around that often. It's not that Quin or Iheldigbo are bad at their weak area, it's just the strong areas were much better. Delmas wasn't good at either, but he aced whiffing on flying tackles.

Martin is a DT. They traditionally don't get a ton of sacks in a Miami's system. The DE's did.

As for Willie Young... he's already 28, and he's one dimensional. When we play the Bears, I'd expect a lot of runs right at his side. He was always decent when he could just go at the QB, but every big run we gave up was traditionally run at his side. With Gun still advising, expect to see his weaknesses exploited.

Back to Iheldigbo - Imma call him iggy, so we have a Ziggy and an iggy... he hasn't signed yet, but even with him signing, expect them to draft a young safety for depth or to push to start. Just not at 10 unless the scouts are weighing someone above the available WR's or CB's. And expect them to move DE into a higher priority for either FA or 2nd to 3rd round in the draft. We have Jones, Ziggy and Taylor so one more should do it, unless they go with a rushing OLB that's big enough to mix up with a hybrid system.

Remember we're going back to a traditional FS/SS set up. Iheldigbo should be a good SS. Quinn, the former corner, is a logical FS. Plus, I wouldn't rule out drafting a safety (even in the first).

March 13th, 2014, 3:14 pm
Modmin Dude

March 13th, 2014, 3:52 pm
NFL Veteran

regularjoe12 wrote:
rao wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
Pablo wrote:

ya know what, you are right....for some reason I was thinking Sanders was 4-5 inches taller. so I take that back. another FAST tall WR that allows us to put Tate in the slot.......that would change my MEH feelings.

(I do think Sanders would have been much MUCH cheaper though...he is honestly who I thought we would end up with)
Your probably right about Sanders coming much cheaper, but I also don't think he could fill in as a number 2 if the lions can't draft or sign another guy to push for the spot. Even though I think best case scenario would be Tate as the number 3, I do still think he can be a very successful number 2. I just want to see the Lions get another big bodied complete WR because they need someone that can fill in for CJ if his knee has issues again like in previous years.

March 13th, 2014, 7:37 pm
League MVP

Remaining needs:

QB - cheap No 2 or mid-late pick (5th rd-6th rd).
RB - no need
FB - Owens still on the roster but clearly looking for a blocking back/H-back type
TE - no apparent needs w Pettigrew re-signing. Fauria steps up his role a bit. Williams competes for PT w an H-back/FB in a blocking role
WR -CJ and Tate is a good start. Need one more legit guy. Thinking this will be in the draft maybe not at No 10 though - maybe Odell Beckham, maybe Paul Richardson, something like that. Gotta have 3 guys w talent.
OL - need a depth interior player for G/C. Could be a drafted player that projects to start by 2015
K - Mayhew has a couple no names but Lions might be waiting until training camp for a known veteran to be sprung loose
P - no need
LS - no need
KR/PR - Ross fits nicely, I dont see the Lions using Tate in this role unless something s wrong
DT - Martin might be okay, but wouldnt be shocked to see a draft pick at this spot w future of Suh/Fairley in question
DE - if a passrusher is available in the draft this is the top need. lions downgraded from willie young and jason jones is a question mark after injury
MLB - depth need only
OLB - depth need only
CB - need but team apparently not looking? (big wildcard position here - does slay stink or will he be better? is houston done or do we believe the excuses? green/greenwood? im ok w bently as the nickle guy and thats only bc everything else is a ?)
S - still a need even with Ihedigbo

Summary - as of now if the Lions want to compete for a playoff spot in 2014 they need to come out of the 1st 3 rounds with 1) an edge passrusher 2) another good WR and 3) coverage player - either a corner thats good enough that covers Ihedigbo's weakness or a safety that can support the corners in coverage better than ihedigbo can

March 14th, 2014, 9:04 am
RIP Killer

This is how the roster is starting to look

Offense: 19
QB - Stafford (Moore)
RB - Bush, Bell, Riddick (LeShoure, Miller, Owens)
WR - CJ, Tate, Broyles, Durham, Ogletree, Fuller (Edwards)
T - Reiff, Waddle, Hilliard
G - Simms, Warford (Austin)
C - Raiola
TE - Pett, Fauria, Williams

Defense: 17
DT - Suh, Fairley, Martin (Irvin, Mosley)
DE - Ansah, Taylor, Tapp, (Jones)
LB - Tulloch, Levy, Palmer (Lewis, Whitehead)
S - Quin, Ihedigbo, Carey (Gomes, Owusu-Ansah)
CB - Houston, Slay, Bentley, Green, Greenwood

Special Teams: 3
P - Martin
K - ?
KR/PR - Ross
LS - Mulbauch

That's 39 spots that look pretty set, there will be some question marks at some spots especially after more FA pickups and the draft. Some of the (guys) will also make the roster but I certainly don't see them as locks at this point.

March 14th, 2014, 10:24 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

I see that Jared Allen is still available, or was the last I knew, and he wants fair market value. With Willie's loss to the Bears, and still having a need, wouldn't JA be a good target? He's a known commodity, and probably would rank up there with Red Eyes for the next few seasons....

That would allow us to concentrate on the Safeties and Centers without having to reach for a man with questionable work ethic like Clowney, or am I way off base.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

March 14th, 2014, 10:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next