View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 4:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Lance Moore? 
Pop Warner Vet

Post Lance Moore?
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140307/SPORTS0101/303070079/1126/rss14

Add one more name to the list of potential wide receiver targets for the Lions in free agency.

Lance Moore, who spent the past nine seasons with the Saints, tweeted a goodbye to New Orleans on Friday morning, indicating he would be cut. Moore would've cost a reported $5.1 million against the salary cap in 2014, which was too expensive for a Saints team trying to clear cap space.

The Lions are desperate for wide receiver help, and new offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi spent the past seven seasons with Moore in New Orleans.

According to former Colts general manager Bill Polian, Lions coach Jim Caldwell will look for receivers who are smart, fast, physical and have good hands. Moore has proven to be a savvy receiver during his career, but at age 30 and 5-foot-9, 190 pounds, he may not fit the fast and physical description to a T.

Last season Moore had 37 receptions for 457 yards and two touchdowns, a disappointing follow-up to his 1,041-yard season in 2012.

Moore also had a drop rate of 9.76 percent last season, according to Pro Football Focus, and 9.72 percent in 2012, which shows his hands are about average.

However, the free agent market is full of No. 2 and No. 3 receivers this year, so Moore may be available for cheap. Moore would also seamlessly fill the slot position currently vacant due to the release of Nate Burleson last month.

If the Lions can't score a top-line free agent receiver like Hakeem Nicks (Giants) or Golden Tate (Seahawks), both of whom have fit Polian's description over their careers, factors like familiarity could come into play.

In addition to Moore, Lombardi has ties to Saints free-agent receiver Robert Meachem, and Caldwell knows Jacoby Jones after coaching him the past two years in Baltimore.

Meachem, though, struggled the past two seasons, including a 2012 campaign in San Diego with 207 receiving yards. Meanwhile, Jones' career-best receiving season produced just 562 yards, and he's had more success as a returner, a role less important with the Lions likely bringing back exclusive-rights free agent Jeremy Ross.

Free agency begins Tuesday at 4 p.m.

jkatzenstein@detroitnews.com
twitter.com/jkatzenstein

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2014 ... z2vIhk4b00

March 7th, 2014, 1:54 pm
Heisman Winner

Post Re: Lance Moore?
I just got on here to post the same thing. I really like this fit for us. He'd be a low maintenance vet with some real good slot ability. If the price was right, I'd give him a 2 year deal with a team option for a third. Also, Lombardi just got hired so it be would a seamless offensive transition for Lance.

((((Paging Mr. Mayhew)))))

March 7th, 2014, 2:33 pm
RIP Killer

No thank you, 30+ YO WRs (he will be 31 before the season starts) already on the decline shouldn't be a target - they should be a last resort if very cheap. There are much better and younger options out there that will probably be in a similar price range.

March 7th, 2014, 3:28 pm
Profile WWW
NFL Veteran

Moore spent most of last season hurt and has already hit the 30 yr old mark. Like Pablo said this should only be an option later in FA as a last resort.

March 7th, 2014, 5:08 pm
Heisman Winner

Would I rather have Emmanuel Sanders or some of the other young WRs? Sure. But you will pay for them and that will limit everything else you do. If you think that one of the rookie WRs from a potential draft pick are going to come in and be instant difference makers, history has shown us repeatedly that doesn't happen. Are we in a win now mode or are we in a win in a couple years mode when Calvin will be on the decline?

My ideal situation is to get a vet WR who can step in and immediately pay dividends during Calvin's prime. Also, take a WR in this draft to step in around year 2-3 when the vet we rent runs his course.

March 7th, 2014, 7:25 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

I wouldn't count out Hakeem Nicks signing with the Lions. He just joined Suh and signed on with Jay-Z's crew. I don't think the price tag is going to be as high as he is hoping. I'd come at him with a four year/ $30 million contract with $10 million signing bonus and a big base salary of say $12 million in year three. That deal would keep his cap number managable for the first couple of years and give the Lions a couple seasons to see if it would be worth restructuring his deal with an extension, if not they cut him and take the $5 million cap hit. It could take a little more or a little less but it will likely be in that ballpark.

Last edited by sweetd20 on March 7th, 2014, 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 7th, 2014, 8:53 pm
Team MVP

Would prefer youth.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 7th, 2014, 9:02 pm
RIP Killer

If he comes for less than $5M over 2 yrs, he'd be a much better option than Durham

March 8th, 2014, 2:09 am
Heisman Winner

sweetd20 wrote:
I wouldn't count out Hakeem Nicks signing with the Lions. He just joined Suh and signed on with Jay-Z's crew. I don't think the price tag is going to be as high as he is hoping. I'd come at him with a four year/ $30 million contract with $10 million signing bonus and a big base salary of say $12 million in year three. That deal would keep his cap number managable for the first couple of years and give the Lions a couple seasons to see if it would be worth restructuring his deal with an extension, if not they cut him and take the $5 million cap hit. It could take a little more or a little less but it will likely be in that ballpark.

Nicks is not the answer. A WR with chronic foot and leg problems is something to avoid. I get that he's talented but keep in mind last year was a contract year for him and he was average at best in yards and scored ZERO tds. I know Eli struggled but I've been watching Nicks his whole career from a fantasy perspective and injuries have slowed even further a WR that was never a true burner. Think Herman Moore towards the end of his career.

March 8th, 2014, 9:17 am
League MVP

moore is a declining player with regards to speed and ability to get open. he s a burleson like option in that the only reason he d be coming on board is familiarity with the scheme. in terms of physical talent he is barely an upgrade and his name recognition will mean he ll be overpaid. the lions need someone that is capable of big time production opposite calvin.

March 9th, 2014, 12:23 pm
RIP Killer

There are some rumors the Lions are looking at Emmauel Sanders from Pittsburgh.

March 10th, 2014, 10:28 am
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

Pablo wrote:
There are some rumors the Lions are looking at Emmauel Sanders from Pittsburgh.

That would be a smart addition, imo.

March 10th, 2014, 5:36 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I have heard the Lions will pretty much be spectators for the first few days and let the market cool off. Then they will try for Golden Tate, WR, Seattle and Chris Clemons, Safety, Miami Dolphins.

I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on Walter Thurmond III, CB, Seattle also.

March 10th, 2014, 6:20 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Clemons has been the name I've been interested in since about November. He isn't an elite player but is a very good S and he will likely sign a deal similar to the one Quin signed last season. As far as Tate goes I hope they stay away. He's on the smaller side except for his ego, where he thinks he's better than he actually is and will likely want more than his play warrants.

March 10th, 2014, 6:35 pm
Team MVP

Yeah no thanks to Tate.

Not that I know any more than the next guy, but I believe it will be the opposite. I think the Lions, if they plan on making a splash, will splash early.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 10th, 2014, 7:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]