View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 1:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Remaining Needs 
QB Coach

Post Remaining Needs
Ok so as I mentioned in the Pettigrew thread, it looks like Mayhew is setting us up for BPA in the draft and possibly a move up for Watkins or Clowney. If we didn't have to give up more than say our 2nd round pick I'd be ok with a move up for a talent like that.

We still need a backup QB but that will likely be a vet. Another big WR could be added (over 6 foot). We can land a decent one probably anywhere in the first 4 rounds. We need a young center to groom behind Raiola and more Oline depth. Hopefully we can get another Warford level talent in the mid rounds. As we move to defense, we appear set for this year on the d-line, unless an amazing player falls to us, or we move up for JC. We'll probably need another DE next year however. A pass rushing LB is a desire but not really a need. We could use another corner but it looks like they're content to roll with what we have. Maybe resign Mathis or another vet of that caliber. We need a starting safety. Even if Ihedigbo signs, we need a rookie that can challenge him for playing time. Oh yeah and a kicker. If we can add another 4 really solid players to this roster we're set. Looks like only 1 starter is still needed, even though we could upgrade at a few positions.

This is a draft I'd like to see. Give us some more young line depth (Sims is a FA next year so we'll be looking for a guard soon too) and possibly a new starter at safety and WR. I'd be ok with swapping round 1 and 2 also if they think Mike Evans is the answer.

1. Secondary 2. WR 3.Oline (C or G) 4.Secondary 6.Oline 7.Kicker

March 17th, 2014, 10:24 am
Div 1 - Starter

Post Re: Remaining Needs
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
... it looks like Mayhew is setting us up for BPA in the draft and possibly a move up for Watkins or Clowney.

Okay, I think the idea of the Lions moving up to draft Watkins is ludicrous. This draft is too deep, with WAY too many great prospects, for any team to consider giving up picks to move up. It would probably take moving up to the #2 spot to pretty much guarantee Watkins will still be there (and there's no sure bet that Houston won't take Watkins to pair with THEIR own #1 in Andre Johnson).

Better the Lions get what they need for solid starters during free agency, and then go for a great prospect in the #10 spot.

March 18th, 2014, 1:04 am
Pop Warner Vet

I think it would be a good idea to trade back and take Ha Ha. Moar picks would be great, we gave up a 5th rounder (but did we get a compensory pick to replace?) so adding a pick would be good.

I lobbied for Bryan Stork and read he didn't participate in combine competitions. Not sure why but he would be a good pick and available later. I heard they were checking out the Arkansas kicker which would be a great pick up

March 18th, 2014, 1:08 pm
QB Coach

I think unless a top 3 player (Clowney, Mack, Watkins) fell to 10 most on the board would support a move back. However, I was saying I think Mayhew is trying to position the team to do whatever he wants in the draft. All but two starters are filled S and K, so if he believes one of the players is an all world can't miss talent, he could trade up.

I'd love to see us add 4 more pieces in this draft similar to what we did last year. If we get a few role players this team will start looking more and more like a contender.

March 19th, 2014, 1:22 am
League MVP

Starter needs:

CB - Lions appear to be relying on a bounceback year from Houston and a massive improvement from Slay. It could be argued that 2 starters are needed and with how much the nickel package is needed, maybe even 3.

S - Waiting for Ihedigbo to sign but still could use someone better in coverage.

OLB - Lions really got away with only 2 starting LBs last year, used Palmer as a role player and used a lot of nickel. Possible starter need

DE - Ansah is a starter. Jones may be a starter if healthy, probably better off as a DT. 1 starter need

Offense

WR - The way its shaping up, the Lions appear to need 3 starting caliber WRs. So far they have 2.

RT - Is Waddle the answer?

FB - looking for a lead blocker.

QB - need a backup

K - none

Bottome line - 2 of the top 3 picks should be on defense, one player in the secondary, one passrusher and the other player should be a WR or an OT

March 19th, 2014, 2:21 am
Varsity Captain

I'd rather see that 3rd pick used for a Center or Guard. We need Dom's replacement now and Robbie Sims will not last for ever. We have a decent OLine but if we don't have some young plug and play guys we might be back at square one.

March 19th, 2014, 3:42 pm
RIP Killer

If they do take a OT at 10, they slide waddle over to LG

March 19th, 2014, 4:24 pm
Hall of Fame Player

conversion02 wrote:

I agree. Sims is a FA next year anyway. So, save a few million and let him be a FA this year.

March 19th, 2014, 5:10 pm
RIP Killer

If they take an OT at 10, he'd better be a LT!

March 20th, 2014, 8:59 am
Profile WWW
League MVP

conversion02 wrote:

im not sure waddle can move the way a guard typically would, reiff maybe could play guard also

March 20th, 2014, 10:24 am
NFL Veteran

If they pick up an OT I see them just turning Waddle into the first OT off the bench. Sims has been playing five seasons next to Raiola and has played pretty well the whole time. I just don't see any reason to screw with that when you have no idea how waddle would play at OG. The Line played really well last season there is no reason really to change personnel. If an OT did fall they should trade back. There are always teams willing to move up for a top tier LT prospect.

March 20th, 2014, 11:32 am
Hall of Fame Player

rao wrote:
If they pick up an OT I see them just turning Waddle into the first OT off the bench. Sims has been playing five seasons next to Raiola and has played pretty well the whole time. I just don't see any reason to screw with that when you have no idea how waddle would play at OG. The Line played really well last season there is no reason really to change personnel. If an OT did fall they should trade back. There are always teams willing to move up for a top tier LT prospect.

I agree with this also. Opportunity abounds for us in this years draft. I can see so many different directions we could go and have it work for us.

March 20th, 2014, 11:36 am
NFL Veteran

BillySims wrote:
rao wrote:

I agree with this also. Opportunity abounds for us in this years draft. I can see so many different directions we could go and have it work for us.

For me I have 4 ways I'd like to see them go. Trade up for Watkins if it's reasonable, Evans, Barr, or trade down and take whatever BPA is at that point. I wouldn't touch any of the DBs without a trade down, I don't think any of them are top 10 talent. Ebron some how keeps getting his lack of focus swept under the rug and I think he will be a frustrating player. With Mack I think you just get a roleplayer.

March 20th, 2014, 11:51 am
RIP Killer

JL wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
... it looks like Mayhew is setting us up for BPA in the draft and possibly a move up for Watkins or Clowney.

Okay, I think the idea of the Lions moving up to draft Watkins is ludicrous. This draft is too deep, with WAY too many great prospects, for any team to consider giving up picks to move up. It would probably take moving up to the #2 spot to pretty much guarantee Watkins will still be there (and there's no sure bet that Houston won't take Watkins to pair with THEIR own #1 in Andre Johnson).

Better the Lions get what they need for solid starters during free agency, and then go for a great prospect in the #10 spot.

Would you think it was ludicrous for the Lions to move up if it were a Calvin Johnson type player? Probably not. Watkins may not be that guy, but he is head and shoulders the best WR available in this draft. The Lions tried to move up to get Patrick Peterson in a draft that was deemed "deep" as well, and it was a solid attempt. Securing a top notch WR to play opposite Calvin would be a GREAT move. But certainly not at any cost. Last year Miami moved up for merely a second round pick. I think Watkins is worth that.

Oh.....and sorry. Andre is no longer a #1 receiver. Health issues and age have made him a subpar #1, but still a pretty solid #2 receiver.

March 21st, 2014, 5:32 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

m2karateman wrote:
JL wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

Would you think it was ludicrous for the Lions to move up if it were a Calvin Johnson type player? Probably not. Watkins may not be that guy, but he is head and shoulders the best WR available in this draft. The Lions tried to move up to get Patrick Peterson in a draft that was deemed "deep" as well, and it was a solid attempt. Securing a top notch WR to play opposite Calvin would be a GREAT move. But certainly not at any cost. Last year Miami moved up for merely a second round pick. I think Watkins is worth that.

Oh.....and sorry. Andre is no longer a #1 receiver. Health issues and age have made him a subpar #1, but still a pretty solid #2 receiver.

Houston looks like they will trade Schuab. That puts them in the market for a QB...

Cross your fingers boys!!!

March 21st, 2014, 5:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next