View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 1st, 2014, 4:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 The Jerome Couplin thread 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post The Jerome Couplin thread
Quietly having a good camp and I think he could become a beast in the NFL. I'm starting the Jerome Couplin hype train and giving him his own thread. We'll start it with this

Quote:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/agoodman/2014/05/01/here-comes-the-next-nfl-superhero/
Here Comes The Next NFL Superhero

Detroit Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson, aka “Megatron” and Seattle Seahawks corner Richard Sherman, the self-proclaimed “Optimus Prime” have taken the National Football League by storm. With the NFL Draft approaching, a young prospect has been given an alias that showcases his superhuman athleticism. Jerome Couplin III, a former safety from the College of William & Mary has been dubbed the “Osprey” for his wingspan and his liftoff capabilities. Like the large bird of prey and the vertical takeoff military aircraft which he is named after, Couplin shares a number of their impressive attributes.

Physically, Couplin is a freak of nature. Standing at 6’2 and 215 lbs. he is in the mold of new big and quick defensive backs such as Seattle Seahawk Kam Chancellor. At his Pro Day on March 18, Couplin ran the 40 yard dash in 4.5 seconds. He also had a vertical of 41.5 inches and a standing broad jump of 11 feet 2 inches, all accomplished outside in rainy, 32 degree conditions. But it’s when the ball is in the air that Couplin earns his nickname. Much like the “Osprey,” Couplin has an 81 inch wingspan, which means that he can practically touch his knees when standing straight up. Coupled with his jumping ability, Couplin’s physical attributes are a defensive coordinator’s dream. To put it into perspective, Couplin can catch a football 13 feet in the air (the top of a basketball backboard), or dive for a football a car length away. His Pro day results in the 40 yard dash, three cone drill, and bench press numbers tied or beat the projected top two safeties in this year’s draft (Alabama’s Ha‘Sean “Ha-Ha” Clinton Dix and Louisville’s Calvin Pryor ). Couplin’s results in the standing broad jump are the best for a safety in the last 10 years at the combine and his vertical would have been first among safeties at this year’s combine.

Couplin racked up 113 tackles last season (his 5.8 solo tackles per game ranked 11th nationally and first in the Colonial Athletic Association League), and received first team All- American honors from The Associated Press, The Sports Network and the Walter Camp Football Foundation. He was also named as a finalist for the esteemed Buck Buchanan Award (given to the top defensive player in the nation). Despite this he was not invited to the NFL Scouting Combine. That’s just fine with Couplin, as not much seems to faze him. He says “the doubters have always motivated me and I just love to prove people wrong.”

Despite his superhuman attributes, the teasing started in high school and got progressively worse in college. “People really started noticing that I was this guy who was pretty tall, but then I had these extremely long arms,” Couplin mused. He never took the jokes or insults to heart; it was nothing to be self-conscious about. Couplin attributes that to the fact that he had a strong family support system. Even though his parents, Jerome Couplin II & Adrienne Montague, never married or lived together he says, “It made me feel blessed to know that that no matter what, they were willing to put their differences aside and do what was best for me.” His grandparents, Floyd and Denise Montague, have also played an integral role in his upbringing and have stressed the value of obtaining a good education and giving back to community. That philosophy played a vital part in Jerome’s decision to select a top academic institution in William & Mary at the same time taking on the full time job of playing college football. “I knew that it was going to be challenging, but that’s what you want… something that is going to push you.” Couplin’s hard work translates off the field and outside the classroom as well, as he has participated in numerous fundraisers for charity, feed the homeless programs and events for at risk youth.

Scouts from the Pittsburgh Steelers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Washington Redskins were all in attendance for his Pro Day and have had communication with him as well. As a result of his measurables, Couplin is now on the radar of other of NFL teams. The Seattle Seahawks and Arizona Cardinals have shown interest and he has had workouts with the Kansas City Chiefs, Detroit Lions, Indianapolis Colts, and Baltimore Ravens.

August 10th, 2014, 2:03 pm

Post Re: The Jerome Couplin thread
Liking this kid. At the very least, we need to keep him on the PS.

August 11th, 2014, 9:04 am
Red Shirt Freshman

Killwill25 wrote:
Scouts from the Pittsburgh Steelers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Washington Redskins were all in attendance for his Pro Day and have had communication with him as well. As a result of his measurables, Couplin is now on the radar of other of NFL teams. The Seattle Seahawks and Arizona Cardinals have shown interest and he has had workouts with the Kansas City Chiefs, Detroit Lions, Indianapolis Colts, and Baltimore Ravens.

Apparently he wasn't that high on anyone's radar since he went undrafted. I'm pulling for the guy to make the team, if he deserves it, too. He sounds like one of those guys where if he receives proper coaching and development, could become a good player for us.

August 11th, 2014, 9:11 am
NFL Veteran

I doubt he makes it to the practice squad if he keeps showing even just small progress. His measurables are so great that at least one team with an older set of starters or an old back up will be willing to stick him on their roster as a 4th or 5th guy. A guy that has the hitting ability to be an in the box SS along with the range to potentially cover like a FS is a rare thing. Given the lack of a quality back up SS that plays similar to Ihedigbo, I would squeeze Couplin onto the roster even if it means a more ready to play guy is cut.

August 11th, 2014, 11:16 am

rao wrote:
I doubt he makes it to the practice squad if he keeps showing even just small progress. His measurables are so great that at least one team with an older set of starters or an old back up will be willing to stick him on their roster as a 4th or 5th guy. A guy that has the hitting ability to be an in the box SS along with the range to potentially cover like a FS is a rare thing. Given the lack of a quality back up SS that plays similar to Ihedigbo, I would squeeze Couplin onto the roster even if it means a more ready to play guy is cut.

That's possible, but he would really have to show up on special teams. That's how 4th string undrafted guys stick.

August 11th, 2014, 12:06 pm
3rd Round Selection

After hitting with Fauria and Waddle last year, it would be fantastic to get another player from the UDFA's.

August 11th, 2014, 4:36 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

UK Lion wrote:
After hitting with Fauria and Waddle last year, it would be fantastic to get another player from the UDFA's.

Speaking of Waddle...what the heck was he doing playing with the 2's? i didnt catch the begining of the game, who started at RT?

August 11th, 2014, 4:48 pm
NFL Veteran

regularjoe12 wrote:
UK Lion wrote:

Speaking of Waddle...what the heck was he doing playing with the 2's? i didnt catch the begining of the game, who started at RT?

He's only a second year UDFA, I'm sure Caldwell is just playing the vet with the 1s to start things out. Waddle should get his time with the ones either next week or the week after. Also playing Waddle with the 2s gets him more playing time before the start of the season.

August 11th, 2014, 5:55 pm
League MVP

rao wrote:

i could see him beating out abdul-quddus for the 5th spot but being a 4th safety usually means you have to play and i doubt he beats out carey or gomes. nothing wrong with the PS

August 11th, 2014, 9:16 pm
Div 1 - Starter

The Legend wrote:
i could see him beating out abdul-quddus for the 5th spot but being a 4th safety usually means you have to play and i doubt he beats out carey or gomes. nothing wrong with the PS

I think the important thing to remember is that Couplin probably won't make it to the practice sqaud, and even if he did, he could get snatched off it by another team that ends up with an injury situation. Considering his potential, I would hope the Lions keep him on the team.

August 12th, 2014, 5:00 pm
League MVP

JL wrote:
The Legend wrote:

I think the important thing to remember is that Couplin probably won't make it to the practice sqaud, and even if he did, he could get snatched off it by another team that ends up with an injury situation. Considering his potential, I would hope the Lions keep him on the team.

well lets just say i disagree with that assessment in italics above. most teams are keeping 4 safeties, some are keeping 5. if you are in the top 4 you have to be able to play which means knowing the scheme and also being a factor on special teams. with couplin being undrafted and coming from a small school its possible another team would take a chance on him as a No 5 safety and not need him to play much. the teams keeping 4 safeties IMO wont consider him except as a practice squad member bc otherwise they would need him to be able step in at a moments notice without having been in that team's training camp. i view him more as a developmental type prospect not a ready to contribute prospect at this point but agree there s always a risk trying to put him through waivers to get him on a practice squad. still most of the guys teams pick up after the last cuts are vets with some regular season tape or a recent draft pick that a team might have been considering previously. its less likely for a team to claim an undrafted guy and put him directly onto their regular season roster. with all that said, i hope the lions keep this guy in some way or another.

August 12th, 2014, 9:31 pm
Div 1 - Starter

From MLive:
Quote:
* Undrafted rookie safety Jerome Couplin was running with the twos yesterday -- which unlike Fairley, is actually a promotion. The team has been really impressed with his big-hitting, and it looks like he might get a shot to actually make this team. He just needs to show consistency, plus obvious value on special teams.

It's starting to look like Mayhew has picked up another gem.

August 13th, 2014, 6:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]