View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 26th, 2014, 5:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Early Early Early 53 man Roster predictions 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Early Early Early 53 man Roster predictions
Greenwood is one of the better corners in a terrible Lions corner group. When making decisions, you have to decide if you put someone like him or Moore on the PS, would another team jump at him because it improves their active roster. In-other-words, what are the chances you lose him and how big a loss would it be.

I'm not sure if any team out there is going to make a play for a Lions corner not named Slay or Mathis or Bentley at this point.

Do you really think some team is going to try to take a 3rd year CB from Div III Albion who has shown little in his couple of years in the NFL (3 total games played in)? They might, the Cowboys grabbed him off the Lions PS last year and cut him a couple of weeks later (BTW - the Cowboys had the worst D in the NFL last year ranking 32nd).

Y'all might like him, but I believe the Lions rank six or seventh him behind Sly, Mathis, Bentley, Vaughn, and Lawson. I basically did a coin flip between him and Green. BTW - if you look at the Lions depth chart he is listed behind all those guys (including Green) in a group with Hester and Seisay.

August 21st, 2014, 11:16 am
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

QB - Stafford/Orlovsky/Moore : Moore has improved and I think he s earned a spot on this team over some of the fringe DBs
RB - Bush/Bell/Riddick : I still think LeShoure has an outside shot since Owens hasnt gotten much PT at HB or FB. Wynn to the PS
FB - Collins/Owens : Owens is a solid special teamer but hasnt received many chances with the offense. Collins looks like a lock now.
TE - Pettigrew/Ebron/Fauria
WR - Johnson/Tate/Ogletree/Broyles/Fuller
OT - Reiff/Waddle/Hilliard/Lucas
OG - Warford/Sims/Austin (Lucas or Austin could get beat out by Reynolds experience or by another teams cut)
C - Raiola/Swanson

K - Freese : Im really not sure who is better, Im actually hoping there is someone outside the organization the team will pick up if cut.
P - Martin : Will also kickoff
KR - Ross : Also some value as a receiver
LS - Muhlbach

DE - Jones/Johnson/Ansah/Taylor/Webster
DT - Suh/Mosley/Fairley/Reid
MLB - Tulloch/T Lewis
OLB - Levy/Whitehead/VanNoy/Palmer

CB - Slay/Mathis/Bentley/Vaughn/Lawson
S - Quinn/Ihedigbo/Carey/Abdul-Quddus

PS - Winn, Keyton, Peacock, Maxwell, Abram, Proctor, Hester, Couplin, Hepburn, Sadler McQueen
IR - TJ Jones, Gomes

August 23rd, 2014, 4:26 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I wouldn't be surprised if Ihedigbo & Quin sat after one possession. It's Abdul-Quddus vs. Couplin in the final real camp battle. After watching the Jags game(finally), I am still very impressed by Couplin's ability to get into position as a rookie. His ceiling is much higher than Abdul-Quddus though Abdul-Quddus is the better special teams player at this point.

August 26th, 2014, 2:45 am
Hall of Fame Player

With the way starters around the league are going on season ending IR, I don't want any of our starters to take even 1 snap. Just use this game to evaluate the bottom 53 players to see which ones will bè the 22 final cuts.

August 26th, 2014, 7:58 am
RIP Killer

MLive wrote:
ALLEN PARK -- The Detroit Lions waived Giorgio Tavecchio on Monday morning, paving the way for rookie Nate Freese to become the team's next placekicker.

Detroit completed its move to the 75-player limit by cutting cornerback Jonte Green, fullback Chad Abram, cornerback Aaron Hester, punter Drew Butler and quarterback James Franklin. It also moved safety DeJon Gomes (neck) to injured reserve, ending his season.

The Lions had until 4 p.m. Tuesday to get to 75. They conclude the preseason Thursday night against the Buffalo Bills, then have until 4 p.m. Saturday to get to 53.

Their decision to go with Freese is unsurprising. They spent a seventh-round draft pick on him, and though coach Jim Caldwell said that was not a factor, he stuck with Freese on the first team all the way through the offseason even though Tavecchio was kicking better.

Tavecchio hit 25 in a row during one stretch of camp, while Freese was missing most days. Yet Freese remained the starter, a sign Detroit preferred its draft pick to win this battle.

Caldwell said he would alternate kickers last week against Jacksonville, but stuck with Freese in the first half. Tavecchio missed on his only opportunity of the game, a 51-yard field goal, and three days later is out of a job.

The Lions got their wish with Freese, and now they'll hope the rookie can even out his highs and lows after a disappointing camp.

He was 20-for-20 last season at Boston College, so there is reason to hope he will find his leg.

The other notable cut was Green, a sixth-round draft pick from 2012 who never quite turned a corner. His departure seemingly opens a place for Chris Greenwood and Cassius Vaughn as reserve corners.

Butler never had a shot at unseating Sam Martin for punting duties -- Martin has been tremendous -- and Franklin never took at snap at quarterback in the preseason. So their departures were inevitable.

August 26th, 2014, 1:14 pm
Profile WWW

The kicker stuff was kind of sad because I agree that tavecchio never really had an honest shot not that I trust either kicker(but than again I didn't even trust Jason Hanson in big games).

I think Butler had some good tape punting

August 26th, 2014, 5:05 pm

Killwill25 wrote:
The kicker stuff was kind of sad because I agree that tavecchio never really had an honest shot not that I trust either kicker(but than again I didn't even trust Jason Hanson in big games).

I think Butler had some good tape punting

I agree about the place kicker. Freese did NOT win that job IMO. lets hope very few games dont come down to long FG's to win :(

August 26th, 2014, 5:47 pm
Modmin Dude

Another take on the kicker competition:
ESPN wrote:
Even-keeled Nate Freese wins kicking job
August, 25, 2014

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- Not much appears to get to Nate Freese and for the Detroit Lions, that could be a good thing.

His demeanor, through good and bad, remains remarkably the same. He stayed the same after a rough first few days of Detroit Lions training camp last month and had the same reactions after making a 55-yard field goal on the dirt in Oakland.

It's a kick that might have sealed the news Freese received Monday -- that he won the starting kicker job over Giorgio Tavecchio and will join a club that includes Jason Hanson and Eddie Murray as rookies to kick for the Lions.

"He's a pretty even-keeled dude," his holder, Sam Martin, said.

After he made that 55-yarder, Martin said he was essentially the same as before he made the kick. Calm. Collected. Focused. Not much was going to get to him, even after he made a very difficult kick.

So when he ran into Giorgio Tavecchio and Drew Butler before he arrived at the Lions facility Monday and they essentially told him he won the job -- he indicated his reaction was somewhat muted.

Of course, Freese says he never doubted he would win the job because his approach is always the same. Try to make the next kick.

"As a kicker, you always want to be positive," Freese said. "You want to think like, you know, you want to have the mindset that this is my job and I need to do my very best every single day or I'm not going to have this job.

"So that's my mindset."

Lions coach Jim Caldwell didn't really go into specifics about why the team went with Freese over Tavecchio other than to continually say it was a very close competition and pointing out Freese's massive kick in Oakland.

In the way of the NFL, that can be all the difference. And Caldwell seemed confident Freese would remain as the team's kicker, even as veterans like Jay Feely -- who was released by Arizona -- end up on the market.

"This league is one where you don't ever stand pat, obviously. But obviously he's the guy we chose and he's the best guy for the job," Caldwell said. "Otherwise we'd tell ya that we'd open it up and look around and those kinds of things.

"But Nate's done a tremendous job and I think you'll continue to see him get better."

http://espn.go.com/blog/detroit-lions/p ... icking-job
Sounds like his overall attitude and demeanor may have played a part in it.

August 27th, 2014, 9:41 am
Modmin Dude

and it looks like Tavecchio has another opportunity:
Quote:
Raiders claim kicker Giorgio Tavecchio off waivers from Detroit
Posted by Curtis Crabtree on August 27, 2014, 12:06 AM EDT

With Sebastian Janikowski currently dealing with a strained quadriceps that will keep him out of Thursday’s preseason finale against the Seattle Seahawks, the Oakland Raiders announced Tuesday they have claimed kicker Giorgio Tavecchio off waivers from the Detroit Lions.

Tavecchio, who played college football just a few miles away in Berkeley at the University of California, was waived by the Lions Monday as they trimmed their roster to the maximum 75 players.

Tavecchio has also spent time with the San Francisco 49ers and Green Bay Packers in training camp the prior two seasons. He was 1-for-2 on field goal attempts this preseason and converted both extra points he attempted.

To make room for Tavecchio, the Raiders released kicker Kevin Goessling. Tavecchio could be a hedge option for the Raiders in case Janikowski isn’t ready for the start of the season as well.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... m-detroit/

August 27th, 2014, 9:49 am

QB (3)- Stafford/Orlovskly/Moore
TB (3)- Bush/Bell/Riddick
FB (1)- Collins
TE (3)- Pettigrew/Fauria/Ebron
WR(5)- Johnson/Tate/Ogletree/Fuller/Broyles
OT(4)- Reiff/Waddle/Hilliard/Lucas
OG(3)- Sims/Warford/Austin
C(2)- Raiola/Swanson

KR/PR/WR - Ross
LS - Muhlbach
P - Martin
K - Freese

DE(5)- Ansah/Jones/Johnson/Taylor/Webster
DT(4)- Suh/Mosley/Fairley/Reid
OLB(2)-Whitehead/J Stanford
MLB(2)- Tulloch/T Lewis
OLB(2)- Levy/Palmer
CB(5)- Slay/Mathis/Bentley/Vaughn/Lawson
S(5)-Quinn/Ihedigbo/Abdul-Qudus/Carey/Couplin

PUP- TJ Jones
IR - Gomes/Van Noy

PS- Winn RB/M Williams OT/Abram FB/Keyton G,C/Peacock WR/Seisay CB/Proctor DL/Hepburn LB/Ness S/Greenwood CB

EDIT*** just found out van noy had surgery so i move him to IR, possibly short term IR

August 29th, 2014, 9:28 am
3rd Round Selection

So looks like you were 99% right Legend? Only difference is Stanford cut, presumably with Van Noy not moved to IR?

August 30th, 2014, 4:22 pm

Durham is finally gone. My condolences go out to m2k

August 30th, 2014, 4:54 pm

UK Lion wrote:
So looks like you were 99% right Legend? Only difference is Stanford cut, presumably with Van Noy not moved to IR?

austin was cut also, and owens made the team as ST/FB/TB

August 30th, 2014, 7:56 pm
RIP Killer

New Lions depth chart (Nick back starting, Ebron 3rd string, Whitehead starting)

Offense

WR Golden Tate, Kevin Ogletree, Ryan Broyles

LT Riley Reiff, Cornelius Lucas

LG Rob Sims

C Dominic Raiola, Travis Swanson

RG Larry Warford

RT LaAdrian Waddle, Corey Hilliard

TE Brandon Pettigrew, Joseph Fauria, Eric Ebron

WR Calvin Johnson, Jeremy Ross, Corey Fuller

QB Matthew Stafford, Dan Orlovsky, Kellen Moore

RB Reggie Bush, Joique Bell, Theo Riddick

FB Jed Collins, Montell Owens

Defense

DE Ezekiel Ansah, George Johnson

DT Nick Fairley, C.J. Mosley

DT Ndamukong Suh, Caraun Reid

DE Jason Jones, Devin Taylor, Larry Webster

OLB Tahir Whitehead, Kyle Van Noy

MLB Stephen Tulloch, Travis Lewis

OLB DeAndre Levy, Ashlee Palmer

CB Rashean Mathis, Bill Bentley, Nevin Lawson

CB Darius Slay, Cassius Vaughn

SS James Ihedigbo, Jerome Couplin

FS Glover Quin, Don Carey, Isa Abdul, Quddus

Special teams

PK Nate Freese

H Sam Martin

KO Sam Martin, Nate Freese

P Sam Martin

LS Don Muhlbach

PR Jeremy Ross, Golden Tate, Ryan Broyles

KR Jeremy Ross, Theo Riddick

September 2nd, 2014, 9:24 am
Profile WWW

Ranking relative to expected role on team A=Great player, A-/B+ = good player, B = above average, B-/C+ = slighly above avg, C = avg, C- = below avg, D = well below avg, F=player should not be on NFL roster

QB- Stafford B-, Orlovsky C-, Moore C+
TB- Bush C+, Bell B, Riddick B-
FB- Collins C, Owens C
WR- Johnson A, Tate B+, Ogletree D+, Broyles C+, Fuller C+
TE- Pettigrew C, Fauria C, Ebron C+
OT- Reiff B-, Waddle C, Hilliard C, Lucas D+
OG- Warford A-, Sims B-, Swanson D+
C- Raiola B

DE- Ansah C-, Jones C, Johnson C-, Taylor C+, Webster D+
DT- Suh A, Fairley B+, Mosley B-, Reid D
OLB- Levy B, Whitehead C-, Palmer C-, Van Noy C
MLB- Tulloch B+, Lewis C-