View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 1:56 am



Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Remaining Needs 
Author Message
QB Coach

Joined: January 13th, 2006, 4:18 am
Posts: 3216
Location: Maryland
Post Remaining Needs
Ok so as I mentioned in the Pettigrew thread, it looks like Mayhew is setting us up for BPA in the draft and possibly a move up for Watkins or Clowney. If we didn't have to give up more than say our 2nd round pick I'd be ok with a move up for a talent like that.

We still need a backup QB but that will likely be a vet. Another big WR could be added (over 6 foot). We can land a decent one probably anywhere in the first 4 rounds. We need a young center to groom behind Raiola and more Oline depth. Hopefully we can get another Warford level talent in the mid rounds. As we move to defense, we appear set for this year on the d-line, unless an amazing player falls to us, or we move up for JC. We'll probably need another DE next year however. A pass rushing LB is a desire but not really a need. We could use another corner but it looks like they're content to roll with what we have. Maybe resign Mathis or another vet of that caliber. We need a starting safety. Even if Ihedigbo signs, we need a rookie that can challenge him for playing time. Oh yeah and a kicker. If we can add another 4 really solid players to this roster we're set. Looks like only 1 starter is still needed, even though we could upgrade at a few positions.

This is a draft I'd like to see. Give us some more young line depth (Sims is a FA next year so we'll be looking for a guard soon too) and possibly a new starter at safety and WR. I'd be ok with swapping round 1 and 2 also if they think Mike Evans is the answer.

1. Secondary 2. WR 3.Oline (C or G) 4.Secondary 6.Oline 7.Kicker


March 17th, 2014, 10:24 am
Profile
Div 1 - Starter

Joined: December 13th, 2005, 2:09 pm
Posts: 530
Post Re: Remaining Needs
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
... it looks like Mayhew is setting us up for BPA in the draft and possibly a move up for Watkins or Clowney.


Okay, I think the idea of the Lions moving up to draft Watkins is ludicrous. This draft is too deep, with WAY too many great prospects, for any team to consider giving up picks to move up. It would probably take moving up to the #2 spot to pretty much guarantee Watkins will still be there (and there's no sure bet that Houston won't take Watkins to pair with THEIR own #1 in Andre Johnson).

Better the Lions get what they need for solid starters during free agency, and then go for a great prospect in the #10 spot.

_________________
If God isn't a Lions fan, then why is the sky Honolulu Blue?


March 18th, 2014, 1:04 am
Profile
Pop Warner Vet

Joined: March 11th, 2010, 4:39 pm
Posts: 127
Post Re: Remaining Needs
I think it would be a good idea to trade back and take Ha Ha. Moar picks would be great, we gave up a 5th rounder (but did we get a compensory pick to replace?) so adding a pick would be good.

I lobbied for Bryan Stork and read he didn't participate in combine competitions. Not sure why but he would be a good pick and available later. I heard they were checking out the Arkansas kicker which would be a great pick up

_________________
Slow is smooth, smooth is steady, steady is fast!


March 18th, 2014, 1:08 pm
Profile
QB Coach

Joined: January 13th, 2006, 4:18 am
Posts: 3216
Location: Maryland
Post Re: Remaining Needs
I think unless a top 3 player (Clowney, Mack, Watkins) fell to 10 most on the board would support a move back. However, I was saying I think Mayhew is trying to position the team to do whatever he wants in the draft. All but two starters are filled S and K, so if he believes one of the players is an all world can't miss talent, he could trade up.

I'd love to see us add 4 more pieces in this draft similar to what we did last year. If we get a few role players this team will start looking more and more like a contender.


March 19th, 2014, 1:22 am
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3698
Location: WSU
Post Re: Remaining Needs
Starter needs:

CB - Lions appear to be relying on a bounceback year from Houston and a massive improvement from Slay. It could be argued that 2 starters are needed and with how much the nickel package is needed, maybe even 3.

S - Waiting for Ihedigbo to sign but still could use someone better in coverage.

OLB - Lions really got away with only 2 starting LBs last year, used Palmer as a role player and used a lot of nickel. Possible starter need

DE - Ansah is a starter. Jones may be a starter if healthy, probably better off as a DT. 1 starter need

Offense

WR - The way its shaping up, the Lions appear to need 3 starting caliber WRs. So far they have 2.

RT - Is Waddle the answer?

FB - looking for a lead blocker.

QB - need a backup

K - none


Bottome line - 2 of the top 3 picks should be on defense, one player in the secondary, one passrusher and the other player should be a WR or an OT


March 19th, 2014, 2:21 am
Profile
Varsity Captain

Joined: September 28th, 2011, 5:57 pm
Posts: 304
Post Re: Remaining Needs
I'd rather see that 3rd pick used for a Center or Guard. We need Dom's replacement now and Robbie Sims will not last for ever. We have a decent OLine but if we don't have some young plug and play guys we might be back at square one.


March 19th, 2014, 3:42 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10302
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: Remaining Needs
If they do take a OT at 10, they slide waddle over to LG

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


March 19th, 2014, 4:24 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7443
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Remaining Needs
conversion02 wrote:
If they do take a OT at 10, they slide waddle over to LG


I agree. Sims is a FA next year anyway. So, save a few million and let him be a FA this year.


March 19th, 2014, 5:10 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9494
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Remaining Needs
If they take an OT at 10, he'd better be a LT!

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


March 20th, 2014, 8:59 am
Profile WWW
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3698
Location: WSU
Post Re: Remaining Needs
conversion02 wrote:
If they do take a OT at 10, they slide waddle over to LG


im not sure waddle can move the way a guard typically would, reiff maybe could play guard also


March 20th, 2014, 10:24 am
Profile
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1387
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Remaining Needs
If they pick up an OT I see them just turning Waddle into the first OT off the bench. Sims has been playing five seasons next to Raiola and has played pretty well the whole time. I just don't see any reason to screw with that when you have no idea how waddle would play at OG. The Line played really well last season there is no reason really to change personnel. If an OT did fall they should trade back. There are always teams willing to move up for a top tier LT prospect.


March 20th, 2014, 11:32 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7443
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Remaining Needs
rao wrote:
If they pick up an OT I see them just turning Waddle into the first OT off the bench. Sims has been playing five seasons next to Raiola and has played pretty well the whole time. I just don't see any reason to screw with that when you have no idea how waddle would play at OG. The Line played really well last season there is no reason really to change personnel. If an OT did fall they should trade back. There are always teams willing to move up for a top tier LT prospect.


I agree with this also. Opportunity abounds for us in this years draft. I can see so many different directions we could go and have it work for us.


March 20th, 2014, 11:36 am
Profile
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1387
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Remaining Needs
BillySims wrote:
rao wrote:
If they pick up an OT I see them just turning Waddle into the first OT off the bench. Sims has been playing five seasons next to Raiola and has played pretty well the whole time. I just don't see any reason to screw with that when you have no idea how waddle would play at OG. The Line played really well last season there is no reason really to change personnel. If an OT did fall they should trade back. There are always teams willing to move up for a top tier LT prospect.


I agree with this also. Opportunity abounds for us in this years draft. I can see so many different directions we could go and have it work for us.


For me I have 4 ways I'd like to see them go. Trade up for Watkins if it's reasonable, Evans, Barr, or trade down and take whatever BPA is at that point. I wouldn't touch any of the DBs without a trade down, I don't think any of them are top 10 talent. Ebron some how keeps getting his lack of focus swept under the rug and I think he will be a frustrating player. With Mack I think you just get a roleplayer.


March 20th, 2014, 11:51 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9891
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Remaining Needs
JL wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
... it looks like Mayhew is setting us up for BPA in the draft and possibly a move up for Watkins or Clowney.


Okay, I think the idea of the Lions moving up to draft Watkins is ludicrous. This draft is too deep, with WAY too many great prospects, for any team to consider giving up picks to move up. It would probably take moving up to the #2 spot to pretty much guarantee Watkins will still be there (and there's no sure bet that Houston won't take Watkins to pair with THEIR own #1 in Andre Johnson).

Better the Lions get what they need for solid starters during free agency, and then go for a great prospect in the #10 spot.


Would you think it was ludicrous for the Lions to move up if it were a Calvin Johnson type player? Probably not. Watkins may not be that guy, but he is head and shoulders the best WR available in this draft. The Lions tried to move up to get Patrick Peterson in a draft that was deemed "deep" as well, and it was a solid attempt. Securing a top notch WR to play opposite Calvin would be a GREAT move. But certainly not at any cost. Last year Miami moved up for merely a second round pick. I think Watkins is worth that.

Oh.....and sorry. Andre is no longer a #1 receiver. Health issues and age have made him a subpar #1, but still a pretty solid #2 receiver.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


March 21st, 2014, 5:32 pm
Profile
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3827
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Remaining Needs
m2karateman wrote:
JL wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
... it looks like Mayhew is setting us up for BPA in the draft and possibly a move up for Watkins or Clowney.


Okay, I think the idea of the Lions moving up to draft Watkins is ludicrous. This draft is too deep, with WAY too many great prospects, for any team to consider giving up picks to move up. It would probably take moving up to the #2 spot to pretty much guarantee Watkins will still be there (and there's no sure bet that Houston won't take Watkins to pair with THEIR own #1 in Andre Johnson).

Better the Lions get what they need for solid starters during free agency, and then go for a great prospect in the #10 spot.


Would you think it was ludicrous for the Lions to move up if it were a Calvin Johnson type player? Probably not. Watkins may not be that guy, but he is head and shoulders the best WR available in this draft. The Lions tried to move up to get Patrick Peterson in a draft that was deemed "deep" as well, and it was a solid attempt. Securing a top notch WR to play opposite Calvin would be a GREAT move. But certainly not at any cost. Last year Miami moved up for merely a second round pick. I think Watkins is worth that.

Oh.....and sorry. Andre is no longer a #1 receiver. Health issues and age have made him a subpar #1, but still a pretty solid #2 receiver.


Houston looks like they will trade Schuab. That puts them in the market for a QB...

Cross your fingers boys!!!

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


March 21st, 2014, 5:35 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.