View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 29th, 2014, 5:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Broyles 
Team MVP

Post Broyles
I'm glad we're not counting on him to stay healthy but I am pulling for this kid more and more each off season.

http://www.ryanlbroyles.com/Ryan-Broyle ... 07-26.aspx

I think he'd be a great #3 for us this year. Come on and stay healthy Ryan

July 28th, 2014, 10:40 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Broyles
more on Broyles who has been working out in the town I live this summer!

MLive wrote:
Healthy again, Detroit Lions WR Ryan Broyles looking to prove he can return to form

ALLEN PARK -- To the casual observer, Ryan Broyles' optimism is unwavering. But the Detroit Lions wide receiver, who has had to overcome three consecutive season-ending injuries, admits his confidence has occasionally faltered in the face of this steady stream of adversity.

"At times, yeah, when you come off three injuries in a row," Broyles said. "After the first one, I had no doubt I'd be able to be picked up. The second one, the third one, you start to lose a little bit of hope."

While the average person might succumb to doubt and depression when facing similar circumstances, Broyles leaned on his family, his faith and a relentless work ethic.

That's why when he was asked about the receiver's future at the NFL scouting combine in February, general manager Martin Mayhew stated with conviction, "...I believe in that man."

Five months later, Broyles is back on the practice field, a full participant in Detroit's training camp, the first where he hasn't started on the physically unable to perform list.

"It's huge," he said. "It's exciting. I can go out there and not really miss a beat. I can progress with those guys, mentally."

Broyles has a disdain for placing a percentage on his health, partially because it's a abstract question to answer, but mostly because he's been asked a couple hundred times the past few years.

On Tuesday, he comfortably stated he's never felt this good at this stage of the offseason, at least during his brief professional career. Broyles also said he's cleared all the mental hurdles which can linger after rehabbing a major injury, or in this case, three.

Broyles likes where he is at physically. He went above and beyond this offseason, training at EXOS in Frisco, Texas, where he worked on regaining the speed and explosion he had when he was setting NCAA records at the University of Oklahoma.

Now Broyles is focusing on sharpening his understanding of defenses. He knows an edge can come from understanding how opposing safeties and cornerbacks will attempt to defend Detroit's new offensive scheme and how he's able to exploit those coverages.

While this story has all the potential for a feel-good ending, nothing is guaranteed for Broyles. A former second-round pick, he's mostly worked with the second- and third-teams during the first days of camp.

"You've got a new coaching staff, so you've got to come out here and prove yourself," he said. "My biggest issue has been my physical ability to be on the field. That's something that's stacked against me, but I've been working since my first injury to get back. I'm not going to stop now."

Jim Caldwell was brief when asked about Broyles following Tuesday's practice, but the coach placed an emphasis on the receiver's availability being key.

"You know, he's out there, full participation, moving well, and I think he's doing a nice job at this point," Caldwell said.

The depth chart, or rep chart as Caldwell likes to call it, has already shown a propensity for rapidly changing. It would hardly be a surprise to see Broyles taking snaps with the first team later this week.

But if this football gig doesn't work out, Broyles may have found a second calling through his tribulations in recent years.

"I feel like I could be a therapist, or a doctor," Broyles joked. "I've had so many treatments, surgeries, rehabs. Anything lower body, I feel like I can bounce anybody back."

For now, the only one Broyles is worried about bouncing back is himself, and it appears he's well on his way.

July 30th, 2014, 11:16 am
Profile WWW
All State

Good for him and the determination he's shown but I'm looking at him the same way I did Best; he's damaged goods. I've already written him off in my mind. If they get a full season out of him great, but I wouldn't expect it.

July 31st, 2014, 12:15 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

DisgruntledFan wrote:
Good for him and the determination he's shown but I'm looking at him the same way I did Best; he's damaged goods. I've already written him off in my mind. If they get a full season out of him great, but I wouldn't expect it.

What a disgruntled thing to say.

July 31st, 2014, 12:21 am
Varsity Captain

he has an up hill battle the way fuller has improved.

August 1st, 2014, 9:10 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

allenslions wrote:
he has an up hill battle the way fuller has improved.

It certainly seems that way. Has he lost a step physically?

August 6th, 2014, 9:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]