View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 26th, 2014, 11:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Training Camp 2014 Thread 
RIP Killer

Post Training Camp 2014 Thread
post all things training camp related in this thread...

Mlive wrote:
Detroit Lions rookies report for training camp, veterans due Sunday
The majority of the Detroit Lions veteran players will get a few more days to rest and relax, but for the rookies, training camp starts when they report on Tuesday.

Lions coach Jim Caldwell highlighted his development plan for the team's first-year players during rookie minicamp in May.

"What happens with these guys, for the most part, is we try and make certain that they hear our offense, defense and our kicking game installed at least four times," Caldwell said. "We start it over again in the rookie minicamp. They'll hear it again when OTAs begin on Tuesday. We start from scratch again, and then they also hear it from the beginning at our regular veteran minicamp that we have toward the end of our OTAs. Then they hear it again. They come back and we have a rookie period for three days prior to training camp."

The Lions will be looking for significant contributions from their draft class and hope the repetition will ease the transition into the NFL.

Also reporting on Tuesday will be the team's quarterbacks and veterans who have been dealing with injuries, such as running back Joique Bell.

Physicals will be conducted to determine if those players are cleared to participate or will begin training camp on the physically unable to perform list.

The rest of the team is scheduled to report Sunday with practices beginning the following day. Detroit opens the preseason with a home date against the Cleveland Browns on Aug. 9.

July 22nd, 2014, 1:15 pm
Profile WWW
Team MVP

Post Re: Training Camp 2014 Thread
As much as I may have criticized the drafting of Ebron, one of the things I am most excited about is seeing how he develops and progresses through camp and the preseason. He just has that swagger to him that I cant help but think hes going to be one of the top TE's in the league in a few years.

I also cant wait to see how the defense is going to be. Will they be as good as they "looked" at minicamp and OTA's or will it be another great looking position in the offseason but an underperforming group in the regular season?

And finally, I'm looking forward to see what kind of improvement Stafford got with the new offense and having Caldwell as HC.

7 days and counting...

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

July 22nd, 2014, 2:19 pm
Modmin Dude

ESPN wrote:
Morning Roar: On Nick Fairley's stature
July, 28, 2014
By Michael Rothstein | ESPN.com

The Lions, no longer waiting to start their season...

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- He showed up in the spring more svelte than he had been throughout almost his professional career, down between 25 and 30 pounds and Nick Fairley felt much, much better about himself.

And about the game he gets paid to play.

Fairley had been inconsistent since coming to the Detroit Lions as their first round pick in 2011, so much so the team declined his fifth-year option before the season. Then he showed up in camp thinner than he'd been since the NFL combine and despite injuries, appeared ready to go.

At the time, though, new head coach Jim Caldwell gave him a weight range to be in -- and apparently he wasn't quite in it. So Fairley showed up at camp Sunday having put some more weight on, telling the team website he now is 305 pounds.

"We've given him a range. His range wasn't in 295," Caldwell said. "He was far below it at that particular point in time so the concern is a little bit different in that regard as it is as of today. Nevertheless, we give them all kind of a range.

"It's very, very difficult for them to come in pinpointed. We have sort of an area we'd like to see them operate. We do understand that during this time of the year, because of the activity they are going to be involved in, some of them are going to decrease in weight. Often times one or two pounds here or there is not going to make that much of a difference."

Caldwell said Fairley once dropped five pounds in one practice, so they understand how his weight fluctuates. But the main thing is they don't want to see him balloon up to where he was last season, when he was playing at a listed 325 pounds and was not happy with either his body or his production.

In a contract year, he can't afford for that to happen in any facet.

"We’re pleased Nick is moving in the right direction and obviously he’s a guy that he’s been working hard and he’s come through some difficult times this spring in terms of a couple physical ailments," Caldwell said. "I think they’ve helped him in terms of his surgeries and I think he’ll better for it."

http://espn.go.com/blog/detroit-lions/p ... ys-stature

July 28th, 2014, 10:10 am
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Lions activate Golden Tate from PUP list

Posted by Josh Alper on July 28, 2014, 11:29 AM EDT

The Lions opened up training camp without wide receiver Golden Tate on the practice field as a result of a shoulder injury that he suffered during the spring, but Tate was sure that he’d be an active participant before too much more of the summer was gone.

Tate was proven correct on Monday. The Lions have activated him from the Physically Unable to Perform list and the team’s biggest free agent addition is expected to take part in his first camp practice as a member of the Lions.

Tate’s return to practice will allow him to speed up the process of familiarizing himself with the offense being installed by offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi this offseason. Coach Jim Caldwell said, via the Detroit Free Press, that quarterback Matthew Stafford has shown good command of the offense and getting the guys catching his passes on the same page will be an important next step of the process in Detroit.

Defensive end Ziggy Ansah and rookie wide receiver T.J. Jones remain on the PUP list as the Lions open up their first full week of camp.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -pup-list/

July 28th, 2014, 12:00 pm
RIP Killer

Lions just claimed Johnny Baldwin from the niners. He was a first rounder a couple years ago and never did much in KC and was traded to the niners last year. Guy had a huge upside out of Pitt, but has looked disinterested in the nfl. I knew he had some issues out of college, but he was awful this training camp for the niners

August 4th, 2014, 5:11 pm
Div 1 - Starter

conversion02 wrote:
Lions just claimed Johnny Baldwin from the niners. He was a first rounder a couple years ago and never did much in KC and was traded to the niners last year. Guy had a huge upside out of Pitt, but has looked disinterested in the nfl. I knew he had some issues out of college, but he was awful this training camp for the niners

A quick Google search brought up three scouting reports from the 2011 draft:

http://draftbreakdown.com/scouting-repo ... n-baldwin/

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingrepor ... aldwin.php

http://nflmocks.com/2011/03/13/scouting ... n-baldwin/

It's an intriguing signing. On paper he has the measurables. Perhaps he will become a decent receive if he isn't pressured to be a #1 or #2 and doesn't have to play against the #1 or #2 CB. On the other hand, he has failed miserably up to this point. However, I like his ceiling better than Durham's or any of the other receivers outside of CJ and Tate.

August 4th, 2014, 6:05 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

From what I hear Fuller and Edwards have been very good in practice. From Edwards, we ve seen it before and he ll need to make some catches in preseason games to be taken seriously. He s lost his shot at a return position with the emergence of Ross but Ross isnt much of a receiver and Im not sure the Lions can just take 4 WRs plus Ross especially with this coaching staff. Fuller could get a role as a deep speed threat. Johnson, Tate are obvious locks. The in between spots No 3 and No 4 spots seem to be more open bw Durham, Broyles, Ogletree, Edwards... I have a hard time believing Baldwin even lasts more than 10 days with the Lions.

August 4th, 2014, 11:13 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

The Legend wrote:
From what I hear Fuller and Edwards have been very good in practice. From Edwards, we ve seen it before and he ll need to make some catches in preseason games to be taken seriously. He s lost his shot at a return position with the emergence of Ross but Ross isnt much of a receiver and Im not sure the Lions can just take 4 WRs plus Ross especially with this coaching staff. Fuller could get a role as a deep speed threat. Johnson, Tate are obvious locks. The in between spots No 3 and No 4 spots seem to be more open bw Durham, Broyles, Ogletree, Edwards... I have a hard time believing Baldwin even lasts more than 10 days with the Lions.

Interesting...I hadn't heard the positive reports on Edwards. But it definitely sounds like Ogletree and Fuller are having good camps. I think the preseason games will be crucial in deciding who wins the battles at WR, CB, and K.

August 5th, 2014, 10:03 am
Team MVP

The Legend wrote:

I don't see Durham making the team unless he has a good preseason.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

August 5th, 2014, 11:02 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

kdsberman wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Hoping someone steps up to displace Durham. Too many drops, no speed to separate or do anything after the catch. See nothing special about his game.

August 5th, 2014, 6:42 pm
Hall of Fame Player

liontrax wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Hoping someone steps up to displace Durham. Too many drops, no speed to separate or do anything after the catch. See nothing special about his game.

I hope Fuller, Broyles, and Edwards all show enough that we can trade Ogletree for a 5th or 6th round pick to someone like Cleveland.
I'm also hoping that OT Lucas shows good enough that we can get a late round pick for Hilliard.

August 5th, 2014, 7:11 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

kdsberman wrote:
The Legend wrote:

That didnt stop him last season...lol. But in all seriousness I think this coaching staff values having a multitude of different types of threats. They want to be able to attack the defense at all levels with the run and the pass. So the more unique someone is the more value that they have. Broyles, Ogletree, Edwards are all fairly similar type of players both in ability and measurables - I doubt the staff keeps more than one of them. Whichever one runs the best routes and displays the best hands wins a spot. Fuller could be the deep speed guy. Durham could make it as a guy thats imposing with his size as the mismatch and also blocking ability. Im not particularly fond of his game but it could happen. Perhaps he s a little marginalized the more Ebron lines up in the slot or out wide.

Last edited by The Legend on August 6th, 2014, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 5th, 2014, 11:50 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

The Legend wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
The Legend wrote:

That didnt stop him last season...lol. But in all seriousness I think this coaching staff values having a multitidue of different types of threats. They want to be able to attack the defense at all levels with the run and the pass. So the more unique someone is the more value that they have. Broyles, Ogletree, Edwards are all fairly similar type of players both in ability and measurables - I doubt the staff keeps more than one of them. Whichever one runs the best routes and displays the best hands wins a spot. Fuller could be the deep speed guy. Durham could make it as a guy thats imposing with his size as the mismatch and also blocking ability. Im not particularly fond of his game but it could happen. Perhaps he s a little marginalized the more Ebron lines up in the slot or out wide.

Agreed. To add, it looks like they're serious about using Fauria this year as well. So it's probably unlikely the 4th and 5th receivers will even see the field if people stay healthy.

August 6th, 2014, 9:14 am
Hall of Fame Player

conversion02 wrote:

That was quick. Baldwin failed his physical. Lions waived him last night.

August 7th, 2014, 12:07 pm
Div 1 - Starter

BillySims wrote:
That was quick. Baldwin failed his physical. Lions waived him last night.

Yeah, it's a little disappointing. I like to fantasize about finding a castoff first round pick who finally plays up to his potential with the Lions, but I guess it was just a silly fan fantasy.

August 7th, 2014, 12:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next