View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 24th, 2014, 4:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Suh's contract status 
QB Coach

Post Re: Suh's contract status
Blueskies wrote:
Anyone know more about how tag&trade works? It doesn't seem to happen very often. Not sure how it works in relation to the cap.

The tag money is basically a base salary, so if the player is traded, it won't count against the cap of the trading team. So that $26M would come off as soon as he's traded.

Its a bit more complicated for Suh because he counts 9M against the cap next year if he is on the team or not because that money was pushed to next year from all the restructurings.

July 30th, 2014, 9:03 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

What is the tag for Kickers?

July 31st, 2014, 12:02 am
All State

Let him walk. It’s good that we’re not going to read a weekly contract negotiation status article and they are smart in tabling the discussion now, but it basically means he’s all but going to the open market.

Good luck on another team. The Seahawks don’t have money for you. The 49ers don’t have money for you. The Broncos don't have money for you. The Patriots don’t have money for you. The Steelers don’t have money for you. The Packers definitely won’t pay a huge contract for you.

If you really want to cash in on your next deal then have fun being a Jaguar, Brown, Jet, or Bengal. If you really are lucky the Eagles. They just let DeSean Jackson walk though so high dollar players with attitude problems aren’t what they want either. Those are the only teams that would have the money to pay you and they probably won’t get you a ring either.

I know there would be a significant drop in talent if Suh is gone and I hope it doesn’t have the same effect as losing Shaun Rogers did, but I look at the money Suh is getting and think of the other core needs that his money could be paying for. This year in free agency if he wasn’t on the team they could have got Jarius Byrd, Eric Decker, and maybe a CB. All other needs that needed to be filled and couldn’t because he wasn’t getting his deal done. I can justify every penny for Calvin Johnson, and more or less for Stafford if he shows more consistency, but I can’t support Suh’s salary on top of the other 2.

July 31st, 2014, 12:11 am
Div 1 - Starter

DayDreamer wrote:
Just as I expected, this whole "We'll make it to the superbowl this season" thinking is what's to blame. Anyhow, the best thing Mahew can do now is to wait and see if some team will offer something for him as soon as the season ends. If not, tag him and trade him for whatever we can get.

If we do a Franchise Tag-and-Trade move, they could trade him to the highest bidder and wouldn't be on the hook for what he would have to be paid under the franchise tag if they found a trade suitor?

July 31st, 2014, 1:07 pm
Div 1 - Starter

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
I think a tag and trade could be possible if he really doesn't want to be here. As much trouble as he gets in it'll suck to see him playing for someone else. After I've had time to think about it, maybe he just wants to see what the new staff does and how they bring the team together before committing long term.

If's funny you should mention that. I was kind of thinking the same thing. Also, perhaps the new staff wants to spend some time with him before committing gobs of money to signing him long-term.

July 31st, 2014, 1:13 pm
Div 1 - Starter

DayDreamer wrote:
My guess is, it would be cheaper if they let Suh test free agency and then try to match whatever offer he gets.

Everyone assumes that Suh is gone and that some team will offer him a completely ridiculous amount of money. What happens if he becomes a free agent, tests free agency, and the Lions are willing to price match whatever anyone else offers or have already offered him more than what any other team offers?

How many teams are going to line up to pay a DT $12 million/year?

Suh's a great player, but how big of a production drop off is it between him and a player earning $4/5 million/year + other players that can be signed for the difference? Unfortunately for Suh, he's a DT and not a QB.

July 31st, 2014, 1:17 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Growler wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:
Just as I expected, this whole "We'll make it to the superbowl this season" thinking is what's to blame. Anyhow, the best thing Mahew can do now is to wait and see if some team will offer something for him as soon as the season ends. If not, tag him and trade him for whatever we can get.

If we do a Franchise Tag-and-Trade move, they could trade him to the highest bidder and wouldn't be on the hook for what he would have to be paid under the franchise tag if they found a trade suitor?

The only problem is that Suh would have to agree to terms with the trading team...but what if he wants to play under the franchise tag for $26 million/year? Could we end up getting stuck with him? Could a franchise tag potentially backfire?

July 31st, 2014, 1:21 pm
Heisman Winner

DayDreamer wrote:
My guess is, it would be cheaper if they let Suh test free agency and then try to match whatever offer he gets. It is a gamble, but it's better than a 26 mill cap hit. I don't think we'll get anything more than a 2nd rounder if he's tagged and traded.

Look at Ngata's contract http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Haloti%20Ngata&Position=34DE&Team=Ravens

He's the highest paid D-lineman in the league, and his even contract seems more tolerable than Suh's tag. If I didn't know any better, I'd think Suh wants to get tagged for a year, make his money and then go long term, he seems the type to take such a risk.

Growler, look at the second paragraph of my post. I do think a franchise tag might backfire, letting him test FA and then making a counter offer (using whatever good will they have generated with him so far) is the best route to take. The only drawback with this route is the Fairley situation, unless we know for a fact if our No.1 DT is staying or going, making a decision about Fairley will be tough.

July 31st, 2014, 2:41 pm
Team MVP

In other DT news, Nick Fairley was just given a 6-month sentence for his 2012 DUI. Great.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

August 1st, 2014, 11:18 am
Div 1 - Starter

kdsberman wrote:
In other DT news, Nick Fairley was just given a 6-month sentence for his 2012 DUI. Great.

What a dumbass. At least he didn't punch his wife and drag her out of an elevator.

August 2nd, 2014, 2:35 pm
Team MVP

Growler wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

What a dumbass. At least he didn't punch his wife and drag her out of an elevator.

Hey apparently the NFL accepts that and you only get 2 games for that.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

August 2nd, 2014, 9:56 pm
Team MVP

Well, I just sold my Suh jersey to someone on Craigslist. I dont want to own a jersey of him if hes on someone elses team. And I think hes gonna be.

August 13th, 2014, 8:09 pm
Varsity 1st Team

Well he's on the Lions now so I hoope he has a great year.

Frok

August 13th, 2014, 10:03 pm
Team MVP

frok wrote:
Well he's on the Lions now so I hoope he has a great year.

Frok

Yes he is and so do I, but when money can be made Im making it.

August 14th, 2014, 8:24 am
Heisman Winner

Apparently, JJ Watt just signed a 6 year 100 mill contract. Ford Jr better keep his check book handy if he wants Suh here long term.

In my honest opinion, JJ Watt is a better/more useful player than Suh is, and their pay should reflect that. But I realize contracts don't work that way, alas.

September 2nd, 2014, 3:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next