View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 11:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Golden Tate 
Team MVP

Post Re: Golden Tate
Killwill25 wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
I like it. I'd still be ok with trading up for Sammy Watkins tho

Seriously? We still have a GLARING need at safety, where we can easily fill at the 10 spot. Other than Clemons I dont like our options on the FA market as far as safeties go.

Like NJroar said, I don't think any safety this year is 1st round material. My favorite safety in this draft is Lamarcus Joiner and I think he could be had on day 3. James Ihidegbo is not really getting any action and Teryl Austin will probably scoop him up if he's still floating around and I would trust him in the backfield more than Clinton-Dix or Pryor. I'd take the best available pass rusher over either of them. I just think that a lot of teams will copy SEA(whom the playoffs will go through) and we need WRs who can match up with them physically. Watkins and Tate both fit that mold and have excellent RAC skills which we had none of last season.

But as far as Tate goes, I'm glad we finally have a player who will get on Matthew Stafford if he has to. He is as chippy as they come and I see some Hienz Ward there

Shoot I think both Haha and Pryor are 1st round material. I'd take Pryor at 10 and not look back.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 13th, 2014, 6:23 am
Player of the Year - Defense

I think this is an amazing pick up. He's not a #1 WR, but he's perfect for a #2, and he's just entering the prime of his career. Should put up at least 1000 yards. Good YAC guy, nice balance with Calvin.

EDIT: Great punt returner, too. And I like going with a veteran at the WR spot -- it's still a position in the NFL that takes a few years to develop.

March 13th, 2014, 9:20 am
Rookie Player of the Year

Blueskies wrote:
I think this is an amazing pick up. He's not a #1 WR, but he's perfect for a #2, and he's just entering the prime of his career. Should put up at least 1000 yards. Good YAC guy, nice balance with Calvin.

EDIT: Great punt returner, too. And I like going with a veteran at the WR spot -- it's still a position in the NFL that takes a few years to develop.

He's also one of the absolute best in terms of holding onto the ball. Won't that be a nice change!

March 13th, 2014, 9:33 am
Div 1 - Starter

Have to give Mayhew props for this signing. He got Tate for less (both total contract and guaranteed money) than Decker got from the Jets, and I think Decker is going to be a bust in New York. Tate and Decker are #2 receivers, and the Jets don't have a Megatron to peel defenders off Decker (who will be considered the #1 receiver for the Jets, unless I'm mistaken).

March 13th, 2014, 11:23 am
Hall of Fame Player

I tuned in late this morning on a conversation between Ross Tucker and Booger McFarland on Sirius NFL. Radio. But, they were talking as if Detroit also offered a 2 year deal to Decker. So, we tried to get both of them. I also heard a sound bite from Antwan Bathea saying 6 teams gave him an offer. Detroit was one of them. So, we have tried to address the Safety need also.

March 13th, 2014, 10:51 pm
QB Coach

Quote:
Tate's signing bonus is $8 million and his base salaries are $1.5 million (2014); $3.75 million (2015); $4.75 million (2016); $6 million (2017) and $7 million (2018).

Tate will have a cap number of $3.1 million in 2014, $5.35 million in 2015; $6.35 million in 2016; $7.6 million in 2017 and $8.6 million in 2018. Other than Tate's signing bonus, there are no other bonuses or incentives mentioned in his contract.

Tate's base salary is fully guaranteed for 2014. In 2015, $1 million of his base salary is fully guaranteed and $2.75 million is guaranteeed for injury. The entire base salary will be fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2015 league year. He has nothing guaranteed in the final three seasons of the contract.

Breakdown of Tate's deal. Not too bad.

March 14th, 2014, 1:37 am
League MVP

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Quote:
Tate's signing bonus is $8 million and his base salaries are $1.5 million (2014); $3.75 million (2015); $4.75 million (2016); $6 million (2017) and $7 million (2018).

Tate will have a cap number of $3.1 million in 2014, $5.35 million in 2015; $6.35 million in 2016; $7.6 million in 2017 and $8.6 million in 2018. Other than Tate's signing bonus, there are no other bonuses or incentives mentioned in his contract.

Tate's base salary is fully guaranteed for 2014. In 2015, $1 million of his base salary is fully guaranteed and $2.75 million is guaranteeed for injury. The entire base salary will be fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2015 league year. He has nothing guaranteed in the final three seasons of the contract.

not a bad signing but decker for $5 million more over 5 years was attainable. might ve also taken the lions out of the pettigrew sweepstakes - his re-signing is a big mistake

March 14th, 2014, 8:32 am
Heisman Winner

The Legend wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Quote:

not a bad signing but decker for $5 million more over 5 years was attainable. might ve also taken the lions out of the pettigrew sweepstakes - his re-signing is a big mistake

I'm not convinced that Decker is a better football player. He can get lost in the shuffle against physical corners and he never impressed me after the catch. Tate is a physical guy with a competitive drive that reminds me of Steve Smith with less baggage.

Last edited by yostevo on March 14th, 2014, 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 14th, 2014, 10:06 am
Pop Warner Vet

IDK why people are so high on Decker, he was average and only came into the spotlight last year because Denver was so hot. And wouldn't we be looking at Evans' performance in traffic as ideal for a slot receiver?

Watkins would've been great but there is no way they should consider trading up. Our starters are almost set right now. We should trade back for extra picks. Detroit is playing this very smart, not overpaying on the first day and setting ourselves up for a smart draft

March 14th, 2014, 12:02 pm
Div 1 - Starter

I like the Tate pickup.

I also think they should not hesitate to draft a WR at 10 if a first rate talent is available. I'm not sold on Calvin Johnson's longevity (with all of his knee problems) and a guy drafted this year would be coming into his prime in 3 or 4 years when CJ is either declining or retiring.

I think of it this way. How much better would adding a third talented wide receiver make the offense compared to how much better would adding a talented cornerback or DE make the defense? I think we'd get better value on the offense. Let's strike pass coverage fear into opposing defenses and open up the box for Reggie Bush and Joique Bell.

March 14th, 2014, 1:10 pm
Team MVP

Growler wrote:
I like the Tate pickup.

I also think they should not hesitate to draft a WR at 10 if a first rate talent is available. I'm not sold on Calvin Johnson's longevity (with all of his knee problems) and a guy drafted this year would be coming into his prime in 3 or 4 years when CJ is either declining or retiring.

I think of it this way. How much better would adding a third talented wide receiver make the offense compared to how much better would adding a talented cornerback or DE make the defense? I think we'd get better value on the offense. Let's strike pass coverage fear into opposing defenses and open up the box for Reggie Bush and Joique Bell.

I agree, except I want Pryor at 10. If not him, then WR. Evans id be okay with, Watkins would be very exciting except wouldnt be a smart "team first" move.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

March 14th, 2014, 5:22 pm

To those that think we're set at WR.... Think Caldwell, think Peyton, Indy offense, think Denver offense with Peyton (Decker/Welker/Thomas) and think NO offense. They still need a great prospect for this offense to be on the same level.

March 14th, 2014, 5:24 pm
Team MVP

njroar wrote:
To those that think we're set at WR.... Think Caldwell, think Peyton, Indy offense, think Denver offense with Peyton (Decker/Welker/Thomas) and think NO offense. They still need a great prospect for this offense to be on the same level.

I absolutely agree. I would rather they go safety at 10, but i dont think thats what they will do. I still think a move up for Watkins is still a strong possibility.

March 14th, 2014, 5:29 pm
NFL Veteran

kdsberman wrote:
njroar wrote:

I absolutely agree. I would rather they go safety at 10, but i dont think thats what they will do. I still think a move up for Watkins is still a strong possibility.

I just can't get on board with Pryor. That kid is totally one dimensional and as good as his hitting is I don't think it brings good value for the 10th overall pick. I will say he intrigues me more than Ha Ha though, at least when you see Pryor's hitting ability it actually can make you go wow. I don't see anything particularly special with Ha Ha, he's just a really solid player with no great qualities. Basically I'm out on safeties at #10.

March 14th, 2014, 6:05 pm

The safeties are late first round quality, not early first. There's just too much talent ahead of them.

March 14th, 2014, 6:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next