View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 5:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Chris Houston Released 
Varsity Captain

Post Re: Chris Houston Released
we are not interested in any Free agent cb,s .We feel very confident in slay and greenwood .yes they arent proven vets but both are extremely talented and have shown huge strides in there games.vaughn and mathis our safety nets if one of those two begin to falter.remember every big name player was a young nobody until he got a chance to prove himself.

June 13th, 2014, 7:06 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Quote:
we are not interested in any Free agent cb,s .We feel very confident in slay and greenwood .yes they arent proven vets but both are extremely talented and have shown huge strides in there games.vaughn and mathis our safety nets if one of those two begin to falter.remember every big name player was a young nobody until he got a chance to prove himself.

Man, I hope and pray that if this is the case that it works out. I have been waiting to see Greenwood show his potential. Between all the injuries and him being on the practice squad and learning, I had always hoped he would one day show that his size and athletic ability could turn into a hidden gem. I believe Slay is on the right track. Hopefully Greenwood will show out in training camp and show that the injuries are behind him.

Tim

June 13th, 2014, 7:23 pm
Varsity Captain

I will tell you he is healthy and has been working very hard.the one thing you guys dont know is coach gunny wanted to get chris into the starting lineup weeks before he actually did but coach schwartz wanted vets instead.

June 13th, 2014, 7:49 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Quote:
I will tell you he is healthy and has been working very hard.the one thing you guys dont know is coach gunny wanted to get chris into the starting lineup weeks before he actually did but coach schwartz wanted vets instead.

Coaching for his job, I suppose that makes sense. New regime, new opportunities. If he is finally healthy, then we shall see if he truly develops into the player the team expected him to be when he was drafted. I think the new defense will play to his strength in being a bigger and more physical corner.

Tim

June 13th, 2014, 8:26 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I honestky think that Greenwood's development could be the difference in our playoff run

June 13th, 2014, 9:30 pm
Varsity Captain

the excitement within the organization is extremely high.we feel that the talent level is higher then anyone has seen here in along time.we truely feel that a championship is within our grasp.

June 13th, 2014, 9:58 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Let's just win enough to get home field advantage throughout the playoffs first. Then we can talk championships.

June 14th, 2014, 12:43 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

BillySims wrote:
Let's just win enough to get home field advantage throughout the playoffs first. Then we can talk championships.

THANK YOU!!! All thats happened is OTA's. thats a couple of BOLD statements based off of OTA's if you ask me...

June 14th, 2014, 9:59 am
Heisman Winner

allenslions wrote:

I sure hope you're right about Slay and Greenwood. The thought of two unproven CBs starting and defending against some of the league's best receivers makes me a little queasy though.

June 14th, 2014, 10:08 am

DayDreamer wrote:
allenslions wrote:

I sure hope you're right about Slay and Greenwood. The thought of two unproven CBs starting and defending against some of the league's best receivers makes me a little queasy though.

See I’m hoping this is yet another time AllensLions is wrong. You don’t get rid of your best DB because you like the way an unknown guy plays without pads. Or even on the practice squad. Giving greenwood a shot is one thing, cutting you best DB to do so doesn't make sense. Either there is more going on than what has been said, or the front office has lost its mind!

Either Houston’s foot is still really REALLY bad,
The Lions are making a move to get a FA,
The Lions have hired someone to shoot Marshall, Cobb, and Patterson in the foot.

Simply put, cutting your best at the position so you can play a prospect in his place doesn’t exactly back up Mayhews "Win now" mantra he has been spewing all offseason. ESPECIALLY at DB where we are incredibly thin.

June 14th, 2014, 11:15 am
Heisman Winner

regularjoe12 wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:
allenslions wrote:

See I’m hoping this is yet another time AllensLions is wrong. You don’t get rid of your best DB because you like the way an unknown guy plays without pads. Or even on the practice squad. Giving greenwood a shot is one thing, cutting you best DB to do so doesn't make sense. Either there is more going on than what has been said, or the front office has lost its mind!

Either Houston’s foot is still really REALLY bad,
The Lions are making a move to get a FA,
The Lions have hired someone to shoot Marshall, Cobb, and Patterson in the foot.

Simply put, cutting your best at the position so you can play a prospect in his place doesn’t exactly back up Mayhews "Win now" mantra he has been spewing all offseason. ESPECIALLY at DB where we are incredibly thin.

Another reason could be that Suh has Mayhew over a barrel, and cap room might have played a part in Houston's release. They might even be readying themselves for a Suh Franchise tag next season, which might explain why they wouldn't restructure other contracts just yet. Just to be clear, this is pure speculation on my part.

June 14th, 2014, 12:08 pm

based off of the money Suh makes this year, wouldnt a FT on him next year actually be a pay cut? I dont think the top 5 DT's average are at 20 mil....though Im not real sure.

June 14th, 2014, 12:13 pm
Varsity Captain

first chris was cut due to his injury and we felt he would not help us this year.and as for vets getting cut for younger inexperienced players it happens all the time.you all kinda in your heads pencil in ebron and van noy as starters and other first round pics as starters for there teams and not one first round pic has 10 seconds of nfl tape to show they can play at this level.where we have good tape of both slay and greenwood playing in nfl games and we see there growth from last season and ota,s and the mini camps.fans are to brainwashed by the media who most have no more of a clue about the game then the average fan does.even the greats were inexperienced question marks at one time.slay and greenwood are ready to make themselves known.sit back and enjoy the ride.and wasnt it a media fact how we made a huge mistake not taking an tackle in round 1 last year and the oline was gonna stink with two inexperienced guys like reiff and waddle.yeah there eating crow about that know.

June 14th, 2014, 1:59 pm
Div 1 - Starter

regularjoe12 wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:
You don’t get rid of your best DB because ...

Okay, just to be clear here, the Lions didn't *have* Houston as "their best DB". You can't be the best anything on the field when you're on IR, or not practicing/playing because you're recovering from surgery. I didn't see a whole lot written on when Houston was supposed to return, but I *have* seen it reported that Houston was a safe bet to start the season on the PUP list.

There's nothing stopping the Lions from re-signing Houston (to a more sensible contract) once he's cleared to play again. In the meantime, it's going to mean more reps for the younger (cheaper) DBs. I remember when the team lost Greenwood to Dallas last year, and didn't waste two seconds getting him back when Dallas released Greenwood.

June 14th, 2014, 2:34 pm
Heisman Winner

JL wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
when Dallas released Greenwood.

That is what concerns me. Dallas, who are also known to have a weak secondary released him, so what does that say about him? That, and his frequent injuries.

On the other hand, this wouldn't be the first time an unknown/under-appreciated player turns around and becomes a star. After reading allen's posts, I'm open to see what Greenwood can do. Can't wait for the preseason to begin so we can get a glimpse of his play.

June 14th, 2014, 3:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next