View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 11:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Training Camp 2014 Thread 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Training Camp 2014 Thread
Growler wrote:
BillySims wrote:
That was quick. Baldwin failed his physical. Lions waived him last night.

Yeah, it's a little disappointing. I like to fantasize about finding a castoff first round pick who finally plays up to his potential with the Lions, but I guess it was just a silly fan fantasy.

Not at all. Without hope, why be a fan? I hope the Lions roster has elivated to the point that other teams will give us late round picks for some of the players we would have cut so they wouldn't have to compete for them on the open market. Probably more of a pipe dream. But, that don't mean I can't hope for it. And Mayhew has gotten deals like this before.

August 7th, 2014, 1:00 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Growler wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Yeah, it's a little disappointing. I like to fantasize about finding a castoff first round pick who finally plays up to his potential with the Lions, but I guess it was just a silly fan fantasy.

Personally, I think we grabbed him in the first place so the Bears couldn't get him. Emery, the Bears GM, was with KC when they drafted him, and their #3 WR just broke his clavicle. I'm not sure if the injury waiver affects the Bears' ability to claim and play him.

August 7th, 2014, 2:11 pm
Heisman Winner

Quote:
ALLEN PARK -- The Detroit Lions announced they signed defensive back Drayton Florence shortly before Thursday's practice.

Florence is at the 2 p.m. practice and wearing Darius Slay's old No. 30.

The 33-year-old is expected to vie for a reserve position at cornerback and/or nickel back behind Slay, Rashean Mathis and Bill Bentley. Cassius Vaughn, Jonte Green, Chris Greenwood, Nevin Lawson, Aaron Hester, Mohammed Seisay and now Florence will jockey for the two or three jobs that remain.

Florence is a 12th-year veteran who was among the best defensive backs still available. He was ranked by ProFootballFocus as the league's 19th-best corner last season in Carolina -- better than any Detroit corner.

He brings an experienced voice to a defensive backfield that is light on experience and depth. Mathis and Vaughn are the only other corners with more than two years of service time.

Florence spent one season with Detroit in 2012. He played in eight games that year, starting three, and had one pick with seven passes defended. He's also played for San Diego (2003-07), Jacksonville (2008), Buffalo (2009-11) and Carolina (2013).

He played in 14 games for the Panthers last year, logging five starts. He had nine passes defended and two interceptions.

Looks like Drayton's back in town, does this mean the return of the revolving door at secondary? Or is it just a savvy veteran signing?

August 7th, 2014, 5:08 pm
League MVP

BillySims wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
Lions just claimed Johnny Baldwin from the niners. He was a first rounder a couple years ago and never did much in KC and was traded to the niners last year. Guy had a huge upside out of Pitt, but has looked disinterested in the nfl. I knew he had some issues out of college, but he was awful this training camp for the niners

knew he wouldnt last very long

August 7th, 2014, 9:34 pm
Modmin Dude

DetroitLions wrote:
CAMP NOTEBOOK: Lions hold high-pressure kicking competition
Posted 16 hours ago
Tim Twentyman
Senior Writer

Coaches are always looking for ways to challenge players and put them in uncomfortable situations to see how they respond.

Kickers Nate Freese and Giorgio Tavecchio were put in such a spot during Wednesday's practice.

The schedule called for a “kicking competition” at practice, but neither Freese nor Tavecchio knew exactly what that meant.

It turns out they’d be kicking with the entire team surrounding them while yelling and taunting them.

“There were a few Italian things because those stick,” Tavecchio said of what teammates were saying to try and distract him. “Someone said, ‘Pizza Pasta.’

“It’s a pretty interesting experience. It creates some tunnel vision and really makes you focus in on your technique and execution. Pretty useful for game situations.”

When it was Freese’s turn, guard Rodney Austin started chanting, ‘Don’t freeze, Freese’ and kept getting louder and louder with it.

“They did it to rattle us a little bit and get some people in there pushing us and what not,” said Freese, who the Lions drafted in the seventh round in May to be their kicker.

“It was like one loud noise.”

The drill obviously served a purpose on the field, but a couple of players said it’s one of those team-bonding moments that aren’t designed to be, but end up being anyway.

“I didn’t realize they were going to enjoy it so much to be honest with you,” head coach Jim Caldwell said. “But we really thought that it would be something they could get into and help us create some distraction. The more the merrier.

“I’m not certain that I thought of it that way as team bonding, but it could be. We all have the same goal in mind and I think they enjoyed getting into it because they understand what we’re trying to get accomplished, number one. And they know that the result of that, whoever, comes out of the competition and does extremely well is going to help us win.”

Freese and Tavecchio rotated kicks from 36, 45, 54, 62 and 67 yards.

Freese made his attempts from 45 and 54 and missed from 36, 62 and 67.

Tavecchio made his kicks from 36, 45 and 54 and missed the last two from 62 and 67, though the 67-yard attempt looked to be only a yard or two short.

He was asked how far he could go back and comfortably feel like he could make it after practice.

“I guess 66 (yards) today,” he said with a laugh.

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions- ... 6d49072d26

August 14th, 2014, 11:06 am
Heisman Winner

Apparently, Caldwell made a statement today officially demoting Fairley to the second team, the mlive commenters are swooning over the decision as you can see if you follow the link:
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2014/08/opinion_jim_caldwells_handling.html

My biggest fear since they announced the Caldwell hire has been that, in Mahew's efforts to separate himself from Schwartz, did he go get someone like Marinelli. This Fairley decision is kinda confirming that belief for me. If they really don't like Fairley, why don't they just elevate him, give him a bunch of playtime and then trade him? He's a former 1st rounder from not so long ago, and have been making plays the last couple of years, why not just try to get a serviceable CB for him in return?? Demoting him isn't going to do any good, he'll just check out mentally and wait for his contract to expire.

August 15th, 2014, 2:44 pm
QB Coach

DayDreamer wrote:
Apparently, Caldwell made a statement today officially demoting Fairley to the second team, the mlive commenters are swooning over the decision as you can see if you follow the link:
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2014/08/opinion_jim_caldwells_handling.html

My biggest fear since they announced the Caldwell hire has been that, in Mahew's efforts to separate himself from Schwartz, did he go get someone like Marinelli. This Fairley decision is kinda confirming that belief for me. If they really don't like Fairley, why don't they just elevate him, give him a bunch of playtime and then trade him? He's a former 1st rounder from not so long ago, and have been making plays the last couple of years, why not just try to get a serviceable CB for him in return?? Demoting him isn't going to do any good, he'll just check out mentally and wait for his contract to expire.

I think your username pretty well sums up your idea. I think you're dreaming. You honestly think that more playing time is somehow going to entice a team go give up a serviceable CB? Who, for example? Everyone in the league knows what Fairley is: a guy who has never really lived up to his potential. The inconsistency, inability to keep his weight under control, etc. all show that he lacks motivation. Even in a year when he knows he has to perform if he wants his payday, he doesn't do the things he's supposed to do. He doesn't seem to really want it.

Honestly, I have no idea what you think would happen. I'm really curious how you can explain this. Under your scenario, they "give him a bunch of playtime and then trade him". Walk me through this. Do you think that somehow Fairley will magically become a consistent player and live up to his potential? Or do you think other GMs just don't know what he is? What if the situation were reversed, would you be ok with the Lions giving up a serviceable D-lineman for a former 1st round CB who never lived up to his potential? I think that would be a dumb move.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

August 15th, 2014, 3:04 pm
Heisman Winner

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:

I think your username pretty well sums up your idea. I think you're dreaming. You honestly think that more playing time is somehow going to entice a team go give up a serviceable CB? Who, for example? Everyone in the league knows what Fairley is: a guy who has never really lived up to his potential. The inconsistency, inability to keep his weight under control, etc. all show that he lacks motivation. Even in a year when he knows he has to perform if he wants his payday, he doesn't do the things he's supposed to do. He doesn't seem to really want it.

Honestly, I have no idea what you think would happen. I'm really curious how you can explain this. Under your scenario, they "give him a bunch of playtime and then trade him". Walk me through this. Do you think that somehow Fairley will magically become a consistent player and live up to his potential? Or do you think other GMs just don't know what he is? What if the situation were reversed, would you be ok with the Lions giving up a serviceable D-lineman for a former 1st round CB who never lived up to his potential? I think that would be a dumb move.

The league is filled with guys that failed at the beginning and somehow made it big when given a second chance, and I'm sure there are teams out there that might be willing to take a chance on Fairley for a reasonable price, especially considering he'll be very easy on the cap as he's still on his rookie contract. And to answer your question, Fairley doesn't need to be consistent, that is the beauty of preseason. Give him good press and put him in the game long enough for him to make one of his splash plays (we all know he's capable of them), even if it's against the 2's. Apart from Caraun Ried, who else really needs a lot of playtime on the D-line? Suh? Mosely? Fluellen?

August 15th, 2014, 3:19 pm
QB Coach

DayDreamer wrote:
The league is filled with guys that failed at the beginning and somehow made it big when given a second chance, and I'm sure there are teams out there that might be willing to take a chance on Fairley for a reasonable price, especially considering he'll be very easy on the cap as he's still on his rookie contract. And to answer your question, Fairley doesn't need to be consistent, that is the beauty of preseason. Give him good press and put him in the game long enough for him to make one of his splash plays (we all know he's capable of them), even if it's against the 2's. Apart from Caraun Ried, who else really needs a lot of playtime on the D-line? Suh? Mosely? Fluellen?

Like who? There are occasionally examples of guys who weren't high picks who are super driven and don't catch on right away (Favre, Welker), but they are so determined that they keep working hard and eventually succeed. I can't think of many high 1st round picks who initially were lazy and inconsistent who eventually "got it" and then became successful. The only one who comes to mind is Brandon Marshall, and he was a 4th round pick and once he had an actual mental disorder. Once he got that addressed he got it together. Who else? I'm not trying to be a smarta**, I really can't think of anyone. My suspicion is that the scenario you're coming up with just doesn't happen (or almost never happens). If you can point out some examples of 1st round picks who initially don't pan out and then get motivated and succeed when they get a 2nd chance, I'd love to hear them.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

August 15th, 2014, 4:23 pm
Heisman Winner

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:

Like who? There are occasionally examples of guys who weren't high picks who are super driven and don't catch on right away (Favre, Welker), but they are so determined that they keep working hard and eventually succeed. I can't think of many high 1st round picks who initially were lazy and inconsistent who eventually "got it" and then became successful. The only one who comes to mind is Brandon Marshall, and he was a 4th round pick and once he had an actual mental disorder. Once he got that addressed he got it together. Who else? I'm not trying to be a smarta**, I really can't think of anyone. My suspicion is that the scenario you're coming up with just doesn't happen (or almost never happens). If you can point out some examples of 1st round picks who initially don't pan out and then get motivated and succeed when they get a 2nd chance, I'd love to hear them.

Marshawn Lynch, Aquib Talib, Vontae Davis and Dominic Rodgers Cromartie come to mind, I'm sure there are quite a few more but they escape me at the moment. Now, they didn't all have the same issues as Fairley but all of them had issues with their first teams and did pretty well for themselves with another. You can't argue that Fairley doesn't have any value at all, he made a lot of good plays and some beast-like plays in the years since he was drafted. He does have issues but I'm sure there are teams with coaches who atleast think that they can address those issues. A good GM/Coach can make chicken salad out of chicken sh!t and we're doing the exact opposite.

August 15th, 2014, 4:41 pm
QB Coach

DayDreamer wrote:
Marshawn Lynch, Aquib Talib, Vontae Davis and Dominic Rodgers Cromartie come to mind, I'm sure there are quite a few more but they escape me at the moment. Now, they didn't all have the same issues as Fairley but all of them had issues with their first teams and did pretty well for themselves with another. You can't argue that Fairley doesn't have any value at all, he made a lot of good plays and some beast-like plays in the years since he was drafted. He does have issues but I'm sure there are teams with coaches who atleast think that they can address those issues. A good GM/Coach can make chicken salad out of chicken sh!t and we're doing the exact opposite.

Yeah I don't see it. Lynch is the only one of that group who I'd say has made it big. The other three have bounced around and none of them has done all that well. Rodger Cromartie is a ridiculous athlete and will make an occasional big play, but he's not that good. The others just haven't done much. They're ok, but hardly "made it big".

Also (and this is the larger point), none of them are the types who were big talents that lacked motivation. Well, maybe Cromartie. So maybe he's the comparison. The difference is, Cromartie made bigger, flashier plays that get noticed more. Plus the year before he was traded he had one of his best years and made the pro bowl. So at that point, he was largely seen as a very good/top player. Then he got traded, and since hasn't done much. With Fairley, you have a guy who occasionally makes plays, but is known to have weight and motivation issues. He's coming off of arguably his best year, but still wasn't a pro-bowler. Then his team didn't pick up the option on him, and he still is having motivational problems. What GM would give up a serviceable CB for that? I'm not saying Fairley has no value. Of course he has some value. I just don't see a scenario in which the Lions are able to get much in return for him. Or at least, I don't foresee them getting anyone who's going to upgrade the team. I could see getting a veteran CB who is no better than what is currently on the roster.

As for your comment about chicken salad, again, where? What coach/GM takes bad players and makes them good?

August 15th, 2014, 5:23 pm
NFL Veteran

I'm curious as to what Caldwell is supposed to say to the players working hard that he is playing Fairley over. How is Caldwell going to show players incentive for working hard when he continues giving playing time to the laziest guy at their position? Then to make matters worse Caldwell would have used loads of valuable game time and practice time on a player that wont even be on the team while the guys that are supposed to replace him have to do more with less time to learn.

Fairley isn't the type of player that does more with more time on the field, he is the type of player that will just take more plays off since he's out of shape.

August 15th, 2014, 6:50 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

rao wrote:
I'm curious as to what Caldwell is supposed to say to the players working hard that he is playing Fairley over. How is Caldwell going to show players incentive for working hard when he continues giving playing time to the laziest guy at their position? Then to make matters worse Caldwell would have used loads of valuable game time and practice time on a player that wont even be on the team while the guys that are supposed to replace him have to do more with less time to learn.

Fairley isn't the type of player that does more with more time on the field, he is the type of player that will just take more plays off since he's out of shape.

Fairley's effort is spotty, but he's also tremendously talented. Some observers have said he's the most talented player on the defense.

This thread is starting to remind me of when people ran Shaun Rogers out of town. Yes, we got rid of a guy who took plays off, but we also lost a playmaker. It's Caldwell's job to get the most of out of the talent on the roster, and that's what he's trying to do.

August 18th, 2014, 9:40 am
NFL Veteran

thelomasbrowns wrote:
rao wrote:

Fairley's effort is spotty, but he's also tremendously talented. Some observers have said he's the most talented player on the defense.

This thread is starting to remind me of when people ran Shaun Rogers out of town. Yes, we got rid of a guy who took plays off, but we also lost a playmaker. It's Caldwell's job to get the most of out of the talent on the roster, and that's what he's trying to do.

Your preaching to the choir over here. I don't think they should just drop Fairley and I believe demoting him is a good thing. Whether Fairley starts or comes off the bench is irrelevant in my eyes. He takes so many plays off as a starter they may even get the same production with him only playing on obvious passing downs.

August 18th, 2014, 10:18 am
Team MVP

Does anyone know if Caldwell/Mayhew announced who won the starting RT job? My guess is Waddle will get it.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

August 31st, 2014, 7:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next