View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 20th, 2014, 1:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Too soon? 
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Post Too soon?
Is it too early to start hating Lombardi and the way he has run this offense?

im stumped here. I understand the "No Calvin" arguement. but to me there is too much ineptitude going on with an offense that USED to be a threat.

Reason why we should be uspet:

#1) the O-line

What was a dependable strength last year has become rediculously inept, with the apearance of getting worse weekly. last week against minnesota was worse than when we faced the Jets, who have a significantly better defense. This week, we face what for all practicle purposes is a pretty pathetic defense, and we still allowed 3 sacks, and a whole whopping 59 yards total rushing. We may have not ever been a rushing powerhouse, but last year it was at least functional for most of the season. it was uncommon for us to get less than 100 yards amongts all our RB's and end arounds. how many times have we gotten to 100 this year? once? maybe twice?

#2) Stafford

I think we can all agree that Stafford has many things to work on. Enter Lombardi and a QB Coach. Has anyone seen him improve....like AT ALL? Im not seeing it. Matter of fact I think it is safe to say his play has regresssed on an almost weekly basis this year. I dont see him getting better, I see him getting worse. To be fair a large portion of his regression is that he has started to play scared. He has happy feet, rushes throws, and is even WORSE at going through progressions due to his "internal clock". Funny though that when the game was on the line last night, we switch to shotgun, which we all know Staff favors, and he actually makes a couple of plays. (more in the last quarter than he did all game IMO..not saying he played well, just better)

#3) The run game

or as we here in Detroit like to call it "The What????" I dont think anyone was expecting us to be known for rushing, and I know we have seen a lot of injuries, BUT what we are not seeing is ANY kind of creativity with teh run game. Why do we keep pounding reggie up the middle? Isnt that what Bell is for? Isn't running for the sidlines, catching screens, off tackle runs the things he should be doing more? ya know....speedback stuff? Where are the screens? end arounds? outside HB tosses? Hello?...anyone???? *crickets*

#4) the playcalling

one word: VANILLA. we look like we play straight down the field passing and up the gut running. thats pretty much it. I see VERY LITTLE creativity. We make it very easy for a defense to defend us, cuz they KNOW we arn't going to suprise them with anything. Im not necesarily talking about trick plays. But how about a good Draw every now and then when we know the Dline is playing aggresive. wouldnt that be nice? little things like that, we simply don't do often enough IMO.

we are going into the 1/2 way point and our Offense is looking worse and worse each week. we got lucky and stole yesterdays game, which is FANTASTIC! BUT....dont be fooled into thinking we should have won that game. New Orleans' gave us that one with stupid penalties and costly turnovers (nice that it happened to someone else for once isnt it???). WE ARE IN TROUBLE if we cant right the offense...

And the last thing: Whoever thought we should be playing Calvin when it was OBVIOUS he could do NOTHING on that ankle deserves to be taken out behind the woodshed. The re-injury that he suffered in the 2nd game he played injured is why is still isnt out there. Had the Benched him for the first 2 games he would probably be playing right now...

Last edited by regularjoe12 on October 20th, 2014, 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

October 20th, 2014, 10:17 am
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Re: Too soon?
I posted in the game thread: I heard that the we moved to a zone blocking scheme from Linehan's man blocking scheme. If true, that would explain a lot re: #1 and #3.

To his credit, when people were salivating over the offense in the preseason (specifically the Raiders game), Lombardi said that it would take some time to really get things rolling. He said by the middle of the season things should be going well. I think this coaching staff has earned some patience from the fans, so I'm happy to sit back and wait.

October 20th, 2014, 10:32 am

thelomasbrowns wrote:
I posted in the game thread: I heard that the we moved to a zone blocking scheme from Linehan's man blocking scheme. If true, that would explain a lot re: #1 and #3.

To his credit, when people were salivating over the offense in the preseason (specifically the Raiders game), Lombardi said that it would take some time to really get things rolling. He said by the middle of the season things should be going well. I think this coaching staff has earned some patience from the fans, so I'm happy to sit back and wait.

I hear ya, and want to lean that way myself, but it IS Midseason. would you say things are going well on that side of the ball?

October 20th, 2014, 10:39 am
Modmin Dude

regularjoe12 wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

I hear ya, and want to lean that way myself, but it IS Midseason. would you say things are going well on that side of the ball?
I would say it isn't midseason until after the Bye..during which I expect the team to get healthy as well as tweak the schemes

October 20th, 2014, 11:01 am

TheRealWags wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

I would say it isn't midseason until after the Bye..during which I expect the team to get healthy as well as tweak the schemes

Well we are looking at week 8...out of 16 games...
BUT I get what you are saying. If I am understanding you correctly, you fall under the "too soon" category, but if they still play crappy after our Bye week, then maybe not so much. I can respect that.

October 20th, 2014, 11:10 am

I don't agree, but I got a chuckle out of this :D :

October 20th, 2014, 12:08 pm
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:

speaking of, when did Scott fall on his head and learn you can run the ball? When they hired him in Dallas and kept talking about a balanced offense I just kept shaking my head and saying just look at what he had done in Detroit. He has got DeMarco as an MVP candidate in Big D thus far.

As for the Lions, it isn't all on Lombardi. We've also got Caldwell and this looks much like the Raven's "can't score a TD against the Lions in December" team he was OC for last season. We've regressed on offense, much like one might have predicted if you watched the Ravens play.

October 20th, 2014, 12:28 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

regularjoe12 wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

Well we are looking at week 8...out of 16 games...
BUT I get what you are saying. If I am understanding you correctly, you fall under the "too soon" category, but if they still play crappy after our Bye week, then maybe not so much. I can respect that.
Yes, I'd say its a little 'too soon', for these (and other) reasons:
    Its been said time and again, offense takes longer to 'gell' than defense does
    Caldwell has been part of team that made in season adjustments to the offense..and won the Super Bowl
    Caldwell's calm demeanor seems to be rubbing off on this team
    Yesterday was Game 7, the Lions won't be officially at midseason until after next week's game in London (game 8.)
    I'm excited/curious to see if the offense in the final 4 mins was a 'fluke' or if they're starting to 'get it' (players & coaches, they have to work together to make it work)
    Megatron hasn't been healthy for the past month

Let me also say I'm in the 'no excuses' camp in that this team has no excuses for not making the playoffs this season. None.

October 20th, 2014, 12:28 pm
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
Let me also say I'm in the 'no excuses' camp in that this team has no excuses for not making the playoffs this season. None.

Just like 2013! :twisted:

October 20th, 2014, 12:31 pm
Profile WWW

TheRealWags wrote:

No excuses for not finishing with a winning record, for sure. No excuses for not making the playoffs? The Cardinals were 10-6 last year and missed. Same story for the Bears the year before. Lots of good teams in the NFC: I just want to see the team playing to its potential.

October 20th, 2014, 12:31 pm
Modmin Dude

Pablo wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
Just like 2013! :twisted:
Welp, they didn't make the playoffs and that group got swept out and a new regime was hired

October 20th, 2014, 12:38 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Pablo wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

speaking of, when did Scott fall on his head and learn you can run the ball? When they hired him in Dallas and kept talking about a balanced offense I just kept shaking my head and saying just look at what he had done in Detroit. He has got DeMarco as an MVP candidate in Big D thus far.

As for the Lions, it isn't all on Lombardi. We've also got Caldwell and this looks much like the Raven's "can't score a TD against the Lions in December" team he was OC for last season. We've regressed on offense, much like one might have predicted if you watched the Ravens play.

The best coaches match scheme to talent.

I think it's clear Linehan wasn't the problem. It's looking pretty clear that he did the best he could with the tools he was given.

October 20th, 2014, 1:13 pm

i think lombardi is struggling as a first year playcaller. remember he was only the QB coach in new orleans where the head coach not the OC calls the plays. he was probably at best the 3rd option on the playcalling ladder. it isnt easy, they have about 15-20 seconds to process the play and get a play in so the offense can line up and read the defense. its a learned skill and its his first time doing it. linehan in comparison has much more experience having been a head coach and OC in the past. still i think lombardi has done a good job working on some certain fundamentals of stafford s play that the previous coaches were maybe never going to address. i think the playcalling will get better as he figures out what the team does well and what it struggles with as well as learning to prepare for the tendencies of opposing DCs.

October 20th, 2014, 5:56 pm

I haven't seen every minute of every game but it was nice to see a route combination that got Fuller open in the back of the end zone. I'm still waiting to see more pre snap motion, rub routes (the Patriots and Broncos use a ton to get guys open), and bubble screens to help get the ball out quicker and let the receivers operate in space. I'm not wowed by what I have seen but there have been moments where the potential can be seen. I'm also wondering if Washburn did a great job last year or if Stafford was chucking the ball up more last season to avoid the sack. I know the O-line has been beat up and learning a new scheme but they weren't as good as the stats might suggest. The running game was okay last year but far from dominate and even worse this season. This team needs a reliable run game and until that time the offense will struggle right along with Stafford. The opposing defenses don't fear the run game and thus there are usually seven guys out in coverage clogging the intermediate routes and making any sort of playaction pass worthless. I also don't understand how Arapoff has stayed on so long as the director of strength coordinator or coordinator of physical development as the Lions call it.

October 20th, 2014, 7:50 pm

sweetd20 wrote:
I haven't seen every minute of every game but it was nice to see a route combination that got Fuller open in the back of the end zone. I'm still waiting to see more pre snap motion, rub routes (the Patriots and Broncos use a ton to get guys open), and bubble screens to help get the ball out quicker and let the receivers operate in space. I'm not wowed by what I have seen but there have been moments where the potential can be seen. I'm also wondering if Washburn did a great job last year or if Stafford was chucking the ball up more last season to avoid the sack. I know the O-line has been beat up and learning a new scheme but they weren't as good as the stats might suggest. The running game was okay last year but far from dominate and even worse this season. This team needs a reliable run game and until that time the offense will struggle right along with Stafford. The opposing defenses don't fear the run game and thus there are usually seven guys out in coverage clogging the intermediate routes and making any sort of playaction pass worthless. I also don't understand how Arapoff has stayed on so long as the director of strength coordinator or coordinator of physical development as the Lions call it.

it was more the safety came down to double up on tate who was the obvious and predictable 1st target on the play. the OL was much better at blitz pick up last year, this year they just arent seeing the blitzes coming. warford had one where it looked like he saw the guy but didnt even give an effort to block him and gave up a sack. not sure what the deal was on that. linehan s play calling also had stafford getting the ball out much quicker but maybe since this coaching staff is actively coaching him to turn it over less they are trying to have him be a little more cautious before he releases the ball. ur right the run game has been terrible but im not sure we ll see that improve this season. maybe some more motion and singleback could help. collins leading each run doesnt necessarily help and takes away the good vision that bush and bell both have. more zone runs might help utilize that strength of the backs as well and lead to a couple longer runs.

October 20th, 2014, 7:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next