View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 21st, 2014, 6:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Chris Houston Released 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Chris Houston Released
regularjoe12 wrote:
based off of the money Suh makes this year, wouldnt a FT on him next year actually be a pay cut? I dont think the top 5 DT's average are at 20 mil....though Im not real sure.

Nope. FT is average of top 5 at the position OR 110% increase over previous season. Whichever is greater.

In Suh's case, $22M x 1.10 = $24.2M under a FT next year.

June 14th, 2014, 4:11 pm
Varsity Captain

dallas picked up chris as a body in there secondary until one of there players came back from injury.cant remember witch one.they thought with his speed he could also help in the return game until he picked up there defence.they found out returns is not his thing.

June 14th, 2014, 5:22 pm
League MVP

Houston was a bad signing in 2013, he was given his contract before the market was set at CB and equally talented players got less money per year on shorter deals later in free agency. Houston then followed that with a subpar injury riddled season. He s still injured and his return timeframe is indeterminate at this point. IMO he s an easy cut, the hardest part of cutting him for the Lions FO is probably the obvious admission that they shouldnt have given him the contract they did last season. He wasnt good last season, so stop with the Lions cut there best DB (its not 2011 anymore)

As for Slay, I felt he really showed very little last season though he played closer to what he s capable of just prior to coming down with the injury. Relatively speaking in my opinion, Greenwood late in the season was playing better than Slay had. Neither was as good as the Chris Houston of a couple years ago and neither was playing to the level of a solid NFL starter. What I expect to see at this point is that Mathis will start alongside Slay. Bentley will stay at nickel. Greenwood hopefully does break the playing rotation and same with Jonte Green and Lawson but my feeling is that Vaughn will probably push one of Green or Greenwood off the roster and that the team will keep Lawson bc he s the more recent draft pick.

Now, with regards to allenslions insights, maybe they are an accurate assessment of the conversations inside the Lions front office and among the coaching staff but I believe its a big stretch to say the the Lions will not consider any veteran free agent CBs bc they feel that they can just sit back and enjoy Slay and Greenwood as the No 1 and 2 CBs, with really only Mathis as a quality reserve.

June 15th, 2014, 10:54 am
Varsity Captain

the fact that we did,nt address it in either free agency or the draft should tell everyone how strongly we feel about our young corners.and again most of last season we ran zone coverage which was not the strength of our guys back there.this system on Defense is what martin wanted for the last two seasons.it was a factor in the Schwartz firing and a factor in the coach Caldwell hiring.now for us going after a free agent.it,s not out of the question when Suh,s contract gets done if a young guy falters and only a guy who can play press man.a guy like flowers is out of the question as he is a zone corner.also Mathis would have to play pretty poorly in camp.the way it is right now is slay on the left side and Mathis and greenwood fighting for the right side job with billy and Lawson playing slot corner.Cassius and green will battle to be slay,s backup.

June 15th, 2014, 12:47 pm
Heisman Winner

Looks like the Lions are going after Flowers after all, I don't know if they can sign him with the current cap situation.

Link: http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2014/06/reports_detroit_lions_contact.html

June 16th, 2014, 3:21 pm
Varsity Captain

sorry guys but these reports are completely bogus.just some reporter trying to put 2 and 2 together.hey a probowl corner is available and detroit needs a corner so it has to be true.and sometimes even a players camp will leak fake rumors just to drum up interest in there player.if we do feel we need to add to the position it will be after suh,s contract and depending on who is out there and how thing are panning out in camp.i cant say never because injury,s do happen.

June 16th, 2014, 3:40 pm
RIP Killer

ESPN wrote:
Why Flowers could be risky for Detroit
It was almost too symmetrical on Friday. The Detroit Lions released Chris Houston at the same time the Kansas City Chiefs cut their talented cornerback who struggled last season, Brandon Flowers.

The questions about Flowers, a Pro Bowler last season, started almost immediately. The Lions still need help in the secondary, particularly at cornerback. On the surface, it would seem like a logical thing for Detroit to do and Aaron Wilson of The Baltimore Sun reported the Lions are one of a multitude of teams that have shown interest in Flowers.

Flowers is a talent and still in his prime at age 28. The Lions, as of now, are going with a long-time veteran (Rashean Mathis) and a second-year pro with an inconsistent rookie year (Darius Slay) at cornerback. If this was the defense under the old coaching staff led by Gunther Cunningham and Jim Schwartz, going after Flowers would become an absolute priority and a no-brainer.

Here’s why it shouldn’t be now -- or at least should be carefully considered: Multiple reports explained part of the concern with Flowers was he didn’t really fit in the Kansas City scheme implemented last season. It was one heavily reliant on press coverage from the outside cornerbacks. Well, this could be a problem for the Lions with Flowers.

All indications – including from Slay himself – is that Detroit is going to be heavily aggressive this season and will likely use a lot of press coverage in man situations on the outside. This doesn’t mean Flowers wouldn’t be able to adapt to it, but signing him would be a risk in this scenario because of the money they would have to likely pay the former second-round pick.

His 2013 Pro Football Focus overall rating was minus-5.9, 87th among cornerbacks, although his plus-1.1 rush grade was sixth in the NFL last season according to PFF. Worse, his minus-9.8 grade on PFF in coverage was 96th among cornerbacks -- one slot ahead of Houston, the cornerback Detroit released and well behind Slay, Mathis, Bill Bentley and Cassius Vaughn.

So those would also be numbers for concern for Detroit.

Of course, if the Lions think they can work with Flowers and turn him into a dependable press-coverage corner on the outside, then the team should go after him. However, it would seem less than ideal for the Lions to take a chance on a player who has shown he might not fit the team's scheme.

The counterargument would be that right now, Detroit should take any talent it could get at cornerback considering the questions surrounding the the unit. And there is no doubt Flowers is talented. But when you look at his statistics, he had 68 tackles -- matching his career high -- but a career-low one interception and according to Pro-Football-Reference.com, a career-low nine passes defended. It is the first time in his career he has less than 10 passes defended in a season.

Considering Kansas City's scheme, that should be one concern in any pursuit of Flowers.

Another one, for Detroit's purposes, is his build. New defensive coordinator Teryl Austin has said multiple times he would prefer taller cornerbacks with range. So far, the Lions have not gone after that, drafting 5-foot-9 Nevin Lawson in the fourth round of May's draft. Flowers is 5-foot-9, well below the 6-foot mark it was believed Austin had.

Adding another smaller cornerback won’t fix the size problem at the position. If the team wanted to move Flowers into the slot, they already have Bill Bentley, Don Carey and Lawson there and a move to add a slot corner doesn’t make a ton of sense for the Lions right now.

So while Flowers is talented and will likely get a look from Detroit, he may not be the best fit for the club.

June 17th, 2014, 12:41 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

allenslions wrote:
sorry guys but these reports are completely bogus.just some reporter trying to put 2 and 2 together.hey a probowl corner is available and detroit needs a corner so it has to be true.and sometimes even a players camp will leak fake rumors just to drum up interest in there player.if we do feel we need to add to the position it will be after suh,s contract and depending on who is out there and how thing are panning out in camp.i cant say never because injury,s do happen.

Tell me about Chris Greenwood. I have heard that he is not looking all that good in practice and that he is still struggling with injuries. True or not?

June 17th, 2014, 8:42 pm
Varsity Captain

ok this is the facts on chris.first he did have surgery on his hernia this summer but not because he tore it again but because he was having soreness so they went ahead and redid it with the mesh so it wouldnt act up on him again.second he has been limited to position drill and has been soreness free.he was limited only as a precaution and to make sure there is no setbacks before camp so anyone saying he has looked bad has no idea what there talking about.we all feel chris is gonna break out in a big way this season.chris and darius are gonna surprise all of you this season.

June 17th, 2014, 10:01 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Flowers is a Charger now, so hopefully Allenslions is right about our CB situation.

Personally im a little concerned...

June 25th, 2014, 9:30 am
Modmin Dude

regularjoe12 wrote:
Flowers is a Charger now, so hopefully Allenslions is right about our CB situation.

Flowers doesn't fit the new Defense. Signing him would've been a Millen move...trying to put a square peg into a round hole.

June 25th, 2014, 9:37 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

TheRealWags wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

Flowers doesn't fit the new Defense. Signing him would've been a Millen move...trying to put a square peg into a round hole.

even so, at this point I cant but think he would have been better than what we have ready to start. I like where Slay is heading, and Mathis was probably my fav CB last season, but after that, lets just say there is much to be desired.

June 25th, 2014, 10:21 am
Heisman Winner

He signed with the Chargers for a 5 mill contract, something we can't afford anyway. And I don't foresee an upgrade to the secondary anytime soon unless Suh signs (unlikely) and a good CB gets cut (again, unlikely). I'm with regularjoe, lets all hope allenslions is right about Slay and Greenwood.

June 25th, 2014, 1:14 pm
RIP Killer

Austin American Statesman wrote:
Former Lions cornerback Houston waits for next NFL shot

Shuffling side to side on a bum foot, Chris Houston surveyed his options and fired a pass downfield that was intercepted at the goal line by a high school player.

Houston, the Austin native in search of restored health and NFL employment, laughed off the mishap. Given the tenuous future of his playing career, cracking a smile must have been therapeutic.

Released eight days earlier by the Detroit Lions in part because he couldn’t shake a nagging toe injury, the veteran cornerback was in good spirits last Saturday as he instructed a couple of hundred area youngsters. His camp, co-headlined by former Texas safety Michael Griffin, took place at Houston’s high school alma mater, LBJ.

Houston and Griffin, who competed with each other for headlines as 2003 high school seniors, did not have a relationship growing up at opposite ends of Austin. In fact, they didn’t meet until four years later at a pre-draft visit with the New York Jets.

Griffin, who starred at Bowie, committed to Texas only after Mack Brown’s staff cooled on Houston when his toe started acting up.

“Same surgery I just had,” said Houston, who rebounded at Arkansas.

Funny story until you consider Houston’s release cost him at least $15 million. He called the decision mutual, insisting he and the Lions agreed that Houston is best served by getting healthy before embarking on what would be his eighth NFL season. The second-round draft pick of the Atlanta Falcons in 2007 spent four years with Detroit and last offseason signed a five-year deal worth $25 million.

Houston, who lives here in the offseason, expects to be medically cleared by August or September — too late, perhaps, to make an opening day roster.

“It was something that had to be done, because playing football when you’re constantly hurt is not fun,” he said, describing the operation as a reconstruction of his big left toe. “Health comes first. If I’m able to get back to 100 percent, I know I’ll have another opportunity somewhere.”

Though he made no excuses for his inconsistent 2013, Houston said of his hurt toe, “to be a cornerback, you need that.”

Griffin, a two-time Pro Bowl selection with the Tennessee Titans, is confident his pal will soon rejoin the league and suggested Buffalo, where former Lions coach Jim Schwartz is defensive coordinator, as a possible destination.

“Chris has been playing great football,” he said. “When a new coaching staff comes in and you’ve had injuries and surgeries and the coaches don’t know you well, it’s a business. It’s like the real world. It’s who you know.”

June 25th, 2014, 3:31 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

Chris is a great guy and buffalo would be an ideal landing spot for him.if he can be 100% again he can start for alot of zone heavy teams.

June 25th, 2014, 4:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next