View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2017, 5:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
 Suh's contract status 
Butkus Award Winner

Post Re: Suh's contract status
DayDreamer wrote:
Apparently, JJ Watt just signed a 6 year 100 mill contract. Ford Jr better keep his check book handy if he wants Suh here long term.

In my honest opinion, JJ Watt is a better/more useful player than Suh is, and their pay should reflect that. But I realize contracts don't work that way, alas.

Oh well. It was nice having Suh while he was here. He's a great player, but I don't think a DT is worth almost $20 million/year. Maybe we could sign an above average DT for $5 million/year and then use the extra $15 million pear year to sign two cornerbacks, etc. The problem with shelling out so much damned money for a single position is that you're screwed if he ever gets hurt, aside from its being too much to invest in DT.

September 2nd, 2014, 4:25 am
Player of the Year - Offense

We have a strong linebacker group and will probably lose both of our DTs in the offseason. Anyone else think it makes sense to move to the 3-4 after this season?

"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell

September 2nd, 2014, 11:08 am
Off. Coordinator – Jim Bob Cooter

thelomasbrowns wrote:
We have a strong linebacker group and will probably lose both of our DTs in the offseason. Anyone else think it makes sense to move to the 3-4 after this season?

I've been wondering the same thing myself. Isnt that the prefered style of our current D coordinator? (it's hard to say that with a certainty since he hasn't been a D coordinator before...)

September 2nd, 2014, 12:37 pm
Team President - Rod Wood

regularjoe12 wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

I've been wondering the same thing myself. Isnt that the prefered style of our current D coordinator? (it's hard to say that with a certainty since he hasn't been a D coordinator before...)

hmmmm...projecting to a 3-4 defense.

I dont think they d be in a good position to do it without a lot of additions. Reid I think is there only DT under contract and he doesnt look like a NT to me so he becomes a DE in a 3-4. Jason Jones could probably be a 3-4 DE without much dropoff but Taylor would need to add some weight and strength and probably isnt quite starter material in that scheme. Ansah would probably have to transition to 3-4 but Im not sure how much responsibility he could handle in coverage and would probably need to be a passrusher only. Van Noy is probably a good fit for OLB. Webster would probably have to move to OLB also. I could see Levy inside with maybe Palmer. Tulloch doesnt fit the scheme really at all. Not sure about Whitehead, maybe he could play OLB as he had a DE/OLB role in college. T Lewis would be a reserve ILB.

They would need to find a starting 3-4 DE, and nose tackle and it probably wouldnt be working well until they found one more nice fit at ILB and OLB.

September 2nd, 2014, 1:25 pm
Off. Coordinator – Jim Bob Cooter

The Legend wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

hmmmm...projecting to a 3-4 defense.

I dont think they d be in a good position to do it without a lot of additions. Reid I think is there only DT under contract and he doesnt look like a NT to me so he becomes a DE in a 3-4. Jason Jones could probably be a 3-4 DE without much dropoff but Taylor would need to add some weight and strength and probably isnt quite starter material in that scheme. Ansah would probably have to transition to 3-4 but Im not sure how much responsibility he could handle in coverage and would probably need to be a passrusher only. Van Noy is probably a good fit for OLB. Webster would probably have to move to OLB also. I could see Levy inside with maybe Palmer. Tulloch doesnt fit the scheme really at all. Not sure about Whitehead, maybe he could play OLB as he had a DE/OLB role in college. T Lewis would be a reserve ILB.

They would need to find a starting 3-4 DE, and nose tackle and it probably wouldnt be working well until they found one more nice fit at ILB and OLB.

All of that could easily be done in one offseason. especially with an extra 25 mil that would be released from Suh and Fairly. Im not saying this is what is going to happen, just that this offseason would probably be the best oportunity to do so than we have seen in years. IF thats what we want to do ;)

September 2nd, 2014, 3:07 pm
Team President - Rod Wood

Suh isnt making much less than JJ Watt is supposed to get on that new deal. I dont think anyone should offer Suh more than Watt is getting...I guess what Im saying is that it doesnt appear to me that the Watt deal priced Suh out of the range that the Lions might be willing to pay Suh. I still dont think the Lions should pay him in that range unless the defense really breaks out this year.

September 2nd, 2014, 6:21 pm
Megatron

Quote:
Ndamukong Suh: Agent will decide where I play next year
By Dave Birkett, Detroit Free Press 2:09 p.m. EST December 10, 2014

Detroit Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh will be a free agent after the season, but the all-pro today insisted that his agent, Jimmy Sexton, will make the ultimate decision on where he plays football next year.

"It'll be Jimmy's decision, so we'll go with that," Suh said. "You can call Jimmy if you want to."

Asked whether he meant that Sexton will pick the team he plays for next year, Suh said, "Probably will. Yup."

Reached by the Free Press today, Sexton declined to comment on Suh's contract talks.

Suh's back-and-forth with reporters today came when he was asked during his weekly news conference about the possibility of playing his final home game as a Lion on Sunday, against the Minnesota Vikings (4:25 p.m., Fox).

Suh's rookie contract voids five days after the Super Bowl, and he hopes to land a new one that will make him the highest-paid defensive player in the league.

"I don't think about things like that," Suh said. "I think, most important, we've got to go out there and get a win and kind of go from there."

In five seasons with the Lions, Suh has established himself as one of the NFL's most dominant defensive players. He has 33 career sacks, including 5.5 this year, and is the biggest reason the Lions (9-4) have the NFL's second-ranked defense.

"I think he's one of the best of all time," Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said in a teleconference with Detroit reporters today.

Told of Zimmer's comments, Suh said, "It's very nice."

"Tell him I said thank you," he said. "But I've got a long way in my career to go. I think I have an opportunity to play at a high level and maybe be seen as an elite player in this league, but I'm very young and still got a lot of things to learn, and that's my focus."

Along with his dominant play, Suh, the second pick of the 2010 NFL draft, also has been one of the most enigmatic players in the league the last few years.

He burst into the NFL with a 10-sack rookie season but twice was voted the league's dirtiest player.

In 2011, Suh was suspended two games for stomping on the arm of an opponent on Thanksgiving, and to date, he has been fined eight times in his career, for more than $216,000.

Considered aloof even among teammates early in his career, Suh was voted a team captain last year and has been a bigger presence in the locker room in recent years.

He lent defensive end Ziggy Ansah a car for a period of time last year, after the Lions drafted Ansah, and this year, he has provided fun things for teammates, such as popcorn in meetings and ugly Christmas sweaters for the defensive line's holiday photo.

Asked about his highlights from his time at Ford Field, Suh said, "Wins, Thanksgiving. Other than that, I don't know." And he said he wants to be remembered for always playing "on a high level."

"So that's going to be my goal (Sunday), just like last year, the year before that," Suh said. "No matter where we're at, I want to play at a high level and impose my will, have teams focus on me, free other people up -- at the same time, make plays."

Lions coach Jim Caldwell wouldn't speculate on whether Sunday will be Suh's final game at Ford Field as a Lion, and Suh didn't want to go down that road, either.

"No clue," he said. "It's not my decision."

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/l ... /20199073/

December 10th, 2014, 3:34 pm

Love Suh and think we should break the bank to re-sign him, but that's just a cop out.

"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell

December 10th, 2014, 3:37 pm
League MVP

I think only way we keep him next year is the franchise tag. Don't think he wants to be here anymore.

December 10th, 2014, 3:38 pm

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
I think only way we keep him next year is the franchise tag. Don't think he wants to be here anymore.

I think Dave Birkett nailed it: with probably a few exceptions, Suh will go where he's paid the most. If that's Detroit, he'll be here.

December 10th, 2014, 3:48 pm
Team MVP

thelomasbrowns wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

I think Dave Birkett nailed it: with probably a few exceptions, Suh will go where he's paid the most. If that's Detroit, he'll be here.

Exactly. It's only in very, very rare cases that players don't take the most money they can get. It's usually only a case of a player nearing the end of their career and going for one last try at a championship on a better team where they make a bit less money, but even that doesn't happen often. Money talks, and I don't blame anyone for doing it. Every one of these guys is one injury from having their careers finished, so if I were in their shoes I'd go for max money too.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

December 10th, 2014, 6:56 pm
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

To be fair, that applies to 99.5% of NFL players. Very rarely do players take less money to play for a particular team.

December 10th, 2014, 6:56 pm
William Clay Ford Sr.

inheritedlionsfan wrote:

Franchising him would cost in excess of $25 Million dollars. No can do.

But, we can do what Cleveland did with Alex Mack last year. Transition Tag him. We get no compensation if he ends up on another team. But, we get to match any offer he gets or reject the offer and let him go.

We are paying him something like $22Million this year, because of bonuses and escalators. We can make him the highest paid defensive player annually for lest than that yearly cost.

And I heard today that next years cap will increase somewhere between $5.6-$7 Million per team.

December 10th, 2014, 10:27 pm
League MVP

I never got why the sports guys kept saying we couldn't take the $25M charge on our cap. We've got $123M committed for next year and the cap is likely going to rise again probably to at least $140M. If we wanted to do it, we could.

Yes it would cut down our options in adding other top level talent, and I'm not saying we should, I'm just saying its not as off the table as people are making it out to be.

December 10th, 2014, 11:15 pm
William Clay Ford Sr.

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
I never got why the sports guys kept saying we couldn't take the $25M charge on our cap. We've got $123M committed for next year and the cap is likely going to rise again probably to at least $140M. If we wanted to do it, we could.

Yes it would cut down our options in adding other top level talent, and I'm not saying we should, I'm just saying its not as off the table as people are making it out to be.

It would only delay the inevitable for 1 year. And limit anything else we need to do in the process. It would be better to Transition Tag him and either match an offer or let him go.

December 10th, 2014, 11:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next