View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 7:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Stafford makes top 100 players 
Team MVP

Post Re: Stafford makes top 100 players
Any chance Warford gets recognition?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

June 5th, 2014, 9:00 pm
QB Coach

kdsberman wrote:
Any chance Warford gets recognition?

He should. ProFootballFocus does their own rankings and they have Warford at #67. I'm not saying their rankings are the end-all be-all, but they're at least based on actual performance ratings instead of a vote of the players. Here's the link and list (if you follow the link there is an explanation for every player):

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/05/16/the-pff-101-top-to-bottom/

1. J.J. Watt
2. Robert Quinn
3. Peyton Manning
4. Gerald McCoy
5. Lavonte David
6. Richard Sherman
7. Evan Mathis
8. Lesean McCoy
9. Andrew Whitworth
10. Marshawn Lynch

11. Jamaal Charles
12. Joe Thomas
13. Jimmy Graham
14. Robert Mathis
15. Trent Williams
16. Michael Bennett
17. Ndamukong Suh
18. Darrelle Revis
19. Calais Campbell
20. Earl Thomas

21. Justin Houston
22. Devin McCourty
23. Brent Grimes
24. Patrick Willis
25. Josh Sitton
26. Kyle D. Williams
27. Jurrell Casey
28. Kam Chancellor
29. Marcell Dareus
30. Dontari Poe

31. NaVorro Bowman
32. Brandon Marshall
33. Antonio Brown
34. Jason Peters
35. Calvin Johnson
36. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
37. Eric Berry
38. Adrian L. Peterson
39. Jordy Nelson
40. Cameron Jordan

41. Greg Hardy
42. Jordan Gross
43. Philip Rivers
44. Tyron Smith
45. Louis Vasquez
46. Cameron Wake
47. Anquan Boldin
48. Russell Wilson
49. Keenan Lewis
50. Terrance Knighton

51. Andre Johnson
52. Thomas Davis
53. DeMaryius Thomas
54. Joe Staley
55. Randy Starks
56. Brandon Mebane
57. Tamba Hali
58. Patrick Peterson
59. Karlos Dansby
60. Drew Brees

61. Donte Whitner
62. Stephen Tulloch
63. Keenan Allen
64. Chris Harris Jr.
65. Aldon Smith
66. Jason Hatcher
67. Larry Warford
68. Von Miller
69. Elvis Dumervil
70. Eddie Lacy

71. Nate Solder
72. Derrick O. Johnson
73. Alshon Jeffery
74. Josh Gordon
75. Joe Haden
76. DeMarco Murray
77. Brian Orakpo
78. Jason Kelce
79. Desmond Trufant
80. Luke Kuechly

81. Sheldon Richardson
82. Alex Mack
83. Michael D. Johnson
84. Tyrann Mathieu
85. Vontaze Burfict
86. Will Hill
87. John Sullivan
88. Trent Cole
89. DeSean Jackson
90. Tom Brady

91. Damon Harrison
92. T.Y. Hilton
93. Alterraun Verner
94. Cliff Avril
95. Troy Polamalu
96. Eric Weddle
97. A.J. Green
98. Phil Loadholt
99. Jake Long
100. T.J. Ward
101. Marques Colston

Also, here's a link to a page where they address some questions about how they came up with their rankings: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/05/19/the-pff-top-101-tweetbag-edition/

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

June 6th, 2014, 2:43 am
Hall of Fame Player

PFF only ranks Megatron at 35? Epic Fail.

June 7th, 2014, 12:19 am
Mr. Irrelevant

Not to mention that Brandon Marshall is higher on the list. The dude is talented, for sure, but Megatron is a better receiver. Very few people in NFL circles would actually rather have Marshall on their team if they had to choose between him and Johnson.

June 7th, 2014, 8:32 am
QB Coach

I don't have a vested interest in PFF, but I think their stats are interesting. A couple things to note:

This is what they say regarding the list: this is not a list about talent or a lifetime achievement award. It is solely, 100% based on what happened between the opening kickoff of the 2013 regular season and the final snap of the Super Bowl this past February. Anything outside those dates does not matter. So it's only about 2013, nothing else.

Now, if you look at what they wrote, they dock CJ because he was injured and missed a couple games. That's legit. They also note that when he played he dominated defensive backs. That's also legit. For Marshall they said on a basis of only receiving he would be the #5 ranked WR. I think that's probably accurate. What pushed him to the top is his run blocking, which PFF says is far and away the best in the league. That could be true (I don't know anything about his run blocking), and assuming it is it would follow that a guy who is top 5 is receiving, #1 in run blocking, and didn't miss a game would be the top overall ranked guy at his position.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

June 10th, 2014, 2:50 pm
Team MVP

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
I don't have a vested interest in PFF, but I think their stats are interesting. A couple things to note:

This is what they say regarding the list: this is not a list about talent or a lifetime achievement award. It is solely, 100% based on what happened between the opening kickoff of the 2013 regular season and the final snap of the Super Bowl this past February. Anything outside those dates does not matter. So it's only about 2013, nothing else.

Now, if you look at what they wrote, they dock CJ because he was injured and missed a couple games. That's legit. They also note that when he played he dominated defensive backs. That's also legit. For Marshall they said on a basis of only receiving he would be the #5 ranked WR. I think that's probably accurate. What pushed him to the top is his run blocking, which PFF says is far and away the best in the league. That could be true (I don't know anything about his run blocking), and assuming it is it would follow that a guy who is top 5 is receiving, #1 in run blocking, and didn't miss a game would be the top overall ranked guy at his position.

Hate to say it because I hate the Bears and I hate Brandon Marshall, but that statement is correct. Cant argue with the facts. Did I mention I hate the Bears?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

June 10th, 2014, 3:16 pm
RIP Killer

kdsberman wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:

Hate to say it because I hate the Bears and I hate Brandon Marshall, but that statement is correct. Cant argue with the facts. Did I mention I hate the Bears?

+1 - both Brandon and Alshon are better downfield blockers than Calvin is. And while a receiver is definitely more about catching the ball, you can't discount the impact a receiver has on a successful running game. I don't know that I would have put Marshall above Calvin simply based on that, but I can at least understand their reasoning.

June 13th, 2014, 3:09 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I rip on Calvin a lot on here but I think he is a very good blocker in his own right.

June 13th, 2014, 9:35 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Suh slides in at #40.

thats 4 players + Calvin and counting. I doubt anyone else makes it, but heck 5 players on the list is great compared to 4 years ago when it was just Calvin.

June 19th, 2014, 5:19 pm
RIP Killer

freep wrote:
Detroit Lions' Calvin Johnson voted second-best player in NFL by his peers

The players have spoken. Megatron is the best of all (but one).

The NFL Network revealed the final installment of its results of its annual player poll of the top 100 players in the league from last season.

Detroit Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson finished No. 2 in the poll behind just Broncos quarterback and NFL MVP Peyton Manning.

Johnson, who missed two games last year, still finished with 84 catches for 1,492 yards, third in the league, and 12 touchdowns.

This is the fourth year the NFL Network has done this list and the third time Johnson has finished in the top three. He was third in 2013 and 2012. In 2011, he was ranked 27th.

There were four other Lions on the list: No. 100 QB Matthew Stafford; No. 85 Reggie Bush; No. 59 DeAndre Levy; No. 40 Ndamukong Suh.

Former Michigan quarterback and current Patriots star Tom Brady is third, followed by Vikings running back Adrian Peterson and Phillies back LeSean McCoy. The next highest wide receiver is Cincinnati’s A.J. Green at No. 9.

July 10th, 2014, 9:50 am
Profile WWW

CJ has been voted 3,3,2 the last three years which, I'd say makes him the most respected player in the NFL. I understand Manning being number 1 since the votes taken were before the Superbowl. Post Suberbowl, he belongs at 8 behind Richard Sherman.

IMO that game crapped on his legacy quite a bit.

July 10th, 2014, 10:50 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Killwill25 wrote:
CJ has been voted 3,3,2 the last three years which, I'd say makes him the most respected player in the NFL. I understand Manning being number 1 since the votes taken were before the Superbowl. Post Suberbowl, he belongs at 8 behind Richard Sherman.

IMO that game crapped on his legacy quite a bit.

I dont know about the bolded aprt. with the exception of one super bowl I'd say that last year was the very definition of his legacy. throughout his history he has always fallen apart durring "the big game". he's done it several times.

July 11th, 2014, 1:19 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

The Legend wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Bush being on the list is much more erroneous than Stafford being on it. His fumbles and drops were much more damaging than Stafford INTs. People dont understand that a QB has to force things at times late in games, you cant villify a guy for trying when the team has its back against the wall. I guess people prefer the Joey Harrington throw it short of the sticks and just give up approach in do or die situations...

I think you've completely lost your mind. Stafford's picks were AWFUL plays, often throws that should never have been made, even by a rookie QB in his first NFL game. His performance for the entire season was crap.

good for you. they werent all awful plays and thats just your interpretation. tell me about the INT at the end of the Tampa game. now go look in the mirror and repeat what you said to me.

You mean the Tampa game where Stafford could have simply thrown the ball away, but instead decided to rolled out into pressure, throw the ball way downfield, off his back foot, putting so much air under it the safety had time to recover because CJ had to stop and wait for the ball to come down. That INT? The one that so many Stafford fans defend Stafford over because CJ should have caught that pass while they completely ignore that it never should have been thrown!!!!!!

To you Stafford fans, I'm sorry, but I think your guy stinks right now. He doesn't do well under pressure and he doesn't manage the game well.

July 17th, 2014, 6:39 pm

Jafo, yes Calvin should've absolutely caught that ball. With the game on the line Stafford literally put it in the hands of the "best WR in football". Stafford made a play. I think Stafford crapped the bed last season but that was NOT an example.

July 17th, 2014, 7:49 pm

Dude, that is why CJ is CJ because in situations such as that, he allows the QB to just toss it up and in that case he wasn't even being contested

July 17th, 2014, 8:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next